A Burden on His Shoulders

The Incurable Disease Called Love

 

Kyungsoo took in his changing reflection. The man who stared back at him was hard to recognise. The bags under his eyes were turning darker, his skin sickly and his eyes were now constantly dry and red from the lack of sleep.  Fatigue had etched itself onto his face with no signs of it ever letting up. He needed rest but sleep continued to elude him, like trying to remember a most wondrous dream, gone by the first ray of sunlight. 

The King made an exasperated sigh. He looked older. Even white strands of  hair were protruding throughout dark curls. Kyungsoo left his mirror and took a seat at the end of his bed. His room had never felt so cold before. Navy blue, velvet draped the grand stone panel windows. Treads of silver embellished the heavy fabric in the pattern of a carnation in full bloom. A lonesome four-poster bed stood placed in the middle of the room as the only piece of furniture. Dark mahogany painted black and bedding a mix of royal blue silk, forest green velvet and dark grey cotton. Everything embroidered with the same silver pattern. The walls were stone except for a great mirror, it's frame made from pure silver. 
Overall the dominating colour found inside the castle was that of a dark blue. But for some reason, Kyungsoo had wanted Jongin's room to be dominated by various shades of warm orange. Because Jongin was inexplicably... And immensely.

Different.  


"Is his Majesty not feeling well?" 

Dazed, the King looked up to discover a worried frown on his young teacher's handsome face. It was his fifth lesson with the boy but as it would seem, Kyungsoo had dozed off.

"I am fine. Please, do continue."

The boy seemed to hesitate before uttering in a small voice.

"I cannot teach his Majesty if he is asleep."

Kyungsoo was taken aback by the blunt statement. And because he was exhausted and tired, the king snapped back.

"If I tell you to continue, you continue. "

Annoyed, Kyungsoo pulled at his deep blue robe before continuing.

"And what have you taught me so far? You speak of feelings beyond my comprehension. How am I to learn with you inability to teach?!"

"If it is his Majesty's wish, throw me back into your cell! What good is any of this when I am kept away from the people I love the most?! I'd rather be dead!"

"That can be arranged!"

Infuriated Kyungsoo left his seat and marched towards the door when someone blocked his way.

"What is this? Out of my way Suho!"

The elder servant bowed slightly, an unreadable expression present on his face.

"His majesty has not slept in a long time. Do not do anything he may regret from acting too rash. He is not a teacher but a boy. If his Majesty's wish truly is to understand love then bestow on him his patience and the time needed to improve."

Kyungsoo turned his head to look back at the boy.

"Very well. But improve quickly."

Pushing past the servant, Kyungsoo left to find his bed in the hope he might fall asleep.


Jongin released an angered breath of air, slamming his fits hard down on the table in exasperation.

"How does he expect me to teach him when he doesn't comprehend love in the slightest?! He might as well be asking me why the sky is blue!"

"The king has promised to be patient with you. You must do the same, sir."

Suho poured Jongin a glass of water before stepping away.

"I was under the impression you did not care for me at all, Suho-shi."

"Do not get the wrong idea, sir. I did not step in for your benefit."

"Then why?"

"Because the king for once wants to know of love. Something he has avoided ever since the queen's death. But what does a meagre, little boy like yourself know of love? His Majesty is wasting precious time on you and why? Not even himself knows that. What is it about you that makes you so special in the eyes of the King?"

"... You love him?"

The servant scoffed but his face betrayed him.

"You do?"

"No. I loved his father."

"You..."

"I grew up at the castle without a father. Back then the king was a compassionate and remarkable man. He treated me like his own kin... But then she died. For three years I took care of him. And for three years I cried myself to sleep. His Majesty is not a bad person. He is but a child who lost his parents before he learned to love them." 

"I did not know."

"Now you do. If you have ever even felt a smidgen of love yourself you know more than the king ever has. No matter how petty an amount, the king has chosen you. And you best teach him or no person is ever to love again."

Suddenly Jongin felt as if a heavy burden had solely been put on his shoulders.  And suddenly something much greater than himself was at stake.   

 

A/N 
Hi! Short update because... I thought it'd be nice ^^