A New King - A New Law

The Incurable Disease Called Love

"As my first task as king I see it vital to reinstate order throughout the land and to initiate the purge of the vast difference between rich and poor. Also I have taken it upon myself to establish a new imperative."

The king, now 18 of age had finally taken the throne.
He had grown into a handsome young man, taking after his mother's beauty. Milky-white skin and eyes of amber but his most distinguished feature was, without a doubt, his crimson full lips that took the shape of the heart he no longer possessed. 
For the first time since he was a child, the King was  revealed to the public and the kingdom cheered his return. Regrettably, the joy was short-lasting as the king revealed his new law to the people.

"From this day forth, falling in love shall be forbidden. Any man or woman who fail to follow my royal decree will be punished by death."

The king's word was law and the people complied.

Throughout the year there were only few casualties. In spite of this the kingdom grew richer, more powerful and the people more happy. Without love to distract them from their lives, the common man could finally focus on the job at hand.
Despite the growth of wealth, the poor was still poor. The king could not stand for this. And so he took to take regular walks through the poorest part of the kingdom to appraise the situation up close and give out whatever he could spare.

A not so special day during one of these tours, the King came upon a decrepit, little abode he had not seen before. And it was a strange sight that greeted him.
A young man in tattered clothes and thin beyond compare was happily playing with a group of equally thin and raggedy children, all laughing as they chased each other around the street. These children should have been miserable and yet all the king was able to detect was pure bliss. For some reason he was intrigued by this phenomenon, the laughing children in their rags but most of all, the young man who was the cause of their joy.
The king began to visit the laughing children more often. During the day he would quietly pass them by should they notice him but he would return to them in the cover of darkness as he hid in the shadows, watching their lives unfold.

For a year the king kept an eye out for the poor family.
He learned that the boy's name was Kim Jongin and that like himself had no parents but all the responsibility. He was the oldest of five, three boys and two girls. The next eldest of the siblings 6 years younger than Kim Jongin and the youngest almost 15 years younger.
The king had seen the family struggle through the hard times but Jongin never let his hardships show to his siblings. He always made sure to only smile in front of them. The king thought him brave to do so. During all this time, the family of five never noticed the king's presence but thanks to him, Kim Jongin was able to feed his brothers and sisters throughout the year. The king would like to think  he did not offer them any kind of special treatment. He would only give them what he gave the remaining poorer population. But sometimes that was just not enough. On his nightly visits, the king would then leave a small gift if you will. A few bags of rice, a small bushel of apples or whatever he could carry with ease. Somehow the king would relish in the moment the boy found the small offerings on his door-step. It almost felt nice to watch the boy's worried face turn from a frown to pure relief and gratefulness.

One night, as the king hid in his usual spot, a low whisper could be heard. A  blond boy he had never seen before snuck closer to the house while calling the eldest's name.

"Jongin... Jongin?"

Soon the door opened to reveal a blushing boy holding a finger to his lips.

"Shh... Come."

Was all he uttered before eagerly taking the strange boy's hand, leading him down a hidden path away from the old shack.
The king clenched his fists, although for what reason he did not know. Before soon, the King went back to his castle with a curious feeling in his chest.

As the King kept returning to the old house at night, as did the strange boy. And every time he would call out for Jongin and the two would leave down the same dark pathway.
It was curious.
In the end, the King, thinking it strange, followed the secretive  pair down the dark trail while wondering where and why the two were sneaking off so late at night.
The path was surrounded by prickling branches, was wobbly and hardly travelled and for a while the king lost sight of the snickering boys. As he finally exited the shrubbery, relief washed over him but it was quick to be replaced by something else. Something... Peculiar.
There, in front of him stood the two boys, clinging to one-another for dear life. Lips touching in innocence between happy smiles.
Unconsciously, the King placed his hand upon his empty chest. For whatever reason, it ached. Curious. Indeed.

Overcome with the bizarre sensation, the King returned to his chambers. Puzzled, the King entered his bed whilst hoping sleep would tame the odd sting.
Only, sleep never came.
Thoughts of the two boys embracing kept him awake the entire night. But why?
When the first ray of sunshine hit his forehead, the King sat up. 
Of course! At once it was obvious what was nagging him.

"GUARDS!"

When the sun descended once again to welcome the luminous moon, the King and his guards marched to the old shack.

"A blond boy will appear during the night. He will call out for the eldest to come out. When he does, capture both and bring them to me. They have broken the law and must face punishment."

The foreign sensation still tore at the King's hollow chest as he returned to his throne room, awaiting the prisoners' arrest.
Hours passed before the gates finally opened to the loud protests of young men.


"You cannot do this! Let go!"

"Do not touch him! Jongin! Are you okay?"

"Silence~!"

The King arose from his throne and stood until his order was obeyed. The two men, cuffed and surrounded by soldiers both kept quiet at the sound of the  King's voice.

Even in such situation, Jongin could still not help but think the king's voice beautiful, yet lacking something... Humane.

"Do you know why you have been brought before your King?"

Hesitant, Jongin turned to look at Sehun, his childhood friend and... recent lover.

Growing up, Jongin had lived a happy life, surrounded by loving parents, his best friend Sehun and a sibling on the way.
Sehun... The two had been inseparable as children but when the queen passed and the king let the monarchy rot away, as did their friendship. Soon families all around fell apart, the same could be said for Sehun's. As for Jongin's, his family only seemed to grow bigger and bigger and it might have continued to grow had it not been for the new king. A law prohibiting the realm to fall in love had a flaw. Not only did it forbid people to fall in love, it also denied people already affected  the right to stay together for love. Jongin's parents refused to abide this horrid law and were sentenced to death by the young king. Something he could never forgive his sovereign.

"The two of you were caught engaging in the  physical contact of lovers which is by law forbidden. Do you deny your love for each other?"

Sehun took a determined step forward, his head held high.

"No."

"Then consider both your lives forfeit. Guards!"

"My king!"

Jongin wrestled his way through the soldiers in a desperate attempt of getting closer to the young king.

"I am the one at fault!"

"Jongin!"

Sehun struggled to free himself from his capturers but to no avail. He could only watch as Jongin pathetically beseeched the king.

"See my life forfeit but I beg of you! Spare the boy I love! A boy I forced into loving me. Do not let him pay for the mistakes of my foolish heart. I beg you your highness. Please!"

Trembling, Jongin fell to his knees, bowing his head as low as possible. He could not let Sehun die. He would not allow it.
A silence descended on the throne room. Only the feeble sobs escaping Jongin's mouth could be heard. Gathering his final amount of courage, Jongin lifted his head just enough to look the king in the eye and what he saw was the expression of a child. One of curiosity.

"Very well. Seeing as you are both young and naive I shall spare your lives. Rise boy and wipe your pitiful tears. I shall spare your love and condemn him into exile. He is never to return but should he do so, consider his life undone. As for yourself. You will spend the remainder of your life as a prisoner at this castle, slowly fading into nothingness because you chose to fall in love. Take them away."

"Wait no! Jongin!"

"Sehun!"

Guards brutally forced Jongin away from his childhood friend. Panic set in and with a sudden burst of strength, Jongin managed to escape their hold. 

"Sehun! I love..."

Jongin reached as far as he could for Sehun's hand but before their fingers touched, Jongin was forcefully brought to the ground.

"NO! Jongin! Jongin! Don't do this! Jongin!"

Jongin's body ached. With his last strength he lifted his head just enough to see the guards whisk his lover away.

"Goodbye... Sehun."

Then all went black. 

 

A/N 
Heh... Well I guess you have to start somewhere :p 
Anyway, the following chapters are going to be shorter and I've no idea when I'll update but hopefully soon! 
Thank you for reading and if you have any questions or something doesn't make sense etc. do comment! :D:D 
Until next time!