My Heart Still Beats For You

Nothing Has Change

 

 “Eunsung-ah, we’re here,” Eunhyuk tapped my shoulder and I woke up. I stretched and saw that we have arrived at our destination, Incheon. “How long has it been since we last stepped at Korea?” I asked, with eyes still fixed outside the window.  “Around three years, perhaps.”

 

Three years. It had been that long since we last saw each other. We talk with each other through emails and IMs, but that was because of Eunhyuk. Will he remember me? Of course he will. I was his best friend’s younger sister, and I will only be that to him forever. “Who will pick us up, oppa?” I asked my older brother as we make our way out of the airplane.

 

“I called a lot of friends and they said yes, but I really don’t know who among them were true when they said that they will come pick us up. Knowing my friends, I don’t think they’ll come,” oppa shrugged. I was expecting for him to come today. I just wanted to see how he has been for the past three years. In my heart it was still him. It had always been him.

 

 

We were walking with our bags, expecting no one. “EUNHYUK-AH! EUNSUNG-AH!” My heart’s rhythm because fast and unsteady. I heard his voice, the voice I had always longed to hear. It was the voice I’d secretly been listening to when he and oppa are talking on the phone. I looked up to see him.

 

“LEE DONGHAE!” My brother enveloped his best friend in a hug. What did he do in the last three years? He had always been known for his handsome face matched with great dancing and athletic skills. Now he had matured and looks better than before.  His dark brown hair shines and smiled at us, making my heart melt.

 

“What’s up, fishy?!” Eunhyuk asked as he slung his arm around Donghae’s neck. “Just the same, monkey. You look like you’re still the same,” Donghae said and ruffled Eunhyuk’s blond hair. “Why did you dye your hair blond?” I heard Donghae ask my brother. Doesn’t he see me? All of his attention was on my brother. I couldn’t blame him. They are best friends, and besides, how can I forget that awkward moment we had before oppa and I was about to leave Korea?

 

 Donghae oppa was kind enough to smile at me when I entered his car. I sat at the back seat while Eunhyuk oppa sat at the passenger seat. How can things be so awkward again between? I had always like him, and I thought he saw right through me, but I was wrong.

 

I took out my Ipod and wore my earphones. I don’t want to listen to my brother’s story to Donghae. All I want is to drown unto music, well drown into his eyes. I could see him from the mirror, and when our eyes met, I quickly looked away. The song Mr. Simple played and I let my eyes fall asleep, hugging the fish plush toy I have, the plush toy that he gave me during my 8th birthday.

 

_*_*_*_*_*_*_

 

“Thanks for picking us up and for the ride, Hae,” Eunhyuk said and I entered without looking at him. We were staying at the apartment one of our cousins lived at.  I made my way to my room and began to fix my clothes. I will not be my old self who’d watch him disappear as he leaves.

 

“Eunsung-ah,” Sungmin oppa, my cousin we’re staying with, knocked at my door and I smiled. “What’s up, oppa?” I asked as I took out my shirts and folded them neatly to put in the closet. “What’s up? You didn’t even bid Donghae goodbye. Are you really Eunsung? The Eunsung I knew would wait until there’s no speck of Donghae can be seen,” he teased.

 

“Very funny, oppa, but I just thought that I’m not a child who’s going to chase him for the rest of my life,” I explained and placed my clothes in the closet. I picked up a frame with a picture me and my family and placed on top of the table. “I know that you never got over him. It’s about time for you to tell what you really tell him. Who knows, he might feel the same,” he said as he dusted off the dirt on my stuffed toy and place it on my bed.

 

“Might feel the same?! Oppa, that’s what I also thought three years ago, but what happened? I was wrong. He had a girlfriend, and I was such a fool to believe or even assume that we’d be together,” I told him. I had hoped, I had assumed, and it only left me in pain and under the rain.

 

-----FLASHBACK-----

“Congratulations!” Eunhyuk oppa hugged me and lifted me around. “You’re finally done with school,” he said and ruffled my hair. “Hey, stop it,” I said and pushed him away. “So, you know what this means too, right?” Sungmin oppa whispered to me. “I know,” I said and he smiled.

 

For that day, I spent it with my family. We ate dinner and discussed about our plans on going abroad, which means I’m gonna leave Korea, and I’m gonna leave him. I suddenly got a call from Il Woo, and I answered it.

 

“Il Woo,” I answered. “Hey, Eunsung, I know that this may sound weird, but you know that I’ve been courting you for a while now, and you promised me that you’ll give me an answer on our graduation day, right? I wasn’t able to see you afterwards, so I was hoping we’d meet later at 7?” I agreed on meeting him. Even though I really didn’t like him, he was nice and persistent. It would seem harsh, but I plan to confess to Donghae oppa today too and reject Il Woo later.

 

I asked Sungmin oppa to drive me to Donghae oppa’s house because I don’t want Eunhyuk oppa to know that I’ve been in love with his best friend since we were little children. I dressed up nicely since I want to look presentable to Donghae.

 

I knocked at his door and was holding a rose at my back. “Eunsung!” He was surprised to see me. Well, it was a surprise to confess to him. Then I noticed that he was dressed up too. “What are you doing here?” He asked.”I’m here to tell you something important,” I said and held tightly to the rose at my back. “What is it?” I was about to say something when his phone rang.

 

“Yeoboseyo? Oh, Jessica! Yes, I’m on my way,” he said and smiled. “Jessica? As in Jessica Jung, you’re coworker?” I asked. “Yes, we’re uhm, dating now,” and just like that, I clenched my jaw.

 

I felt like the world upon my shoulder. Just when I had the courage to confess, he already had someone else. After trying to make him notice me, I failed. I lost to Jessica unni, someone who’s nice, pretty and talented.

 

“Good luck on your relationship with her then,” I said and ran away with the rose on my hand. I ran passed the car and continued to run that the rain even poured down. At least with the rain, they couldn’t identify the difference of my tears with the rain.

 

“Eunsung?” I looked up and saw Il Woo. “What happened?” He asked and I just hugged him. He comforted me and from then on, we began our relationship. He wasn’t Donghae, but he was caring and nice enough.

 

We lasted for a year, but he was just there to make me happy and comfort me. I didn’t love him, so I ended our more than a year relationship

-----END OF FLASHBACK-----

 

So much for those times when he was always at my side, being the one to comfort me when I was sad and never leaving my side. He was the only person I could love, and no one else.

 

_*_*_*_*_*_*_

 

“Oppa, I’m going out for some walk!” I yelled at the two who were glued at the television screen, playing videogames. I shrugged and took my jacket as I walk out. It was already September, and winter is approaching. I smiled to myself as I walk at the busy streets of Seoul. Many things have changed over the past three years. The life became busier and faster. I see a lot of advertisement signs and shops busted with people.

 

I wanted to see how the Han River looks like and there’s a good coffee shop there, so I went there. Luckily, I brought my bike with me, and it will be easier and faster for me to go there. When I arrived there, many people were there too. I parked my bike at a coffee shop and entered. I ordered a tall hot white mocha and sat at a table. “Eunsung?” I looked up and saw him.

 

“Donghae oppa,” I whispered. “Can I sit here?” He asked and I nodded. I wanted to get over him, but I can’t. “One tall hot white mocha for Eunsung,” the barista called and I took it. I sat down at the table, and there was one word to describe the atmosphere, awkward. “Eunsung—“

 

“I’m going for a walk,” I said and stood up. I left him and sipped my coffee. I walked near the river and took a seat so I can have a better view of it. I took out my Ipod and listened to a song. Hate U, Love U played and I was about to listen to another song, but I was frozen when I saw a picture I have. It was a picture of me, Eunhyuk oppa and Donghae oppa with me in the middle. I wanted to forget the fact that I love him, but I just can’t because of the many things and memories we have created.

 

 “Beautiful, isn’t it?” I turned and saw him beside him. I looked at the side of his face, and yes, I am still mesmerized by him. Nothing will ever change. I guess it’s time to clear out things between us. It’s now or never. I was about to ask him a question, but he spoke first.

 

“So, what happened to you and Il Woo?” He asked. Il Woo, he was my boyfriend before I left. “Did he cheat on you?” He smirked. I rolled my eyes. “We broke up because I fell out of love. Long distance relationship didn’t work for us,” I answered. “Lie,” he said.  Yes, it was a lie. I never loved Il Woo anyway. It has always been you, Donghae.

 

“Why do you care?” I asked him. You never cared for me. “You still kept the fish plush toy I gave you when you were 8. You’re already 24,” he brought that up.  “I love fishes,” I answered even though they aren’t the truth. I loved it because one, you gave it to me, and two because you look like one.

 

“You don’t. Your favorite animal is a cat,” he said and crossed his arms. “So? Look, I really don’t know where this conversation is going to,” I answered and walked pass him. “This is about us,” he said and I stopped. “Us… and what happened three years ago.”

I looked at him and saw something in his eyes. He came to me and suddenly hugged me. “Why did you have to go?” He whispered. His arms were holding me tight, just like how I wanted, just like how he did, three years ago, when he found out I was leaving, and when I found out he has a girlfriend. I pushed him away and he gave me a questioning look.

 

“Did you love Il Woo?” He suddenly asked me. “It doesn’t concern you if I had loved him or not or if I have loved someone else all these years,” I said. If I’m gonna make a fool of myself, I’m gonna completely do it. “So, you really did love someone all this time?” He held my hands and made me face him. I was completely sure that I was blushing at this moment.

 

“Yes, but sadly, he had someone else on the night I was supposed to confess to him three years ago. I had loved him ever since up to now. He was the reason I haven’t had anyone else after Il Woo because he’s the only person I had love. I just don’t know if he feels the same,” I said and removed his hands from me. I walked away again, the only thing I could do best at the moment.

 

“Well what if he tells you he feels the same way too,” that literally stopped me on my tracks. I looked at him and he was still on his place. “What if he says that all these years, he only saw you, but because you were his best friend’s sister, he couldn’t do anything but watched from afar? All he did was to make sure you were safe. He cared for you more than your brother does. He was the one who picked you up and protected you when your monkey brother couldn’t. You don’t know how much he loves you that when he thought you had someone else, he felt like there’s no reason to live. He tried to forget you but he couldn’t. How can he forget the girl he had loved all his life?” He had said all of this while walking towards me.

 

“I know you love me,” he said. I widened my eyes and pushed him away.”D-don’t be confident!” I spat. “I know, Eunhyuk knows, Sungmi told us, and you’re way too obvious,” he confidently said. “What the—!?”

 

“Just admit it, Eunsung. You’re denying. If you tell me you like me, then things will be easy now,” he said. As much as I want to, I don’t know if he’s still with his girlfriend. “What about you and Jessica?” I asked, not looking at him. “Who?” He asked. “Jessica, your girlfriend,” I said. “Oh, we broke up. We didn’t last long. We were only together for 6 months,” he said. “I never had anyone after her,” he said. “Because I was waiting for you,” he held my chin and I knew I froze at that moment.

 

I closed my eyes and waited for him to kiss me. When I felt like he wouldn’t, I suddenly felt his lips on mine. The twenty four years of my life which I spent of most of my time dreaming what it would be like to be Donghae’s girlfriend or even to be able to have a kiss from him, is now a reality. When he pulled away, he gave me a cheeky smile. “So, do you love me or do you love me?” He asked me and I rolled my eyes.  I was about to get my bike when he yelled something.

 

“LEE DONGHAE LOVES LEE EUNSUNG SINCE WE WERE LITTLE KIDS!!!” I shot him a glare and he just ran to me and hugged me. “I know you love me too. Nothing has changed. We will only be for each other.”

 



 

 

 

Hope you like the oneshot. :p I tried my best, even though it really wasn't the best. T_T I wanted to give you a good gift. Happy Birthday! ^^ May you and your husband be happy! ^^