Childhood Friend

Childhood Friend

 

The sun was merciless with its blazing rays, roasting the surroundings to a dreary brown. Creamy white clouds were melted from the azure blue sky. Short distinct shadows were cast on the pavement as I quickened my footsteps to get a respite from the blistering sun that was blinding my sensitive eyes and burning my tanned skin. Beads of perspiration materialized on my skin and a gush of hot moving air ruffled my long and messy hair. The heat was giving me a head-splitting headache. How I wished I had brought my sunglasses and an umbrella to shield my body and eyes from the intense heat of the sun.  “Curse the person that made the bus stop so far from school!” I muttered under my breath.

   I was walking to the bus stop that I had been going to since I started High School. It was Evening, when school ended and I had no co-curriculum activities on that day.  I had to take the minuscule and squeazy bus back home, since there was not anyone who could take the time to pick me up from school. If there was, I would be delighted!  I took a seat at the bus stop and waited for the bus to arrive. While waiting, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I swiftly turned around and to my surprise; I saw a boy around my height wearing another school’s uniform waving at me.

   The boy had tousle-hair and had a really sharp nose, but nonetheless, he looked really cute. He was familiar; like someone that I had met a few years ago. However, no matter how deep I thought, I could not remember who he was. “Who are you?” I asked politely. His smiley face immediately turned into a sad face. “You don’t remember me? I’m Yoon Doojoon, your childhood friend!” he replied, pretending to look mad. I laughed at his childishness. I thought for a moment. Suddenly, his images flooded my head. “Oh! The Doojoon that left for Shanghai when we were six?” I said with excitement. Doojoon left for Shanghai when we were six because his father had been asked to work there. His somber look was replaced by a radiant smile that stretched like a brilliant painter’s across his countenance. I could see that his contented smile materialized from the bottom of his heart. “Yes! Do you remember me?” he asked. “Of course! When did you come back? I missed you so much!” I squealed. Well, even though we were of different genders, we were the best of friends in kindergarten. We knew each other when we were two, at the kindergarten that we studied at. He went to his thinking face. “I came back a few months ago. Maybe about 2 to 3 months ago?” he said.

   When I turned my head, I saw Bus 196 approaching. “Are you going home? Are you taking bus 196?” I asked. “Yes, I still live at the same place!” he said enthusiastically. “Great! We can take the same bus home! The bus is here, let’s go!” I pulled him while talking. We boarded the bus and took a seat right at the back of the bus. From the back view, the rows of brightly coloured seats of the bus gleamed in shiny splendor. “Do you want to hang out? Like maybe today or tomorrow? I’m too bored at home. What’s more, I want to know you more!” I said, breaking the silence. “Okay! Since I have no homework today, why not we go take a walk at the nearby park and have dinner at the nearby restaurant?” I suggested. “Fine with me!” he replied.

   We spent our time on the bus refreshing all of our memories that we made when we were younger. “Do you remember Yang Yoseob, our childhood friend?” I asked randomly. “I think I have a rough idea of his face. Why?” he replied. “He is in my class! Do you want to meet him? I can arrange a suitable time!” I asked. “Okay! Thanks anyways!” he replied with a faint smile. We recalled some of our deepest memories where we almost laughed till we ‘died’. Just thinking about it made me laugh like a “mad-woman”. “Why are you laughing?” Doojoon asked, as curiosity overwhelmed him. “Oh, Doojoon, remember the time where we blew a balloon until it got so big that it burst right in front of your face?” I questioned, “I think it was when we had to play this game in the Farewell Camp.” I continued. “Do you remember?” He thought for a moment and replied, “I think I do!” After talking, he immediately burst into laughter. “Oh yes! I remember! My whole face was red and you did not even bother to ask if I was okay! You just kept on laughing!” he said.

   I turned to look at the front and saw that we were nearing our stop. “Come on, it’s time to get off the bus!” I signaled. We took our school bags and hopped off the bus. “Bye! See you later at 3pm at the bus stop!” I shouted while we went our separate ways.

   I was really happy that I could meet my best friend after 5 years. I thought that I would never be able to meet any of my childhood friends in my life, but this attempt of me meeting Doojoon, the thought was erased from my mind. I told myself, “Miracles do happen.” A faint smile appeared on my face as I walked home happily.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you take part in this poll? Thank You So Much!