Final: The Choice

Labels

 

 

 

We Got Married. The show which partners up random celebrities in a pretend marriage – playing house, going on dates, be active in “skinship,” etc etc. Emotions are inevitably messed with, and when lines are blurred, that’s when it all enters the “It’s Complicated” territory. All at the cost of entertainment.

 

Being in WGM could be a hit or miss. It’ll either be a career suicide or a sudden shot to stardom. There are those who are forgettable, ones who are so obviously just in it for a job, and others who deliberately had the audience at its feet, making them wish that one day the ‘couple’ would make it all real. Those who belong in the latter group are the ones whose careers skyrocketed to fame and success (be it long-lasting or momentary).

 

However, there’s a price to pay, especially when you’re just a struggling rookie from a small agency, hoping to achieve a big break. He knew this, not to mention, he’s been harboring feelings for a sunbae actress he co-starred with in his debut drama. He knew that the sunbae reciprocated his feelings but caution is being practiced since his group was yet to debut. It was an unspoken agreement that they’d pursue a commitment or so when things are more stable (e.g. the fandom & income).

 

He had everything mapped out in his mind. Everything was supposed to go according to his plan which he carefully drew ,so that it’d be in line with what his agency had in store for him and his band without any setbacks or conflicts in the contract he signed. And so, when his manager announced that he was drafted to be in WGM, his reactions were nothing less of violent.

 

Sitting inside a café, with a mask and a cap to hide his identity, he chuckled as he recalled that conversation he had with his manager hyung when he was told (or rather, ordered) to be a part of WGM.

 

Congratulations! You’ve been included in the final lineup for the couples of WGM’s new season!” his manager hyung exclaimed.

 

His mood went from ecstatic (from secretly exchanging Kakao messages with the sunbae actress) to depressed (because of WGM).

 

“It’s too early for an April’s fool joke, don’t you think so, hyungnim?” he laughed nervously, hoping he heard it wrong.

 

However, his worst nightmares came to reality as his manager hyung brought out the papers which finalized the deal.

 

“No.” he declared.

 

“This is WGM! Do you know how many idols would kill to be in your spot? There’s no need to be upset. The PD promised that the longest you’ll be in it will be a year. It depends on audience reception. The longer you stay, the better. More exposure for you and your bandmates. This could really help your career.” His manager tried to persuade him.

 

“But it’s WGM hyung! WGM! WE GOT MARRIED!!!!” he shouted.

 

“So?” his manager hyung shrugged.

 

“It’s WGM!!!” he emphasized once more.

 

“It IS WGM that’s why this IS a big deal. Your sunbaes went through this too. Judging from our company’s history, I say that all the idols we put on that show gained a lot from it and nothing much to lose.”

 

He was going to argue his case but his manager hyung said,

 

“Please. I know the real reason why you’re so against this, but just for a year…can you bear with it? Please. For your members. They’re relying on their leader hyung to help them achieve their dreams in any way possible…”

 

Whenever that card is drawn, he knew when to admit defeat. It’s just a little ‘sacrifice’ compared to what they could possibly gain from being in the show. If the sunbae actress really did care for him as he believed, then one year would mean nothing. Just a year and it’ll all be over.

 

“But hyung…WGM…labels..I’m going to be stuck with it. My name would always be associated with the female actress/idol they’re going to pair me up with. There would be fanboards of the “couple” even in my band’s concerts. Those fans..I know how persistent they can be. I don’t want to be pressured to like a girl just because I happen to be “married” to her…” he pleaded back.

 

“You don’t have to. Just think of this as a job. A practice role for a drama. Just keep your feelings in check, lock it up inside and try not to be carried away with anything. The appeal of WGM is the fantasy/delusion it creates that the virtual thing transcends as a real one. Keep all of that in mind and you’ll do just fine. Just do it for you and your members.” His manager hyung encouraged.

 

Truthfully, his manager felt bad that the leader has to be “sacrificed” like this just to gain popularity for the group. But business is business and FNC has no extra funds to waste even if the company has grown.

 

He knew that even if he protested, the tables won’t turn in his favor. He just sighed deeply, his head bowed as he nodded. He felt his manager hyung tap his shoulder, an act that translates to “I’m sorry” and “I’m proud of you” as he heard him say,

 

“Besides, I heard your “wife” is a pretty female idol from a big company. They say she’s very sweet and kind too. I’m sure you two will develop a good working relationship so no need to worry much. WGM wouldn’t be so bad. Maybe you’ll end up liking her too. But then again, work is work. Ahrasseo?”

 

His manager smiled at him and he just laughed it off. WGM is just a job.

 

 

 

“Job my . WGM is just work? Bullsh*t.” he thought to himself as he laughed bitterly.

 

He recalled all those beautiful memories. From their first meeting (which was full of awkwardness), to the time he first held her hand (where his blushing & smiling face swept headlines), that day he celebrated his birthday (the best birthday he ever had so far) when she sang him that song he wrote for her (it was supposed to be a secret; he tried to be subtle with the lyrics but apparently, one line gave it away), that magical moment when they exchanged “vows” as he slipped on a ring he bought with his first income as a celebrity, and so much more. Beautiful memories that have now become sad ones. Sad because he’s not sure if he’s ever going to have the same thing again. After all, a love like that (regardless of the unconventional & complicated setup) only happens once in a lifetime.

 

“Aigoo. There you go again, thinking too much. Later on, people will mistake you as the ahjussi and not me.” an older man, presumably in his early thirties, laughed as he took a seat across from the young idol.

 

“Stop teasing him. Can’t you see how troubled he looks?” another guy stepped in.

 

“Nope. He’s wearing a mask. How could I see his facial expression?” the second guy joked.

 

The third man just shook his head and laughed. As soon as all three of them were seated, coffees and pastries in hand, the conversation reeled back on track.

 

“So, what’s up? Why’d you call us at this time of the day? Just so you know, I missed having breakfast with my wife and son just to listen to your sob story.” the second guy remarked.

 

“Psh. As if you’d do that. If I know, you asked hyungsoonim to wake you up an hour earlier than your usual breakfast so you wouldn’t have to skip a meal with her.” the third guy revealed.

 

“YAH!” the second guy said.

 

“What? It’s true anyway. You’re so attached to hyungsoonim that even I find it so creepy. It’s been what? Two years since you got married?”

 

“Three years and eleven days.” The second guy corrected, a proud smile painted on his face.

 

“Three years, plus the one year since you met on WGM, the 5 years you dated in secret, 2 in public, and then the engagement. It’s been more than a decade!!!” the third guy exclaimed.

 

“Those are just numbers. I’m still in love with her just as I was before. I fall in love with her every day and will continue to do so for the rest of my life.” The second guy answered.

 

“You’re pathetic.” The third guy teased.

 

“And you’re just jealous. That’s why I told you. You should’ve run after her. You should’ve confessed to her instead of being too focused on your career. Yah! Stop acting as if you don’t know who I’m talking about. Do you want me to show you a picture of her and her husband on their wedding day, the one wherein you could’ve been the groom if you weren’t too obsessed with being a successful solo artist?” he didn’t wait for a reply as he Googled the photo and practically shoved his phone to the third guy’s face who tried to push it away as he kept his eyes closed.

 

“See! She found another namja who was brave enough to love and marry her and now they’re both happy while you, you’re miserable. ” The second guy teased back.

 

“I’m not miserable. I’m a very successful singer and actor. I have three albums which won the Daesang, eight box office hits, and so on and so forth. Can’t even keep track of my career accomplishments. I’m practically a living legend.” The third guy cried in defense.

 

The other two just laughed and pretended to be in agreement. The sun was rising and pretty soon, the place would be filled with people. They knew that not much time is left so they geared back to the main topic.

 

“Hyung…” the youngest one started.

 

“You have two options kiddo and you’re looking right at them.” The second guy answered as he pointed to himself and the other man seated beside him.

 

“It’s either you choose your career or yourself, like I did. No complications, all accomplishments, the fame, fortune, and everything else you’ve ever dreamed and more. This is it.” the third guy said.

 

“At what cost hyung? Because I’m afraid that I can’t afford the price…” the youngest one said, hopeless.

 

“What’s the one thing or who’s that one person you don’t ever want to lose? That’s it. That’s the price.” the third guy answered, his voice filled with sadness, regret, and longing.

 

If there was any way he could turn back time, he’d never let go of her – the girl he let go so he could hold on to his dreams. He should tell this to his hoobae, but he also knew that it’s not his call to make. He knew what it felt to be in that position and he also knew that when life confronts you to make a choice, you have to do so on your own.

 

The youngest man had a battle brewing within. His mind was flooded with flashes of the past, the conversations, memories, and everything all at once.

 

“I don’t ever want to be stuck with the WGM label…”
“It’s just a job…”

“Am I falling for her?”
“I’m still me, while you, you’ve changed. Don’t deny it. I’ve seen the way you look at her and don’t hide under the pretense either that it’s just a show because we all know that deep inside, everything has been real right from the start…”

“Oppa, I l-like you too…”

“I like you a lot…”

“I’m afraid…”

 

He shook these thoughts and feelings away as he tried to focus on what his hyungs were saying. If there’s anyone else who understood his predicament more than him, then it’s none other than the two hyungs seated across from him. The two hyungs who both experienced the cruelty of the show and the bittersweet life of being a “WGM nampyeon.”

 

“She’s from SM….” He trailed off. SM Entertainment remains as a wall that no kpop company would ever dare climb over. It’s impossible to make this empire crumble. One wrong move and it could be game over for the rest of them. If they could destroy their own artists who filed those lawsuits against them, what more these people from smaller entertainment companies?

 

“And so is my wife.” The second guy said calmly as he sipped his Iced Americano. The third guy by taking a picture of that moment and threatened to send it to his hyungsoonim.

 

“I’m from FNC.” The young male idol continued, still feeling desperate and hopeless.

 

“And so are we.” The two guys chorused like it wasn’t a big deal.

 

“WGM…” the young man started again.

 

“We Got Married. Yeah yeah we know. The labels that stick, those couple gifts, the fans who wished we were “real” and etc. Name it. We’re your sunbaes in practically everything. He’s from season two while I’m from season one of the global edition.” The third guy said.

 

“You’re past that stage wherein your band is highly dependent on your fans. You have branched out into various fields –hosting, musicals, dramas, movies. There’s another generation that would soon take over the kpop scene.

 

Granted that your band still has a strong and loyal fanbase, but they’re more likely to be accepting and understanding now than they were before. If you worry about them crying foul and saying that you “betrayed” them, remember that these people would grow up, get married and move on from all this. They’ll just look back and laugh at the silliness of it all.

 

While you? You’re going to be stuck with a pile of regrets just because you let them control the choices that you should’ve made. You’ll only realize this when your fanclub members are holding their own sons and daughters during your fanmeet, begging that you get married too rather than be just a random ahjussi.

 

Look, let’s not make this any more difficult or complicated for you. The question is, do you love her?” the second guy asked.

 

The young idol was about to answer but the third guy interrupted.

 

“It’s either a “YES” or a “NO.” There shouldn’t be any “buts” included after you’ve given your answer.”

 

“Go ahead. Take your time.” His sunbaes encouraged when they recognized the conflicting emotions the youngest man in the group must’ve been dealing with.

 

The idol weighed his options and thought deeply. Before he could answer, he heard the café door opened and a beautiful lady walked in, holding a little boy.

 

“APPA!!!” the young boy wiggled out of his mother’s arms and ran straight to his father.

 

The young idol watched as his sunbae (the second guy) hugged the boy. He felt so touched seeing how happy, proud, and content his sunbae was. He longed to have the same thing but then there’s this fear, this selfishness within that urges him to reach for the stars.

 

The conflict arose within him and he knew that his sunbaes were still waiting for an answer. He tried to focus as he shut his eyes and let everything consume his thoughts and being.

 

Her smile…

That kiss…

The stage…

The fans screaming his name…

Concerts…albums…movies…dramas…

Her laughter…

His heart skipping a beat….

That simple gesture of holding hands…

Awards…trophies…titles…

 

He felt at a lost, desperation nearly pushing him to the edge of the cliff, almost as if there’s no escape. He opened his eyes and that’s when he saw his sunbae and his wife.

 

“Yo~ng! You’re drinking Iced Americano so early in the morning! Ah jinjja! Sometimes I wonder whether I’m taking care of two toddlers instead of just one.” Seohyun nagged.

 

“Saranghae.” Yonghwa answered simply. In an instant, Seohyun’s irritation vanished to thin air, her face lit up with a smile along with a hint of crimson blush.

 

“Nado saranghae.” she answered back.

 

“I swear you two are still as disgustingly cheesy as you were before. Aish.” The third guy commented.

 

“He’s just jealous.” Yonghwa mouthed. Seohyun giggled and the young idol just chuckled.

 

The third guy tried to act offended but he just laughed it off while he preoccupied himself playing the part of Jaewon’s samchon.

 

The young idol looked at the two back and forth and that’s when he knew what his choice would be. He got up, thanked his sunbaes and politely bid them farewell. Before he was out the door, he took his phone and keyed in a message,

 

“Hey…uh…wanna go grab some coffee sometime?? I..uh…I missed you…:p”

 

He felt his palms sweat and he didn’t think much of it though deep inside, he was hoping. Like, really really hoping. Not a minute later, he received a reply. He nearly jumped up and down out of joy. He just took off his cap and mask as he pumped his fists in the air. Once he calmed down, he blinked his eyes, brought the phone closer to his face as he re-read her reply:

 

“Oppa! It’s been awhile. Yeah sure. My recording ends at 4pm. Can you come by at SM by then? Would that be ok? P.S. I miss you too. :p”

 

He forgot that he took off his cap and mask. He forgot that the café was now surrounded with fans (mostly his fans, but there are also some who were there to take a glimpse of the Yongseo Couple & their cute son Jaewon, as well as Lee Hongki) and bystanders alike. He forgot that he just sneaked out of their dorm to go to the café. He forgot that he’ll probably be scolded by his manager and CEO. He forgot about everything else because he remembered the only thing that matters. HER.

 

And that’s when he knew, he made his choice.

 

 

 

 

The End.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author’s Note:

 

I couldn’t think of a male rookie from FNC since I don’t know any trainees or upcoming artist from the company. I thought of partnering him up with someone from SM. Red Velvet came into mind but since the setting of this is when Yongseo are married & are in their thirties, RV members would be older by then and wouldn’t fit in the story either. So in short, just think of a future SM-FNC idols who get thrown in WGM like their sunbaes (assuming the show still exists by that time).

 

The third guy is Lee Hongki. I did like him with Mina in WGM Global so please don’t take it the wrong way if I made them go their separate ways in this one-shot. I just needed someone to embody one of the “choices.”

 

If this confused you, I admit that it did confuse me too. The lack of name-mentioning did that. Lol. Anyway, thanks for the read. :D

 

P.S. 

The villa we live in atm got caught on fire. No one was hurt but the damage rendered the place unliveable for the meantime. T_T it's such a heartbreaking moment when i came home immediately from work to see what was left of it. Until we have recovered from this loss, I'll be on hiatus from writing any ffs. Pls do pray for us. Even if this happened, we still have a lot of reason to thank the Lord & praise Him. All things work together for good. Positive thinking. Thank you very much. See u when im ready to engage in writing stories again. Whenever that may be...