Chapter 5

Pretend to be Nice

 

Yisun arrived early for her study session on Monday. She was excited about her new plan of action and wanted to get everything ready before Yoongi showed up ; hoping he had gotten the message about the room switch. She was in room 304 now, which was one of the 3 audio-visual rooms in the school, equipped with a large screen at the back of the class and a projector.

 

Yoongi arrived around 15 minutes later, a puzzled look on his face as he saw her sitting on the teacher’s desk with a smile on her face.

 

“Ms. Jenkins said we were gonna have our sessions here from now on. How come?”

 

Yisun hopped down from the desk and walked up to Yoongi, ignoring his question.

 

“Have you seen this movie?” She asked him, flinging a DVD box in his face.

 

“Huh?” mumbled Yoongi grabbing the box. “Cool! Dunk or Die* (fake title)! I haven’t even seen it yet! Didn’t even know it was out!” he exclaimed with a look of childish exhilaration on his face; Yisun couldn’t help a giggle.

 

“Just came out recently, I think” she said answering his question. “We’re gonna watch it. That’ll be the lesson today.” She added, turning around to start the projector.

 

“Huh?” Yoongi was not getting it. “The lesson?” he looked at her incredulously.

 

She nodded and turned down the lights as the movie started rolling. Yoongi settled down in his seat and started watching. But the movie had not been playing for a minute that he started whining.

 

“Hey, you got it wrong, put the Korean version on” he told her, as if she hadn’t noticed that the movie was playing in its original English version.

 

“I haven’t got it wrong, we’re watching it in English” said Yisun, calmly.

 

“But I can’t understand any of it! It’s ruining the whole fun!”

 

“Did you forget I’m supposed to help you learn English?” she told him, raising an eyebrow.

 

“But…” Yoongi wanted to argue but didn’t really know what to say, so he resolved himself to keep watching the movie.

 

 

By the time 6pm rolled around, Yisun turned the lights on and went to stop the movie but Yoongi stopped her.

 

“Hey! What are you doing?!” he asked, grabbing her arm to keep it from the button.

 

“Our study sessions usually last an hour; we’ve already gone past…” stated the teenage girl.

 

“Who cares?! You’re not gonna stop it at the best part, are you? Leave it on!” he told her, and went back to his seat.

 

Yisun smiled and went to turn off the lights.

 

***

 

About an hour later, when the ending credits had been rolling for at least a good minute, Yisun the lights again.

 

"Ahh, that was good!" exclaimed Yoongi, stretching his arms as he got out of his chair, "shame it was in English though… but it still kicked , eheh" he chuckled.

 

Yisun didn't bother replying as she started putting the equipment away. Seeing that she wasn't adding anything, after giving his back one last stretch, Yoongi started trotting towards the door.

 

"Hey wait!" Yisun called out after him as he was reaching the doorway.

 

"What?" mumbled Yoongi, who had already pulled a cigarette out, causing a noticeable frown to appear on Yisun's face.

 

"For homework, I want you to do a –" she didn't get to finish her sentence.

 

"Homework?!" Yoongi interrupted her, half-chuckling, half-groaning. "What on Earth makes you think you can give me homework?" he went on, cackling.

 

"Well, we didn't do any actual work today so…" once again, Yoongi interrupted her.

 

"You were the one who wanted to watch that movie" he retorted, pointedly.

 

"There was an actual point to that, you know! It wasn't just for my own personal enjoyment!" Yisun flared up a little at not being able to finish a sentence before he butted-in.

 

She paused and stared at Yoongi with a look that meant 'are you gonna let me explain myself now?' and, since he remained quiet, she went on.

 

"I want you to write me a summary of the movie. In English, of course. It doesn't have to be very long or very complicated, just hold the main lines of the story." she explained, finally.

 

Yoongi stared at her, silently, and then brought the cigarette to his lips and pulled his shades over his eyes before turning to leave.

 

Yisun frowned. She knew better than to go after him and start getting on his case. She was, after all, no teacher and perhaps really wasn't allowed to force anyone to do extra homework, but she wondered if his ignoring silence meant he wasn't going to do it, if he was just trying to show how much it pissed him off, or if he was simply trying to act cool in some way that she did not understand.

 

In any case, she quickly packed up her things and left as well. Yoongi was still lingering around outside the school gates when she finally exited the building.

 

"What are you still doing here?" she asked, expecting him to ignore her once again.

 

"Waiting for my ride" he said, turning around, obviously trying to see as far back down the street as he could – even though it was obviously quite deserted.

 

Yisun nodded and made to leave – he still wasn't looking at her – but then hesitantly doubled back.

 

"You… You were in the basketball club before, right?" she asked him, hopefully.

 

"How do you know that?" he spun around, a suspicious look upon his face.

 

"we went to the same middle school" quickly explained Yisun as an excuse, wondering how he could have forgotten since he spent most of his time picking on her, amongst other things.

 

"Oh yeah… right…" the look of suspicion left his face and he went back to staring down the street.

 

Again, Yisun made to leave, but this time he was the one to turn around.

 

"Why d'you wanna know that?" he asked her, almost shrugging, killing time.

 

"Oh, well, just wondering… that's what made me think you might like that kind of stuff…" she answered, immediately feeling stupid for saying it and staring at the sidewalk as though it had become suddenly very interesting.

 

There would have been an awkward silence if the sound of a loud rusty car had not been suddenly heard coming up the street, blasting rap music shamelessly.

 

"Well, that's my ride!" said Yoongi, running up to the car that was screeching along the street and stopped a short distance away to allow Yoongi to hop in the back seat.

 

Yisun was left standing there, looking at him. She could see him talking with his friends who were all laughing, but he had run so fast to reach to car that he was now out of earshot and she had no idea what they were talking about. So, not knowing what else to do, she turned around and made for home.

 

"Hey man, who's that girl?" asked one of the guys next to Yoongi in the car, pointing at Yisun.

 

"I dunno" shrugged Yoongi, barely glancing at Yisun.

 

"Weren't you talking to her?" asked the other one, in the front seat.

 

"No way, man. I don't go for nerds." He retorted, seriously, and then broke into a grin, "well, except for their lunch money" he added as they all started laughing.

 

And then, with another screech of tires, the car started moving again and zoomed past Yisun, only to disappear around the next corner.