Neuf

Saving Kim Hanbin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

Before Mihyun knows it, she bolts to the direction of Hanbin, her white night gown swirls in the air like a thick fog. A sense of panic surges through her veins, sending a cloud of dread to loom over her head like dark clouds with crackling thunders of worry. Her mind races at the thought of injured Hanbin. What if the wound is fatal? What could she do? She doesn't have any equipment to mend Hanbin, not even a cloth to stop the bleeding. Pushing all of those thoughts away, Mihyun increases her speed, feet touching and leaving the ground almost too quick— one wrong step and she'll came tumbling down. She comes to a halt directly in front of a writhing Hanbin.

 

Getting down on her knees, Mihyun's eyes scan over Hanbin's body in search of a fatal wound. When she finds none, Mihyun has no other choice but to ask the wounded boy. "What happened? Did you get hurt?" She knows it's a foolish thing to ask, seeing how Hanbin is crying out in pure anguish as if he'd been stabbed multiple times, yet none of the wound is evident. But nevertheless, he's definitely been hurt one way or another.

 

His wails cease to a faint whimper as he looks up to Mihyun. "Save me," he pleads, eyes shining with hope, looking up at Mihyun as if she's a saint.

 

"Listen, Hanbin, you have to tell me where the injury is." Mihyun trembles at the sight of blood pooling around them like a red ocean. What if Hanbin runs out blood? What if she couldn't save him? What if—

 

"No," he shudders, his ragged breath preventing him from getting any words out of his mouth. "Save me," Hanbin begs.

 

Though her attempt at asking Hanbin is futile, Mihyun doesn't give up. She moves to search for any injuries on Hanbin's body. Her face twists in confusion as she finds none— absolutely none. Not even a single scratch.

 

Mihyun comes to an abrupt halt, frore in fear as Hanbin's body stopped moving right in front of her eyes. Her mind seems to dysfunctions while trying to process the situation, and instead of thinking lucidly, Mihyun explodes into a full-blown panic mode. She starts to scream out Hanbin's name, shaking him in hope for him to wake up. Her shaking fingers roams on Hanbin's wrist, forlorn to feel his pulse. None. Mihyun opts for his neck, fingertips ghosting over his pulse point, hoping Hanbin's heart is still beating.

 

Nothing.

 

"Hanbin?" Mihyun is now a mess of frantic shouts. She looks around, searching for literally anything to get her and Hanbin out of this situation— and to get Hanbin to wake up and start breathing again. The thought of a dead Hanbin is terrifying to Mihyun. Sure, she may loathe him on a daily basis, but in this situation she doesn't look at him as an enemy, more like an injured person who needs help. No matter how much she claims to hate him, Mihyun's never wished death upon him.

 

"Wake up!" Mihyun's voice wobbles at the sight of a pale, lifeless Hanbin. "Hanbin, please!" She pleads, still shaking his shoulder in an implausible attempt to bring him back to life, "Wake up!"

             

 

 

 

 

 

             

"...hyun-"

 

"Mihyun,"

 

"Wake up, Mihyun."

       

Mihyun's eyes shot open, wide and alarmed. Her pupils are dilating, trying to adjust themselves in the bright room. She sees a familiar strawberry blonde hair and  cranes her neck to look at the person standing beside the infirmary's bed. When she's a hundred percent sure it's Hayi, she lays back down, relief washing over her in gentle waves.

 

"Bad dream?" Hayi prompts. Mihyun closes her eyes momentarily, taking a deep breath to sooth the erratic beating of her heart. It felt so real. She takes a second to appreciate that she's here, at the infirmary, neither dead nor alive Hanbin in sight.

 

"Yeah," Mihyun sighs, "Did I say something while I'm asleep?"

 

Hayi shakes her head, "You just sounded like you're about to cry." Noticing the look of bitterness on Mihyun's tired face, Hayi puts her hand on Mihyun's shoulder and squeezes it gently. "Was it about him?"

 

Mihyun's heart skips a beat upon hearing the word 'him'. It's been so long since she last thought of that person, yet when someone or something reminds Mihyun of him, bits of memories still flicker before her. She shake those thoughts away, shifting her focus back to Hayi. "No," she says, "Weirdly, it was about Hanbin."

 

Hayi seems taken aback by Mihyun's answer, "Really?" She searches for something on the tiny table beside the infirmary's bed. "What was he doing in your dream?"

 

"He was injured. There was a lot of blood, but the strange thing is I couldn't locate his wounds. He had literally no injury or some sort on his body." Mihyun shifts into a sitting position as Hayi comes back with a vacuum flask. "And then he... died." She gazes off into the distance, Hanbin's plea and his face when he begs her to save him are still fresh on her mind.

 

"That's weird," Hayi says, unscrewing the lid of the vacuum flask and giving it to Mihyun. "Maybe you're thinking way too much about him."

 

Mihyun curls her fingers around the circular lid as Hayi pours the content of the vacuum flask into the lid. The scent of apple followed with a tint of steam wafts through the air, easing Mihyun's tense nerve all at once. "Yeah, maybe I am." She says, dropping the subject. She doesn't feel like talking about it.

 

She takes a small sip of the cream-colored drink and strings of warmth immediately course through her. The sweet and sour flavor of apple bursts on her taste buds, tingling her tongue along with other ingredients Mihyun can't identify. To say the dr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter