Dix

Saving Kim Hanbin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

A/N: i changed my username! (shut up, who cares) okay that's not important- goodness gracious, 300+ subscribers? is this real life? i just want to thank every single one of you who subscribed, commented, and upvoted! it really means a lot to me and i love you guys! so here's the thing: the last nine chapters maybe boring and dull, but they're just the tip of the iceberg ;  ) this is when things get pretty serious, and holy poop, the 10th chapter is 4.1k! this is the longest thing i've ever wrote ._. anyway, enjoy the story and as always, i apologize for spelling and/or grammar mistakes. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The morning sunlight glints through the window, pinkish and pale gold. A figure bundled in blankets lay asleep on the bed, soft snores floating in the air. The person's hair looks more like a bird nest, sticking out in every direction like it has been blown by a strong wind. She's not as pale as a white canvas as she was yesterday, her exhausted look replaced by serenity. 

Mihyun may not be the most graceful person— nor she has the most sophisticated posture when she sleeps. hangs open, a trail of drool makes its way to her pillow. Buried underneath layers of comforters, her limbs bend and twist in awkward angles that the position almost seems uncomfortable. Still in her deep slumber, Mihyun doesn't budge an inch when her alarm clock blares, shouting at her to wake up with every beep. When she finally moves, she slaps her hand on top of the alarm clock and the beeping stops.

Normally, at this hour Mihyun would step into the shower, getting ready to go to school. But not today, since Mr. Song had forced her to rest at home. As a father, he certainly doesn't want to experience the kind of horror he got yesterday when Ms. Choi told him Mihyun almost fainted. He wants to be completely sure that Mihyun has enough time to recover. So here she is, drifting back to her dream world in a matter of seconds. 

She wakes up some time around 10 AM, descending down the stairs to find breads from her favorite bakery placed on the kitchen counter with a yellow sticky note attached to it. 
 


auntie will bring you lunch and make sure you eat dinner. remember your laptop!
 


Chuckling, Mihyun shakes her head and grabs the bear-shaped bread, unwrapping the plastic and biting its head. Somehow, her father's note reminds her of Hanbin's— well if it's really from him. "But wait, is it really him who wrote it?" she asks herself out loud. Now that there's nobody else in the house, she can do whatever she wants, including talking to herself.

First off, there are four people whose name starts with H in her class. First is Hayi, who might be the one that wrote the note. Perhaps she wants to apologize because she wasn't there to help her when Mihyun feels like she was about to pass out. But why send her a note? Hayi could always talk to her about it. That's the thing that makes her a bit skeptical it's from Hayi. Plus, it's not Hayi's handwriting. Her handwriting is loopy and small, a little bit on the cursive side. 

Then there's Hanbin, the most likely suspect in Mihyun's opinion. Looking how the handwriting is messy and almost unreadable, you can clearly see it's a boy's. The 'sorry' part might be about him not helping her at the hallway yesterday. "If it's actually him, I'm surprised he feels sorry and told me about it," she says, leaning against the kitchen counter and munching on her tuna-filled bread to fill her stomach.

The other two are Hongjun and Hani. They have the least amount of possibility because Mihyun never really talk to them unless it's necessary and there's no reason for them to apologize to Mihyun.

Already gathering her burning determination to seek the answer of her tons of questions, Mihyun convinces herself not to back out at the last minute as she tends to do. Tomorrow, for sure, she's going to ask Hanbin about everything no matter how cold his reaction is. Most people find it hard to stare directly at Hanbin, because he has the kind of eyes you avoid meeting in a gaze if you can, but instead of being intimidated, Mihyun finds herself being drawn into them, which is odd. It doesn't take her long to realize she doesn't look at Hanbin like a person, more like a math problem that needs solving. Something about the boy definitely sends a tinge of curiosity down her spine.

Her phone rings when Mihyun is sprawled on the couch with a bag of chips between her armpit while she's watching her favorite reality show. Upon hearing the ringtone, she fumbles to find her phone. Mihyun is pretty sure it's somewhere between her and the couch. After a few moments of tossing whatever that lies on the couch, she finally has her phone in her hand. She hesitates for a second and stares at the unknown number that's flashing on her screen. Oh well, no harm done, Mihyun shrugs before picking up, and a familiar voice greets her, "Yah, what took you so long?"

"Hayi?" Mihyun asks, a bit perplexed to hear Hayi's voice because she knows it's not Hayi's number. Besides, Hayi's number is saved on her phone as 'blondie' and she also has a different ringtone for Hayi.

"No, it's Principal Jung," her voice is thick with sarcasm, "Of course it's me! Why'd you sound so freaked out?" 

"Um, maybe because it's not your number?" Mihyun answers, stating the obvious. "Whose phone are you using?"

"Mino, duh," Hayi says as if it's the most blatant thing in the world, "My phone is in my bag and I'm too lazy to get it— okay, I need to tell you something. It's really important."

"O…kay?" Mihyun's eyebrow climbs up, "What's so important that you have to use Mino's phone?"

"So," Hayi pauses for a dramatic effect. She likes that kind of thing— you know, building the suspension and Mihyun honestly thinks it's negligible. "Hanbin asked about you."

Hearing Hayi's words, Mihyun jolts to a sitting position, "He what?!" She shrieks in demand, wanting to confirm she doesn't mishear anything. The thought of Hanbin asking something about herself is incredulous for Mihyun. Anyway, why would Hanbin ask about her? Last time she checked, he did nothing when he found her in the hallway.

After a couple of seconds, Hayi's voice makes its appearance again. "Could you keep it down? Goodness, you're hurting my ear again," Hayi says through gritted teeth.

"Sorry," Mihyun cringes, "Can't help it. So he asked you about me?" Correcting her legs into a proper sitting position, she puts the bag of chips on the coffee table in front of the sofa. She wouldn't want her chips to spill or crushed accidentally.

"Uh-huh," Hayi answers, "Well, he asked Chanwoo. And then Chanwoo asked me, and I, being the nosy person I am, asked why he's suddenly concerned about you." The sound of Hayi's tongue clicking fills the gap between her sentences, "Chanwoo spilled the beans just like that. Man, he's too naïve for his own good."

Mihyun's thoughts drift back to the note she found on her table. Is it possible? she thinks to herself. The chances that it was Hanbin who wrote it greatly increases, and the more she finds herself asking the same thing over and over, the more certain she becomes. All she needs now is the confirmation from Hanbin himself.

"What was that?" Hayi asks, and that's when Mihyun realizes she's been thinking out loud. "What's possible?" 

"Hayi, you didn't put a note on my desk yesterday, did you?" Mihyun prompts. She wants to be completely sure that it's Hanbin, not Hayi nor Hongjun nor Hani.

"Why would I do that? I could always talk to you." Is Hayi's answer. "What's this about?" 

That's whay I'm thinking too. Chewing her chapped lower lip, Mihyun takes a deep breath before speaking, "I found a note that said 'sorry and get well soon' on my desk yesterday, and on the bottom there's a letter H," Mihyun explains, "I thought it might be you."

"Whoa there," says Hayi after a brief silence, "this is getting really, really weird."

"It is weird from the beginning," Mihyun sighs, pinching the bridge of her nose in frustration. "But Hayi, I don't know why—"

Mihyun's words are cut off by hectic scrambles from the other line, "Shoot, I got to go. There's Mrs. Han in the hallway." The cold-blooded teacher is known to despise students who use their phone in school. You never want to get caught using yours in front of Mrs Han, unless you want to say goodbye to your phone forever.

"Listen, if there's anything I could say about your situation, is that you're being too stubborn about hating him," Hayi rushes her words out, "I'm not saying that you should be friends with him, but at least— at least give him a chance."

Before Mihyun could reply, Hayi's voice is replaced by a beeping sound, and the line went dead. With a small frown marring her face, Mihyun drops back to the couch, Hayi's words still haunting her head. She tries to eradicate the fog in her head and think with a lucid mind. Normally, Mihyun is not a big fan of aloof and distant people. She thinks it's unpleasant to see people with i-don't-give-a-damn look plastered on their face. Hanbin is one of those people, and while others are ducking their heads down because of his cold behavior, she is literally irritated by his guts and his peculiar actions, yet interested at the same time. 

Perhaps Mihyun is being shallow, judging a person by their looks and without getting to know them first. But can you really blame her? After all, Hanbin did pour orange juice all over her on purpose while she accidentally bumped into him. Plus, Hanbin judged her too without any reasons and decided to give her a lesson by pranking her. Who's the childish one here?

Honestly, Mihyun feels a tad immature too. It's so not like her to hate on p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter