001

First Love

Chapter One – The First Confession

 

“Will you be my girlfriend?”

I was never able to stand out among the crowd, and neither was I able to excel like others. For a person like me to receive such a confession, I wonder if it was a dream or not.

He confessed to me yesterday during dusk…

 

 

“Joohyun! Where have you been? The match is going to start, and you are just running into the gymnasium now with the uniforms!” the teacher, Mr.Lee, yelled at the top of his lungs while hopping around in anger as he spotted Joohyun walking in.

The latter staggered into the gymnasium while fumbling around with the white pieces of uniform in her hands as her face turned beetroot red. “Yes sir!” she exclaimed, while widening her steps as she rushed towards the raging teacher.

While heading towards the direction of the teacher, Joohyun missed a footing as she tumbled forward while watching the white uniforms flew up into the sky. ‘Oh my God! I am so screwed this time. W-Wait. I-I am falling!’

“Hey! Watch where you are going. It is dangerous to enter the arena with protective gearing,” a deep voice broke her train of thoughts, as Joohyun groaned slightly. Glancing up at her savior in embarrassment, she apologised profusely,” I-I am sorry!”

Just as she was going to regain her composure, her saviour began to exclaim,” Hey! Wait!” Joohyun widened her eyes at the sight of another student, dressed in the protective gear, while holding a wooden stick as he lunged at both of Joohyun and the other student.

‘I am going to get hi-‘

Joohyun braced herself from the oncoming hit as she cringed in her spot, but a second later, she heard the sound of a loud tap. Cringing even further, she then heard the attacker apologising, while her saviour grumbled,” Idiot! I told you to wait, didn’t I? I am so sorry.”

‘S-Sorry? I didn’t even do any- Oh.’

Joohyun’s vision was fixated on the person in front of her. Another saviour with slight broad shoulders, and even taller than her. His pose was strong, as he held his own wooden stick out against the attacker’s stick with only a hand. Just as she was about to mutter a ‘thank you’, the latter spun around and she froze in her spot while cheeks grew even redder.

“I am so sorry! If you didn’t stop the hit, I could have almost hit her! I am so sorry, Luhan-ssi!” the student apologised again, while holding his hand up in an apologetic manner.

‘Luhan-ssi… He is the one who saved me.’

She was about to open to thank him, when a loud voice echoed through the gymnasium, causing the other students including Joohyun to jump along. “Luhan! You are late again. How many times must I tell you to wear the protective gear when you enter the arena? You can’t practise and you can’t enter without it!”

‘Yonghwa sunbae-nim.’

Without throwing the older senior a glance, Luhan turned around on his heels while commenting over his shoulder,” If there is someone who is stronger than me, and can defeat me, I will wear my protective gear.” He then headed back towards the direction where he came from with an expressionless face.

“That is the vice-captain of the team. Luhan is younger than me, and he just said such words to him,” some students whispered among themselves.

Joohyun glanced at the student, who chided Luhan, and watched as his face turned bright red. The teacher from far seemed to notice the commotion, and was about to step forward when Yonghwa yelled,” Hey! Mind your language you grade 8 rascal! I am your senior, and at least show some respect! Don’t get so cocky you idiot. Let me change that stupid attitude of yours!”

The other students frowned at the senior’s words, but Joohyun read his movements faster as she watched him raised his wooden stick, while charging at Luhan. “Watch out!” she yelled out loud, as Luhan stopped in his tracks, while glancing slightly over his shoulder.

Joohyun shut her eyes slightly just in time to see Luhan turned around swiftly while raising his stick in front of him, just as Yonghwa struck down on him and let out a grunt.

“Not bad, but practise more before confronting me, sunbae-nim,” Luhan commented, as Yonghwa gritted through his teeth as he tried to press Luhan down but it was useless. Within a blink of an eye, Luhan twisted his stick around, and the next thing was that Yonghwa was flipped around as he laid sprawled on the ground.

There was a short, and tense silence as everyone witnessed what had just happened. A student, who is even barely a junior, struck down a senior, who was the vice-captain with just a single move.  

“He is really good. He even beat the vice-captain who was the runners’ up in last year competition!” a student near Joohyun, whispered softly to his friend beside him.

“I know right. He is just an eighth grader, but he can easily beat a senior. He is just that good that he hasn’t met his match yet.”

“But it is strange. No matter how many times he win, he will always wear an expressionless face, and never once had I saw him smile!”

His friend then chuckled, while commenting,” That’s why he is known as the ‘Mighty Ice Prince’!”

Joohyun then turned towards Luhan, who paused in his tracks while looking over his shoulder. He then made an eye contact with Joohyun, as her face blushed red.

Doki! Doki!

Joohyun then pressed her hand gently against her chest, and felt her heart racing even faster under the gaze of Luhan. Strange.

 

“Will you be my girlfriend?”

Joohyun looked at the latter before her, and held her breath. Standing before her was none other than the ‘Ice Prince’, Luhan. ‘Ah! As usual, there is no trace of expression on his face.’

She stood there, dumbstruck as she tried to find words but nothing came out. She didn’t know how to response. One moment she was just arranging the gymnasium equipment, and next thing was Luhan standing before her and confessing to her.

“You don’t need to give me an answer now. You can take your time and think through it.”

With that, he gave a short bow and walked towards the males’ locker rooms, leaving Joohyun standing there with a blank look. Her face was flushed red, and her heart was racing. Strange.

 

***

“Joohyun, wait!” a familiar voice shouted, as Joohyun froze in her steps just as she was about to leave the gymnasium. She turned around with a shocked look, while greeting the lady,” S-Sunbae-nim!”

Her senior, Sooyoung, with an angry look stomped towards her while holding out the familiar white uniform while yeling,” You didn’t clean the uniform properly! How many times do I have to tell you to use wet tissues first, before dumping it into the washing machine?”

“I-I am so sorry!”

“Geez! Why can’t you do things properly the first time? Why must you always make others do the extra work, and redo what has been assigned to you?”

‘Ah. Luhan is watching,’ Joohyun spotted Luhan from the corner of her eye, staring at her with no expression as usual. She wished the ground would just open and swallow her up there and then.

“I am so sorry,” she bowed again, while cringing as Sooyoung went on. “You are the club’s manager! You are supposed to be doing a good job, and not slacking around the corner and not doing it correctly! Please be more serious with your work, Joohyun! You are just hopeless!”

The latter nodded her head, while apologising profusely.

‘T-That’s true. I can never do things properly. H-How come someone as respectable and admirable as Luhan like me? I-It must be a mistake,’ she bit her lips, while apologising as she controlled the tears that were building up in her eyes.

Just as Sooyoung was going on to lecture her, a familiar voice beat her to it,” Sunbae-nim, I think seongsaeng-nim is looking for you in the meeting room.”

“Oh, Luhan-ssi. He did? Thanks,” Sooyoung replied, before facing Joohyun who was still lowering her head,” I expect better work from you next time!” Joohyun mumbled another ‘sorry’, as Sooyoung dashed off towards the exit.

She then reached her hand out, and wiped her tears when something soft and light landed on her head. Joohyun sniffed softly, when she listened to the same voice again,” If you want to cry, at least don’t let others see before you get another scolding. Go to the locker room. I will clean up here.”

“T-Thank you,” she mumbled as she gave a slight peek from under the towel, and was surprised to see Luhan bending over as he moved the mats away. Joohyun blushed slightly, before turning around when he added on,” You are not hopeless. Don’t take it to heart. You are someone who is worthy.”

 

“So, you were scolded again?”

“Yoona,” Joohyun groaned, while ping her jacket as she removed it. Her best friend, Yoona, laughed before throwing her an apologetic look,” I am sorry that I couldn’t come to your help! Sooyoung sunbae-nim was just so scary, and I didn’t have the courage.”

Joohyun gave a small smile, as she threw her school blouse over her as she buttoned it,” It is okay. It isn’t your fault anyway. God, I wish you didn’t recommend me to become the club’s manager. I am just not cut out to be the manager.”

“What are you talking about, Joohyun? How many times do I have to tell you to throw away that negative thinking and shy personality of yourself? You are so much more than that, and I am sure just a few more rounds, you will be adjusted to this job and will even be exceling it.”

‘The word ‘excel’ is never in my dictionary.’

“Which is why I put you out there in front of a huge crowd of people, to overcome that thinking! Try harder, and I believe that you can do it!”

Joohyun said nothing, as she threw her school tie around her neck. She then silently thought to herself,’ Am I really able to do it? Somebody like me, am I able to change? If it is true, what can I cha-‘

“I will be heading off first! Quickly change into your uniform, Joohyun!” Yoona exclaimed, while exiting the locker room. Joohyun then lifted her head, while frowning,” What?”

“I got council meeting, so I have to go first. One more thing, your tie is slanted again! See you tomorrow!”

Joohyun glanced down at her school tie, and groaned,” It is always slanted.” She then redid it again and again, before sighing,” I am really bad at tying ties.”

‘I should leave now,’ she thought to herself, as she grabbed her bag as she walked out of the locker room. Looking around the gymnasium, Joohyun spotted nobody else loitering at the gymnasium and headed towards the exit. Just as she was about reach for the doorknob, the door swung open as she walked right into something hard.

“Ouch. Ugh. Sorry.  Sorry,” Joohyun mumbled nervously, while rubbing her nose. She then stared right in front of her, and was surprised to see a student before her. Looking up towards the face, her face turned red, as she greeted,” L-Luhan-ssi!”

There was no expression on his face, as he stared at her. “I-I. Uhm-“

“Your tie is always slanted. Do you not know how to tie?” he asked softly, while reaching out and held the soft fabriv in his grasp. Joohyun glanced down at her tie and blushed even redder. She was embarrassed by the fact that Luhan noticed that her tie was slanted.

‘Always slanted? H-Has he been watching me?’

Joohyun tried to find words to explain herself, but end up making a fool in front of him as usual. Luhan then tugged the tie, and it went loose. She widened her eyes, as he held both ends.

“Uhm,” she began, while trying to back out when he said,” Don’t move.”

Luhan then inched his head closer, while tying her tie in silence. Doki! Doki! Doki!

‘God, I can feel him so close to me.’

She watched while Luhan silently did her tie, as she secretly studied his features. His eyes are huge and sparkling, and his eyelashes were long. His fingers were beautiful, and his hair smelt good.

‘E-Everything about him is perfect. This hurts. T-This hurts,’ she thought to herself, as she lowered her head to prevent Luhan from spotting her tears that were building up. Luhan then lowered his hand, while staring at her tie,” Done.”

Joohyun then nodded her head, not lifting it any higher. He then reached out towards her chin, and lifted it up. His eyes widened at the sight of the tears in her eyes. He then brushed his fingers gently across her lips, while leaning closer as he hovered over her.

‘W-What is he doing?’

Joohyun shut her eyes, as her tears flowed down her cheeks as Luhan moved closer towards her lips. She then thought back to her senior’s words about her being hopeless, and her thoughts to when she studied how perfect Luhan was. She will be nothing but only a rock damaging Luhan’s path. Liking her must a mistake.

“N-No,” she whispered, while stepping back from his grasp. Luhan blinked his eyes, and watched as her tears flowed down. Joohyun wiped her tears, while mumbling an apology before dashing away.

“No matter what happens, I will never be perfect with Luhan-ssi. I-I will only pull him down,’ Joohyun sobbed, while she ran out of the gymnasium, and into the school corridor before bursting into one of the empty classrooms. Dropping her bag onto the floor, she covered her face with her school uniform, while sobbing softly. She has fallen for Luhan a long time ago.

 

***

“Joohyun, will you cheer me on?” Yoona asked, while waving the wooden stick in the air excitedly. Joohyun nodded her head, while smiling at her best friend. It was the competition – a competition for their club : Chanbara – and every student in the club has took part in the competition.

Just then, she felt another presence beside her and she turned her head just to see Luhan looking at her. She then blushed red, before turning back to face her friend. ‘Stupid. I-I am supposed to give an answer by today. I-I am going to say yes.’

As Joohyun sort out her thoughts, and prepared herself to face Luhan, a hand reached out and grabbed her wrist tightly. Widening her eyes, she turned around to see Luhan staring at her with no expression.

“Joohyun. What I say previously, before forget about it.”

“E-Eh?”

“About ‘will you be my girlfriend’ that part. Please pretend that nothing had happened, and you heard nothing about it. That was a lie, so-“

Joohyun stared at his uniform, while trying to grasp the situation. She then lowered her head, as she can feel her tears threatening to spill. ‘Ah, I knew this was going to happen. It is predictable. A person like him to like me is impossible.’

“I-It’s alright. It is how I expected to be, so it’s alright,” she replied, while rubbing her tears away as she shut her eyes. Grasping the rim of her shirt, she carried on,” I expected it, so it’s alright. It is fine. I didn’t take it seriously anyway. It is alright.”

‘I knew right from the start that such a thing will happen. It is alright,’ Joohyun thought to herself, as she broke free from his grasp, as she turned around and fled towards the exit of the gymnasium while covering her face.

“Joohyun!” Luhan shouted, and was about to run after her when the club’s teacher called out to him,” What are you doing here, Luhan? You are going to be next. Hurry up and get ready!” Luhan stood there, as he watched Joohyun’s backview with a pain expression.

 

Joohyun leaned herself against the wall, while thinking to herself,’ I am really an idiot. I did not have the courage to tell him. My heart races by itself, and I have fallen for Luhan-ssi. I-I am really a useless person!’

Wiping her tears, she stared at the ground while walking aimlessly. Just as she was about to walk to the washroom, she heard a voice calling out to her.

“Joohyun!”

“Yoona!” Joohyun frowned at the sight of her best friend, running towards her while panting. “W-What’s wrong? Did I forget to bring another set of uniform? Or did I forget to refill the water bottle?”

Yoona shook her head, while holding on to her friend’s hand,” None of that! Luhan-ssi is in trouble!” Joohyun’s eyes widened at the hearing of that.

 

The bell rang twice, as the murmurs in the gymnasium filled the air. “Luhan-ssi, are you okay? Can you stand up?” the referee asked, while approaching the male, who was sitting down on the mat with a dazed expression.

Joohyun shoved herself through the crowd, with Yoona beside her. Reaching the front, she was surprised to Luhan sitting instead of standing.

“What kind of guy is he? Such an easy opponent, how can he not defeat?”

“He seemed to be daydreaming. He isn’t concentrating at all. Look at his face.”

Joohyun studied Luhan’s face beloew the gear, and mumbled,” Luhan-ssi.” Her heart ached to see the blank expression on the male’s face. She watched as Luhan get up slowly, but no energy or motivation to hold the wooden stick. His opponent charged at him, and before Luhan can defend himself, the opponent struck him on the shoulder.

‘If he is going to carry on to be like this, he might lose!’

She clasped her hands together, while watching the match. The murmurs were getting louder, and it was annoying to her ears.

“He is pathetic. Anyone can easily block that hit.”

“I know right. I head he was the best, but I guess it was all words only. He couldn’t even defend himself.”

Joohyun shut her eyes, as she listened to the strong and harsh comments around her. She then exclaimed,” He isn’t pathetic! He is the best! What they said about him is true! L-Luhan-ssi is great at this sport, and it isn’t a lie!”

“J-Joohyun,” Yoona whispered at the sudden outburst of her friend, as Joohyun yelled at the crowd behind her. The others just stared at her with weird looks, and Joohyun clenched her fists,” He is the best! He can defend himself, and so can he strike!”

She then turned around, to see Luhan looking at her from below the gear. She then said again,” He is the best! L-Luhan-ssi, give it your all!”

“You know, you are really pathetic to have a girl defending for you when you can’t even defend for yourself. Can you be serious about this at least like how she is serious about protecting you? Even though you are going to lose-“

‘E-Even though I can’t tell him about my feelings, this is the most that I can do for him!’

“The one that is going to lose is you!”

Joohyun smiled, as she heard Luhan’s voice loud and clear, and so did the rest.

“Did you hear that? He said that he is going to win. How is that even possible? Loo-“

Before the crowd can even carry on to comment, Luhan shifted his wooden stick quickly, and struck against the opponent. The crowd went silent, as they stared at the opponent which was lying on the ground.

“Jeonju High School, Luhan, one point!” the referee exclaimed, while gesturing the hand towards Luhan. Joohyun let out a relieved smile, as she smiled widely as the school team cheered loudly.

She was about to turn away, and disappear when a voice stopped her. “Joohyun, I am sorry.” ‘Luhan.’

“What I said just now wasn’t from the bottom of my heart. It was a lie. It was because of your rejection yesterday, and how you avoided my today, I-I thought you hate me.”

A student then commented,” The Ice Prince just stuttered!”

“I-I thought since you hate me, I rather say that it was a lie instead. I-,” Luhan paused, as he removed his gear, when Joohyun shouted,” W-Wait!”

“I-I don’t hate you, Luhan-ssi!” Joohyun explained, as she lowered her head. “I just thought that since Luhan-ssi is perfect, I am not good enough for him. But every time I think of Luhan-ssi, my heart always grows heavy and my ehart races really fast that I want to cry. T-This is the first time I have such a feeling. I-I want to be with Luhan-ssi forever.”

Luhan stepped towards her, as he dropped his gear against the ground. Joohyun then sobbed, while saying,” I-I love you, Luhan-ssi!”

“I love you too,” he smiled, while embracing her tightly in his chest, as he patted her head. Joohyun wrapped her arms around his waist, as she sobbed. “I want to be with Joohyun forever too.”

Joohyun hugged him tighter, and Luhan smiled as he whispered,” I love you, Joohyun.”

“H-He smiled!” the school team cried out, as they let out a shocked look.

Luhan then broke the hug, while wiping the tears that were flowing down from her cheeks,” Cry only in front of me from today onwards, Joohyun. I will wipe them away for you. Only me.”

‘Is that why he threw the towel over my head that time?’