Distraction

I'm Not The Only One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Dr. Kim, the patient is ready for you. Dr. Im and Dr. Kwon are waiting for you in the operating room.” One of the nurse informed her.

She looked through some files of her patient before replied to the nurse. “Tell them, I’ll be there in a minute.”

“Yes, Dr. Kim.” The nurse left the room afterwards.

Kim Taeyeon, a twenty six year old doctor. Considering her age and her profession, she was classified as a young doctor, not any doctor but ophthalmologist and very success in her carreer. Ophthalmologist is a specialist in medical and surgical eye problems. Since ophthalmologists perform operations on eyes, they are both surgical and medical specialists. She’s known as the youngest doctor who excel in her field when her age reached twenty four. Usually in order to become an ophthalmologist, students typically complete, seven year of study and training. However, Kim Taeyeon managed to complete a 3 year Doctor of Medicine (M.D) program and a two year ophthalmology residency in hospital. She was also a scientific researcher who already held a professional medical degree. She was an advisor and consultant in some hospitals who willing to hire her with high payment.

She closed the files then change into her clothsurgeon. Quickly, she made her way through the empty corridor to the operating room. Before she reached the room she was passing by one of her patients’ room. She peeked inside when she noticed the door was left ajar. She looked at the girl who sits on the edge of the bed with her back facing Taeyeon. She tried to stand then turn around very slowly and carefully. It makes Taeyeon wonder why, since she knew the girl wasn’t blind, yet.

The girl has her eyes closed which answered Taeyeon’s question just now. She was flumbling with her hands over the bed as if trying to find something but she didn’t take anything. Instead she grip on her blanket then her right foot began to proceed to the right. First step, second step, third step, Taeyeon was startled by aloud thud in the second the girl was tripped over then slid on the floor. Her eyes snapped open, she curled her small body in a ball then starting to sob.

Taeyeon wanted to help the girl up and pulled her into her hug, letting the girl knows she will be fine, because she is going to be there for her. The thought was pushed away when Taeyeon recalled how stubborn the girl was. It took her almost two months to get ‘a little’ closer and opened up ‘a bit’ to Taeyeon, but Taeyeon didn’t mind. She put her time and patient for the girl, because she knew why the girl shut people down. Eventually, the girl would open up to her, Taeyeon just knew.

“Dr. Kim, there you are. Everyone is ready now.” The voice brought Taeyeon out of her trance.

“I’m coming, Nurse Bae.”

 

=====

 

Two hours after her three hours surgery, Taeyeon was now loading with appointments. It was half past five and the last patient was done almost more than an hour. She closed the files of her patient, she was exhausted.

She leaned back on her swivel chair, just when she was about to close her eyes, her phone beep.

One new message, she tapped it open as the screen popped up the new window.

Fany : Baby, don't forget your dinner. Don’t work too late, okay? I’ll be waiting for you. Oh and good luck for the meeting. Love you. <3

She smiled softly before she shoved her phone back in her drawer. Her eyes settled upon a yellow binder as her smile slowly subsided before fingers grazed it gingerly. She pushed her body up then the friction of the wheel could be heard when she rolling them closer to her desk. She flipped it open then looked through the file. It contented about her patient’s record.

“What am I gonna do about you?”

She sighed tiredly. Her patient was just plain stubborn. Every nurse that in charged to help the girl if there were anything happened has been complaining about the girl’s stubborness and unpleasant attitude. Taeyeon somehow could understand where the girl came from. No matter how much of complaints Taeyeon gained from the nurses and some of her substitute doctors while she has a call from other hospital she was hired to make consultation, she would always make an effort to approach the girl on her own to know and understand the girl better why she would behave that way.

Taeyeon checked her watched and it was the time where the nurse must have sent dinner to each of their patients. She knew better of what to do now. Closing back the binder, she got up and took her white robe then worn it over.

She walked through the long corridor, at this time many of the patient was inside their room having their supper. When Taeyeon reached the room she intended to, she didn’t hesitate to pull it open then went inside. No surprise, she was met with a sight of one of her nurse tried to calm the girl down. Her food was left abondon on her night stand beside her bed. An empty glass dropped on the carpet with the content spilled on the now wet carpet.

“Just get out of here. I don’t want this disgusting food. I’d rather die and let my father sees what he has done to her own daughter.”  The patient snarl.

The nurse acknowledged Taeyeon’s present when she turned to take the food away. “Doctor Kim.” She bowed which earned a nod from Taeyeon. The nurse took the tray of food and ready to leave when Taeyeon held up her hand to stop her.

“Let me.”

“She has refused to eat all day, Doctor Kim.” Taeyeon nodded once more before taking over the tray of food then placed it on the previous spot.

Her patient sat on the bed stiffened when Taeyeon took a spot on the edge of her bed.

“How are you today?” Taeyeon asked softly when the nurse has left the room. Her patient looked up to meet her gaze but quickly looked away back to her blank expression. “How are you today?” Taeyeon tried once again.

Getting no reply, Taeyeon brushed her hair behind her ear that were blocking her way to observe the girl’s facial just now. The action startled the girl who was wide eyes staring back at her.

“I asked how are you today?” Taeyeon gently stated it to her, a tug upwards crossed her lips.

Her patient was quickly relieved when she saw a gentle smile came from the doctor.

“Just fine.”

“Just fine is enough.” That answer was enough, Taeyeon thought. When the room fell back to a complete silence, Taeyeon studied her patient’s feature. Her cheek bones were plain to see. It wasn’t like that when the first time Taeyeon met the girl. “Aren’t you hungry?”

Just one shake of head was given. Taeyeon accepted it. This was the way the girl interacting to people, she had noticed it or maybe only to her. But Taeyeon knew, they were only exchanging few words and Taeyeon would be the most vocalize between them. Only shake and nod of head the girl always gives her.

“You didn’t eat all day.” Taeyeon moved to bring the tray of food and place it on her patient’s folding legs. “Try some of this well-cooked fish. It’s always fresh and the flesh is really soft. Please try it.” Another shake. “You sure?” Nod this time. Taeyeon took the tray and placed it upon her thigh. She spooned it and offered it in front of her bewildered patient. “No choice. So I’ll just feed you.”

Her patient just rolled her eyes elsewhere avoiding the eye contact. She shook her head again. The offering hand went away ant that moment her patient thought Taeyeon has just given up of feeding her. She sat up straight but much to her surprise she stunned when she saw her doctor just stuffed a spoon of food inside her own mouth.

"I'm sorry, I'm so starving. Skipping lunch is for me. I shouldn't do that." Taeyeon said sheepishly.

Her patient was still confused of why in the world would Taeyeon told her that. And the fact her doctor just ate a spoon of her dinner amusing her. Doctor usually doesn't  eat this kind of food, right? Especially, her patient's supper.

"You didn't want to eat them, so I figure I'm gonna eat this. It's a waste. I felt bad for the nurses everytime their patients refused to eat and they couldn't coax them, they got to responsible for it and their supper will be postponed till at least 9 pm. I don't know why this hospital has to make that rule. So you don't mind right?"

Feeling guilty, Taeyeon's patient just silently nodded again. Taeyeon shows her toothy smile revealing her small dimple clearly.

Turn back to the food, Taeyeon took a spoon and was about to stuff into when a tug on her sleeves halting her.

"What's wrong?"

"I..Can I try?"

"Eh? But we don't have another spare of  spoons. Wait, I'll go get it."

Taeyeon stopped when her patient called her. "Share. You mind?"

 

=====

 

"Fany." She called for her girlfriend after she entered their penthouse. One step to another until it completely halted when she found her girlfriend has fallen asleep on the couch with the TV's light flashing on. "She was waiting for me again." She squatted close to the couch gently shaking the girl's shoulder. "Babe, I'm home. Let's go to bed."

Her girlfriend let out a soft whimper before slowly opening her eyes. She looked up to see two black orbs staring back at her lovingly. Tiffany smiled before reaching out to palm Taeyeon's cheek. "Did you eat your dinner?"

"Yes. I wouldn't forget it since you reminded me. Now let's go to bed."

Tiffany stretched her hands indicating for Taeyeon that she wanted to be carried.

Taeyeon stood up and bent over to carry her bridal style. "Such a big baby you are." 

"But I'm your the only one."

"Yes you are."

Taeyeon lied her on the bed gently. She was thinking to change in to a pair of pyjamas when Tiffany's fist curled upon her collar.

"Let's.." Tiffany stopped. Taeyeon stared at her questioningly at her abruptly stop. "We..we haven't." Bitting her lower lips as her fingers delicately played with Taeyeon's collar. "You know."

Taeyeon got the idea of what Tiffany was getting at. How long has it been? Three months or even more since the last time they did it. Tiffany, being an understand girlfriend she was, she knew Taeyeon must have been so tired everytime she came home. But not tonight, she ne

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter