Part 2

A Step Ahead
Taemin made sure to check thrice in the mirror before allowing himself to leave the room. They've been dating for a little more than half a year, but Taemin's definitely wasn't taking chances in giving the impression that he was not excited to meet his boyfriend. 

He brushed his fingers through his hair again as he opened the front door, yelling, "Umma! I'm heading out with Jinki. I'll see you later." 

"Oh? You're going out with Jinki again?" His mother popped her head out of the kitchen. The word 'again' made his face flush and he struggled not to show it. "You coming home for dinner?" 

Taemin thought for a bit, "I-I guess not. I'll have it outside." 

"Ah arasso, have fun ba-" His mother was cut off when they heard a screech and then footsteps running down the stairs. 

"TAEMIN OPPAAAAAA!!!" Taehee screeched excitedly, "You're meeting Onew oppa? I want to go too!" 

He looked at his sister with wide-eyes, hoping she was only joking because he was not bringing his sister on their date ('Date'  blush), "A-aniya, you can't come!" 

It came out sounding more irritated than he wanted. 

"B-but I wanna..." Taehee showed her sad face and a pout and that's when Taeumma decided to help. 

"Aw come on baby, bring your sister along. Maybe the three of you could have more fun?" She smiled sweetly; and Taemin could no longer deny. 

Ugh, sometimes he hated being a mummy's boy. 

So the two of them walked - Taehee skipped actually - to the bakery to meet up with Jinki, as usual when it was the two of them. It was an understatement to say that Jinki was surprised seeing the younger sister tag along. He wasn't opposed to it, but he also had the idea they were going on a date, and 'dates' screams two. 

"Onew oppa!" Taehee practically jumped onto Jinki, hugging him out of breath. 

The older man returned her hug affectionately and ruffled her silky long brown hair. Well, she was cute like her brother and that made Jinki want to spoil her too. 

During the short hug, Jinki looked up to meet with the apologetic eyes Taemin was sending him, pleading he'd understand this was surely not his idea. But Jinki only nodded and gave a bright sweet smile, easing the younger's guilty heart. The two pulled away from each other and when Jinki stood up again to greet Taemin properly, Taehee only held hands with her Onew like it was the most natural thing to do. 

"Alright! Where should we go today?" Jinki asked kindly, directing the question both to Taemin and his sister. 

"To the theme park!!" Taehee suggested (more like demanded), tugging at Onew's hand.

When Taemin didn't protest, he took it as the green light. Hmm, they haven't been to the theme park since they started, so maybe this could be fun! 

The trip there was a lot more noisy than usual when they alone, Taehee was talking so much, and about what she's imagine her future with Onew will be like. That had Taemin rolling his eyes the whole ride, he felt like his eyes were going to fall off. Jinki, on the other hand, showed genuine interest and laughed whenever Taehee said something he thought was funny. She asked about Jinki's favorite color, his favorite food, his hobby and stuff like that. Taemin couldn't help but listened attentively, wanting to get to know more about his boyfriend. They just never talked about such things when they were alone. 

Jinki was even more amused when Taehee started talking about an incident when Taemin got into trouble with their mother, embarrassing his brother. He clicked his tongue in annoyance and wanted to gag the hell out of his little sister. 

"So Taemin oppa being a pabo, went and overheat the oven he almost blew up the kitchen!" Taehee giggled as she recounted to Onew, "Umma had to order him a week of limited entrance to the kitchen."

"Hahaha, jinjia?" Jinki laughed, "What was he doing with the oven anyway?" 

"Molla." She shrugged, "I think he wanted to bake some ciabatta br-" 

"Yay, we're here. Let's stop blabbering and get off." Taemin pretended to cheer, gesturing for them to move. 

Jinki found it adorable; the slugging shoulder and sulking face. It was almost nostalgic, how Taemin had been the very first time he took a bite out of him. He wanted to comfort his crybaby when Taehee only dragged him into the theme park, disregarding her brother. Though that didn't stop the worrying Jinki from looking back, extending his free hand to Taemin. He couldn't deny the feelings of disappointment when the younger shook his head, refusing to take his hand. But he knew Taemin had his reason; that he didn't want to get them both in trouble because they haven't told their parents they were exclusive, and Taehee was just being her innocent honest self if she ever told on them. 

With the intentions to have fun, Taemin's sulk didn't go on for long and very quickly the three were having the time of their lives at all the rides. Even the long queues for the popular must-rides didn't dampen their moods. Taehee just kept them occupied by talking a lot and making the two men laugh. Rather than feeling pity, Jinki made mental notes to bring Taemin here again on a normal two-persons-date on rides Taemin particularly enjoyed. Oh, and also the couple rides that was now 'family rides' - the tea cups, the carousel and the ultimate Ferris Wheel. 

Taemin really couldn't say that the third-wheel-Taehee (what he was going to mentally call her from now on) ruined their date. He was almost sure that the two of them probably wouldn't have as much fun as they were going to today if not for Taehee intruding on them. Taemin was still a bundle of nerves around his admirable Jinki hyung, and maybe this was the best most comfortable, though least romantic, date they've had so far. 

There was one point when Taehee stopped them smack in the middle of the theme park, pulling Jinki down to face her. The eldest crouched down to meet her at eye level, while Taemin just stood by her side, annoyed that his little sister wasn't asking for him instead. 

"Onew oppa," She blinked her eyes cutely, "Next time when we get married, let's do it at the theme park, okay?" 

Her sweet request and candy-like smile would've got her an immediate 'Yes!' with any boy her age, but with Jinki, he only held her hands in both of his, "Taehee-ah, I'm afraid I'll have to reject that." 

"I'll say yes to doing anythig for you, but I can't marry you." Jinki was firm in making her understand, "Onew oppa already has someone he loves very much. And I'll marry them someday, so..." 

Taehee listened carefully, but as with any rejections, she felt bad and upset. This especially coming from the one she's had a baby-crush on since forever, she really couldn't help the tears pooling in her eyes.

"You're a lovely girl, like your Taemin oppa, I'm sure you'll find someone you love, and who loves you back." 

As much as Taemin wanted to scoff at Jinki for bothering to have such a mature conversation with her, his face was already blushing red and hot from whatever Jinki said. Even though he was rejecting his twelve-year-old sister, he was just so cooooool and calm! He swore his heart could thump louder for the whole park to hear if the elder continued his love confessions.

"D-do I know t-this p-person you l-like?" Taehee was hiccuping, rubbing her eyes of the teary wetness. 

Jinki glanced over at the petrified Taemin shaking his head, before replying her, "Hmmm, I think you've met, but I'll properly introduce this person to you one day, I promise." 

Taehee mumbled a small 'okay', took a hard sniff with her snotty nose, then dried her tears like a brave sensible girl. Jinki was proud of that, giving her a big-bear hug.  

Done for the day, Jinki and Taemin sat on a bench in the middle of the funfair park,  on the ice cream cones Jinki bought for them. Taehee was peacefully sleeping on Jinki's shoulder sitting in his lap, exhausted from the playing and crying earlier. The younger of the two men couldn't stop his staring where Jinki had put his arm around Taehee's waist to keep her from slipping down. 

"You're going to burn a hole in my arm." Jinki chuckled, catching on to Taemin's gaze. 

"We-well, I'm sorry." He replied sarcastically, almost talking to himself, "Can't help it if my boyfriend is hugging on to my s-supposed love r-rival." 

"Ah jinjia, you're seriously too cute. I want a bite out of you." Jinki grinned with his hand brushing through the younger's hair, then falling in place on Taemin's shoulders. 

They both sat in silence for a while as Taemin continued  his icy treat. Jinki couldn't resist planting a small kiss on Taemin's forehead; like he'd wanted to do the moment he saw him today, if not for Taehee's surprise appearance.

"It will still be just the two of us next time, right?" Jinki asked cautiously, not wanting to sound like he disliked having Taehee around. He just wanted alone time with Taemin. 

That didn't stop the red blush on his cheeks; he nodded shyly, "I-I hope so... If Taehee doesn't find out I'm meeting you..." 

"Well, I don't think she's going to stick to me so much now. I've said it to her face." 

"My heart almost exploded! I thought she was going to wail in public again." He looked away, before Jinki finds out the true reason why his heart felt like it was dancing in his ribcage, beating uncontrollably. 

"I meant every word I said, Taem." Jinki looked in his boyfriend's directions, only to see his tinted red ears and soft biting of his lips.

Jinki gritted his teeth. Ah, why is this boy looking so damn cute and attractive and squishy and cute. I seriously want to bite him, then tell the whole world he's mine"Hey," Jinki was almost whispering into his ear now, "Maybe next time...come to my house?"

Taemin felt his heartbeat skyrocket, and his fingers trembled slightly at the thought. He gripped his cone firmly to hide his nerval system going haywire. As much as they were having fun, even been to Taemin's house for dinner with the entire Lee family, the thought of them alone at Jinki's just made his mind wander... 

"You're already eighteen this year, and I'm twenty-two... You know what I mean, right?" 

The next thing Taemin felt intensely was the palm  his thigh, and he instinctively grabbed Jinki's arm to hold onto reality stop his further fondling. It's playing foul to whisper such words - not into his ear, and most certainly not in front of (even though sleeping) Taehee!

"We could even..." He paused suggestively, "Bake the ciabatta bread without burning down your kitchen." 

Taemin snapped his head and smacked Jinki on his free arm, for teasing and mocking at him so openly now. 

"I-I'll think a-about i-it." 

That was the only thing Taemin could utter out without sounding desperate, plastering a permanent grin on Jinki's face the whole way home. They were on their way to taking their relationship...a step ahead.

 


Annyeong! A long overdued sequel already, perhaps? Hope you had fun reading it! :)