A Lost Memory

Your Last and First

Jongin winced his eyes open, feeling a ray of sunlight enter the toom. He flexed his arms and sat upright, trying to get his eyes to adjust to the surroundings.

"You're awake." Min Ah came into the room with a cup of coffee. The smell of the caffeine brought Jongin back to his senses. The shirt she was wearing made Jongin stare.

"Sorry, I didn't bring extra clothes so I just grabbed one of your shirts."

Jongin climbed out of bed, his body fully exposed from head to toe. Min Ah slapped a hand over her eyes. "What? It's not like you haven't seen it before!" She blushed lightly at his comment as he smirked and left to put some clothes on. 

---------------------

After breakfast, they headed to the park to just take a casual walk. Something caught Jongin's eye, a familiar puppy, with an owner even more familiar. It was you. You were taking Lulu out for a walk, a puppy Kai got you for Christmas when you were dating a month ago.

Through Kai's eyes, you looked happy, really happy. And you were. "It's only been a month and it looks like she's already moved on. I wonder if she even notices me." Thoughts came to Kai's mind, as to if you remembered him.

He walked towards you, giving a bright smile. But you never noticed him. After you passed him, Kai turned around and cooed out to your puppy, "Lulu--" The dog turned back to the boy, staring as if she recognized him.

After you noticed the puppy had stopped, you turned to find out why. A boy was standing there with his girlfriend, an unknown boy. Looking at you as if it was a long time since you've seen eachother, but the truth is you don't remember seeing him in your entire life.

"Lulu kaja!" you called and tugged on the leash. You glanced at the boy before leading the puppy down the path.

"You know her?" Min Ah asked. "I don't know if I do." 

----------------------

You sat on a bench with Lulu at your side. "How do you know him? Who is he?" Asking a dog these questions made the public walking by give you a weird look. Lulu only stared at you, obviously a dog couldn't talk so you didn't really expect an answer.

About 2 weeks after Kai broke up with you, you got into a car accident and lost parts of your memory, including him. Over time, some pieces of memory returned through a deshavu kind of thing, but since you never spent time with Kai anymore, the memories wouldn't come back to you. So now, Kim Jongin was just another stranger passing by.

---------------------

The next morning, you opened up the cafe early. Like any other day, you took orders normally. You sensed someone approach the front counter as you looked up from the coffee machine."Hi, what can I get...you..." The boy was tall, bronze skinned and brown eyed. 

"Do you remember me?" He asked.

"Creeper boy from the park yesterday, that just happens to know my dog's name? Yes." 

He chuckled a little. "(y/n), I know you're name too."

You stepped back, a little afraid. Who was this guy? And how did he know your name?

"I'll have a mocha please." He left and sat at a table near the counter.

"How does she not remember? It's her for sure! Maybe she's just denying that she know's me."

----------------------

You finished up his order and handed it to him, "do we perhaps know eachother?" You asked out of curiousity.

He nodded, "yeah, we do actually. Don't you remember me? Jongin, your ex-boyfriend."

"Sorry, you must have me mistaken. I've never dated anyone in my life."

You started walking back to the counter, when he grabbed you wrist. 

"(y/n) wait. If you're still upset about what I said to you that night, I'm really sorry. I never meant what I said, anger just took over. I was afraid to face you after that incident and thought maybe it's just best if you moved on. But I missed you everyday, not even Min Ah could make me forget you. I love her, but I love you more. Then I saw you in the park with Lulu and you looked really happy. Secretly, my heart sunk when you said you didn't know me. I'm so sorry (y/n), please come back to me." Jongin apologized.

"You know me, you just won't bring yourself to believe that I'm standing right infront of you."

You shook your head, "I'm really sorry...Jongin-ssi, you must have the wrong person." You quickly left the table.

---------------------

After 10 minutes, Kai walked up to the counter to meet a male staff member. "Ahjusshi! Annyeonghaseyo." He gave a 90 degree bow to the elderly man.

The man turned around, "Jongin, it's been a while. I haven't seen you since you and (y/n) were dating. If you've come to see her, she just left. Her shift ended about 5 minutes ago." Kai shook his head.

"Actually, I've come to see you ajusshi. (y/n) doesn't seem to remember me, do you know why?" 

"She doesn't remember you?!" The man mumbled, "I can't believe she lost that much of her memory."

"Wait, what?!"

"Do you not know? About a month ago, around the time you broke up, (y/n) got into a car accident. She woke up a couple of days later with bits of her memory missing, you included. Over time, her friends helped her remember some parts, but you were never there to help her remember you. I'm really suprised you hadn't found out about it."

A tear rolled down Kai's cheek, listening to the elderly man explain.

"She's aware that she's lost her memory, but she's living life like it was never there in the first place. (y/n) was a mess when you broke up with her! And I always wondered why she's become so happy in such little time, until I realised it's because she can't remember you. Jongin-ah, I suggest you don't do anything to make her remember you, else she'll just get hurt again." The man walked away.

Jongin was hurt, he didn't know what to do. He wanted to confront you and make you remember, but a part of him wanted you to remain happy.

---------------------

 

>>Remember to check out chapter 2<<