My Childhood Friend

My Childhood Friend

Jonghyun's POV

I was seven years old, playing alone at the vacant playground behind my house. I was always treated as the outcast because no one seems to notice my existence. I flinched as I suddenly felt someone tapping my shoulder. I glanced at the small boy who looks like he was around my age and quietly stared into his eyes. 

I blinked as he waved his hands in front of my face, realizing that I was staring too long. 

" Hi there, what's your name? " He questioned me curiously. 

" My name's Jonghyun, what's yours? " I asked him as I pull my hand out of my pocket and reached out to shake his hand. 

" My name is Jinki, It's nice to meet you. " He smiles.

Jinki sat down on the other swing and turned his head slightly to look at me. He stared at me for a while before asking me a question.

" Why do I always see you sitting here alone? "He looks at me out of curiosity. 

My head hung low. I felt a stinging pain in my heart as he asks me that question. I knew he was asking it out of curiosity but it was still too painful. I stared at the ground through two blurry eyes and felt tears streaming down my face. I gasp softly as I felt his fingertips brushing lightly against my cheeks and wiping my tears away. He showed me a warm smile and gave me a light pat on the back. I smiled back at him, feeling grateful that he was trying his best to comfort me. 

As time passes by, we became really close and I considered him as my one and only true friend. He was always there for me when I was going through a lot of hard times in life and I did the same for him. We ended up going to high school and college together.

Jinki called me up one morning and I smiled sleepily as I hear his cheerful voice over the phone. He told me that he had some great news that he found out about the day before that. My eyes widened in shock as I listened to him.

Turns out that Jinki was offered to study at a university in America. It was a good news but I wasn't too happy about it. Jinki leaving Korea means that I wouldn't be able to see or talk to him often. As his friend, I had to be happy for him because he has been waiting for this to happen and opportunities like this don't come by often. I ended the call and curled up into a ball in my nest of blankets with my arms tightly wrapped around my kness as I let the tears flow down my cheeks. He's leaving tomorrow. It was too fast. Too fast. 

I woke up the next day and shuffled towards the bathroom as I quietly stared into the mirror. My eyes were puffy and red while dry tears stained my cheeks. I must've cried myself to sleep. The realization hit me again. Today is the day when he leaves. I sighed and went ahead to take a shower. I came out of the shower and quickly put on a plain t-shirt and jeans. I drove straight to Jinki's house to pick him up since I promised him that I would accompany him to the airport today to send him off for America. 

When we arrived at the airport, I embraced Jinki, not wanting to let him go. It was time to say goodbye and I couldn't bring myself to say it. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a necklace. He took my hand and gently placed it on my palm.

" Don't forget about me. If you ever do, I'll hunt you down. " He jokes and chuckles softly.

I smile sadly and noticed a tear escaping his eyes. He whispered a goodbye and with heavy footsteps, he turned around and quickly left. Almost immediately, I felt the emptiness embracing me. I was going to miss him. My childhood friend. Lee Jinki.