Part 2: The Ache of a First Love

Kiss of Life

There are two things Kwon Jiyong never wanted to occur to him. First was having the song he composed for a long time rejected by YG sangjanim and second, punching himself square in the face but only to find out it wasn't a dream.


As he was nursing his nose, which was bleeding from his hard punch, the princess he had woken up from her eternal slumber repeated, "Who art thou?"

"Don't talk to me in Old English." Jiyong said, irritated and rolling his eyes. "I know you know Korean."

The princess crossed her arms and raised a brow at him, as if mocking his intelligence—or more, his education. He knew that reaction too well from his own. "How'd you know?" She said, accusing.

Jiyong nodded at her clothes, pointing out the obvious. "You're wearing a hanbok."

She pouted and didn't get embarrassed, unlike other girls who get embarrassed when you point out their stupidity. She quickly introduced herself, "I'm Park Sandara, Princess of Tamna."

"Kwon Jiyong." He said, finally giving up on his nose and grabbed the basket he was holding a while ago. The bleeding had stopped already, and all there was left was trail of blood coming out of his nostril.

She gushed, perplexed. "Chief?!"

"No." Jiyong directly disagreed, his eyebrow scrunching in between.

"Then who are you?" She narrowed her eyes at him before looking around. "Where am I?"

He stood up from the floor, shrugging all the dust from his clothes and said, "The question would be when am I. You've slept through many dynasties and eras. It's now the 21st century."

The princess looked at him, her eyebrows arched downward and she looked worried. "All I remember was I prick my finger at a spindle and then when I first open my eyes, I see you."

"If you're sleeping for many centuries," Jiyong wondered, not answering her question. "Why doesn't your breath smells like rotten dead rat?"

"Have you smelled my breath?" Sandara asked, almost laughing.

Jiyong reminded her, "I kissed you."

"Well," He said again and heaved a sigh. "I shouldn't have woken you up so you'd be Forever 21."

He laughed loudly but the princess only looked at him, contemplating whether she was woken up by a madman and not a prince. Jiyong stopped when he felt her not laughing and said, "Oh yeah, you were asleep all this time."

"What happened while I was asleep?" She asked, finally getting out of the bed. As soon as she stood up, it collapsed on the floor and the vile green smoke disappeared. The magic had finally worn out after many years.

"I wasn't alive that long." Jiyong reminded her again. "Follow me. I'll introduce you to my grandparents."

They won’t love her but they can handle someone as old as them. They started out the door and down the stairs, their footsteps echoing all around the empty tower.

"There are so many of them." Sandara said, pointing out at the trapped princes. "Father must've set out those traps."

"Only one had successfully reached you but he didn't kiss you." Jiyong said, remembering his dream.

Sandara narrowed her eyes at him. "You said you didn't live that long."

"I dreamed about it on the way here." He explained as he reached the end of the stairs and she followed him closely from behind. They stepped out of the tower and as long as the princess had stepped out fully, it collapsed again on the ground. Her presence must've been the only one keeping it in one piece all these years.

Jiyong didn't need to go back or shout to find his grandparents. They were looking for him together with their houseboy, Junghyun and his driver, Yunho.

"Halmeoni! Harabeoji!" He shouted, calling out to them and they immediately turned to where he is, sensing his voice. His grandmother ran up to him and the other followed from behind.

"We were so worried!" She cried, holding both of his cheeks. "Where were you?"

"Finding water spinaches?" Jiyong said, smiling at her and she quickly removed her grasp from him to wipe her tears. "But grandma, I've found someone."

"Someone?" His grandfather repeated upon reaching them, holding his grandmother's shoulders. Sandara grabbed Jiyong's arm from behind and they all looked at it with arched brows suspiciously.

"Uh, Yunho remember about the tale I asked you about? The one with the sleeping princess in it?" Jiyong asked, trying to make them recall. Directly introducing Sandara would make them suspicious, so he decided to make them understand piece by piece.

"But sir," The driver laughed. "It's just a folklore."

"I was walking around finding those water spinaches when I saw this tower—“ He pointed at the collapsed tower behind him, which was just recognizable only by the top part that didn't entirely broke apart. "And when I reached the top, I saw a princess sleeping."

"But you're no prince." His grandfather said, laughing and Jiyong could tell that he was finding this course of events insane. He could even address his grandson insane with his kind of laugh.

"I know and it may sound ridiculous but she woke up!" Jiyong said pulling Sandara quickly beside him to show her to them. She shyly obliged, stepping out from behind him and managing to croak, "H-Hi."

"I want to faint but my heart might won't take another breakdown." His grandmother said, staring at Sandara. "For the love of the world, who is this woman?"

Sandara’s eyes widened and Jiyong thought that maybe his grandmother cursed. He shrugged and said, "If you don't believe me, ask her."

"Where are you from?" His grandfather dared to ask, smiling at Sandara though it more like he’s mocking her.

She replied honestly, "Tamna."

"Jeju-do." The houseboy translated, his eyes wide. "I learned it from school when I was still studying."

"Who is the current mayor of Jeju?" His grandmother asked, horrified.

"My father." Sandara said in a matter-of-fact tone. "Emperor Seungho."

They all looked at Jiyong with wide eyes.
 




At first they think it was a fraud and Sandara was just a great actress but when they searched her in the residents’ book for Korea, her name won't show up. There were no Sandara Parks in the whole South Korea. Of course, they tried hurting themselves to know if it was a dream but like Jiyong, they were crestfallen to know it wasn't.

It was a problem having Sandara around—for Jiyong. She doesn't want to change her clothes and she doesn't want to remove the headdress off of from her head. She was really patient and soft, like his grandmother and she would always give him a glare when he shouts our curses—as if she knows half of them.

What's more, Sandara wasn't eating at all, which was very problematic for Jiyong because she haven't eaten for a very long while—a really long while. The fact she just watched them eat made him angry for no reason.

"Eat." He ordered, his mouth full of steamed water spinaches.

She shrugged and talked instead. "Are you descendants of the chief?" Sandara asked, mainly directed to Jiyong's grandfather.

"Do you mean the head of your palace guards who has the same name as my grandson?" The old man cleared, stopping in midway from eating and when Sandara nodded her head, he shook his.

"Maybe it was just a coincidence we had the same name." Jiyong suggested, placing his utensils on his plate.

"And it was a coincidence that only both of you reached the top?" Sandara supplied and again, it reminded him of a while ago, when he was forced to recall his dreams in front of all of them. "I think not."

"Then what? He knew that a descendant of his with the same name as his will wake you up and fall in love with you like he did? He's not a psychic." Jiyong stood up harshly from his seat. "I'm done."

Sandara sighed and looked at the old couple. "Are people nowadays these rude and impatient?"

They merely nodded and went back to eating.
 




There was a knock on the door and Jiyong said, "Come in."

The door opened and he saw Sandara, still in her hanbok. He was about to reprimand her of wearing it when she said, "Your grandmother told me to borrow clothes from you until we buy."

Jiyong stood up from his bed, sighing and went towards his traveling bag. He heard Sandara walk in and close the door behind her.

After settling for his white undershirt and boxers, he tossed it to Sandara, who caught it expertly. She was looking around his room.

"What?" Jiyong prompted, going back to his bed and lied down on his stomach.

Sandara hugged the clothes next to her and commented, "No more candles."

"Or spinning wheels or spindles." Jiyong supplemented subconsciously, and she shuddered at the mention of it.

"You can take a bath there. It's the first door at your left." He said, pointing at the small hallway at his left. "Cold water at the right and hot water at the left."

Sandara's ears perked up at the mention of the hot water. "You have hot water?" She asked, giddily.

"Yeah." Jiyong answered, turning and lying down on his back. "Just open the left faucet. Soap is in the blue container. The liquid for bubble bath is in the red container while shampoo is in the black container."

"What's that?" Sandara asked, raising a brow at him as if he was ridiculous.

Jiyong gestured for her to go inside, waving his hand. "Just go in. I'll answer your questions and shout out the instructions from here."

She did as she was told to do and quickly went in the bathroom. As soon as the door closed, she shouted, "Now what?"

"Are you ?" Jiyong shouted back and immediately turned red after realizing what he just said.

After a few seconds, she shouted back, "Yeah!"

"O-Open the handle with the letter L there and wash yourself from the shower!" He barked the orders. "When you're all wet, close the shower, open the blue container and then pour some in your hand. Rub it against your skin, except your face. Do it until you have rubbed soap in all parts of your body and open again the shower. Rinse! Just do it again but now using the liquid from the black container but instead of the body, you rub it in your hair."

After a couple of minutes, Sandara shouted, "That's all?"

"Open both of the faucets facing the tub! Grab the handle and twist it to the left!" He instructed and he felt ridiculous doing it. Jiyong only shook his head as he laughed and continued, "Close it again when the water is 3/4 of the tub! Turn it on the opposite side to do so!"

After a few minutes, the water died down and Sandara shouted from the inside, "Done!"

"Grab the liquid for bubble bath. It's in the red container! Open the container and pour the liquid into the cap before pouring it four times into the water. Close the container and out it back neatly!" He carefully instructed, since he never wanted for his things to be so disorganized.

After a few minutes, Sandara shouted again, "Done!"

"Make the bubbles by playing with the water!" He shouted. "Then go inside! Just relax and go out when I said so!"

He gave Sandara half an hour to relax and enjoy her first bubble bath, and even from a distance, he could hear her gasping in pleasure, which doesn't contribute any good to him. After that, he heard the water slosh and she shouted, "What now?"

Jiyong answered, "Just pull the black cord and rinse yourself again from the shower."

After a few minutes, Sandara exited the bathroom with a heavy sigh. Jiyong regarded her with an arched brow as she entered the room again, wearing his boxers and white undershirt with a tank top underneath, which he thinks she borrowed from his closet inside the bathroom. It must’ve been from his sister.

"How'd you wore that?" He asked, eyeing the shirt.

Sandara rolled her eyes. "I'm not that too dumb to know. And I’m wearing a hanbok a while ago."

She walked towards him and sat on top of his bed. The towel were around her shoulders but she wasn’t using it to dry her hair.

Out of frustration, Jiyong sat up and reached out to the towel. He dried her hair, scrunching and rubbing the fabric softly against her head.

Sandara was staring at him, her wide doe eyes paying attention to his nose particularly. She admits, the first she looks at a man is his nose while their attitude comes second, and Jiyong does have a very attractive nose. Setting noses aside, this Kwon Jiyong doesn’t really look like the chief, but their attitude are somewhat alike. They are both stingy and dominant but also have a soft side. If he didn’t care, Jiyong wouldn’t have attempted to wake her up from her sleep even with the knowledge that he’s not a prince.

Jiyong kept on gritting his teeth, complaining and groaning as he dry her hair up. “You should dry your hair, your highness.” He said, sarcastically. “You’ll catch a cold if you don’t.”

Sandara laughed. “I got it. I got it.”


Sandara can’t sleep. She kept on thrashing and turning on the incredibly cushioned and comfortable bed because she kept on thinking about the townspeople she knew back then. They have died a thousand of years ago and they must have experienced different hardships and wars as they protect the town, unlike her who slept comfortably on the highest tower. Especially, Chief Kwon, who have been her constant companion and protector and possibly, could have been her husband—if she hadn’t pricked her finger on the spindle.

But then again, Chief Kwon wasn’t a prince. And she was sure he couldn’t have been his true love, because if he was, he could’ve been bested as the next heir and could’ve been a prince. Then he could wake her up from eternal bliss. But it didn’t, unless they were stupid to not think of it.

Sandara stood up from the bed and walked out of her room. The whole manor was quiet besides her footsteps and she didn’t bother to become quiet because Junghyung’s and Yunho’s snores were enough to mask out the noise.

She got down the stairs and entered the living room, opening the divider and closing them again. Sandara sat down on the couch and through the remote, opened the television.

The modern shows were not on air anymore, since they all air when there are still a lot of people awake. At midnight, the shows they consider boring—which for Sandara was not—are airing. It was a program about Korean tradition.

The historian introduced himself as Lee Geonwoo, and the name didn’t ring any bells for Sandara, even if the guy was near to a hundred years old. Nonetheless, she waited as he explained his family’s history. He was from the line of artists on his father side but he wasn’t an artist himself. From his mother’s side, he said that his line was colourful. There were warriors, artists, writers and historians alike. Lee Geonwoo opened a door, where he introduced was where portraits of his ancestors were kept. Sandara leaned forward in anticipation.

He started from the most recent up to the oldest. There were portraits of his ancestors fighting at the Pusan perimeter, in suits as politicians and in hanboks in the Joseon era. Sandara’s eyes turned wide when she saw a familiar portrait.

“Chief.” She whispered, leaning forward again. He was painted very beautifully on a scroll, his hair flowing freely with the brushstrokes. Next to his portrait was another painting of his family and Sandara almost cracked up. Chief Kwon married Haewon, Sandara’s personal housemaid and they had two daughters, who all got their father’s smile and eyes. You could see from Chief that he really loves her, and the feeling was mutual for Haewon.

“What are you doing?”

Sandara immediately turned the television off in the speed of light, against her will and replied, “What?”

He sat beside her, sitting heavily on the couch and with a sigh, he said, “What are you watching?”

Sandara turned to him and smiled, “History.”

Jiyong laughed with mockery and replied, “History? Why are you crying?”

Her hand immediately flew to her eyes, and sure enough her fingertips felt the familiar salty liquid at the tips of her eyes and on her cheeks. Sandara wiped them all using her hands and after that, slapped her cheeks. “It’s nothing.” She answered, sniffing. “It’s just nothing.”

Jiyong laughed again and turned forward, into the open space. “That was the same thing I told myself when I asked what’s wrong.”

Sandara softly smiled, as well as Jiyong, and the latter looked at her again, only to give her an encouraging smile.

“Well, the person whom I’ve been in love for many years turns out loved another woman after I slept.” She said and laughed. “It’s not that good to hear but that’s what happened.”

Sandara looked at him at the corner of her eye and watched as he laughed silently, rubbing his bent middle phalanx against the tip of his nose. She found it cute, how he looked laughing and embarrassed with these kind of topics.

“I’ve been thinking all day.” He said.

“A first?” She quickly asked.

Jiyong shook his head, chuckling and said, “Maybe this could make you happy.”

Sandara prompted him to go on by shutting up and actually paying attention, which she never did before because of the going on about spindles.

He continued, “If you have slept before the sunrise of your twenty first birthday, it means it’s going to be your twenty first birthday tomorrow.”

There was a moment of realization before Sandara shouted, “Eh?”

Jiyong laughed heartily. “What? I was saying that it’s your birthday tomorrow. Regardless of the date, it’s still your birthday. You slept on the verge of preparing for it and so, we will actually celebrate it.”

He stood up from his seat and pushed her head downward. “Sleep now,” He ordered and winked. “Or if you don’t want, you could sleep with me.”


She felt something heavy on her lips, but moist and sweet. Sandara’s eyes quickly flew open and she saw Jiyong kissing her—again!

He broke the kiss and smirked. “Get up. We’re going to go to the market to buy some ingredients.”

“Yah!” She shouted but he pretended he didn’t hear, so she chased him down as he went out of her room and down the stairs. “Yah! Yah! Yah!” Her shouts fill the air.

“What did you do now, Jiyong?” Grandfather Kwon shouted from the outside, and Sandara could smell barbecue as they both near them.

“Woke her up.” Jiyong answered the obvious. Sandara shouted again, “Yah!”

“Then why is she shouting dear?” Grandmother Kwon said as they got outside, where the table was filled with food, set to overlook the ocean.

Jiyong sat down on the chair and Sandara smashed her hands down on the table, almost knocking down all the food. “Why did you do that?”

“What did he do?” Grandmother Kwon asked, not interfering. She was not very pleased with that’s happening.

“He kissed me!” Sandara whined, looking at Grandmother Kwon with mercy. “He kissed me again!”

“Kwon Jiyong!” Grandfather Kwon shouted with warning.

“What?” Jiyong said, feigning innocence. “I have done everything to wake her up.” He counted, “I’ve shook her, called her name, played death metal with speakers, banged my hand against the wall and even tried killing her, all with no avail. I thought maybe she was sleeping again for forever, so I kissed her.”

Of course it wasn’t the truth. He only kissed her to wake her up, but it was only him who knows the truth.

Sandara rolled her eyes and occupied the seat opposite to him. “I hate you.”

“Welcome for waking you up.” He said, smirking again.

After the very noisy and rowdy breakfast because of the wake up kiss, Jiyong and Sandara set off to the marketplace to get the ingredients for the food Grandmother Kwon is going to cook, since they don’t have any stock in the pantry because it’s still not the harvest day and the animals are still out-of-age.

“Are you shopping for your wedding feast?” The old lady selling said, greeting them with a big smile as she goes out of her shop.

Jiyong shook his hand and answered, “Ah no. We’re not—“

The old lady cuts him off. “What are you saying? Don’t be shy. You both look so good together. I will give you a kilo free for every five kilos you buy.”

Sandara smiled at the lady and bowed. “Thank you.”

Jiyong turned to Sandara and glared at her. “We’re not even dati—“

“So?” The old lady happily asked, pointing at a tank of Asian Mussels.

Jiyong only sighed and said, “We need six kilos of green mussels.”

“Okay, okay.” The old lady said, going towards the tank of green mussels.

After five fish shops and five vegetable shops, Jiyong was exhausted of having to answer very one of them that he is not dating Sandara, and it was hard because Sandara neither denied nor claimed that they were. She just kept mum and shut about the whole thing.

It was already three in the afternoon when they have finished and Jiyong yet to buy Sandara a gift and his grandmother agreed upon buying her a dress since she loves dresses.

After he had placed the ingredients they have bought in the truck and have exchanged cars with Yunho, who he have called to come and get the ingredients to start the cooking and surprise ready, Jiyong led Sandara to another side of the marketplace, which is now full of clothes. She was very unsure at first, her legs not walking in a straight line and her head looking around. The people were looking at them.

Sandara whispered worriedly, “Why are they looking at us?”

Jiyong laughed and placed his arm around her shoulders, pulling her closer. “It means you’re beautiful.”

“A fairy gifted me beauty.” She clarified, rolling her eyes. “Maybe because I was born ugly.”

“I saw you in my dream.” Jiyong said. “And you were beautiful.”

Sandara was about to retort a grateful reply when he pulled her inside a shop, and the people staring at them also moved their head as they entered. The shop’s interior was calming and cozy, even for a shop. There weren’t anyone inside.

“I rented the whole place for two hours.” Jiyong whispered, audible enough for the both of them to hear and then he pushed her away forward. He continued, “Go on, and choose.”

Sandara’s eyes travelled around the shop as she fidgeted, and the salesman looked at her with interest, his eyes urging her to go on. After a few turns, she reached out onto the first clothing, dropped her hand, and said, “I can’t do it.”

“I haven’t chosen a dress for myself before.” She continued, looking around the shop. “Because of spindles!”

“I think this looks good to you.” Jiyong suddenly said and Sandara whipped her head to him, perplexed.

The staff laughed and said, “He had roamed around the shop while you were talking, ma’am.”

Jiyong tossed her the dress he had picked out. “Go change into that. I’m going to pay.”

The staff led Sandara into the dressing room and as the staff draws the curtain in, Sandara finds a glimpse of Jiyong looking at the necklaces displayed at the center. After putting her arms through the small holes and her head through the big hole, Sandara had successfully worn the dress Jiyong had picked out for her. It was a floral printed dress with a ribbon at the center of the collar. It doesn't mean much but it had accentuated her figure, even though it wasn't curvy. The curtain half opened, which is enough for someone not to see her but to his hand inside.

"Wear this." Jiyong ordered from the other side, and Sandara noticed that he was holding out a sort-of jacket. She grabbed it from him and inspected. It was like the jacket they were wearing, but more comfortable and warmer.

Sandara wore it on, putting her arms through the holes.

"Oh and also this. The rubber boots doesn't look good with that." She heard Jiyong said, and from the mirror, she saw him a pair of leather boots. Sandara turned and grabbed the boots from him. Jiyong's hand disappeared.

She wore the boots on, after taking off the dirty rubber boots Grandmother Kwon gave her since there wasn't anyone there who had the same shoe size as her, as they would put it. The rubber boots were free size.

Sandara doesn't understand why she wore such clothes, and never did she wore these kind back in her days, speaking as a person who lived even before the Joseon era.

After taking a close looked herself, she gathered up her clothes along with the boots and exited the dressing room. She found Jiyong sitting on the cushion seat beside the dressing room, and he was playing with his phone.

She coughed and Jiyong looked up. Sandara can't look into his eyes because he had hidden them beneath tinted glasses.

"It's shades." Jiyong clarified. He must've heard her or read her mind. "Not tinted glasses."

He looked at the clothes she was holding, which were all his in the first place; the shirt, the knee-length denim and the plaid polo. Jiyong shook his head and ordered, "Just leave it there."

Sandara pouted and said, "Yah! These are clothes. You shouldn't throw away anything unless you'd give it to the less fortunate." She looked at the staff and said, "Give me a bag!"

"Yah!" Jiyong shouted at her. "You're going to bring that again to home?"

Sandara nodded. "You've got a problem with that?"

He grunted. "Those are relatively cheaper than what I bought you today! You're wearing Saint Laurent! Do you know how expensive that is?"

"And so?" Sandara mocked.

I had to order that beforehand and get it shipped here in Jeju-do. I had to rent this shop for two hours so that I could show you I bought you the clothes in a shop. Jiyong wanted to say, but he can't. Sandara doesn't understand even the word shipping without mistaking it to other words.

The staff took out a bag and gave it to Sandara, who placed all the clothes plus the boots inside. "I'm ready." She said, rudely after tapping the bag. Jiyong grunted and stood up from his seat. “Give me that.” He said, snatching the bag from Sandara.

“Y-Yah!” She shouted, but still followed him from behind.


“Why is it so dark?” Sandara asked as soon as she entered the manor. Jiyong had driven around the town, introducing to her some of the things that had changed in Jeju-do for the past years. When they were about to reach the best part, Jiyong looked into his watch and said, “Oh sorry. Grandmother Kwon would be waiting for us.”

So she just saved that for next time.

For the meantime, she would like to survive the dark manor.

She fumbled for Jiyong forward but he wasn’t there anymore. “For the love of the universe!” She shouted. “Kwon Jiyong!”

Her mother would surely get her for cursing. If ever she was alive.

Sandara frisks the switch for the light, which that dumb Kwon Jiyong forgot to turn on. She felt the switch under her fingers and with delight, Sandara turned it on.

Soft light illuminates the room and Sandara shriek at the sudden popping noise.

She turned her head and found them clapping their hands, wearing cone hats and smiling. Sandara shouted, “What?”

“Surprise!” They shouted back, happily.

“Of course I am!” Sandara hysterically said, grasping on the wall for help. “Don’t tell me what to feel!”

Grandfather Kwon laughed and said, “Happy Birthday, dear.”

Sandara suddenly cried, tears coming out of her eyes and Jiyong suddenly freaked out, his face showing worry.

“What?” He asked, making his way towards her. Never did he consider that she’d cry because of the surprise. He just wanted to at least make her happy after what happened last night, when she found out that her first love married her personal housemaid.

Sandara suddenly hugged him that he was taken aback. “Thank you.” She murmured against his chest and deepens her face. “Thank you.”

Jiyong held her head and smiled. “You’re utmost welcome.”
 


They were harvesting for the first time while grandmother was cooking red bean porridge. Sandara had worn a straw hat because grandmother was worried she’d get heatstroke since it has been many years since she got sunlight. She was effortlessly harvesting the vegetables and unlike others, was not very scared to get dirty. Jiyong, on the other hand, was wearing his cap and had been groaning over in his frustration because he can’t let his shirt to get dirty.

Out of frustration, Sandara threw a hand of dirt to him, smearing his white shirt. “!” Jiyong cried, gritting his teeth and then he glared at Sandara. “What was that for?”

She shrugged, unfazed and continued on harvesting the potatoes. Junghyun, the houseboy, laughed and stood up, going towards the carrots. Yunho, the driver, just sighed and continued digging.

“It won’t help if you don’t really dig.” Sandara said. “And if you don’t really accept the dirt.”

There was a drawn-out time where Jiyong thought about it well. If it comes from someone who comes from royalty, then the dirt isn’t that so bad. After a heavy sigh, Jiyong his hand into the dirt and then another, until he was really digging.

Sandara laughed and he looked at her, coyly. She was moving in slow motion with her hearty laugh sounds like music in his ears and she looked b exceptionally beautiful in her overalls. Jiyong quickly shook his head and continued digging. There was no way he would ever fall in love—not this time and definitely, not to her.

After they have harvested the quota for the day, they all relaxed inside the nipa hut at the center of the field, where Jiyong’s grandmother was cooking the red bean porridge. She readied exactly five basins of hot water where they could all place their feet and relax them from a half-day of work.

Sandara giddily removed her boots and placed her feet inside the basin, sighing at the soothing and calming effect of the lukewarm water to her feet. Jiyong, who was just beside her, took time to place his feet inside.

Grandmother Kwon placed the big pot of hot porridge on the bamboo table, and when she opened the lid, hot fragrant steam came out, twisting upwards. Sandara sniffed and sighed contentedly.

They were served each a bowl with three big scoops of red bean porridge and it looked delicious with fried dried salted fish. Grandmother Kwon handed out the utensils and after she had took her seat, did they say in unison, “Thank you for the meal!”

They all dug in, even Sandara who was still not used in using metal spoons and chopsticks. She’s uncomfortable holding the stainless steel ones.

“We use wood and bamboo back then.” She said as they eat. “It helps in containing the heat in the food.”

After the meal, Grandmother and Grandfather Kwon decided to go back to the manor together with Junghyun and Yunho. Jiyong and Sandara decided to stay, to look at the stars as night reaches, since they haven’t seen them yet. For Jiyong it would be the first, since Seoul’s night sky is foggier than of Jeju’s. For Sandara, it would be the first after a lot of years and centuries.

They both went out of the hut, excited of their minds and rush towards the grass field behind the manor, where Grandmother Kwon cultivates her ornaments. As soon as he reaches the center, Jiyong spreads the mat on the ground evenly and lied down. Sandara followed suit, though more carefully since she’s wearing a skirt.

The sun is now meeting with the moon and they both gasped, amazed, at the stars starting to appear in the sky.

“It’s just like as before.” Sandara said, smoke coming out of her lips as she spoke since it was too cold. “The stars are as captivating and beautiful back then.”

Jiyong quickly removed his jacket and spread it on top of them, warming them both. Sandara didn’t care doubling her clothes, or even wearing a jacket. She’s still living like how she lives before: She thinks dresses today are as thick as dresses before.

Sandara trembles at the temperature, and secretly, Jiyong reaches for her hands.

Then he warmed them up using his own.


They were eating breakfast outside, enjoying the warm sun when the news broke out in the radio. Sandara, who was the first time hearing one, was the only one interested and was the only one who leaned closer to hear.

Kwon Jiyong of Kwon Group of Companies is now reported AWOL. It is found that two days ago, the day after his announcement of break-up with his fiancée Hwayoung, he escaped to his ancestral house in Jeju-do, where his grandparents are now currently staying. The exact location of the manor is still unknown but due to privacy concerns, trips to Jeju-do are now being monitored by various airlines to keep the media way from the said island. But the question the people are now asking, why is the Prince of South Korea hiding? Why is he behind his father’s shadow once more? When will he courageously answer these rumors? Please tune in!”

Sandara crooked her head to the other side with her eyebrows scrunched in between and twisted. “Where did I hear that name before?”

Then she looked around us to look for answers, until her gaze darted upon me. There was a brief moment of contemplation before her face dawned into realization and she gasped, “Oh yeah!”

But she suddenly got dispirited, turning into a frown. “But you’re not a prince, you said.”

“Then what about you go out with Sandara and introduce some things to her?” Jiyong’s grandmother said quickly, changing the subject and she shrugged. “And probably, go buy her a cell phone.”

“I don’t need that tinkle.” Sandara reasoned out, using the slang word the old people refer to phones.

“Come on,” Grandmother Kwon urged, pulling both Jiyong and Sandara up from their seats, forcing them to stop eating. “Just go out.”

“But Halmeoni—“

Jiyong was cut off midway his sentence when his grandmother pushed him out with the truck’s keys.


The truck made a grumbling sound before the engine stopped. Sandara peered from her seat, looking at the hood of the truck. “Amazing!” She commented. “You’re better at this than my father when we tie up horses.”

Jiyong just rolled his eyes and went down. Sandara followed suit, remembering how he pulled the knob to open the door. When the door had successfully opened, she jumped down, closed the door and stretched her body. Jiyong, who had been worried in case she can’t open the door, shook his head and grabbed her arm.

They walked in the streets of the marketplace of Jeju-do quietly with Jiyong’s grasp still on Sandara’s arm. He was worried after all, in case she gets lost.

“That’s the meat shop back then.” Sandara said, pointing at the road. “Ah, it has now become a road.”

“Where are we going?” She asked, battling her eyelashes.

Jiyong didn’t respond and so she continue badgering him questions while poking on his arm.

“Hello? Mister?”

“Dolhareubang! We have that back then too!”

“Where are we going anyway?”

“Look at that abalone! It’s so huge!”

“Can you please be silent for a moment?” Jiyong suddenly talked and Sandara immediately zippered . “I’m trying to think here.” He continued, sighing.

They reached a marketplace where they sell phones and Jiyong immediately turned into one. He stopped in front of a glass cabinet and looked. Sandara also dared to look, but not as interested as he is at the models.

Jiyong got into a heated discussion with the seller, talking about the pros and cons of one model from another and the benefits of having this kind than this one. In the end, he settled into Samsung (A/N: I am not promoting the brand).

Sandara was thought how to use the phone by the seller, who was patient enough to teach a village fool like her. They started from turning it on and off, how to use the different buttons and what are the different applications are for. After that, he gave her tips how to take care of her phone. They took 3 hours for the lesson and after that, the seller had hardly enough saliva left and Jiyong was bored out of his mind that he’s playing with his phone already.

He had already pad for the purchase, so he grabbed her hand again after the lesson and dragged her somewhere else again.

He introduced her to the places they forgot to visit two days ago. And when there would places where it was their first time to see, they would take time to commemorate and take a picture together.

“Grandmother Kwon would like this.” Jiyong said, smiling at the picture they took at the lighthouse.

After the trip and dinner, they both decided to not abide Grandmother Kwon’s text and go home already. Jiyong accompanied Sandara to her room.

“Good night.” He said before leaving.

Sandara laughed and called, “Good night.” before going inside her room. She took a bath and changed her clothes before going to bed, never forgetting to dry her hair with a towel as Jiyong told her to.

As she was drying herself up, Sandara saw the phone Jiyong bought for her a while ago. Leaving the towel on her head, she grabbed the phone and touched the screen.

The phone sprang into life, showing its screen with Jeju-do’s lighthouse as the wallpaper. Sandara opened her message inbox and created a new message.

She typed in Jiyong’s name and sure enough, his name popped up. Sandara clicked it and moved on in typing her message.

Good night

She clicked the button for send.

With a very nervous heart, Sandara continued on the task of drying her hair while standing up while looking at her phone. After a few minutes, her hair had dried up but there wasn’t still a single reply. With a heavy heart, Sandara turned off the lights and tucked herself under the covers for bed.

Her phone was on top of the bedside table, in case it would make its magic and ring as it bear the message of Kwon Jiyong.

She was already closing her eyes when her phone started to sing a two verse song about a princess finding her own prince. Sandara quickly grabbed her phone and opened it, the wallpaper greeting her eyes.

The light almost blinded her but she was quick to be accustomed with it. She clicked the message inbox and then the box bearing Kwon Jiyong’s name, with a number 1 on top of it.

Good night. :) -J

Sandara thinks it was a smile. It was definitely a smile.

She hugged her phone close to her heart and closed her eyes, succumbing to sleep finally.