1/1

Loving the Holidays

Daehyun was not a city type of guy. He did not like crowded place where he had to constantly squirm through people and constantly bump other people’s shoulders.

So when he had decided to study abroad in Manhattan, New York, he had no idea what he was thinking.

It was holiday time too. The Christmas tree in Rockerfeller Center was yet to come down and everyone was getting ready for the new year.

But not Daehyun. Nope not Jung Daehyun.

He was standing in front of the coffee shop, holding his hot black coffee, shivering in the cold night snow as he waited for a taxi to get back to his dorm. Of course he hadn’t thought of bringing an umbrella because the forecast said was going to be sunny but of course he wasn’t smart enough to rethink that the forecast was always wrong.

And of course getting a taxi here in Manhattan had as much chance as Leonardo DiCaprio winning an Oscar. Don’t get him wrong, Leonardo was amazing. It’s just no Oscar. Why.

Anyway, that’s neither here nor there.

What Daehyun wanted now was to get home so he could curl up in his bed because the cold was currently killing him.

But of course the taxi passed him like a bug and drove over to some girls wearing incredibly revealing clothes and Daehyun wondered how they would even survive this cold.

Rolling his eyes and giving up on taxis, Daehyun decided to walk home instead. He stuffed his hands into his pockets of his black coat and covered his nose into the collar.

The black coffee surely didn’t help. He thrashed it into the trash, grunting as it hadn’t been made well anyway.

The streets were crowded again, god why is everyone out for the new year’s? Why can’t people just stay at home?

The latter rolled his eyes at every couple passing by. Gross, Daehyun would say. He was never fond of PDA. It was so annoying. Get a room.

Crunching sounds spoke with his shoes as he stepped on the fresh snow. Daehyun grumbled under his breath, wishing that he had went back to Busan for the holidays.

But the price of the plane ticket was too high for him to afford. And even if he were able to visit his home, he would have to run into his ex-girlfriend, who cheated on him, one way or another.

Jung Daehyun never enjoyed the holidays anyway. He never liked Valentine’s Day,White Day, or Black Day or Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Valentine’s Day, or what Koreans would call White Day, disgusted Daehyun. He gets sick of all the love showering from the couples. Valentine’s Day was honestly just an excuse day for .

Black Day was just a sad day. It was a day for singles, reminding them that they’re single and lonely. In fact, how is that even a holiday.

Thanksgiving. A day to give thanks. Well shouldn’t we give thanks everyday instead of just one day?

Christmas was a stupid pointless holiday that just wasted time and distracted people from the real problems in their lives. Presents that were given on Christmas wouldn’t even last until the New Years.

Ah speaking of New Years, Daehyun detested that holiday the most.

‘A New Year, a New Me,’ everyone would say. Would it be true? Of course not.

Rolling his eyes at himself, Daehyung fixed his collar and struggled to keep warm as he walked.

New Years reminded him of how little he did throughout the year. His life was repetitive. There was no excitement. He was a student studying abroad away from home, he had no friends here, he was single, he hated the holidays. Call Daehyun a New Year’s Grinch but it was true.

Jung Daehyun hated the holidays. He hated everything.

He hated walking in the snow, he hated deciding to study abroad/living alone, he hated when the city was crowded, he hated that he was single.

In fact, even his little brother had found himself a boyfriend. Yeah, Taehyung sent a family picture on Christmas. They were enjoying a nice dinner, something Daehyun craved. And beside Taehyung was his little boyfriend. Park Jimin was his name. They were so adorable together. They were so adorable together that it disgusted Daehyun.

Daehyun grumbled as he fiddled his pocket to find his key to his room. He slipped his hand out and dropped it, causing the man to curse to himself.

Opening the door, Daehyun didn’t bother to set his shoes as he just slipped right out of them and jump onto his couch.

He had an average studio apartment with a bed, bathroom, small kitchen, small living room and a balcony. It was actually big enough for two people. Not that Daehyun would be expecting anyone.

Sighing, Daehyun got up from the couch and towards his mini fridge. Disliking his life and holidays can work up an appetite.

But of course being the college student he was, the fridge was empty except with an almost spoiled milk, two eggs and one head of cabbage.

Daehyun froze, glaring at his fridge before slamming it shut. “Piece of ,” he mumbled as he now had to put his shoes back on and go to hell he called outside.

The cold wind greeted him again once he stepped out into the snow. Mumbling and complaining under his breath, Daehyun made his way to the supermarket.

The supermarket was crowded as well and Daehyun wiggled his way through the people until he reached the meat isle.

It took a while to get all the list of food he needed but Daehyun managed. He walked out the supermarket with a gloomy expression before deciding to get another cup of black coffee and maybe a cheesecake muffin.

Starbucks. Another line to wait in.

Daehyun sighed as he checked his watch. It was 7:30pm and by the time he got to the counter it was already 8:20pm.

Now that he placed his order, he waited again. There were still so many people before him that Daehyun thought by the time he gets his coffee, it’d become an ice coffee instead.

his teeth out of impatience, Daehyun looked around the other people that were waiting for their orders. A young girl was at the front, waiting for the sixth coffee to put on the small cardboard coffee holder.

When Daehyun finally got his coffee and muffin, he didn’t bother saying thank you but just took it and went. He walked over to get a straw from the counter and his hand was just about to pull it one out of the container until another hand touched his.

“Oh, sorry.” The owner of the hand pulls back, rubbing his wrist.

Daehyun rolled his eyes before glaring at the intruder but somehow his eyes lightened. In front of him was a young boy, younger than Daehyun probably. He had raven black hair, feline eyes, a cute button nose and soft but plump lips.

He was beautiful.

“Um…” The boy blinked at him. “Are you...going to get a straw?” He asked, looking at the straws and which caused Daehyun to blink rapidly.

“Uh. Y-yes.” He wanted to slam himself for staring and stuttering.

The boy gave a small chuckle. “Your coffee's getting cold.” He said as he took a straw after Daehyun. He smiled which caused Daehyun’s cheeks to feel extremely warm. Maybe they turned up the heater or something.

“Uh, yeah. The workers here are slow with making orders.” Daehyun joked, hoping to lighten up the mood. They both gave a small laugh before comfortably leaning against the counter, swirling their coffees.

Daehyun watched as the boy sipped his coffee. He knew it was rude to stare but he couldn’t help it. The boy in front of him was just so mesmerising.

“I was hoping to get some cheesecake muffins but unfortunately they ran out.” The boy said. His english was perfect. Daehyun had an accent when he spoke, which tended him not to speak.

Daehyun blinked. “O-Oh um, I probably bought the last three.” He said, feeling a little guilty he taken the such delicious treats before the beauty in front him.

No. Wait.

This might be a chance from God.

“Would you like to eat them together?” Daehyun asked in his best english. The boy stared at him, puzzled at first but then smiled brightly.

“Really? That’ll be great. You’re so sweet, thank you.” He beamed and Daehyun couldn’t help but smile back as well.

They sat at the two seat table near the window at the end. Daehyun was surprised. This was actually the first time he had ever sat here before as the shop was always too crowded with people and whenever he looked around, there would be no unoccupied seats.

“By the way,” the boy said in his perfect english as he sat down across from Daehyun. “My name is Jae.” He smiled.

“I’m Dae-...” Daehyun paused. He was about to say his Korean name. “Danny.” He said. “Danny Jung.”

Jae blinked. “Jung?” He repeated and Daehyun nodded. Blinking to himself several times, Jae gave a different smile. “If you don’t mind me asking, are you Korean?”

Daehyun paused. He was both surprised and amused because one, Jae could be Korean himself, or two, Jae was actually a professional psychic.

“Um. yeah...are you...Korean too?” Daehyun asked nervously, hoping he didn’t blow the chance when he just got it.

Jae smiled and nodded. “네, 한국 해요 (Yes, I’m Korean).” He said perfectly, chuckling afterwards.

Daehyun brightening immediately. This was the first time in the two years he’s been in Manhattan that he’s met someone of the same language. Well, he’s met some but they were no more than tourists asking for directions.

“That’s great!” Daehyun exclaimed happily in Korean, causing Jae to giggle.

“My real name is Yoo Youngjae.” Youngjae said. “But you can call me Jae if you want. It doesn’t really matter to me.”

Daehyun smiled. His cheeks started to hurt. He was never able to smile so much before. “I’m Daehyun.” He finally said. “Jung Daehyun. It’s nice to meet you, Yoo Youngjae.”

Youngjae froze a little, giving small blinks before giggling. “Sorry, it’s just that it’s been such a long time since I’ve heard people say my real name.” He explained. “People just call me Jae so much that I sometimes forget it have a Korean name.”

Daehyun chuckled. “Well, I’m going to call you by your real name, Youngjae. I like it.” He didn’t even realize what he said until Youngjae gave a small laugh and Daehyun blinked rapidly in embarrassment. “S-Sorry…”

“No, no, it’s fine.” Youngjae said, taking a bite of the cheesecake muffin. “So where in South Korea are you from, Daehyun?”

Daehyun smiled. He liked his name being called from Youngjae’s pretty lips. “Busan.”

“Ah really? I’m from Uijeongbu but I always wanted to go to Busan. I heard it’s really pretty there in the spring.”

The other man chuckled. “It’s alright.” He said. “Spring time is the best there but winter is the worst.”

Their conversation went on, having a lot of similarities. Youngjae shared the same passion for music as Daehyun and he was studying music theory here in Manhattan, saying that there’s no point in hiding your passions as Daehyun was more so pressured into engineering and business by his parents.

Youngjae also had broke up with his boyfriend just a few months before. “Long distance relationships just never work out.” He said, swirling the straw in his now cold coffee.

Daehyun nodded along, though not even thinking about his cheating ex. It was probably for the best.

“You can have the last muffin.” Daehyun offered, sliding the small treat towards Youngjae. He smiled but Youngjae only shook his head.

“No, no, it’s fine. You bought it.”

“It’s alright, you can have it.”

“But, but…”

Daehyun smiled at how adorable Youngjae looked at the moment. “How about this: either I take the muffin and then we leave to go our separate ways or you can take it so that I can meet you again to see the ball fall at the Time Square’s New Year Countdown?”

Youngjae blinked, a small blush on his cute cheeks. He didn’t answer but smiled as he silently took the muffin.

Daehyun had been proud of himself when he had arrived home. He had slept the most soundly out of many nights.

They sped up the time waiting for the New Years by much texting and little meetups.

And then on New Year’s Eve, Daehyun and Youngjae had watched the ball fall from Time Square where they had shared their first kiss.

Then after a few more dates, Youngjae moved in with Daehyun, deciding to split the rent. They spent the beginning of the new year together, as if they have been in love so so many years.

Then there’s Valentine’s Day but no Black Day, and then Thanksgiving and finally Christmas where Daehyun had introduced Youngjae to his family and everyone had fonded over the boy and teasing Daehyun about finally coming home and getting a boyfriend.

Then there’s New Years again and Daehyun had finally decided, that he really really loves the holidays.