1st Day of Work

Snowy Cold Day

Chapter 1: 

1st Day of Work

 

It is not astonishing to know that life truly is full of surprises.

However, it is only true or much more convincing after the event has already took place, after the surprise has unfold its gift; may it be happiness, success, peace, love, and even pain, misery and failure.

 

In Kang Ru Hi’s 24 years of existence, she has witnessed how life can be so beautiful yet at the same time, painful, and she felt how cruel fate can be, for playing with her heart.

 

[Present]

 

“Lulu. Lulu…,” TaeHyung whispered softly on RuHi’s right ear which is the only part of her that is uncovered by the big fluffy and warm blanket wrapped around her whole body.

“Hmm.” A sound subconsciously came out of as she shook her body to the right to make herself more comfortable inside the woollen blanket.

“Yah. Lulu! Kang Ru Hi.” TaeHyung grabbed RuHi by the shoulder and started shaking her. “RuHi~ah! Aist. Wake up already!”

“Hmm. Uh? It’s cold…” She finally raised her blanket off her face then brushed away some strands of her hair off her face, yet still with eyes closed.

“Wake up!” TaeHyung said louder as he lightly slap her pinkish cheeks which made RuHi open her still-heavy eye lids.

“Aisssh… yeah. Yeah. I’m awake. I’m…” RuHi tried to sit up but to no avail.

“Yah! Don’t sleep again! It’s morning already. We need to be early. Did you forget? Today is the start of your work in the day care.”

“TaeHyung? The snow…”

“The snow storm has already stopped, Lulu. Stand up now or we’ll get caught in the traffic.”

*yawn* “Oh. Alright.” RuHi uttered, almost inaudible to understand.

After seeing RuHi lift up half of her body from the sleep-tempting pillow, TaeHyung headed for the doorstep. “Go wash up now.”

“I’ll go prepare breakfast,” He said before closing the door.

 

TaeHyung came down the stairs as he threw his jacket at his back and slid both his arms one after the other, into each sleeve. He halted halfway after hearing no sound of running water from RuHi’s room.

“Yah! Lulu! Go wash up already and get down here in 5 minutes! Or else, no breakfast.”

Almost in an instant, Ru Hi’s body moved on its own heading towards the shower room.

She loves breakfast prepared by TaeHyung. She has always been waking up in the morning with the smell of his cooking for two years and yet never got tired of its taste.

 

---------------------------------------

AFTER BREAKFAST.

 

TaeHyung was washing the dishes as RuHi dries the plate and put them in their proper places.

While busy wiping the dry towel against the plate’s surface, RuHi thought of something that has been disturbing her since last night.

“Say TaeHyung. How about not dropping me off to work today? Your workplace is in complete opposite direction with the day care. I don’t want to bother you. Besides, I can take the bus.”

TaeHyung’s face became serious after hearing it from her. “Are you sure?”

RuHi nodded as she smiled sweetly. “Yes.”

 

----------------

 

For the past two years, TaeHyung has been accompanying RuHi when she rides the bus. RuHi never told him why she can’t ride the bus alone but TaeHyung thought of it as dependency over people or fear of being left alone.

 

However, today RuHi decided to overcome her fear.

 

When she climbed the stairs of the bus, she immediately headed towards the very corner end of the bus. She sat down with a slight nervousness and plugged in her head phones then played her favourite song, 24/7 by BTS.

 

Even though the song was not mellow, it made her calm. As she closed her eyes, the tides of yesterday flowed into her conscious mind bringing her memories flashing like scenes in movies.

 

Kang Ru Hi. Yah! Kangaroo. Don’t open your eyes yet okay?

Why? I’m so excited.

You’ll have to be patient. Here. In count of five, open your eyes.

One, two, three, four, five… Wow! Is this really for me?

Happy anniversary. My cute kangaroo!

Aww! Stop pressing my cheeks. It hurts.

What to do? You’re just so cute. I can’t help but pressing your chubby cheeks.

 

------------------------------

 

IN THE DAY CARE.

 

A lady in mid-30s welcomed RuHi in the entrance of the day care center.

“I’m so glad you accepted my invitation to work here. You  know how much that meant to me. You see, I really need a maternity leave and a vacation as well. Hehe. I hope it’s not much trouble for you.”

“Oh it’s nothing. I’ve got nothing else to do anyways.”

“How is your painting going?”

“Oh, it’s nearly finished.”

“That’s good. Come, let’s meet the kids.”

 

She led RuHi to a colourful room full of pictures and full of kids of about 5-7 years old. As soon as they step into the door step, the lady in mid-30s said, “Kids, look who’s here?”

All heads turned towards RuHi’s direction. The kids’ reactions, however, are beyond her expectation.

 

“Miss Ji Yeo, who is that?”

“Is she replacing you?”

“Huhu, we don’t want her!”

“She’s ugly!”

 

To say that she is shocked is an overstatement. She knows very well that she is not good with kids but because she’s friends with Miss Ji Yeo, she agreed to her small request.

 

That kid who yelled last, made his appearance from the back as he stood up with pride.

“I applied to this day care to be Miss Ji Yeo’s knight and not to meet a witch like you!”

“Jun Ki~ah. That’s such a bad thing to say.”

“I want to be your knight in shining armour! Is it that bad?” The little boy started throwing tantrums.

“No. That’s not wh---”

“Waaah!!! Shiro! I don’t like that witch! She’s ugly!!!”

 

Other kids began going along with JunKi’s complains. They cried and cried saying they don’t want to lose Miss Ji Yeo.

 

-----------------------------------

 

It’s 4pm. RuHi got off to work early due to that situation. Miss Ji Yeo escorted RuHi towards the bus stop.

“I apologize again for what happen, RuHi.”

“Ah. It’s okay. That happens all the time, Miss. Except the ‘ugly’ part. Haha. I especially made myself beautiful today to at least score some points from the kids but…”

“No. Don’t say that. You’re very beautiful Kang Ru Hi. The kids are just upset about me. I hope you didn’t change your mind of working here.”

“Ah. A-ani. I can’t let your offer down. I personally need a living as well. Besides, I kind of need some inspiration for my paintings.”

“That’s a relief then.”

A bus came and stopped in front of them.

“Okay, Miss. See you tomorrow.”

“Kay, good bye.”

 

------------------------------------------------

 

In the bus, she again took the seat in the last row. She was fast asleep while listening to music until the driver pressed the buzzer saying that the bus has reached the last stop.

 

With sleepy eyes, RuHi got off the bus. She used her hands to wipe off drowsiness on her eyes. Just as her vision became clear and got fully aware of her surroundings, she started wondering.

 

*This is not the right place… Wait, what did the ahjusshi said again? L-last stop? I skipped three stops???*

 

She observed her surroundings and realized that she knew this place. To her right is the café named ‘Tea Pot’.

Her gaze fell upon the couple seated near the glass window. This brought memories.

Memories of when she was smiling so brightly in front of the man of her life, the man of her dreams…

 

“Irashai masen!!!”

RuHi’s pattern of flashing pictures of the past got interrupted by a girl dressed like a maid.

“Welcome! Today is the third anniversary of our café! Please drop by a bit. We’ve got lots of special items for you!”

After giving it a thought, she decided to take a small break in there since her stomach is also craving for some coffee for this cold day.

 

-------------------

It’s five pm. RuHi received a message from TaeHyung asking where she is, so he can pick her up. She replied the exact place and TaeHyung said he is just near the place so he might arrive at about 3 minutes.

 

After taking a last sip on her coffee, RuHi stood up from her table and headed for the door.

She was about to grab the doorknob when suddenly, and as if everything went in slow motion, someone familiar appeared in front of RuHi’s very eyes.

 

 

 


A/N: I decided on getting from BTS as the characters. And for the female protagonist, i chose an OC instead of ChoRong because she will be appearing on my other fanfic. Please do check my other stories ^^ you can just click it on the lower left side of this window. Gomawo :)