Unveiled

The Unveiling


People looked up to her. She was a  mother of three, a wife, a leader. Everyone in town knew her name. Neighbors would greet her the moment she left the house. The mayor even loved her. She knew she was important and yet she still had the guts to do what she was doing.

Yoona hugged her white coat closer to her body as she walked across the pavement. The air was icy cold and the whole town was deathly quiet as if they all knew what she was planning.

She couldn't take her car. It would be too risky. They would all know it was her and realize what had happened by morning. It was easier to walk.

Yoona hastily crossed the street, looking both ways before disappearing into the woods where no one would think of finding her.
It was a quick shortcut to the station and it also shielded her from the townspeople. Although everyone was asleep, it was a small precaution in case someone was indeed awake.

Ashborn was a small town. Everyone knew each other which meant any kind of suspicious behavior would be spread like wildfire before you could even blink. People woke up at 7:00 in the morning and slept at 8:00 in the evening. It was always the same pattern, not like a law but more like a tradition that not a single person disobeyed.

 It was an old legend passed from generation to generation that brought upon this fear of the dark. Dark creatures were said to be residing in the woods and every night they would lurk among the shadows in search of their new pray. It was terrifying to say the least and it managed to frighten everyone in town. Everyone except Yoona. 

Ever since she was little, Yoona had always challenged the peoples' beliefs. She was not afraid of anything. She said what she wanted and did what she wanted whenever she pleased. It was this very characteristic that intrigued the people of Ashborn for she was the only one who thought this way. 

Unfortunately at this moment, she could never be more afraid. Never in her life had she felt her heart pound so fast or her hands feel so clammy. She was risking it all and she knew that if she didn't succeed this time, her life would surely change in ways she could never imagine.

Yoona trudged through the forest, her hands pushing away large overgrown branches covering her path. The soft sound of crunching leaves could be heard as she finally saw the train station in the distance. 

The one advantage to Ashborn was that it was helplessly and hilariously behind. The town lacked the money for security, therefore cameras and police reinforcement were limited. The only technologically stable structures in town were the trains. They were automatic so they were programmed to stop at a certain place and then come back to Ashborn all the same. There was no ticket system, the town could not afford one, which meant there was no way of tracking who got on a train and when. 

All these factors were of a great advantage to Yoona. She had planned this out thoroughly for the past two weeks. She would make her way through the woods to the station, board a train and would then head off to California where she could leave her worries and her past behind.

Yoona finally made it out of the woods and stepped onto the cracked concrete of the old train station. There were several dim lights placed beside each darkly painted bench, brochures and maps sat on a shelf all the way on the other side of the station and standing right in the middle of it all was a large dark green clock, It's loud ticking piercing her ears as she strode across the area towards the railways.

She waited hesitantly in the cold. Her furry coat was doing nothing to shield her from the awful weather. " Damn." Her hands were freezing cold as she had not brought any gloves or wore clothing with warm pockets. She brought her hand up to , blowing hot air into them and caught the time on her wristwatch. " Half past ten." She mumbled to herself. At this time the town was dead silent, of course that did not take away the fear of being caught. The people of Ashborn were stubborn but unpredictable, which left the chance of there being a late night wanderer completely open. 

Yoona checked the time quickly once more. Only a minute had gone by but one more minute and her ticket to freedom would be awaiting her. The small ticking of her watch got louder as the seconds passed, and soon the station's large clock joined in on the parade. 

Yoona watched as the second hand moved slightly and she held her breath. For a moment it was silent, but soon she could hear the soft rumbling of the evening train. Yoona let out a sigh in relief and readily waited. Around the corner she could see the bright lights of the large mechanism approaching and a spark of hope filled inside her. The train came to a stop and let out a small haunting sound, warning her of the limited amount of time that would be given to get on.

The doors slowly opened and a flood of light filled the area. Yoona smiled, her face radiating happiness before taking one step inside the train. 

Before she could take another however, a deep masculine voice resounded behind her. " Yoona-ssi, is that you?"

Yoona quietly gasped and her whole body went still. Oh no. Oh God no. She thought to herself.

" Mrs. Lee?" Yoona almost didn't respond to the same voice, forgetting her being married to Lee Donghae momentarily.

Yoona gathered whatever strength she had left in her and carefully turned around. " Yes, it is me."

It was the mayor. He had his hair neatly combed back and wore a fitting black suit. " Mm, I thought it might be."

Yoona didn't respond. The mayor was always very kind to her and treasured her more than his own wife and daughter, but at this moment he seemed anything but friendly. There was a strange harshness to his tone of voice. " If anything you would be the one to sneak out this late at night."

Yoona pursed her lips. Sneak out? She thought. The words he used pierced through her like daggers.

" May I ask," He took a step forward, " Why are you out this late? I am fully aware of your reputation, but even you have never strayed this far away from home at night."

Yoona cleared , trying to appear confident. " I should be asking you the same thing Chen."

He chuckled, shaking his head. " Alright, fair enough. To be honest I'm always wandering about at night."

Yoona's eyes widened. Who would've guessed that the town's own mayor would stray from tradition. He never seemed like the type that was willing to take risks. 

He threw his hands up in defense. " Oh, don't look at me like that. Besides I never go anywhere else besides the train station. I have to keep an eye on the old place. We can't afford any mishaps."

Yoona raised an eyebrow in confusion. Just what did that mean? Technical mishaps? Or maybe perhaps, incidents such as what she had just been attempting.

Chen put a finger to his lips, winking at her playfully. " You can't tell anyone about this Yoona my dear. It would cause utter chaos among the people if anyone found out."

Yoona nodded wordlessly and stepped forward, realizing that the doors were about to close. As expected they shut swiftly behind her causing a small gust of wind to flow through her long brown hair. Yoona tried not to show her disappointment in her failed attempt at leaving. She watched as the train slowly trailed away and her heart fell.

Chen huffed watching it leave, before turning his attention back to her. A light smirk appeared on his face. " It's a shame it left so fast. Weren't you trying to board that train Mrs. Lee?"

Yoona could hear the malice in his voice and gulped. This was definitely not the mayor she knew and she was sure she would never come to look at him the same way she did before ever again. 

The two had gone quiet for a short moment. The temperature continued to drop rapidly and Yoona began to feel extremely uncomfortable.

She straightened her coat and looked at him, expressionless. " I should be getting home." 

Chen scoffed and smiled at her devilishly. " Of course. We don't want the town's beloved Yoona to freeze to death out here in this cold."

Yoona didn't like the way he said her name. It was like he was mocking her. She didn't waste anymore time and turned around, beginning to walk away.

" I really hope you weren't planning on leaving Mrs. Lee. I'm sure you know how well the townspeople would take that." 

Yoona stopped in her tracks. Her breath quickened. He was threatening her. She hated the way he emphasized "Mrs." when addressing her. She hated the way he mentioned the people in town. She hated how easily he could use her weaknesses against her. 

She shook her head. She wouldn't  fall for his tricks. Yoona continued to walk forward, inching further and further away from the station. Unfortunately, a pair of strong arms managed to grab her from behind and spun her around. She didn't need to see who it was. She already knew it was Chen. She could smell the heavy cologne that he often wore.

However, before she could even ask him what he was doing, he crashed his lips onto hers. 

Yoona wanted to scream, shout, kick, anything in order to get him to stop, but she knew that if she did anything rash he would surely tell the town of her late night outing. 

She cringed in disgust as he continued to molest her cherry red lips and only stood there, waiting for the torture to be over. It was wrong. It all felt so wrong. She had a husband and he a wife and yet he still had the guts to kiss her. It was so despicable.

When he finally did pull away, he wiped his thumb slowly over her bottom lip and smiled in satisfaction. " I hope this teaches you a lesson my dear Yoona," He stared at her menacingly, " No one leaves Ashborn."

Yoona gulped, afraid. Chen's expression changed. He smiled sweetly and laughed heartily but Yoona knew it was all fake. " I'll see you around Yoona-ssi." He waved quickly before swiftly disappearing into the darkness leaving Yoona in the frigid cold, hopeless and hesitant.

_____________________________

Ok so I know some people may be confused as to what exactly went down and I really wanted you, the readers, to sort of put the pieces together but to put it shortly, Ashborn is a fictional town in the U.S. that almost no one knows of. Yoona was born and raised there (again that isn't true but figuratively speaking) but she has always strayed from tradition which always made people want to be around her I guess, but she has started to notice the almost scary normality and over exaggerated positivity of the people there that seems almost inhumane so she tries to leave because she knows something's wrong but doesn't succeed. Also, I did not plan to make Chen a devious sort of person all I knew is I wanted the mayor to be someone from exo and Chen was just chosen randomly, we all know he is not like that so I just wanted to clear that up. I am actually thinking of making this a full fledged chaptered story in which I could possibly reveal what the weird stuff happening in Ashborn is about but of course that is up to the response I get from this one-shot!

 

Thanks For Reading ^^