Meant This Way

Meant This Way

Meant This Way

 

"May I have your attention please? Thank you. Thank you for listening to me. I know just how hectic your everyday life in this company can be. I know how hard it is for you to get up in the early morning and make your way straight into the office, making hundreds of calls, preparing one document  after another. I also know that you feel dead tired after going home, after having put so much effort in order to create an excellent outcome that is meant to benefit our partners and clients. But I am not only talking about the hard-working young men and lovely ladies who are sitting in our offices, no. When I say 'you', I really mean all of you. Yes, I am not excluding the charming woman who serves me my afternoon coffee, or the ones who are the reason why our company is always clean and tidy. Each of you is a part of my business, of our business. Yes, each of you is so very important, I don't even know if you are aware of it! And when I say that 'I know', I don't only know. I appreciate it. I appreciate all of you, Ladies and Gentlemen. Thank you for putting so much effort into your work. If it wasn't for you, then DYB-ACOUSTICS would have never reached this level. I want to thank all of you and wish you, though it is still a bit early, a merry christmas and a happy new year. Our company surely had a wonderful year. We had a wonderful year. And I want to start the new one by increasing your salaries. Let's continue working together like this. And I should probably stop talking so much and let myself and you enjoy our delicious buffet. Wow, are those egg-rolls?"

Applause and laughter were heard in the big hall that was full with hundreds of employees.  Dong Youngbae definitely wasn't your typical CEO that you knew from movies. Not only was he young and damn handsome but also unusually good-natured and generous. He just had this kind of smile that was so bright, so warm, so genuine that it was impossible to hate him even if you wanted to.

It was exactly that smile that had made Kwon Jiyong, his secretary, fall head over heels with his boss.

Jiyong stared dreamily as Youngbae left the platform he had stood on while giving his annual speech. He watched how he smiled shyly, how he straightened his collar and fixed his tie, though, in all honesty, there was nothing he would ever have to fix because he always looked as neat as a pin. The secretary admired the way his tailored black suit hugged his body perfectly, emphasizing his manly figure, the back-combed blonde hair drawing attention to his unique facial features: thick eyebrows, small but fierce chocolate orbs, perfect nose and full lips. Jiyong sighed, his heart thumping furiously just by looking at him like this. He put a hand on his chest and took a deep breath. Oh, how was he going to face this adonis if he already got excited by the sight of him? He had to calm down. Today was meant to be the day. Today, he wanted to confess his love for Youngbae. Today, he had to be brave. Relax Jiyong, relax. Relax and - oh God. 

Youngbae was coming his way.

He started trembling.

"Jiyong?", the CEO called out, approaching his employee with a plate of appetizers. "You don't look too well. Are you alright?"

"A-ah M-mister Dong! I just feel a little bit dizzy, that's all."

"I told you to just call me Youngbae.", he smiled, "We are almost the same age, no need to use formalities. Would you like to lay down in my office? Want me to drive you to the hospital?"

"No, it's really not a big deal. I feel better already. Thank you.", Jiyong smiled, looking at his feet. God, he was so nice. The secrterary didn't even dare to look at him, afraid of blushing like a teenage girl who was talking to her favourite popstar. 

"If you say so. Don't hesitate to inform me if you change your mind, alright?"

"Alright. B-by the way, your speech just now was really brilliant. You always make us feel like we were rather a big family than a company.", Jiyong said chuckling. 

"You know, Jiyong, I have never thought of my employees as strangers. A CEO's success and recognition is not something that he has accomplished by himself. I was lucky to have had many helping hands on my way. And I would be a shameless man if I didn't acknowledge each of them. I am really ... really nothing without you all.", Youngbae emphasized, flashing a small smile towards Jiyong's direction. "Besides, I really enjoy our annual work partys a lot. There are a lot of people here, therefore the atmosphere is very lively. I like that feeling of togetherness. It is not something I experience often since I live alone."

Jiyong looked up and studied the other man. No matter how glorious and beautiful Youngbae always seemed, one couldn't deny the loneliness that he sometimes radiated. The secretary asked himself how a person like him could be single at all. Come to think of it: He had been working  for DYB-ACOUSTICS for two years but he had never seen his boss bringing someone into his office or heard him talking about a girl-or boyfriend or a lover or anything related to that. Though Jiyong was glad that he didn't have to see his crush with someone else, he still found it strange. Could it be that Youngbae had incredibly high standards? Was that the reason why he was still alone? 

The possibility that it could be the reason made Jiyong nervous. He knew he was not ugly or unattractive but was he good enough for a gorgeous man like his boss? He gulped and figured that the only way to find the answer would be to take action, to face him. and tell him openly about his feelings. 

Go Jiyong!

"Y-Youngbae, actually I ... I ..."

"Yes, Jiyong?"

"I ... I have to tell you something."

"Are you feeling sick again? You look pale.", the CEO remarked worriedly.

"No it's not that. I ... I wanted to co-"

Suddenly - he came really out of nowhere - another particularly cocky employee appeared next to Youngbae, boldly helping himself to an egg-roll that he snatched away from the CEO's plate, stuffing it into his mouth, chewing soundly and exaggeratedly at the delicious taste of it. Jiyong narrowed his eyes immediately. He only knew one person in this company who would be shameless enough to act like that in front of his boss:

Lee Seungri. 

"Oh my God, boss! To provide us such heavenly treats, you are really the best!"

"You are welcome, Seungri. I am glad you enjoy the food.", Youngbae said in a tone that the cocky employee actually didn't deserve to be spoken to. 

Seungri knew that Youngbae was too kind to scold him for his non-existant manners. It was this knowledge that gave him enough confidence to not only steal his food and talk to him informally without feeling awkward, but also the courage to flirt with the CEO whenever he had the chance to. Since he was one of his managers, he was one of the people who were the closest to him. 

And Jiyong didn't like this one bit.

He didn't like it because everyone in their company knew that all Seungri wanted was to get into their boss' pants and make him his.

It irked him. It irked Jiyong to even see Seungri. It irked him because he was actually afraid. As annoying as this panda (= the nickname Jiyong gave him) was, he did have his charms. He was somewhat attractive. And he was bold and brave, something that Jiyong wasn't but actually had to be if he wanted to confess to Youngbae. 

The panda took another egg-roll from the plate and ate it, eyeing the secretary from head to toe. "Jiyong, is that you? I didn't even recognize you with that permed hair of yours. New year new look?", he asked mockingly.

Jiyong rolled his eyes. "I wanted to try something new."

"I see, I see. It's cute!", Seungri said, smiling smugly before he turned to Youngbae. "Doesn't he look like a poor, abandoned poodle like this, Youngbae?" 

Jiyong glared at him. 

Youngbae shook his head. "Your comparisons have always been bizarre, Seungri. Besides, I think that Jiyong looks quite lovely with this style."

The secretary blushed.

"Aw, come on! You know I didn't mean it negatively!", the panda pouted and slung his arm around Youngbae and Jiyong really didn't know if he could resist the urge to choke this guy right there with his bare hands.

"I know, but you have to be careful of your choice of words." There was a little pause before someone suddenly called the CEO's name. "Oh, please excuse me for a while. Seungri, you may have this plate and Jiyong ... I will be back in a second and we can speak about what you wanted to tell me just now, alright?" 

Jiyong nodded, slightly smiling and watched Youngbae disappear somewhere in the crowd, already missing his presence and the expensive smell of his cologne. He sighed. 

Why couldn't this annoying panda have disappeared instead though?

"Tell him something? What were you about to tell him?"

"It's non of your business."

"It is my business, because I am this close to making him mine. So would you please be so kind and stay away from him my lovely colleague?"

"If you are so sure of yourself, why are you so afraid of me, huh? Besides, who are you to tell me to avoid him? You are not even his boyfriend."

"I am warning you, Kwon, you shouldn't understimate me. You think I don't notice the way you are gawking at him? You think I don't know that you wanted to confess to him, huh?"

Jiyong's eyes widened. "You ..."

"Tell me that you will stay away from him! Swear it!"

"Are you crazy? I won't!"

"You will!"

"No!"

Just in that moment, a waiter had to approach them in order to offer some drinks. Just in that moment, this foxy panda had to push Jiyong, making him crash with the waiter. In that moment, all kinds of red wine and alcoholic drinks landed straight on Jiyong's new shirt and partly on his hair, bathing him in liquid, embarassing him in front of the whole company and in front of Youngbae.

"Oh my God! Are you alright?", Seungri said, seemingly shocked, but Jiyong knew that it was all just acting. 

Jiyong closed his eyes. He didn't want to see everybody's eyes on him when he was in such a miserable state. If there was one thing that he really hated, then it was being embarassed.

And this was supposed to be the evening that would change his life, yeah? Well, it. He needed to go the closet first.

Jiyong made his way without looking at anyone, relieved when he discovered that he was the only one there . He unbottened his ruined white dress shirt before he eventually held it under the stream of water, trying to wash the stains the best way he could but he knew it was useless. He tried with hand soap, too. Still useless. Jiyong let out a frustrated sigh. That panda. He would definitely have to take revenge on him. Maybe he could just spit into his coffee next time he would be at Youngbae's office to discuss 'work'. Or he could add something purging into it so he would fart like there is no tomorrow while being next to their boss. Jiyong smirked. Yeah, that sounded too tempting!

Youngbae though ...

The secretary sighed, leaning against the sink. Maybe this wasn't the right time after all. Maybe it just didn't mean to happen today.

Or any other day. 

"Jiyong?"

The half- secretary's eyes widened upon seeing his CEO. "Y-Youngbae!" Jiyong quickly held his shirt in front of his chest, his face becoming hot an definitely red. This was even more embarassing than having your shirt ruined in front of everyone!

Youngbae let out a deep sigh. "It was Seungri right? He pushed you."

"How ... how did you know?"

"So it was him. This kid. I already predicted that he had something against you, so this move of him does not actually surprise me to be honest.", Youngbae said with a crooked smile before he made his way towards the sink, taking his jacket off and handing it to him. "Here, please wear this. You could catch a cold."

"T-Thank you.", the secretary said meekly, quietely wearing the garment, secretely getting lost in the expensive Youngbae-scent that it emitted.

"Jiyong?"

"Hm?"

"I know it might be inconvenient right now but.", the CEO chuckled nervously, "May I ... May I know what you were about to tell me before Seungri interrupted us?"

"O-oh that. Uhm.", Jiyong stuttered, biting his lip. "I-It wasn't that important actually."

"Are you sure?"

Jiyong studied the man before him, this time seeing something in his eyes that was hard to define. It was more than the usual loneliness, more than the usual sparkle. Youngbae's eyes were fixed on him, looking right into his soul, making impossible for Jiyong to utter a single sentence that made sense. 

When he didn't receive an answer, Youngbae suddenly moved right in front of his secretary, hand on eiter side of the sink, trapping him and Jiyong thought he could die right then and there because he had his beloved one so close, so damn close that he could even feel his breathing on his face. 

"Are you sure that it wasn't important, Jiyong?", the CEO whispered, looking at the man before him with an expression that screamed longing  and desperation. Youngbae brought his hand up and pressed his palm against one of the rosy cheeks of his secretary, feeling the hotness of his skin. "Because actually, I was hoping to hear something that I haven't dared to tell you ever since you started working here."

"Y-You wanted to tell me something, too?", Jiyong babbled, unsure of what he should say.

Youngbae smiled. "Yes. I have wanted to tell you something for two years now. You know I ... I really like you Jiyong. I mean, I like you a lot. You attract me. You attract me so much to the point that I couldn't even date anyone ever since you came here.", he chuckled, "I mean, I tried but all I thought about was you all the time. I just can't get you out of my head. I keep hearing your laughter and I keep seeing you everywhere. And when you greet me in the mornings, I always tell myself to just ... to just ask for a date or something but I can't." 

"Does that mean that, all this time you have been ..."

"I have been in love with you."

"A-and I was the reason why you never ..."

"You were the reason why I haven't been in a relationship for two years.", Youngbae admitted, smiling bashfully.

"Wow.", Jiyong uttered, biting his lip, hardly surpressing the cocky grin that was about to show itself. He circled his arms around Youngbae's torso. "And what are we going to do now?", he asked, smirking. 

"Hm, I suggest ...", the CEO moved his hand again, now placing them firmly on the other man's narrow hips, "That we start this meeting by doing this."

That his boss had been in love with him all this time had surprised Jiyong. But never ever would he have thought that Youngbae and him would share their first kiss in a public restroom with him being half- under the jacket that belonged to his crush. So maybe, just maybe it was meant to happen today.

But who would have thought that it was meant to happen this way?

(EDITED, 24.12.2014)