One

A Twist In Time

 

“A man devoid of hope and conscious of being so has ceased to belong to the future.” 

― Albert Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus and Other Essays

 

 

Luhan sits by his bed, his eyes fixated outside of the window. There really wasn't anything pretty to be seen, it was endless skyscrapers in this large city. He was, rather more interested in the skies before him. The skies, that at a closer look, presented a subtle hint of an impending thunderstorm. He always wondered, if the skies on that day were the same as they were today. He wondered if, just maybe if, he looked out the window that day. If he had looked closely enough to see the subtle hints and decided to stay home after all, would everything have been different then?

Maybe it would. His mouth curls into a slight smile but it quickly disappears. Or maybe it wouldn't.

It could be what they called fate, destiny or whatsoever — that there was no escape, and no matter how hard one tries to run away, with all your might, or even thinking that you could have escaped it, what will come, will always find you in the end. He was quite certain that he was a fool for always believing otherwise, but one's a fool when it comes to love, and if there was a chance that things would change on the 100th try, he did not mind being a fool for the rest of the 99 tries. 

Today, Luhan wasn't certain whether anything would change. He had lost count in the number of times it had happened all over again. However, there was one thing that he was certain of. He closed his eyes shut, and counts.

Three

Two

One

He wished with all his might in that three seconds. He prayed that for once, Yifan wouldn't come in. But, when he hears that all familiar sound of the door opening, he knows it is all over again.

 

<><><>

 

Sehun is in the driver seat of his Porsche, as he takes a puff from the cigarette. He was still nauseous after speeding at 150km/h on the expressway. Yet, he enjoyed, or rather, was addicted to the thrill and the after effects that came along after it. One can call him mad, because suffering was his addiction, and so was making Jongin suffer together.

Hearing the engines of the car roar loudly on a silent night, or the cursings of other drivers as he swerves dangerously across the three lanes — back and forth, or even having the traffic police hot on his tails. These were part and parcel of Oh Sehun's life now. 

Even if those cease to exist, Oh Sehun wasn't alone. 

Jongin looks at the person sitting beside him and something unfamilar registers itself in his mind. Somehow, he felt that Sehun wasn't the same today, not like his usual self. Sehun notices the gaze on him and looks at Jongin, "You have something to say?"

Are you the Oh Sehun I know? What's with you today?

Jongin hesitates for a moment, and the words that were stuck in his throat never saw the light. He looked away from Sehun, out of the car window. He sees Sehun in the car reflection and sighed deeply. The sihoulette of the very man that took his heart away stared right back at him, a different vibe scorching his soul. It wasn't that he didn't want to say it, but it's kind of like when you know someone well, you know what line not to cross. Oh Sehun was someone who didn't like people questioning him, and Jongin makes sure he doesn't.

He's just having a bad day. Everyone has that one day, tomorrow will be better. Jongin thought to himself.

Sehun takes another puff. His thoughts are clouded with frustrations and helplessness. He knows and without a warning, he steps on the accelerator and speeds off again.

He knows. That there is no tomorrow.

 

---

 

Red is a very interesting color. It can symbolize love, such as seen in the form of red roses. Such a loving color hides another side, which symbolizes anger, violence, such as in the form of blood. What is the meaning of red to you? Should one love it, or maybe not? 

Yifan opened the door and walked in, his hands behind his back with a bouquet of red roses. He walks slowly towards Luhan, who was fsits bed. Carefully crawling into the bed, he waves the bouquet of red roses at Luhan's face. The sweet smelling scent in the air does not escape his sense of smell, as Luhan takes the roses from Yifan's hands. 

"Thank you." He arches his head forward to give a light peck on Yifan's cheeks.

"Let's go out today."

Luhan pulls the blanket over his face and whines a 'no'. He was feeling tired and lazy and the nice weather enticed him to stay at home and cuddle in bed.

"Not even Namsan Tower?"

Kris asked suggestively with a grin on his face. He knows the latter had always wanted to go there since a very long time ago and what better day to go there than their 3rd anniversary together.

Twenty minutes later, they are out of their house, all ready to go. Luhan strides down the stairs, and goes into their garage, only to find a new red Ferrari. He turned back in surprise, and sees Yifan, who's grinning from ear to ear.

"Like it?"

Luhan nodded and laughed, "Let's take this new baby out for a ride then."

They were talking about the beautiful scenery that their destination would offer, when what happens next, is something Luhan will never fathom. It happened in the blink of an eye. He hears the loud crash, and feels his body jerking out of the car. He smells the raw metallic scent in the air, and struggles to open his eyes. In the little vision he is granted, he sees the color red. A lot of red.

If Luhan had to choose a color he hated, it would be red. 

 

---

 

Kim Jongin.

Sehun closes his eyes and pictures the first time he meets Jongin. It was back in high school, and Jongin was the new transfer student. Sehun couldn't care less about who was new, he preferred to mind his own business. Up until Jongin suddenly joins the dance club and immediately assumes the role of lead dancer, which Sehun believes is rightfully his.

"Who is he even? Can he dance better than Sehun?" Yixing grunts, crossing his arms.

Sehun furrowed his eyebrows. He had certainly never expected someone who was a newbie to take the role. 

"Hey."

"My name's Kim Jongin, and nice to meet you, Oh Sehun." He extends his hands out, which Sehun didn't bother to reciprocate.

"Dance battle." It wasn't a question, it was more of an order.

Jongin flashes a smile and nods. The music starts and Jamie Cullum's Don't Stop The Music started resounding in the dance studio. 

Perhaps it was the way Jongin moved with the music. The graceful movements and the emotions that he displayed while dancing. Jongin turned the song into his own, as if he was dancing his life. Sehun was mesmerized by the dance, and even more by the dancer.

He is brought back from his thoughts to reality when he hears a knock on the door.

"Come in." He spins his chair around and grabs the pen on the desk. "I'll sign them later."

Zitao, his secretary, hesitates if he should let Sehun see this. "U-uhm it's n-not doc-cuments." He stuttered, clutching the envelope in his hands.

Sehun raises his head and looks at Zitao in the eyes. "Are you the boss or am I the boss?"

Zitao puts the envelope down immediately. Sehun didn't even have to open the envelope, it was transparent. He wished he hadn't look, but he did.

He sweeps the things off the table in anger and clenches his fists.

Three years. 

Two best friends who betrayed him.

One idiot who thinks he still can save it all.

Kim Jongin. Do Kyungsoo. He smirked and mutters, "We're all going to hell together."

 

---