How Woohyun (finally) took him home

Wild Innocence
Please log in to read the full chapter

moved <3 (you're welcome to comment again haha) you will see why i moved it soon!

Woohooo~ part two >:D If you follow me on Twitter, you probably noticed it took me a few days to finish. I got some stuff on my mind and this part turned out to be much bigger than the first. Not just 2-3 pages longer. It's 22 pages. EIGHT pages more than part one. So fall on your knees and thanks me, peasants I don't know how it got so long, but a ridiculously huge amount of it is . I added a warning for it down there, for all you innocent little foxes :D Sorry if the ;A;"

I hope you guys like it and SO MUCH THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT SO FAR!! I can't believe fox!Gyu has such a huge fanbase, but haha, I cannot blame you guys! Sunggyu and foxes...nnnnghhh >______<"""" I'm really happy about the support anyways, so thanks a lot and keep the comments raining on me! (Then I might write more of this AU one day, because it is so much fun omg..)

See you below he he he.
 

XX. Wild Innocence [foxhybrid!gyu, woogyu, fluff]
Part Two

This story is dedicated to Dani (Ily <3). Big thanks to Koi for the poster and to Chloe for the fanart!

WARNING OF INTENSE FLUFF AND UTTER CUTENESS THAT MIGHT CAUSE HEARTATTACKS

 

He’s late the next day, because a huge problem had popped up at work 30 minutes before he could’ve gone home. He got stuck in traffic too, making him more than an hour late for his next meeting with Sunggyu. Woohyun just hoped the younger hybrid would not hold it against him.

The fox was waiting for him right at the entrance of the shelter. Woohyun wondered for how long he had been sitting there, as he got out of his car and walked over to him. Sunggyu was wearing the cap that he left behind yesterday. It looked a little weird, since his ears disappeared below it and the hybrid looked just like any other human – well, except for the fact that the cap was moving a bit, probably from the squeezed fox ears beneath.

Sunggyu stood up as he spotted him and the older man almost tripped over his own two feet when the fox smiled at him.  “Woohyun! You are late!”

“I know! How long have you been waiting for me?”

The hybrid lowered his head, kicking a pebble away with his left foot. “Not long.”

Which probably means he has been waiting hours. He reached out to touch his hair, then stopped and hesitated for a moment before resting his hand on top of the cap. He felt the fox ears fluttering below the tip of his fingers. “Did you think I wouldn’t come?”

“You said you’d take me home with you, but I woke up alone in my bed.” The younger man puffed his cheeks. “Toni-ssi only said you will come after you’re done with work…”

Woohyun laughed. “Did you think I would whisk you away at the dead of night while you’re sleeping? I’ll take you home with me. I promised you, didn’t I? I left you my cap as proof of that. We should take one step at a time, though. Toni-ssi also wants me to come more often before I can take you home with me.”

He adored the light pink flush that covered Sunggyu’s cheeks. “Doesn’t the cap hurt your ears? You can take it off-“

“No!” Sunggyu swatted his hands away and danced up the stairs with swift steps. “I’m keeping it until you fulfill your promise. Are you hungry, Woohyun?”

He blinked. “Yeah…a bit.”

The fox smiled. “I’ll get food for you. We can eat on the porch.”

Woohyun followed him inside. “Go ahead to the porch. I’ll follow!”

Sunggyu hurried off towards the kitchen and the older man thought he heard him mumble something like ‘Stupid Toni!’. Woohyun chuckled quietly and walked towards the porch. There were no kids around this time, as perhaps it was too late already. A peaceful silence lay on the shelter and Woohyun sat down on the porch with a content sigh. The only light came from a little lamp on the house wall and the stars. He looked up at the sky. “Beautiful.”

He turned his head when he heard footsteps approaching. Sunggyu crossed the play room with a wooden tray in his hands. Woohyun noticed that he didn’t have the cap on anymore, but instead it was now attached to his belt. So he did take it off. I guess it must be uncomfortable for his ears.

The fox put the tray on the wooden porch next to Woohyun and sat down beside it. Woohyun eyed the dishes on the tray with awe. There was a little plate with two sandwiches, a little bowl with what seemed to be soup, a peeled tangerine and a cup of warm tea. “Wow! Did you prepare that?”

Sunggyu nodded eagerly. “I made the sandwiches and the miso soup myself. I thought you might be hungry.”

“This is all for me?”

Another nod. “Eat it before it gets cold.”

His first meal prepared by Sunggyu. He sure as hell wasn’t going to waste the hybrid’s efforts. “Thank you, Sunggyu-yah.”

The fox averted his gaze, playing with the cap on his lap. “Say that after you’ve tasted it. Maybe you’ll change your opinion on taking me home…”

“I highly doubt that.” Woohyun tried the soup first. It was still hot, probably freshly heated up for him.

It tasted amazing, though. Sunggyu really seemed to be an amazing cook, though that too was probably something that had been written down in his genetic code. Woohyun still found it amazing nevertheless. Honestly, he’d take Sunggyu even if the food tasted like . He wasn’t here to buy the perfect hybrid servant after all. What was he here for then? Woohyun wasn’t sure. Maybe to gain a friend, a little brother – maybe more. He only knew that it was nice to have Sunggyu around and he really wanted to help the fox out of here. The hybrid saw him as his beacon of hope and now Woohyun felt responsible not to let go of the tiny hand grabbing his shirt.

He noticed Sunggyu staring at him intently, as he tried the soup and then the sandwiches. Woohyun could see that he desperately wanted to ask if the food was to his liking. He smiled inwardly and took his time eating. It was a bit mean, but it was fun to see the fox shift and fidget next to him nervously as he tried to keep the question in. Maybe that really was what Woohyun so liked about the other: it was clear that he wasn’t acting. Sunggyu had taken his time to cook this for him and now he wanted to be praised for it. He wondered shortly how much of it was his DNA and how much Sunggyu’s own personality. Somehow he understood why people had wanted to buy a hybrid so badly, back then when the hype started. It was a nice feeling to see someone depend on you so desperately. To see someone needing you so badly. It made him feel a little bad that he actually enjoyed seeing Sunggyu like this, all desperate for his love and attention.

“It tastes wonderful, Sunggyu-yah.” He finally said after the soup was empty and one of the sandwiches gone.

Sunggyu’s face lit up at his words. “Really? I’m glad!”

“You don’t have to be so…anxious, you know. I’m not going to say no just because you can’t do something well.”

The fox blinked. “Does it not taste good?”

“No! It’s perfect. I just…I want you to relax around me. It’s okay not to be perfect at everything.” Woohyun tried to explain it to him.

Sunggyu tilted his head to the side. “I want to be useful to you.”

He took a breath. “I didn’t choose you because you’re useful. You didn’t choose me because I’m useful either, right?”

He swallowed, unsure how Sunggyu would answer his question. Woohyun felt a little anxious too. Did Sunggyu really want to go with him or was he just a convenient escape from the shelter? Was their connection only one-sided? Toni had said that the fox easily got attached to people, so what told Woohyun that he would not lose interest in him soon?

“No…I like you. A lot.” Sunggyu mumbled shyly and the older man felt his heart flutter for a moment.

“Well, I also like you. Not because you’re useful, you surely are, but you’re more than that. I want to take you home with me because you’re a great person. Heck, you’re probably a better person than me or any other human. You’re…wonderful, fascinating, kind-hearted-“ He stopped talking when he saw Sunggyu turning away from him.

“Sunggyu-yah? What’s wrong?” Woohyun asked worriedly.

He tapped the hybrid’s shoulder, but Sunggyu didn’t budge and still showed him his back. The fox only pulled his legs to his chest and buried his head in his arms. Woohyun went through the things he had just said. Had he hurt the other unconsciously? He lifted his hand and brought it back to the space between Sunggyu’s ears. They twitched at the touch and Woohyun softly his hair. Doing this was something he could not stop. It was like an addiction. Sunggyu’s hair was as soft as feathers below his touch and Woohyun just wanted to keep his hand entangled with it forever.

“I’m sorry if I hurt you-“

“No!” The fox interrupted him. The ears twitched again, turning slightly downwards. “I’m just…ugh…I was embarrassed…”

Woohyun’s eyes widened and then he laughed. He ruffled his hair with more vigor and the fox whined in protest. “Don’t laugh! People don’t…they don’t usually compliment me much. Except for my family here…”

“You better get used to it. I’m going to tell you how perfect you are every day, once you’re home with me.” Woohyun scratched him behind the right ear and he smiled happily, when the hybrid wriggled out of his hand’s grip.

The fox finally turned to him again with a light touch of pink on his cheeks. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome, Sunggyu-yah. Say…what do you like about me? Why do you want to go home with me?” Woohyun held his breath as he waited for an answer.

“Well, Sungyeol and Dongwoo told me a lot about you, before you came here.” The hybrid started, his gaze turned to the fidgeting hands in his lap. God damn it, Lee Sungyeol and Jang Dongwoo! What were you doing telling everyone about me?! “They said your apartment is in a terrible state and that you don’t eat properly, because you spend too much time in clubs or at work.”

He clicked his tongue. Just you wait, Lee Sungyeol. I will see you at work! “But they also said that you’re honest and hard-working, nice and a really good friend. I was glad when they brought you over, because you were everything they had said. You took care of the kids, although they annoyed you. And you never seemed like you were looking down on us. I wanted to get to know you better, to catch your attention and maybe…maybe you would find me interesting enough. You left and I thought you would not return…that I failed. But you came back. That’s when I knew I wanted to come with you, I think.”

Now it was Woohyun’s turn to avert his gaze. He glanced at the starry sky again. Sunggyu’s words moved him. It was getting cold outside, but he felt all warm and fuzzy inside. Meeting the fox was the best thing that happened to him in years. They were different, human and hybrid, but with Sunggyu it didn’t feel like that. He was no pet. Woohyun would not be able to have a conversation like that with a dog or cat. They had only had a few meetings so far, but he already proved to be a much better acquaintance than the people he sometimes met at the pub or club. He was unique.

“Sorry I kept you waiting for so long. I wasn’t…I wasn’t planning on getting a pet – hybrid, I mean. I always felt content living alone and having few friends, eating whatever I could find in the fridge. I wasn’t that content, to be honest. I was lonely and I was jealous of Sungyeol and Dongwoo. Whenever I saw them together with Hoya and Myungsoo, they seemed so happy, complete somehow. I never told them that I was jealous of that. I never had that kind of connection with someone.”

“But you want me?” Sunggyu asked him, his voice mirroring his hope and fear.

Woohyun smiled. “Yeah. I think you can give me that happiness. It’s really strange.”

The hybrid chuckled. “Well, I am strange. Unnatural…”

“You’re not strange or unnatural. You are special, Sunggyu. Look at me. I’m a boring human without any special talents!”

Sunggyu smiled. “I guess that’s true. A little boring.”

Woohyun gasped. “You were supposed to deny that!”

He laughed to show that it was only a joke and the fox laughed along. Once they were done laughing, a comfortable silence embraced them again. Woohyun finished the food that Sunggyu had prepared for him. He shared half of the tangerine with the fox and then they continued talking for a bit more until it got too cold outside. They went back inside and reluctantly said goodbye to each other. Woohyun was surprised when the hybrid gave him another strong hug.

“I want go home with you.” Sunggyu hid his face against Woohyun’s chest.

“Hey, I won’t change my opinion, okay? You know what? It’s Saturday tomorrow. I will speak to Toni and if he agrees, I’ll take you home with me.”

The fox looked up to him with surprisingly wide eyes, bright and glowing in excitement. Woohyun laughed shortly. “You’re really happy, aren’t you?”

Sunggyu puffed his cheeks in reply. The older man poked them playfully and the fox stepped away from him. “Don’t make fun of me! I’ve…I’ve always waited for this…”

Woohyun took him back into his arms, when he saw the tears filling Sunggyu’s eyes. He rubbed his back gently. “Ssh, don’t cry. I’m sorry. I’m not laughing at you. If anything, I’m probably as excited as you are.”

His heart clenched when he heard the soft sobs from the fox. The smaller figure shook in his arms, tears wetting his shirt. Woohyun the back of Sunggyu’s head. “Don’t be sad, Sunggyu. I’m sorry.”

“I’m not sad…I just can’t believe this is happening. Sorry…just a minute, let me stay like this.” The hybrid mumbled against his chest.

Woohyun felt relief at his words. He smiled and continued his comforting hand movements. “As long as you want.”

He would give Sunggyu all the time he needed. Woohyun could not even begin to imagine what he must’ve gone through these past years. How often had he clung to someone like this in the past, before he had stopped dreaming of finding a new home? There was no way for him to know what it felt like to the hybrid. But he knew that it would be different from now on. Woohyun was sure that he wanted to take him home – now more than ever. His friends had been right about everything. Once you saw them and listened to their stories, you could not simply turn away again. Sunggyu had caught his heart and he was determined to give the fox a home.

It seemed like far too soon when the fox recovered and pulled away. Woohyun could not help but reach out to wipe the last traces of tears away. “Better now?”

“Better!” Sunggyu gave him a smile to show that he was okay. “I’m sorry for that.”

“It’s fine. I told you to be yourself, though I hope this is the last time I have to see you cry.”

The hybrid smiled. “I’ll try.”

Sunggyu yawned suddenly and the older man ruffled his hair shortly. “You should go to bed. I bet you had a long day thanks to the kids. I’ll be back tomorrow, okay?”

“Okay…drive safely.”

Woohyun stepped away reluctantly and waved goodbye to the other. “I’ll see you tomorrow. Sweet dreams, Sunggyu-yah.”

He walked away with a heavy heart. Never had going home to an empty apartment been harder.

 



Woohyun spent a lot of his Friday night and Saturday morning trying to get his place relatively clean - just in case that Toni allowed him to take Sunggyu home with him. He did not want the hybrid to get a shock upon entering his apartment and turn away again immediately with the wish to go back to the shelter. It was only when he was about to leave that Woohyun noticed something important: he only had one bed slash bedroom. He thought about that problem for a few minutes, before he decided that he would sleep on the sofa until they found another solution. Woohyun was sure that the fox would protest against that and insist on being the one sleeping on the sofa, but the older man would have none of that.

There was still the option of them sleeping in one bed.

His eyes widened and he shook his head. “What are you thinking? You’re not buying Sunggyu to sleep with him!”

Woohyun grabbed his jacket and the key bundle, before stepping out of his apartment. Every step felt like he was walking on clouds. The thought of taking Sunggyu home with him today filled him with happiness. He wanted to get him out of there so badly, not because the place was bad, but because Sunggyu would always have a shrink of doubt until Woohyun really took him. His phone vibrated as he sat down on the driver’s seat. Woohyun fished it out of his pocket and sighed when he saw Sungyeol’s name.

- Getting Sunggyu finally? That’s my boy!
  Good luck, kekeke!

His mouth twitched. “What do you mean ‘my boy’?”

- Are you stalking me? How do you know?

- I installed a camera in your car.

- You’re lying. I won’t fall for that!

- You are wearing the white shirt that makes your
  tanned skin stand out. The one Dongwoo accidentally
  landed ketchup on and you washed it until it was gone,
  well, until you thought it was gone, but everyone knows
  it is still there.

Woohyun stared at the screen and then at the shirt he was wearing. He had a lot of white shirts, so Sungyeol could’ve guessed it. But the ketchup stain… “No, it’s gone…I checked it.”

He checked his shirt again, but he just couldn’t find the stain. How can he meet Sunggyu with a dirty shirt? His phone vibrated again.

- I was only joking. About the stain I mean.
  Now unlock the car door for me.

His eyes widened and he looked to the passenger side in shock, but there was no Sungyeol standing next to his car.

- You really thought I was there, right? Hahaha.
  You’re so cute, hyung. You always fall for my traps.

Woohyun glared at his phone and threw it on the passenger’s seat. Why was he wasting his time with that dumb friend of his? Why did he even believe anything Sungyeol said anymore? He felt like an idiot for even considering Sungyeol having a camera in his car. His friend had only played with him – like always. It was time he got a real and genuine friend, like Sunggyu.

He grabbed his phone once more. - You are fired.

Now, that felt good.



The drive to the shelter seemed twice as long as normal, although Woohyun drove as fast as he could – possibly a little faster than allowed. He only slowed down after almost crashing into another car. It was hard to calm down, because he was so nervous, but he was of no help to anyone dead. Woohyun’s heart raced inside his chest, as he saw the familiar building appear in the distance. Hopefully, he had all important papers with him. He had come prepared, just in case that Toni allowed him to take Sunggyu home today. Neither of them wanted to wait and Woohyun would not change his opinion any day soon.

Woohyun had not even parked the car completely when the fox already stormed out of the building. Some children followed after him and Woohyun laughed softly. At least he wasn’t the only one being impatient. He turned off the engine and got out of the car quickly. “Hello.”

The children laughed and circled him with happy faces. Sunggyu stood behind them and waved shyly. Minzy pounced against his leg. “Handsome oppa! Sunggyu-oppa said you will take him home today!”

“Take good care of our hyung!”

“He likes sweet things the most!”

“Can we see him from time to time?”

The fox finally stepped in and tried to chase them away. “Now, now, kids! What did I tell you about bothering people?”

“Don’t bother them!” They said in chorus.

Woohyun smiled. It was moving to see how much the children were listening to him. Who would keep them in check once Sunggyu was gone? He felt a bit bad for taking the fox away from them. “They’re not a bother.”

The hybrid gaped at him and then the little kids all started cornering him again. “Children! It’s time for lunch. Get back inside.”

Woohyun looked back to the entrance and saw the lady from last time standing there. The mob of children dispersed and they all fled back inside happily. Sunggyu let out a relieved sigh. The older man laughed shortly. “I guess we’re saved?”

She looked at them. “Toni-ssi told me to send you to his office, once you arrive. Sunggyu can bring you there. He wanted to speak to you two.”

He swallowed. “Thank you.”

They watched her leave and the fox finally came over to give him a hug. Woohyun smiled and his back affectionately. “How did you sleep?”

“I could not sleep. I was too nervous.” Sunggyu admitted.

“Me too. I kept myself busy with cleaning the apartment and stuff.”

The hybrid pulled back and puffed his cheeks. “You could’ve just waited until I could clean it.”

He ruffled the soft hair playfully. “You will have enough chances to show off your skills, trust me. By the way, that is a cute yellow hoodie. It suits you.”

Sunggyu’s face became red in an instant. The fox averted his gaze shyly. “T-Thank you. We should…should go see Toni-ssi.”

He turned around and walked ahead with quick steps. Woohyun laughed quietly and followed him. Too cute. He caught up and walked next to Sunggyu, observing the fox as they headed towards Toni’s office. The hybrid seemed to avoid looking at him, but Woohyun caught him glancing at him more than once. How could a single person fill him with so much happiness? Sunggyu was more human than anyone he knew. A human that was perfect in his own, adorable, way.

They stopped in front of the door and Sunggyu gave him an anxious glance that seemed to silently ask ‘Are you sure?’. Woohyun smiled and took his hand. “Let’s go. I can’t wait to show you my home.”

He opened the door and pulled the younger man inside. Woohyun was nervous too, so it was best not to think about it for too long. “Hello, Toni-ssi.”

“Hello, Woohyun. And Sunggyu.” He smiled at them and pointed at the sofa. “Take a seat.”

They did as told and Toni said down opposite of them after getting a few papers. “I can see how impatient you two are, so I’m not going to beat around the bush. You can take him home with you today if you want.”

Woohyun wanted to shout out in joy, but instead he sat there calmly and nodded. Toni continued. “I readied all the necessary paper work. You have to give me a few signatures here and there. We have checked your background and everything already, so there is no reason for us to reject your wish, especially since Sunggyu seems hell-bent on going with you. He even packed his things already.”

The fox grumbled something next to him. Woohyun’s smile did the impossible and grew even wider. “Is that so? I’m glad to hear that.”

“Sorry if I’m annoying you, but you are perfectly sure about this, right? Taking a pet home is a big responsibility, especially since Sunggyu is not a normal pet. But I’m guessing you have heard this lecture more than enough already.”

He could feel the fox staring a hole into the side of his head. Woohyun squeezed his hand shortly. “I get it and yes, I am sure of it. I want to add Sunggyu to my family.”

Toni nodded and spread the papers out on the table. Woohyun leaned over to look at them and he saw the hybrid do the same. It looked like any other contract and truthfully, there was so much text that it made his head swim. “You can read it calmly at home. It’s mostly taken directly from the hybrid protection law. Nothing bad I assure you, but if you want to be informed of the don’ts of hybrid keeping. For example, it is against the law to dump a hybrid somewhere when you lose interest or to kill them – and so on. Pretty logical stuff, normally, but trust me it has happened. They are just laws to protect them.”

“Okay.” Woohyun said. He did not have a reason not to trust his words. He left his first signature at the end of what seemed like page 6.

Another page was put on top. “This is Sunggyu’s birth certificate and his vaccination card – please don’t lose either one.”

Woohyun picked it up and looked at it closer. Born on April 28th, 1989. There was even a baby photo attached and if he hadn’t been convinced of buying Sunggyu before, this would’ve pushed him over the edge. He looked like a doll, unlike most human babies that looked ugly and wrinkly after birth. Instead the baby had fair and smooth skin, a little mob of brown hair and the tails plus ears Woohyun already knew. He could not describe why the picture filled him with a bit of sadness. Maybe because the baby wasn’t crying. He was just lying there calmly like a doll, staring at the camera seemingly expressionless. There was no mother or father waiting to hold him in their arms. He was born alone. Born from a test tube.

He read the rest of the birth certificate carefully. It was obvious that scientists had written it and not a normal nurse. The writing lacked any kind of care or love. Woohyun also found the things Toni told him before on that paper. Failed experiment. He wanted to crumble the paper and throw it into a fire. He knew this was probably the moment where most potential parents of Sunggyu had backed out, because some scientists listed how this and that had not turned out as expected. Who even cared about that?

“Woohyun?” He heard an anxious call to his left.

The older man looked at Sunggyu. “Everything’s okay. I was just mad…how can they write that kind of stuff about you.”

“But it’s true-“

“No, it’s not! Don’t ever think so.” Woohyun rubbed the back of his neck. “I like you the way you are.”

The ears of the fox twitched and a slight blush covered his cheeks. Toni laughed. “I see that Sunggyu will be in good hands with you. Here is the purchase agreement, Woohyun-ssi. Just two more signatures and we’ll be done.”

Another paper was put in front of him and Woohyun looked over it carefully. There was nothing wrong with the contract as far as he could see. The only part that surprised him was the total sum of money that Sunggyu cost. It was quite a sum of money, of course, but it was way below what he had expected. Woohyun had even wondered if he might have to change his apartment to afford the hybrid. He looked at the owner of the shelter. “Are you sure about the price?”

“I don’t take more money than I need. I’m not doing this for profit. I go as down as I can with the price. Any lower and I could be sued for giving them away at dumping price. Plus, you are friends with Sungyeol and Dongwoo.” Toni replied with a gentle smile.

He felt like he should take more time to read the contract, but with Sunggyu’s gaze burning into him again, Woohyun knew that the fox could not wait any longer. “Thank you, Toni-ssi. I’m grateful.”

“I’m the one who is grateful. Please take care of our Sunggyu well.” The owner stood up and gave him a deep bow.

Woohyun stood up as well, feeling flustered by the gesture, and bowed as well. “I’ll do my best. Thank you for taking care of him for so long.”

The rest of the procedure didn’t take long. Toni showed him where to sign and Woohyun did it without much thinking. He stared at the papers when he was done. I did it. I bought him. I bought a hybrid. “Congratulations, Woohyun-ssi. We are done with the paperwork. Sunggyu is now part of your family.”

Two arms embraced him from the side and Woohyun smiled affectionately at the fox. He wrapped an arm around the other and his back. “Remember your promise – no more tears.”

The younger chuckled. “I’m yours now.”

Woohyun felt a pang inside his chest at those words. Mine. It sounds so strange. He’s mine. “Y-Yeah.”

“I’ll go make a copy for you, Woohyun-ssi.” Toni said, as he gathered the papers in his hands.

He nodded. “Okay. I’ll help Sunggyu with his boxes in the meanwhile. Let’s get your stuff into my car, little fox.”

Sunggyu was on his feet in the blink of an eye. Woohyun could see that all hints of fear and sadness had disappeared from his face. He seemed genuinely happy and more confident. Woohyun had signed the contract. He had kept his promise. The hybrid grabbed his hand and pulled him up impatiently. “Let’s go! Go, go!”

“I’m coming!” He laughed as the fox dragged him out of the office. It filled him with happiness to see Sunggyu so energetic.

His – old – room was really empty, except for the two boxes and a small bag. Everything Sunggyu owned was in that. It was a bit sad, since someone of his age should have way more stuff than that, but he had grown up in a shelter without much money after all. Woohyun had no doubt that most of his things were books and some clothes, but not much else. The older man would surely change that now. If Sunggyu wanted anything, he would buy it for him. Woohyun wanted to spoil his fox and give him all the happiness he deserved.

It didn’t take long to carry everything to his car. Actually, they were finished after one round. Woohyun hung the bag over his shoulder and carried a box, while Sunggyu took the lighter box. Everything fit inside his car easily and it turned out to be quite good that the hybrid didn’t have more belongings. What took them much longer was saying goodbye. While the kids had been cheerful and encouraging before, they were crying waterfalls when Sunggyu bid them farewell. Woohyun only watched from the distance as they clung to him desperately, as Sunggyu gave each and every single one a hug and a promise to stay in contact. It was moving to see how much the children of the shelter loved their hyung. He was their older brother, probably even a father to some. Woohyun knew it must be hard for them to let Sunggyu go.

Minzy appeared in front of him at some point, her eyes red and her nose running. “Handsome oppa, if you don’t take good care of Sunggyu-oppa, I will hunt you down!”

The most adorable threat ever. Woohyun crouched down and ruffled her hair. “I’ll make him the happiest person on Earth, okay? I promise, princess. Make sure to find a good family too. That will make Sunggyu happier than anything else.”

Minzy nodded, trying to keep her tears in. “Minzy-yah, come over here and give me a hug.”

She immediately turned away and ran over to Sunggyu on her little feet. Once in his arms, the dam broke and Minzy joined the chorus of crying children. Woohyun sighed and leaned back to watch the scene once more. He would take Sunggyu home with him today. Nothing wrong with waiting a few minutes.
 


In the end, they needed about three hours to leave. Saying goodbye had turned into eating lunch with everyone and then led to playing with the kids for a while. Woohyun loved the kids, but he was seriously happy when Sunggyu and he were finally seated in his car and ready to leave. It only needed one look to see that Sunggyu was now the one holding his tears back, when everyone from the shelter gathered in front of the building to wave at them.

“Do you need more time?” Woohyun asked softly.

Sunggyu lowered his gaze and shook his head. He patted the fox’s head.  “We can visit them again anytime.”

He got an eager nod in reply and Sunggyu looked up again to give him a smile. “Thank you, Woohyun. We can leave. I’m okay.”

The older man nodded and he waved one last time at the kids, before he started the engine and drove off. Since he was nervous about taking Sunggyu home, it took them quite a while to reach his apartment. Woohyun took a wrong turn twice, but of course he didn’t say it out loud. It was his luck that the fox didn’t know he was driving a huge detour. The drive was pretty much silent. Sunggyu seemed to be busy looking out of the window and taking the new surroundings in. Woohyun pointed some places out from time to time, but the hybrid already knew some sights from trips to the city. Toni had always taken him and the kids to the city once a month to buy stuff or simply to play around. Woohyun would make sure that Sunggyu saw more of Korea from now on, not only one city. There was so much to show him, so much to tell him about.

“We’re here.” Woohyun announced as the car entered the right street.

Sunggyu immediately livened up, sitting up straight to scan the area for his possible home. Woohyun wondered what he thought about the area. It was a good part of the town. Apartments cost a little more, but it was safe here and close to the city center. He stopped the car in front of the apartment block, where his home was located. “I live up there. On the 6th floor. There’s no elevator, so we will have to walk.”

The hybrid smiled brightly and his eyes turned into crescents. “I don’t mind.”

They got out of the car and as Woohyun got Sunggyu’s stuff out, he noticed the fox staring at the houses down the streets. Had he hoped that one of them would be Woohyun’s? “Are you disappointed?”

Sunggyu looked back to him with slightly widened eyes. “No! This is more than enough! Why would you need a house when you’re living alone?”

I’m not alone anymore, though. Maybe I will buy a house in a few years – for us. But for now they had to take it slow. Who knows what would happen in a few years? Maybe Sunggyu would get sick of him or not want to be something more than just brothers or friends. It would be weird if he blurted out ‘Maybe we could date’ after buying Sunggyu like a pet. He probably wants a family, but not in that way.

“Woohyun? Are we going?”

He blinked. Sunggyu already had a box in his hands and waited for him to move. “Sorry, yes. Let’s go!”

Woohyun picked up the bag and then the second box. It was good that he did some sports in his free time or the climb up the stairs would have been too much. The bag was okay, but the box with all of Sunggyu’s books weighted a ton. Never had he missed the elevator so much in this building. The hybrid was carrying the lighter box, but Woohyun noticed him falling behind after the fourth floor. Sunggyu looked a bit pale and he seemed to be trying not to pant from the exertion. It made the older man’s heart clench. The fragile fox was obviously not used to climbing so many steps with a heavy box in his arms.

He stopped on the 5th floor and waited for the hybrid to catch up. “Are you okay? We are almost there. You can put it down if it’s too heavy for you and I’ll get it in a minute.”

Sunggyu shook his head stubbornly and pushed past him. “I’m fine!”

Woohyun thought about running ahead and taking it from him nevertheless, but somehow he knew the hybrid would not accept his help. Sunggyu was determined to reach his new home by himself without Woohyun’s help. They climbed the rest of the stairs to the 6th floor and Woohyun put down the box to unlock his door. He grabbed Sunggyu’s box then and carried it inside. “Come on in. Leave the other box.”

He walked through the corridor and put the box down in the living room. He turned around to the fox, who was following after him with an expression of awe. “Welcome to your new home. It’s not much, but well, the view is great and it’s close to my work place.”

The hybrid walked to him and threw his arms around his neck. Woohyun caught him with a light laugh. He lifted the fox up in the spur of the moment and turned them in circles. His heart fluttered wildly, as he heard Sunggyu laugh happily. “It’s perfect. Thank you.”

They separated again and Woohyun left Sunggyu alone to explore the apartment. He got the second box with the hybrid’s books and closed the door after carrying it inside. Where were they going to put all the books? He needed a new shelf, definitely. He looked around in search of the fox. “Sunggyu-yah, where did you go?”

Sunggyu came rushing to him from the direction of the bathroom with an expectant look on his face. “Your apartment is so big! But where will I sleep?”

He rubbed the back of his neck. “I don’t have a guest room. I’ll let you have my bed for now and I will sleep on the sofa. We will find another solution soon, maybe another apartment with more rooms.”

“But your bed is big! We can sleep in it together!”

Woohyun cleared his throat, trying to chase away the pictures in his mind. It was an innocent proposal and not an invitation to have with him. “I-I’m fine with the sofa. Oh, right, before I forget it-“

He walked off to the bedroom and came back with a small package. “It’s for you. A moving in present so to say.”

Sunggyu’s ears twitched, showing his excitement, and he took the small wrapped object from Woohyun. “What’s that? Is it a book? It feels like one!”

The older man nodded. “Go on. Unwrap it!”

He had bought the book a while ago on an impulse, even before he was sure Sunggyu would go home with him. Woohyun had recognized the author’s name, the guy Sunggyu admired, in a bookshop and bought a book that the bookseller told him was his newest one. Now he was nervous as hell. Would the fox like it? Hopefully, he did not own the book already…

Woohyun carefully observed the hybrid, as he unwrapped the present. Sunggyu’s face showed deep concentration. For a second it looked like the fox was disappointed, but then his face lit up again. “You remembered I like him. Thank you, Woohyun! I don’t have anything for you, though…”

“That’s fine! You don’t have to give me anything!”

The fox puffed his cheeks, stomping with his foot on the floor. “It’s not fine! What’s your favorite food, Woohyun? I’ll cook it for you tonight!”

“My favorite…I don’t know…maybe Doenjang jjigae?” He didn’t even know if Sunggyu could cook that, but the hybrid nodded and headed off towards the kitchen.

The older man followed him and found Sunggyu rummaging through his refrigerator. Woohyun observed him quietly with an amused smile. He had the urge to step closer and touch the tail that was waving from left to right, as the fox scanned his fridge. “Why is there nothing inside? What do you eat every day? It’s almost empty! This one is already expired! Oh my god- is that…I think it’s alive!”

Woohyun felt his cheeks grow hot. He stepped closer and ripped the package from Sunggyu’s grasp. He threw it into the garbage can without checking the content. Apparently, he had forgotten to clean up his fridge of all places. “Takeout food, instant ramyun and stuff…I know it’s not healthy! Don’t give me that pitying look!”

The hybrid crossed his arms. “From now on you are going to eat proper food! I’ll make sure of that!”

It was cute how determined the fox was. Sunggyu was hell-bent on taking care of him from now on. It wasn’t bad to have someone so genuinely worry for your health and safety. “I get it. The kitchen is all yours from now on.”

“Yes! And we’re going to go grocery shopping right now!”

“Don’t you want to take a break? We just walked all the way up here and you were pretty exhausted. You should at least drink some water.”

“I’m fine!” Woohyun held him back, when the hybrid wanted to leave.

“No, you’re going to drink something first. I don’t want you to faint on me. Toni would rip my head off.” Sunggyu pouted, but Woohyun guided him to one of the stools at the side and made him sit down. He then got a glass of fresh water for the fox. “Drink!”

Sunggyu took it from him and did as told. They were going to look after each other from now on. It wasn’t a one-sided relationship where one side only used the other. Woohyun smiled at how fast the fox gulped down the water. So he was thirsty after all. Sunggyu held out the glass to him when he was done and Woohyun smiled. “One more?”

“Y-Yes.” He chuckled and got the fox another glass full of water. Woohyun ruffled his hair this time and enjoyed the little blush of embarrassment on Sunggyu’s cheeks.

“Better now?”

The hybrid gave him a nod and Woohyun put the empty glass on the counter. “Now we can go.”



Going shopping with Sunggyu was fun. He normally found it a hassle, so Woohyun never really spent much time grocery shopping. The fox was in his element, though. He shoved his cart through the supermarket like a wolf on the hunt, taking his time to look at several brands of one of the same product, weighing up which one was better. Woohyun felt relatively useless. He only followed the fox and made sure that he didn’t lose sight of him. He also kept an eye on the other people close to them. Some eyed Sunggyu with obvious surprise, some seemed shocked or even smitten. A young man even

Please log in to read the full chapter