---

A Place Beyond the Pines

 

 

“A chairman, Yunho, this is what you’re going to be.”

 

 

 

“Dad, no-no this is not what I want to be! I’m not going to whatever places you’ve assigned me to!” 

 

An ecru letter rested innocently in between the father and son; a letter of acceptance to the most prestigious university in the country.  It couldn’t do anything as the argument continued to resound throughout the residence. They have played their fingers and pointing towards each other, formality wasn’t at its place anymore as the shouting competition mentioned nothing than offensive words. That moment was the break point of Yunho, as the boy exploded into a wild piece of youth who began to shower cusses wherever his feet goes, especially towards his father. The argument never reaches its end, certainly once the heir of Jung Corp tore the letter and threw the bits into his father’s face.

 

That moment was also the time where Yunho couldn’t possibly forgive the man who he called father, as the fresh red, discolouring mark of a hand emblazoned his cheek with eyes started to water with tears.

 

 

 

He has had enough.

 

 

 

 


 

 

The techno beats drum the asphalt through the blasting speakers of the black Ferrari, and its headlights are faintly coursing against the ground as the vehicle roars in speed. Yunho seems to be enjoying the midnight panorama, along with the undying illuminations of the street lights as it renders the gigantic and tall buildings of places mirroring prosperous living souls. Although several women who seem to be relishing the nightlife have been approaching him for times, the male only needs solitude in the very moment. Call him ignorant, for his blasting music player also is vexing other drivers because of the convertible sport car.

It has been two hours for him sauntering a certain part of the city through the same road over and over again. The riotous driving has now become his habit, precisely when he isn’t in the right mood but above all, the mild night air helps him to shrink whatever words which were thrown from his parents to him hours ago. The remedy is temporary indeed, which also explains how late he would normally get home.

The first time Yunho let himself submit into the pit of rascality was the time when his parents were divorced. As how a teen lived with such unstable emotions staggering to mature, the separation truly messes his heart and remains until now. So far being the eldest son of Jung Corp doesn’t bring delightful memories as he is forced to fulfil whatever requests his father demand him. To whichever extent Yunho had attempted to escape from his father grasp, there are people who will always find him as if they monitor the city from every corner to every inch, where in the he will ended up being shoved and thrown into the car seat which only brings him to a place he will never again call home.

 

Yunho grown up to believe that he is being treated as an object rather than a son, nurtured within captivity and trained only to be the future key of the enterprise which he refuses to rule.

 

Yunho clearly had enough, and he is not going back, he will not get home even he is now indeed blindly driving and directionless. Maybe he will venture out from the city, who knows, he too wants to know how far his father’s men will follow and capture him like hunters.

 

Faint vibration of his phone from the next seat notifies the male, rendering bright displays of Changmin’s name on the screen. Above all of his hatred for the family, there is a little brother whom he treasures the most despite of the wide which stands in between them. Naïve and young Changmin is, that Yunho needs to tell him so many things from the outside world because of the ridiculous limitation for the youngest to explore beyond the house. The moment might not be comfortable for Yunho to share conversation, that the call has been continuing for five times and Yunho refuses to pick up.

 

The male swiftly speeds up as he swerves to the nearest bypass instead.

 

Hours of driving had passed. Rows of tall buildings have shifted into an endless line of trees with sparse road lights which are glaring its dim illumination. The grand lights of the city faded into a landscape stretching far beyond his eyesight. No cars are passing, not even a pair of headlights from afar. All Yunho could see is the ridiculously long road which displays unending path without end. His music which has been playing and repeated for times finally was forced shut by his finger, as if he is too sick to listen to the same noise over and over again. The stinging quietness around him intensifies his sleepiness, the mild wind which grazes his skin and caress his hair is pulling the male into somnolence. Yunho rests his elbow as he massages his nose bridge, leaving only one hand to steer the wheel lazily.

 

Another signpost passed over him, and Yunho still keep driving further now that he is too tired to stay awake to read the direction board. The car gradually decelerate, in which Yunho suddenly hit the halt pedal as he recognise two figures of mammal passing steps away before him. His head bumped against the back rest, causing him to hiss during his jolt.

 

“,” he brushes his nape and blinked twice. The hammering collision brought Yunho to his wake. There he heard a loud moo from one of the cows, surprising him once more as he eyed the creatures in confusion.

 

“Where the am I?” He promptly turns back only to see the same long road he had ventured, and then turn again towards the walking animal. What he notices is how the sky has changed its colour from mere black to fresh orange and purple; just like dawn.

 

Yunho groans noticing how long he’s been driving. His entire body is starting to ache altogether with unstoppable yawning. The male experiences the most undeniable thirst he has ever taste, and he sloppily reach and seek for any liquid from the back seat. He caught a glass bottle filled with no less than half of alcohol. He quaffs the liquor as he then begins to accelerate again, but just in another minute, his car unbelievably chocking to stop until it completely baulks the gas pedal.

 

Yunho frustratingly growl as he glanced at the fuel alert.

 

“Dumb !” he hit the steering wheel, “!” his desperate mind caused him to rush out from the car and banged the door closed. He swallowed the rest of the liquor as he rests against the vehicle, already is out of drink even more. Yunho yells out loud as he threw the glass bottle into the pasture, in which the object emitting no sound of a single crash because of the tender and thick grass.

 

Yunho kicks the tire for times as he curses along the way only to make himself out of breath.  He slowly turns around seeking for any presence of human but failed. He took off his blazer and cast it off onto the seat and started to roam around as he is expecting for someone to pass by.

 

His orbs then rest again on the same mammals he almost hit. The clueless look of the cows irks Yunho even more, as they have been staring at him for minutes after his car broke down.

 

“What’re you lookin’ at?! Go eat your filthy grass and mind your own business, you four-legged-polkadot !”

 

Yunho never felt so foolish in his entire life, not until he had just managed to talk (yelled) to a cow. The said mammals are now munching their food, still fathoming what the human is doing. Yunho just couldn’t believe that he is stranded in one of hundreds road of the foreign land. He is too sleepy and too tired to walk even more, too hungry and thirsty to keep his eyes wide open.

 

The half-conscious body drag itself to lean and settle down against the cold metal skin of the car, and there the male begins to drift away to his sleep, staying still on the asphalt like a dead body as exhaustion gradually lift him to dreamland.

 

 


 

 

Wet.

 

 

Warm.

 

 

Feels like flesh.

 

 

What is this?

 

Yunho had never been so surprised in his life, that he jolts himself away and bumps his head onto the hard surface recognising a dog is apparently his face. The pet is so focused that its tail is wagging with excitement together with its beguiling eyes. It yelped once which promptly jerks the human. Yunho gags for oxygen and his arms wiggle in the air as his attempt to grab the canine, which amazingly has soft, long strands...

 

“He’s awake, Jiji! Get off him, come on!” a stranger came to laugh. Rays of light finally brighten Yunho’s vision, and the stranded male rises to his full consciousness to be basked with a delicate figure of a youth, bending his back to watch Yunho blinking underneath. He actually took his time to gain more information of the stranger’s appearance, and not because Yunho barely seen pretty women in his life that he is now somewhat awestruck by the sight, it is since the male over him is indeed a beauty.

 

“You lost, stranger?”

 

The voice sounded fresh, like a breeze so light drumming in Yunho’s ear. It’s pleasing and modest to his hearing. Ebony hair which partly hides his eyes sends a womanly vibe whenever the stranger twinkle his eyes.

 

“I suppose your car is out of fuel,” the other perceived the sign blinking a signal of a running out tank, “Lucky you, you’re still in a full piece. Thieves are manoeuvring all over the place these days,” he keep his eyes towards the fantastic sport car and stuffs which only wealthy men could possess. His curious mind also ghosts the stick he owns (which Yunho assume to be broken from one of thousands of trees around him) to measure the exotic curves of the overly-priced vehicle.

 

A distinctive, country male Yunho thought; wholly grown up with the knowledge of expanding fields of corps and guiding sheep. The ordinary attire of plain white covered with dust and a dog –as a guardian– by his side also suggest so much innocence to him. The doe pair of eyes which comply with brief interest wherever it glances also depict the other’s curiosity.

 

Yunho gurgles to rise, his body feels so stiff and sore, and he hates it and just wishes for a bed to magically appear before him. He pops his neck and arms only to recognise the stranger’s surprising built which doesn’t really convey huge difference with his height. But still, Yunho is taller, overpowering the slender figure standing in front of him.

 

They exchanges gaze of uncertainty for seconds, not only because of the awkward encounter which Yunho has experienced. To be found stranded and so fully embarrassed with a dog savouring his face already put him down to shame yet also rocketing the pride he has left with.

 

“What?,” the shorter male snorted, “Too sniffy to ask for help?” As how he is used to help lost people along the road, this one is just and merely a typical rich-brat-face of dignity. He shouldn’t waste his time to offer him aid and just let punks around the area to strip off his belongings.

 

Slightly annoyed with the not-so welcoming attitude, Yunho diverts to see a parked truck, old and almost blanketed with corrosion. So this one also drives?

 

“Can I just have some spare of your fuel or…whatever you’ve got to run your thing?” Yunho clearly indicates the rusty vehicle ahead them.

 

“That’s called a farm truck, Your Majesty,” as how the stranger loves to tease the wealthy male, he couldn’t deny the handsome feature that the other possesses. But what irks and reverences him to silently step some distance away is how the wealthy male vexed his tight muscle to cross on his chest, which exposing arms that almost filled with unfriendly tattoo beneath his long sleeves. Whoa, those are just too much.

 

“. . .I too is short in fuel. Stock’s running out since weeks ago and I’m going to town tomorrow. My farm isn’t far from here, I can give you a room for the night and that’s. . . if you would like to wait for some supply.”

 

“I can’t leave my car out here.”

 

“I’ll let my truck pull her along.”

 

“How strong is your truck?”

 

“. . .’s been running for decades, though. Lifting tons of wheats and couple of cows,” the shorter male surveyed his vehicle once more, “Should be fine,” the farmer already effaced his cocky, defiance attitude once he learn who is the big guy here. His forced smile was put to shut, and maybe he should obey this man onwards if he wishes to keep parts of his body complete. Well at least he doesn’t demand an apology about Jiji his grandeur and precious visage.

 


 

 

. . .So,

 

Apparently the farmer is now afraid to speak even a word. The three-seated truck has been averagely speeding with its typical creak of an old species. Jiji doesn’t care though, he enjoys the wind splashing his face and is sticking out his tongue so long as if he is in the most relaxing place in the world. The canine is a Border Collie, lavished with the gradient of white, brown to black; doesn’t even look dominating like the Dobermans in his residence, Yunho recalled.

 

“How old is it?”

 

The farmer his breath as he almost jerk on his seat. He glances at his dog alternately to the intimidating man beside him. Dammit, Jiji. You need to stop being so friendly! He’s a dangerous human!

 

“. . .he-he’s turned four this year,” the farmer answered anyway.

 

“Fine enough to guard the farm,” Yunho casually places his hand on the pet’s head, where he receives a positive reaction of a clingy, welcoming behaviour. He smirks knowing that the dog actually likes him.

 

Oh my God he touched him! Jiji get away from hi—

 

“What’s your name?”

 

AH-What?!,” the truck abruptly swerved both to their surprise, before then balancing again once the farmer boy regain his poor, shocked heart.

 

“Jesus Christ what’s up with you?,” Yunho brought up his most calm tone of voice, despite the soul-breaking moment which just happened. He took a glimpse at his sport car behind, emitting a relieved sigh knowing that the vehicle is all fine.

 

“I’m sorry,” the other grasps the steering wheel harder, “Won’t happen again.”

 

Yunho slowly look at the pretty male, studying how anxious he is regardless of the overly self-assured introduction back there.

 

“So. . .name?”

 

Th-The dog or me?”

 

Yunho rubbed his temple, as a mind face-palm which felt too unsatisfying aroused another sigh from his mouth, yet seconds after, he somehow thought the reaction was simply. . .cute.

 

“Fine. Both of you,” he added.

 

“. . .uh. . .This guy here is Jiji..”

 

“What kind of name is that?!”

 

The burst of laughter plainly made the farmer to flush. The other simply turns into an ant, so timid that he assumes the man is making fun of him. Oh, how he regrets helping this stranded man from the road. Now he doesn’t even want to tell his name.

 

“But sounds good anyway, this guy seems to enjoy his name,” the dog yips as Yunho plays with his snout, signalling a rather playful side of the pet, “What about you?,” he tickles Jiji to yelp.

 

 

“. . .I-uh. . .My name is Jaejoong..”

 

 

“Oh,” Although secretly, a little smile was what replied the other, and Yunho once again take a look at the farmer boy driving so serious with eyes focused to the road.

 

 

 

Sure.

 

 

 

A pretty name for a pretty face. 

 


 

Wohoo thanks for subscribing! I hope you like this chapter!

+ english isn't my first language. sorry if there's any mistake! 

This is how I want you to imagine JJ. Until the next chapter, guys!