Final.

Take my soul (and my heart as well)

There was a crack on the road, a simple imperfection that reminded people of the sheer impossibility of achieving all their goals and being eternally happy. Life was just another imperfection - a large one at that. No one could deny that life was anything but perfect. It existed for the purpose of challenge, a choice between glory and misery.

 

Day after day, millions and millions of feet stepped on that crack, not even noticing its existence or just ignoring its presence. Day after day, the crack became deeper and deeper until it wasn’t just a simple crack that could trip people, but a crack that could cause something more.

 

It was amusing how the littlest of things caused a car crash a few days later. And it was a lot more amusing to witness how that sole mistake of the workers caused a pile-up of unsuspecting cars and trucks which were innocently heading towards their own destinations, their own lives.

 

It might not be funny for regular people, for those who were involved in the accident, and for those who lost their loved ones because of it. But, to him, everything was funny. Everything was amusing. Because those amusing things make up for who he was, for what he existed for. In the universe, everything had a purpose of existing, and his was for this, to see to it that death was properly executed at the right place and at the right time. No matter how impossible it was, Death could make it happen.

 

He was often portrayed differently in many novels, authors digging through researches and assumptions of the forms he took from the past to the present. Many actors tried to fill in his shadow, to give him a face of sorts in movies, particularly dramas involving horrific tragedies or magic. They tried really hard to fit the right pieces together, but they still failed to get the real essence of death and how he truly revealed himself to those who were close to their ends.

 

Once, Death had to standby in a dance party in San Diego. He enjoyed watching the birthday celebrant dance like she never did before, performing frightening twirls and dips with several male partners. Her name was Valerie. He thought it was a beautiful name for someone as attractive as she was.

 

He lingered in the sidelines, picking at his dress shirt and adjusting his black coat every now and then, and attempting to check his appearance using a wine glass from a nearby table. All was well and happy throughout the party, but that happiness had to come to an end eventually. With practiced ease, he strode through the crowd like a shadow and finally snatched Valerie’s life away from her, hand gripping her own as he pulled her to his side and watched her mortal body fall lifeless on the floor.

 

The real Valerie was staring at the picturesque view blankly, tilting her head as if she couldn’t understand everything that she was witnessing. “What’s happened to me?” she asked rather hollowly, eyes trained on her mother who was cradling her upper body and crying desperately.

 

“It was your time.” Death said simply, gesturing to her former body. “I was just doing my job, like I always do.”

 

Valerie gave no response in return. Instead, her soul walked away from the scene, invisible tears staining her ghostly cheeks like red paint on a red canvas. “I see.” Death barely heard her reply, too busy guiding her towards a door of empty space hovering in midair. “I guess I won’t have a second chance after this.”

 

“You won’t. There is no second chance in death.” He responded emotionlessly, letting the girl glance at her coming of age party one last time before disappearing into the void.

 

The door dissolved as fast as it appeared, leaving behind nothing but the mournful faces of Valerie’s family and the shocked expressions of guests and friends alike. This happened every day, and Death was pretty much used to this kind of routine throughout his life – if this was considered ‘life’.

 

After the autopsy and the medical records were revealed, Valerie died of a heart attack. It was so sudden that it was too late to get her to the hospital. All was said and done when death pulled her to his side and spoke those words to her soul. The never ending routine of taking and guiding flowed through Death’s mind like lucid dreams. He was considered the gatekeeper of the netherworld, the one who had a great responsibility on his shoulders.

 

Even unconsciously, Death could manifest in several places for several times. One part of him would observe a person crossing the street despite the green flashing wearily from the traffic lights and another part would sit beside a dying old woman who had a look of contentment on her face. Death saw different types of passing every day, making him wonder if he was the one causing them or if the fates chose to waste away his very existence through continues glimpses of dying mortals.

 

Truthfully, he was already numb. He could no longer feel the sadness after seeing someone dying before his eyes. The remaining emotions stored in his reservoir were nearly dried up from lack of use and ignorance. Death only wanted to fulfill his duties for all time, but there were instances when he’d suddenly feel so empty… like there was something missing ever since. A frown marred his features whenever he encountered it, too puzzled to understand why he, of all creatures, was still vulnerable to this kind of condition.

 

While people were busily minding their own business at night, Death strolled through houses, observing their actions and burning them into his mind. No one could see him besides the dead, so he was free to do whatever he wanted especially when he had a desire to think. It didn’t always occur, but Death worried about simple things while walking through walls and eyeing heated couples on the bed. His own pools of black orbs remained dull all the time, unaffected by the surge of lust from humans and how they react to each other when they were ‘in love’.

 

Love.

 

Death had no idea what being in love means, what love feels like.

 

One day, during his usual excursions around the city, his main body - the one that holds most of his essence - got pulled forward by something big, something exciting. From afar, he barely made out a small ship sinking into the depths of the ocean, dragging all the spirits and the bodies of those on board. In an instant, Death was standing on the prow of the ship, watching men and women get under the momentum of the sinking ship. He felt a small grin light up his face. It was unusually happy compared to the look in his dead eyes.

 

However, their staleness disappeared as his gaze landed on a man falling into the ocean from the side of the ship. Instincts kicked in immediately, Death walking towards the victim and submerging himself into the water. He followed the dazed mortal on his journey to the bottom, body resuming its constant pace of sinking.

 

Thoughts were fighting in his head as he sunk next to the struggling man, surprised that the mortal was looking right into his eyes and not right through him. He is close to his end, Death thought to himself, hand outstretched to be connected to his next collection. However, there was a new surge of heartbeat, the willingness to live, suddenly pulsing at the tip of Death’s fingertips. He withdrew his hand as fast as he could, mesmerized by the mix of wonder and fear in the man’s eyes. Why are you here? They seem to ask him quietly.

 

Death watched him sink deeper and deeper until someone else, a diver, streaked past him and started kicking towards the surface with the poor mortal. Sighing, Death followed reluctantly, knowing that victory was in his hands and another life was going to the other dimension. But to his surprise, the tight strings connecting him to the man’s soul were loosening, forcibly making him let go and distance himself from the scene.

 

This was impossible. He already had the lock, yet life still bloomed from the stranger’s body. Death couldn’t understand what happened. This man’s death was meant to happen, so why was everything going the other way around?

 

Just as he was about to disappear, Death’s gaze was pulled yet again to the man’s, eyes growing wider.

 

“Why have you come?” the man asked groggily, coughing up too much sea water. Beside him, the diver looked back to the spot he was staring at and found nothing but empty space. A chill settled at the back of his neck.

 

Death shook his head, turning away and disappearing. He had a hollow place in his chest, but it’s as if he could feel a heart beating erratically. Shivers wracked his body as he returned to the other dimension with his head hung low. He had to forget about the man. Mortals were only instruments of distraction for creatures like him.

 

 

 

“You’re always moody, but today is the worst.” Cupid spoke the next day, eyeing Death suspiciously. “Did something weird happen?”

 

They were standing on the top of a skyscraper in the city, both unbothered by the inevitable fall they could experience.

 

“I’m not moody, Sehun. Stop bothering me.” Death grumbled, staring at the impatient pace of vehicles on the streets.

 

Cupid, dressed in his usual white robes, raised an eyebrow. His silvery blond hair whipped in the wind. “You rarely address me with my real name, JongIn. What’s the dig? Don’t tell me one of your self-produced clones messed up again.”

 

Frowning, JongIn turned to the other. “A mortal saw me, okay? He was supposed to die, but he still lived… and he even talked to me!”

 

“How sad.” Sehun mocked, fiddling with JongIn’s forever black tie and pulling on it idly. He could never understand why JongIn – Death – preferred to dress like a corpse getting ready to be buried. Well, he did go to funerals constantly so it made sense. “I don’t understand why you’re so agitated by this. Other mortals see me many times.”

 

“That’s different!” JongIn growled, slapping Sehun’s hands away from his tie. “You are meant to be seen. I’m not supposed to be spotted by living mortals!”

 

Still, Sehun ignored his words and clutched his hand, leaping off the building and landing on the asphalt with ease. Nobody batted an eyelash because no one noticed their presence. “Look, why don’t you just forget about that man and continue with your boring duties? Nothing will be solved if you continue to mope like a mortal teenager.” Sehun threaded his fingers through his unruly hair. “By the way, I’ve lost a couple of my love arrows earlier and it’s all thanks to some mortal named Yifan. Damn, he was so numb that it took three of my arrows to make him look at his secretary! I thought I would fail.”

 

“Spare me of your escapades. I’m not interested in love.” JongIn waved him away, walking towards an approaching woman and touching her soul just as a bus came rushing forward and hit her body. Sehun sighed behind him.

 

“You know, I’m really creeped out by your job. You pull spirits out of bodies and watch the whole ‘dying scene’. It’s just sad.”

 

“What can I do? It’s my responsibility for all time. On top of that, Junmyeon will kill me if I slack off. Unlike your boss, Luhan, Junmyeon takes these things very seriously.” JongIn scowled at the thought of his boss – Hades or Pluto or whatever other people call him. For JongIn, he just called him Junmyeon, his proper name.

 

Sehun scoffed. “You can’t die. Luhan just likes me too much to punish me. My charms are irresistible.”

 

“Don’t test Junmyeon’s patience.” JongIn warned, sending the woman’s soul into the void. “What charms? You’re not charming, Sehun. Now stop lazing around and go back to hitting people’s backsides with your arrows.”

 

“I’m gonna test them on you soon.” Sehun promised, disappearing in a swirl of feathers and disgusting hearts. Why did he always do that?

 

On the other hand, JongIn sighed wearily, trudging to his next mission, to the next thousand he was about to collect. Death’s life could really be boring, but that didn’t mean he was sad.

 

He was happy, wasn’t he?

 

JongIn started to question himself over and over again.

 

 

 

The scenery changed on the last day of the week, seven whole days from when JongIn saw that mortal man looking straight at him. Loud, sunny days in the city were replaced by gloomy rain wetting exposed civilians who forgot their umbrellas and pretty much every uncovered surface. JongIn had a big, black umbrella resting on his right shoulder, eyes trained on a pair of lovers kissing in the rain. They were both wet, but the cold didn’t seem to bother them.

 

He was at the outskirts of the city where the streets weren’t so clogged up and only a few people ventured out of their homes to go to work. Almost everyone preferred to stay indoors most of the time and JongIn could understand why they’d think like that.

 

As the skies opened up and released her wrath, JongIn continued to observe the couple, wondering how a pair of lips felt against his own. He raised a hand to his lips, feeling their coarseness. Sehun recommended him a particular brand of lip balm earlier, but JongIn waved away the naughty immortal as usual. Still, he couldn’t stop himself from wondering. Imagining. Wanting. Needing.

 

JongIn never felt this way before because Death wasn’t supposed to feel anything at all. He was supposed to feel numb and indifferent out of all the immortals, yet he was falling into the same trap. He’d heard gossips about Junmyeon and Yixing – Apollo – escaping into the darkness a few nights ago and he couldn’t find a valid reason for their actions. They were immortals who were required to discipline each other, but all JongIn could see were planned elopes and giggly men running around like children. He tried to understand them – really.

 

Shaking his head a little, JongIn approached the couple and took a hold of the man, pulling him to his side as a trio of gun wielders, robbers, approached the couple. One of them shot the guy straight in his chest, his mortal body slumping against his lover as the trio seized her by the wrist and dragged her into a dark alley. JongIn turned away from the scene in disgust.

 

He’d witnessed a few of them throughout the years, but JongIn never got used to this. Instead, he chose to glance at the soul beside him and led him to the void just as screams and begging echoed from the alley. JongIn hated to be in situations like this.

 

After quite a while, two hours or so, JongIn led the girl’s soul, looking at her mangled body with pity. At least she would forget it when she reached the court.

 

The day went on and on, versions of him guiding souls to the netherworld, where they would be judged according to the good and bad deeds done in their lives. Once in a while, he’d watch trials in the halls of judgment, and they’re almost the same in composition. The only differences were the participants and the length of the trials.

 

Almost half of the souls went to the limbo while a sixteenth achieved eternal happiness. As for the remaining portion, they went straight to the torture realm, a place JongIn wouldn’t dare to visit.

 

 

 

Eventually, despite his efforts of hiding himself, Death came face to face with his fear, the one who caused him too much confusion in a single day. He was in the heart of the city, watching workers walk to work, students rush to school and parents chatting aimlessly in parks. Everything was absurdly normal that day, but his concentration was disrupted by a familiar face, one that JongIn observed as they were sinking to the depths of the ocean.

 

It’s him.

 

Death trailed him carefully, scrutinizing the man from head to toe. He didn’t look much different from other people, but his mere presence provoked JongIn’s curiosity. Why was this particular mortal affecting him so much?

 

“Excuse me. Can I help you with anything?” JongIn stumbled, falling on his unattractively. Above him stared the man, wide eyes calculating. “Why are you following me?”

 

“I… I was just curious.” JongIn admitted, carefully standing on his feet once more. “Do you still remember me?”

 

“Yes, I do.” The man shrugged, looking more comfortable than JongIn felt at that moment. “I never expected death to be this handsome.” He mumbled grudgingly, staring at the man in black standing in front of him.

 

Death…

 

Why did he have to meet him for the second time?

 

“Wait – “ JongIn held his hand up, frowning. “You know me?

 

Nodding, the other gestured to his body with a hint of mocking. “I know a lot of things compared to you. But please stop what you’re doing and leave me alone.”

 

“How can you see me when you’re so… alive?”

 

The man shook his head, adjusting his bag. JongIn thought he caught a flash of red in his eyes. “I don’t owe you anything, Death. You tried to collect my soul and you failed. That’s how life works sometimes. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have other important things to attend to.”

 

Before the man could turn away, JongIn grabbed his wrist, struggling to contain the look of surprise on his own face. Dead or alive, Death couldn’t touch a mortal’s bare skin. “At least tell me your name.”

 

With a sigh, the mortal shook JongIn’s hand off and said, “It’s Kyungsoo. Do Kyungsoo.” Then he promptly walked away, leaving a puzzled immortal behind him.

 

“He is different.” Cupid appeared, slinging an arm around Death’s sagged shoulders. “I’ve never met a mortal like that.”

 

“Maybe there are some things in this world that lack explanation.”

 

Sehun led JongIn away from the crowds, entering an empty playground near a bunch of townhouses. “Ask Junmyeon about him.” He offered, sitting on a swing. “He seems to be knowledgeable with these kinds of instances.”

 

“I’ll do that… after I talk to Kyungsoo.” JongIn replied firmly, keeping his mind locked on the mortal. “I have to know more before this day comes to an end.”

 

“That’s your choice.” Cupid shrugged, moving the swing higher and higher into the air. “But be careful. He might be dangerous…”

 

 

 

Death’s firmness during his talk with Sehun didn’t last the whole day. Unfortunately, he’d lost track of Kyungsoo four hours after they’d met. Now he was looking for him manually, using a couple of his forms to trail the mortal.

 

Before sundown – a very bad time for immortals – JongIn found him sitting on a bench in front of a café. Kyungsoo seemed to be waiting for him and JongIn wasn’t sure if he was happy about it.

 

“You’re late.” Were Kyungsoo’s first words as Death sat in front of him. “You shouldn’t have put that lock on me.”

 

“I wanted to talk to you again.” JongIn explained, noticing how the other customers stared at Kyungsoo in particular. “Why can you see me and why aren’t you affected by my presence?”

 

“Because I’m not a normal mortal, okay?” Kyungsoo’s gaze were smoldering and he could definitely see the red tint in his pupils. “Go talk to your boss instead. I’m sure he will give you an explanation for this…. If he is in a good mood.”

 

Like their encounter earlier, Kyungsoo left him alone, blending into the crowd as easily as a chameleon would do.

 

Asking his boss was easier said than done. Junmyeon wasn’t the friendliest of the immortals and he wasn’t fond of JongIn from the start. Death couldn’t fathom why his boss looked at him that way, but it was enough of a scare to keep him in a distance. Ignoring Sehun’s advice, JongIn continued to seek answers himself, trying to grab on to Kyungsoo every day if he managed.

 

It was a challenge to find the mortal and his presence was the one that affected JongIn the most. Starting from their first meeting in the ocean, Death knew something was special with Kyungsoo. He could see something in his eyes that held years and years of suppressed knowledge like the older immortals. At times, JongIn thought Kyungsoo was an immortal himself, but the idea was washed away like bits of sand too close to the waves hitting the shore.

 

However, his determination did give him bits of information about the man. They talked about other topics most of the time, skirting around JongIn’s insistent questions and anything that threw Kyungsoo off balance. More often than not, Kyungsoo was the one to leave him for a chore, a homework or for a party with his mortal friends.

 

His departure never ceased to make JongIn’s chest ache for some reason. There wasn’t a heart in his body, so why did everything caused him to catch his breath and want more and more of the other man? Was it just his curiosity or was he like the other immortals who succumbed to their weakness?

 

“You’re like a naughty kid.” Sehun used to say after spotting Kyungsoo’s retreating figure. His bow and arrow was clutched in his hand. “It bothers me that you trust him more than you trust us.” Cupid sounded upset, sinking on the chair opposite JongIn’s.

 

“He’s unique from the other mortals I’ve been watching.” JongIn tried to explain himself. However, his gaze continued to follow Kyungsoo’s figure in the crowd. The more they meet up, the easier it was to keep an eye on the mortal. “And I don’t think Junmyeon would be happy if I pry in other people’s business.”

 

“He won’t eat you.” Sehun promised. “I’ve seen him earlier and Junmyeon’s in a better mood than the previous days. You just have to say the right words in front of him.”

 

Stubbornly, JongIn shook his head. “I can’t. This job of mine takes people’s lives, but it never gives something in return.”

 

 

Hours turned to days, days turned to weeks, and weeks became months.

 

Fifty six days passed after JongIn and Kyungsoo met, yet it felt like they’ve been talking to each other for more than a year. Time didn’t usually matter for JongIn, but he found himself paying attention to the ticking of the clock and the number of footsteps he made in a day. The droplets of rain hitting the window sill was music to his ears and the constant tapping of his fingers added to his anxiety.

 

His doubts for his lack of feeling, his lack of heart were being washed away every day, replaced by determination flashing in his once-dull eyes. Even Sehun seemed to noticed the change in Death’s demeanor, but he made no comment about such progress. He’d always wanted his friend to know what living means and what happiness can do to an immortal, not just to an ordinary human.

 

Sehun had given up trying to cheer JongIn for a long time and he was happy for what Kyungsoo had accomplished for such a short span of time. Nevertheless, he still kept an eye on them, staying in the shadows while doing his job every day.

 

Once, when he and JongIn talked about the concept of love, Sehun was surprised of the aura JongIn was exuding. The other immortal might not understand it, but Sehun’s instincts told him that Death was becoming another version of himself.

 

The talk with Junmyeon came up sometimes and Kyungsoo was the one pushing JongIn to do it for both their sakes. The red tint in Kyungsoo’s eyes were more prominent because he and Death finally understood each other, but he was holding back, knowing that the truth of this situation would only hurt JongIn deeply.

 

Despite the blatant disregard for Kyungsoo and Sehun’s advices, Junmyeon was the one who spoke up first. It was the seventieth day after the pair’s encounter and he thought it was time to break up that little party before things got out of hand.

 

 

 

“Do you know what you’re doing, JongIn?” Junmyeon sat on his throne of bones, almost glaring at Death like a disobedient puppy. “I’ve been observing you for a long time, yet you refused to consult me first.”

 

“What’s the point?” JongIn asked back, intimidate by how his boss looked at him. “Kyungsoo is just another mortal, one that could understand me.”

 

Junmyeon stilled and said sharply, “Do Kyungsoo is not just a mortal, JongIn. Right now, he is a mortal, but he wasn’t like that before.”

 

“Then what was he?”

 

Rubbing his temples, Junmyeon sighed, waving his hand to show an image through the mist in the throne room. JongIn saw a familiar scenes – people’s souls getting pulled out of their bodies, immortals acting like kids… But something was different. Instead of seeing himself in his black coat and tie, he saw Kyungsoo opening doorways and doing his responsibilities in the mortal world.

 

JongIn stood there, gaping at the truth unfolding in front of his eyes. “But I don’t understand – why is he in my place? When did this happen?”

 

“Before you were assigned as my gatekeeper, JongIn. Believe me when I tell you that immortals exist forever, and they could do a lot of great things with their power… and we did replace Kyungsoo because he wanted one thin.” Junmyeon paused, staring at the scene with a hint of nostalgia. “He wanted to be human… he wanted a heart.”

 

“What?”

 

“Yes, you are doing your job for a long time, but we made it look like you were doing it ever since the immortals walked the earth. JongIn, you are Kyungsoo’s replacement… that’s why you can’t collect his soul. That was part of the bargain he had with all of us.” His boss sounded sad as he narrated, slumping in his seat like a child. “Whatever you have with Kyungsoo will eventually end. Immortals can’t stay with mortals. No matter how great you feel for him, you have to leave him eventually.”

 

 

 

Sehun learned about their talk a day later. He did his best to console JongIn, but Death was already in his own safety bubble. Him being Cupid was not enough to convince his friend that everything will be alright in the end. So he chose to give him some space for now, keeping his distance until JongIn was ready to accept the inevitable.

 

“You’re upset.” It wasn’t a question. JongIn looked up at Kyungsoo, wishing he could stare at his face forever. “What happened?” he seemed to know, but he still asked.

 

“I talked to Junmyeon.” JongIn replied hollowly, sighing as his hand touched Kyungsoo’s under the table.

 

The mortal sighed, withdrawing his hand and resting it on JongIn’s cheek, the unblemished skin. “So you know who I am… I’m sorry for not telling you. It’s hard to confess something that I buried for a long time.”

 

“But that’s not what I’m worried about.” JongIn said mournfully, covering Kyungsoo’s hand with his own and leaning into the touch. “I’m thinking about us… all this. It means something, right?”

 

Kyungsoo turned away, returning his hand on his lap. “I want to hope that you felt something from this and I’m starting to realize that I like your company, but we can’t be with each other… not like this.”

 

“That’s it?” Death bit his lip, staring at the table blankly. He could still feel the lingering warmth of Kyungsoo’s hand on his cheek. “After all that we shared?”

 

“There is no us, JongIn. There was never an us and it’s better that way. I can’t put my heart on the line again.” He gathered his things, looking at the immortal wistfully. “If only you weren’t restricted, we would’ve been able to start something more. I think it’s best if we keep our distance. I have nothing to give you in return because it’s all been taken away from me a long time ago.” Kyungsoo stood up, hesitantly leaning in to press a kiss on JongIn’s forehead. “Goodbye.”

 

Like the second time they’d met, Kyungsoo disappeared in the hustle of the city, leaving JongIn sitting dully on his chair. The kiss was seared in his mind and maybe what he wanted wouldn’t be given by the kind of life he was living right now.

 

Sehun was observing him from across the street, but Cupid did not make a move to comfort his friend. This was JongIn’s decision and he shouldn’t pry. However, he had a feeling where this was all going to end up in. He’d seen it before and maybe… he’d witness it again.

 

 

 

More than a few weeks passed before Death finally came to his senses. He’d traveled all over the world to accomplish his job for the sake of forgetting about that mortal, but all his efforts were put to waste. Kyungsoo was permanently stuck in his thoughts. He never left, especially when JongIn closed his eyes. His smile and his wide eyes flashed at the back of his mind constantly.

 

And from there, JongIn gathered all his courage and approached Junmyeon once more.

 

The older immortal was waiting for him in the throne room, holding a looking glass in one hand and clutching his throne with the other. His expression said it all.

 

“Junmyeon… I want to make a request.” JongIn knelt before him, placing his hand on his heart.

 

“Yes. You want to be human.” Junmyeon plucked the words out of his mind. “I could grant you that privilege, but there are consequences.”

 

Nodding, JongIn took off the ring on his finger, handing it to his boss carefully. “I’ll accept all of these consequences, good or bad. Just please…”

 

Junmyeon gave him a tired smile, playing with the ring in his hand. This was the second time he would experience losing his assistant and he felt rather jealous that they had a reason for giving up everything in their lives. “Farewell, JongIn. I’m glad I met you in this life.”

 

The next thing he knew, searing pain wracked his body, heat pulsing in his nerves until he out from the unbearable sensations assaulting him. But despite the pain he was experiencing, JongIn smiled through it all.

 

 

 

JongIn would be lying if he said that life was perfect. He spent eight hours of his day working in front of the computer and the other sixteen hours for recreation and sleep. He was perpetually tired from all the aspects of his routine, but the promise of wealth and comfort kept him going. If none of those factors existed, JongIn would willingly become a bum in the outskirts of the city. At least, he had all the time in the world.

 

His love life was also pitiful and his parents never cared for him ever since he turned eighteen. To summarize it all, his life was . Like most days, his morning started with a cup of coffee, followed by an ice cold bath. JongIn was shivering as he ran for his suit and tie because he forgot his towel again.

 

Then, his journey to his office started. A day of stress was about to overwhelm him again.

 

On the other hand, Cupid was keeping an eye on him ever since he became a mortal. He stood on the top floor of the building opposite JongIn’s workplace and he was trying to ignore his impatience. Word got out that JongIn ‘resigned’ from his position and Junmyeon told him the consequences this request had. Honestly, Sehun pitied JongIn for it, but he couldn’t do anything but watch him daily. The former mortal did become his closest friend despite his gloomy attitude as ‘Death’.

 

Kyungsoo was still Kyungsoo and Cupid knew he was looking for JongIn despite their parting. He and JongIn were office mates, much to Sehun’s amusement, but JongIn was oblivious of Kyungsoo’s presence. The man didn’t have a single memory about him. It was a pity and Sehun grinned as he readied his plan.

 

Once JongIn emerged from the elevator, one of Sehun’s arrows hit its mark. He didn’t need to look back because his mission was fulfilled. Cupid just hoped Kyungsoo finds JongIn as soon as he could. That was the one and only present he could give the former immortal.

 


A/N: so yeah I finshed this within five days omg. This is he fastest update I did for a one shot and I feel accomplished. Hope you guys like this and I hope you can take your time and comment? Fanfics are labors of love from authors so it would be nice to know how readers think about them.

~gin