The Accident

EVER AFTER
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(CHAERIN’s POV)

“Dara, baby, wait. Where are you going?”

 

“Busan.” She softly said.

 

Eight months have passed already. Time flies so fast. Why she’s acting that way couldn’t be possibly blamed to her.

 

(Flashback)

Eight months ago…

“Baby, wake up! We’re going to Dr. Kang today!” she excitedly told me while shaking my body.

 

“Yes, yes. You take your bath first. Right behind you.”

 

________

 

“So now, Miss Park, a series of test will be made first. I want you to know that we cannot assure you of having IVF a success. There is a huge possibility that you can carry one, but then, because we are on an artificial method, failure is also an option.”

 

“We understand Dr. Kang. But we do hope that my wife can make it.” I told the doctor.

 

_______________

 

Dara underwent IVF.

 

While it has always been a dream to create a family, Dr. Kang emphasized that not all can be granted by the luck brought by this method.

 

Dara’s first try failed.

 

It took us four long months to know if she can indeed carry one.

 

This is just the first try, we kept on saying.

 

The second try however, burned another hope for us when she failed once again.

 

As much as I want to comfort her, she had been so distant to me.

 

I wanted to understand.

 

But I also want to let her know that I am still here for her.

 

“Dara, baby, do you want me to accompany you?”

 

“Is it ok?” she looked at me.

 

I flashed a smile. “Yes” coming closer to her to give her a warm embrace. “I love you, and I will never get tired of reminding you that.”

 

I felt tears wetting my office suit.

 

“Chae, I’m sorry.”

 

“Hmm? Sorry for what?”

 

“What if I can’t give you a child?”

 

I hugged her more tightly. “You shouldn’t be thinking that way. That’s why we’re not giving up, right?”

 

I tilted her head and wiped her tears.

 

“I wish you will realize that I greatly miss hearing you laugh and seeing you smile.”

 

 

(DARA’s POV)

 

Chaerin went with me to Busan.

 

The past months had been so depressing to me.                                                                              

 

There had been a lot of what ifs on my mind.

 

What if I cannot bear a child?

 

What if Chaerin will leave me for being not able to?

 

I want to guarantee her that I am capable of giving her a family.

 

But why can’t I?

 

As much as I want to remind myself too that there can be a lot of tries to go, it still doesn’t help that I failed for the second time already. How many years shall we wait to finally have one? How many?

 

I was in the middle of searching for my phone’s charger when I noticed a paper attached to my clip file.

 

A hospital bill 10 years ago.

 

Right, I had an accident when I was a child.

 

I was riding my bicycle when I accidentally fell and had a part of my lower abdomen hit by a metal.

 

Wait.

 

I felt a sudden gush of shivering cold on my body.

 

(flashback)

 

I felt pain the moment my senses came back.

 

What happened?

 

I wanted to open my eyes but I can’t do it.

 

It feels like I lost all my energy that even opening my eyes can’t be done.

 

I heard Mom’s voice but it wasn’t clear enough for me to understand.

 

“…can’t she be able to bear a child?” I heard Mom clarifying something to the doctor.

 

The doctor replied but the volume’s so low that I cannot hear it.

 

I felt dizzy. And moments later, I fell asleep.

 

(end of flashback)

 

I felt a sudden weakness entering my system.

 

Why did I just remember this?

 

It didn’t bother me for a while when I was young that I have forgotten about that already.

 

Could that possibly be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter