Chapter 1

A Step Away

Baekhyun was walking alone through his school yard again. He sighed as he saw all of the other kids with each other, not giving a care in the world.

What ing idiots.

All Baekhyun wanted was someone to hold him, even just for a minute. He was tired of being alone all of the time. He wanted to have a friend.

A real friend.

But we can't all have that, now can we?

So Baekhyun just sat by himself on the steps and played with his shoelaces.

I'm a kitchen sink
You don't know what that means
Because a kitchen sink to you
Is not a kitchen sink to me

Baekhyun sighed as tears filled his eyes one more time. He quickly wiped them away so that they wouldn't pool and his eyes would spill over.

He sat there.

He just sat there.

What else was he supposed to do?

So he just sat there and waited to go inside.

13 year olds aren't supposed to be suicidal, are they?

This one was.

Baekhyun was tired of crying. He was tired of suffering. He was tired of being him.

But he wouldn't do it.

Maybe his mom would cry.

The kids at school wouldn't.

So he went inside and cried.

He cried, and it didn't show signs of stopping.

But then someone came in the washroom and engulfed him in a big hug.

He didn't know who it was, or even why they were doing it, but he didn't care.

He just kept crying.

"Just let it all out... just let it out..."

And he did. He cried into the warm arms of the big giant with the deep voice hugging him.

"Okay Baekhyun, I think that's enough crying for now. Do you wanna tell me what happened?"

And Baekhyun just shook his head, still buried in the giant's chest.

"Alright Baek... Then just keep crying, let it all out."

A few more minutes later, and Baekhyun had lessened his crying to small sniffles and occasional hiccups.

Shakily, Baekhyun pulled himself apart from the tree's body and immediately got the shock of his life.

"Ch-Chanyeol?"

The giant who had been hugging him, witnessed his entire mental breakdown, had snot and tears wiped all over him was now staring right at Baekhyun, a lock of curly hair falling into his face as he gave Baekhyun a sheepish smile.

"Yep, in the flesh!"

"But, why?"

Chanyeol chuckled a sad laugh before he looked at Baekhyun with affectionate eyes.

"I see you, Baekhyun."

Taken aback by what Chanyeol just said, Baekhyun had no reaction other than to just open and close his mouth. When he finally realized what the former had said, he spoke non-hesitantly.

"What do you mean by you see me?"

Chanyeol tore his eyes away from Baekhyun and looked at his shoes before biting down on his lip.

"I see everytime you look sad and everytime you cry. I see you laugh when you hear a joke someone said from far away. I see the beautiful smile that graces your lips when you read your favourite part in your favourite book. I see you, Byun Baekhyun."

"I want you to know that you're not alone, and that someone does care for you."

"Because I'm right here. And I'll always be here."

"If you need anyone, I'll be there, becuase I'm always just a step away."

And that was the day that Baekhyun met his first real friend.

And crush.

And boyfriend.

And husband.


A/N: It is honestly the shortest thing I have ever written and I don't even plan on making it longer so deal with it and I'm sorry.

Song used is Kitchen Sink by Twenty One Pilots.