Part 1

Ode To Joy (All I Loved Alone)

When he was younger, about 8 years old, his brother had stormed into the room with tears streaming down his face – a sudden blur of sadness that filled the room the more he sobbed. Yixing had seen his older brother cry a few times since moving to Korea. Luhan had always been so sociable and well liked; leaving many friends back home was hard. Normally, the younger boy would just sit next to his brother and pat his back until he was ready to talk about it or fast asleep. That day though, something hadn’t been right about the way the 10 year old had flopped onto the bed.

 

Yixing had plopped onto pillows next to Luhan to stare curiously.

 

"What's wrong gege?" He'd asked concerned. It took a few minutes, he'd known it would, but eventually Luhan had looked up with tears forming once again in his eyes.

 

"Father just told me I’m going to be married off to the son of a big Korean company," The older boy whimpered out. "He said it's the son of the same company who brought us here for his new job, so I can't get out of it."

 

Yixing had been too young (or rather, too inexperienced) to understand at the time what any of that meant, but he'd tried his best.

 

"But gege," He'd smiled. "Marriage is for adults, who love each other, so why are you crying about that?"

 

Luhan had let out another string of cries then; hot tears full of heartache racing down his cheeks.

 

"I won't ever love him Xingxing," Luhan had choked out. "My heart is back in China, and I don't want it back."

 

The truth in those words were beyond his years at the time, so Yixing had just settled for hugging his brother and assuring him that he would be there to protect his heart; even if it meant it would never leave their home land.

 

A week later they'd been asked to come down stairs to meet another little boy. The Kims had decided to introduce their only son – tanned, wide smile, and combed chocolate hair – through a play date. That was how they’d met Kim Jongin. That was the same day Yixing decided his heart was in Korea.

 

********

 

*******

*******

 

The date was September 28th, 2014 - the day before the wedding. The years had gone by so fast, too fast, and time hadn't healed his dear brothers wounds, but they had opened up new ones for them both.

 

"I can't go through with it," Luhan cried; his hands balled into fists and he stared at his phone on the bed. The screen was on and before them was a photo of Luhan and another male by the name of Xiumin. It was taken the last time Luhan had escaped secretly to China to see him. It was proof of why Luhans heart would forever be in China.

 

"Luhan," Yixing soothed as he hugged his brother. Though he was now 22, and his brother 24, they still held each other like small children. "You have to. I know you don't want to, but father needs the heir to our family to marry into the Kims. If we don't all the effort he put into the company will have been for nothing."

 

"But it's not fair!" Luhan seethed. "I don't love him, hell, I can't even understand him half the time! All he ever talks about is dance and I'm sure there's someone out there for him but it's not me! The only person I have ever loved or will love is Xiumin."

 

Yixing watched as his brother cried his heart out, convinced that miles away back in China another was doing the same for him. He thought about how nice it must be to fall in love and be loved. He at least knew what half of that felt like, even if the feelings would never be returned. He wasn’t proud of it, but Yixing knew what it was like to fall in love – hard.

 

"You know he loves you right," Yixing asked as he stared off into the fireplace. Suddenly he recalled the night Luhan had rushed in with the life altering news. That night he’d been the one to help nurse his brother to health, much like he was now. The difference was that now he felt old and wise. He didn’t know he could feel like that until he’d been heart broken. "Jongin? You know he's really happy to be marrying you, even though he knows you hate him?"

 

Over the years Jongin had come over religiously to play with both brothers. Yixing had always been eager to share new dance steps with the younger boy; the day never seemed boring when Jongin was around. However Luhan wasn't so inviting. Every time Jongin would come over, Luhan would make up an excuse to go study or go else were that wasn't inhabited by the Korean male. It had really worried Yixing to see his dear brother shut them out, but as he grew he came to appreciate the time spent alone with Jongin. He was amazing. Learning all styles of dance in under 5 years and still acting like a little kid being praised whenever Yixing would complement him. Yixing was a good dancer, he’d taken lessons too, but not in the way that the boy before him was. Even to present date, Jongin was still so insecure about whether or not he’d be good enough to join a ballet company one day. He thought it was absurd that Jongin would ever question it. Yixing saw the stars in Jongin that Jongin was always too busy dreaming of to see within himself already. He was someone Yixing had become attached to quickly and didn't want to let go.

 

He'd thought that the younger male would feel the same way; he'd always seemed so receptive of Yixings attention and loved doting on the Chinese male whenever he could. There was a time he’d even sustained an injury and Jongin had carried him in his arms all the way home; refusing to let anyone else touch or help him.

 

But he was wrong.

 

"You know he only said that to impress our parents, like hell he's going to admit he doesn't want to marry me as much I don't want to marry him." Luhan spat as he dove under the covers.

 

Yixing recalled the day a year ago when Jongin had told him he was in love with his brother. He remembered it so well because it was the same day his heart had broken.

 

They had a party in honor of the engagement being made public. Luhan had been dressed in a white suit that made his features glow and Jongin had looked like a young handsome prince dressed for the night in black attire. Yixing himself had wanted to retract any attention and had dressed in black as well; mingling politely with other guests. It had been a social event and even friends from China had attended. Luhan had retired to him room for the night, saddened that Xiumin had chosen not to attend, leaving Yixing to entertain Kris and Jongin.

 

Kris had just flown in from Canada, and was a longtime friend of the brothers who took great pleasure in teasing Yixing. That night had been no different. After about an hour suffering torture in the form of embarrassing stories and pinching his cheeks, Jongin had pulled Yixing away to the balcony. He'd seemed agitated. Kris had tried to stop them, wrapping arms around Yixing saying things like, “You get him 365 days out of the year; let me have him just once tonight, okay?” and, “Xingie, hurry back, I still have to tell them about the time you said you would marry me!” That last sentence had earned a yank in the direction of the balcony. Jongin had been so tense.

 

"I have to tell you something," He'd said suddenly, his face frantic and unsure.

 

"What is it?" To this day, Yixing had always felt foolish for letting his heart flutter at the idea of the young Korean male confessing his love for him. All those nights Yixing had spent crying at night over the conversation would forever remind him how wrong he'd been.

 

Jongin had hesitated before rushing out, "I'm in love with..." He'd paused. Yixing had felt his heart try to give out before starting back up when Jongin had had stepped closer. "You..r brother. I'm in love... with your brother. Luhan."

 

"Trust me Luhan," Yixing said sadly as the memories faded away. "I just know he's telling the truth. He'd never lie to me."

 

********

 

******

********

"I don't understand..." Yixing whispered out as he read the note in his hands. Around him, his father, mother, and uncle were just as at a loss of words as he was. "He was upset, but not this upset... Does anyone know where he is?"

 

"Is that really the most important question right now?" His father growled; his face downcast. "Who cares where your brother is; we know he’s safe. He’s a smart young man. He wouldn’t just run off without a plan.”

 

His father paced around as his mother took another look at the note. She handed it back to Yixing with a sad look upon her face. “What are we going to do about the wedding going on in a matter of hours? What will we do about that?"

 

Yixing paled. His brother being okay was obviously a concern... but what about Jongin? How would his dear beloved feel at knowing he was left at the altar?

 

He looked down at the note in hand once more; reading the words a second time to understand what Luhan was up to.

 

"Dear Yixing,

 

If you're reading this, know that I am safe, but I cannot marry Jongin. I am sorry for all the fuss you will have to endure over the next few weeks until I return, but know that I left to find my heart.

 

I have a favor to ask of you.

 

You once said you would help protect the love in my heart. Can you please do so even now? Postpone the wedding; say you're me and I am you and that your brother "Yixing" has gone missing. This will serve as a reason enough to hold off until "you" are found. I asked Kris to alert our friends and close family that you will pose as me to help keep questions at bay. It's been so long since company personnel has seen either of us in the same room; there should be no reason for them to question your identity. Even our in laws shouldn't question it.

 

Tell Jongin I am sorry.

 

But I cannot marry him like this. Surely he can understand that.

 

I will return eventually.

 

Luhan."

 

His heart fluttered again but he wished it wouldn't. Yixing knew he had to do this for his brother - but he didn't know how long he would hold up playing pretend with Jongin.

 

His Jongin.

 

His brother Luhan.

 

"Yixing you have to stand in as your brother and pretend to be Jongins fiance. We don't have any other choice," His father pleaded.

 

Yixing had no moment of hesitation as he nodded.

 

"I will be Jongins fiance until we find Luhan."

 

But for how long?

 

*****

 

******

 

*****

Yixing glanced around nervously as he entered the church. The wedding march started to play as he walked down the aisle but was quickly put to rest at the request of Kris who was on standby. Yixing had surprisingly fit into Luhans white wedding suit and no one around him seemed to notice the entire error of the the situation before them. He watched with his heart in his throat as Jongin turned around to look at him. His hair was styled up, messy but with a purpose, and his own black suit was tailored perfectly to fit his dancers build. Yixing didn’t think he’d ever seen someone look so dashing or attractive in his life.

 

It hurt to know he wasn't at the receiving end of this wedding, but it hurt even more to think Jongin would be broken hearted at the news of Luhan walking out. He could see Jongin still his movements, his eyes fixed solely on him, as he made his way to stand next to him.

 

"I will explain to you later, I'm so sorry Jonginnie," Yixing whispered for only them to hear. "But for now just follow my lead. Okay?"

 

Jongin continued to stare dumbly but managed to nod in agreement. Yixing tried his best to ignore the butterflies in his stomach from the other males eyes on him. He took this moment to play it up for all its worth, after all; he was never going to get to feel this with Jongin ever again. He wrapped his hand around Jongins and faced the crowd. This seemed to snap the tanned males attention back to the crowd. He explained that he, Luhan, had terrible news and could not go through with the wedding as a result until the matter was resolved. He explained that Yixing had gone missing and until he was found he could not marry Jongin peacefully. He hadn't realized he'd started tearing up and shedding tears until he felt arms wrap around him and didn't object when Jongin told him to just let it out.

 

Yixing cried a few tears, letting the shock of the situation hit him, into the Korean males neck; soothing circles were drawn into his waist as the guests filed out in shock and worry. Jongin just held him, rocking them back and forth, and Yixing didn’t know what hurt worse: the knowledge that he’d never be able to be held like this again, or that Jongin probably needed it more than he did.

 

He was going to have to protect him brother by killing his own heart.

 

He was going to have to be Jongins fiancé.

 

He was going to have to be Jongins fake fiancé.

 

It was going to kill him.