Chapter 5

For The Price of One Hundred Million Won

                The first period passed by in the blink of an eye. It was Biology and the teacher was really understanding of how Hana was a new student hence she still had some things which she could not catch on fast. It was also a fortunate thing that Hana was a brilliant one so the teacher did not have to repeat things twice for Hana to get it.

                Between classes, Hana would look around her new classroom to discover the interior and discreetly, the students too. She realized that the school was definitely different compared to other normal schools. Even the classrooms were sleek-looking, with high-quality wooden tables and chairs and a touch-screen whiteboard. Hana was completely in awe, but she could see that her other classmates were too used to it. Momentarily, her eyes met with Sehun’s and she quickly pretended to look at the boards behind him.

                “You don’t actually have anything to do with Sehun, right?”

                Hana returned her eyes towards the front when she heard the voice. The statement was more like a threat instead of a question. Standing in front of her desk was the girls from earlier. From her nametag, Hana was informed that the pretty girl directly in front of her was named as Jung Krystal.

                “No. No, I don’t.” Hana tried to sound convincing, but she still can’t hide the slight fear in her voice. It was not her fault; those menacing eyes were too much for her.

                “Great. And make sure it stays that way. Because Oh Sehun will never be yours and will always be mine.”

                With a flip of her hair, she went back to her desk while her crews also left but not without rolling their eyes that meant to intimidate Hana.

                Hana was not really a girl who liked to judge, but she could not help but feel sick of Krystal’s attitude. Even if she really was Sehun’s girlfriend (not that she minded or anything), Hana felt that that type of behaviour was totally uncalled for. Did she think that if Sehun was hers, it meant that he could not be friends to other girls at all? At last, Hana concluded that it was definitely a case of insecurity.

                The next subject, which was Korean Literature, also went by briefly. The teacher was impressed by Hana’s ability to project the perfect emotion when she was asked to read a stanza of a poem, and she gave her a thumb up. Hana was flattered, to say the least.

                When the bell indicating recess time rang, all the students quickly emptied the classroom. Suzy, the girl beside her asked her whether she wanted to come with her but Hana only replied with a shake of her head. When she looked back, she could see that Sehun’s seat was also empty and she could not help but feel a pang of disappointment.

                Hana could not lie that she did not even want to mingle with others. In fact, she wished to pay a visit to the cafeteria, chat with the girls and laugh whole-heartedly like a normal student would. However, being a new student definitely had its cons. Although Chanyeol and Baekhyun had already shown her most places around the school, they just had to miss the Chemistry lab; which would be where the following class would be held. It crossed her mind to actually ask the two boys to show her the lab, but then she felt that she would be burdening them too much. Well, that and also the fact that the two were absent from the classroom right then, as well as other classmates.

                With a confident breath, she heaved her books and went out of her classroom to search for the lab. Of course, she could wait for her classmates to help her but Hana had never been fond of entering classes exceeding the exact time. She figured that skipping her morning snacks might somehow take a toll on her, but that thought was pushed towards the back of her mind. Studies came first, no matter what.

-

                Sehun quietly bit his egg sandwich while nonchalantly staring at the fountain in the middle of the cafeteria. She could hear some girls from his behind whispering and giggling, but he could care less. One of the girls even had the audacity to put a heart-shaped pink cupcake on his table, but Sehun did nothing except for casting the poor dessert a glance.

                He would be lying if he said that he was not concerned of Hana at all. He wanted to ask her to come to the cafeteria with him but he realized that it would only bring harm to her. Just in the short period of that morning, he saw Krystal talking to, or more like annoying Hana not only once, but twice and it definitely ticked him off. It was no secret that Krystal had always claimed Sehun as hers and although it agitated him to no ends, he could not really do anything as she was the only daughter of his mother’s best friend.

                “Hey, dreamy boy!” Jongin loudly hollered while sitting next to him.

                Sehun could only roll his eyes.

                “What were you thinking? That sandwich of yours has stayed ignored for like more than hours.”

                Leave it to Jongin to exaggerate things. “Oh, shut up.”

                Jongin wailed a ‘Whyyyy?’ and subsequently acted a shocked face with his fist covering his mouth. “Don’t tell me… you’re missing that Ji Hana girl?!”

                Sehun unconsciously glared at Jongin. Jongin’s voice was nowhere near the minimum volume, and Sehun would not appreciate it if the girls behind them managed to hear Jongin’s ridiculous statement.

                “Can’t you keep it down? And no, I don’t miss her. I’m just thinking… about… things.”

                “Yeah, right. Speaking of which, where is she? I don’t even see her in here.”

                Sehun immediately scanned the whole area and true enough, Hana was nowhere to be seen. Sehun had thought that she would make friends and spend her recess with them, but he was proved wrong. He also could not help the slight feeling of guilt in him for leaving her alone.

                Just in time, Chanyeol and Baekhyun arrived at their table and set down their tray. They both had a tuna sandwich on each of their trays, accompanied with an apple and a pack of milk. As soon as they sat down, Sehun quickly inquired, “Have you seen Hana?”

                “Yes, this morning, obviously. Duh.”

                Sehun huffed out an exasperated sigh. Why he was friends with these people remained a mystery for him.

                “I mean now, in the cafeteria you .”

                “Hey! Why did you call Baekhyun a ?” Chanyeol had always been the protective friend, and he definitely proved his title.

                 “Whatever,” Sehun replied while taking a bite of his long-forgotten sandwich. Where could Hana be?

-

                Hana let out a sigh of relief when she finally discovered the sign of ‘Chemistry Lab’ on the classic wooden door. She had literally gone to every nook and cranny of the school yet the lab just had to be at the last place she went to. She had gone to Block A only to came upon the teachers as it was the block of the teachers’ room, passed through Block B to come upon the library and explored Block C to unintentionally witness some students making out. Apparently, it was the place to relieve their stresses.

                Pushing open the front door of the lab, Hana squealed in delight when she saw the interior. She knew that every inch of the school screamed luxury, but she always felt giddy every time she spotted new things. Stepping inside, she put her books and stationaries on the table at the far end and started wandering inside.

                Her eyes caught sight of some bottles on a shelf that definitely intrigued her. As she slowly approached the shelf, she could discern some words written on each bottle and finally she could clearly read the words written on them. Sodium sulphate, hydrochloric acid and hydrogen peroxide are some of the signs that were present. Hana was awed to see the substances that she had always only read in books in real life. In pure fascination, she reached out her hands to touch one of the bottles.

                “Having fun?”

                Hana automatically jumped and turned around with her right hand on her chest. Spotting Sehun leaning at the door, she yelled, “Don’t scare me like that!”

                “I was only asking you a question! It was you that were too possessed to notice me. I’ve been here for quite some time.”

                After regaining her composure, she went to her seat and sat on the high stool. When Sehun sat in front of her, she asked, “Why are you here?”

                “The question is; why are you here?”

                Sensing that she had nothing to hide, she replied, “I searched for this lab before class starts because apparently, Chanyeol and Baekhyun forgot to show me this particular lab.”

                “They really are clumsy sometimes. But they are still fun to be with.”

                “They surely are.”

                They fell into a comfortable silence with Hana picking on her skirt and Sehun playing with the plastic bag in his hand.

                “What’s in your hand?”

                “Your missed morning snack.” The fact that he stole the tuna sandwich from Baekhyun should remain a secret.

                Hana was touched, to say the least. Taking the plastic bag from Sehun’s outstretched hand, she muttered a quiet thank you.

                Sehun then took his half-eaten sandwich and continued eating. When Hana took out a plastic case containing the sandwich, he could see her face scrunched up a little.

                “Why?”

                “What’s the filling?”

                “Tuna?” Sehun answered unconfidently, perplexed by Hana’s question. He knew for a fact that Hana was never picky in anything, much less for food.

                “Sorry, I really appreciate this but I’m allergic to tuna.” She stated with an apologetic face while putting the sandwich back into the plastic.

                “Well... do you want mine? It’s egg.”

                “Oh, no. Don’t mind me. I’m not even that hungry.”

                Hana’s stomach just happened to choose that particular time to grumble. Embarrassed, she put both her hands on her stomach and looked away.

                “Come on. We’ll share.”

                “No, really, but still, thanks.”

                “Oh, come on. Just take a few bites.” Sehun whined while holding the sandwich right in front of Hana’s lips. Knowing that Sehun was never one to give up, she conceded, “Okay, then. Just one bite.”

                Just when she moved her hands to grab the sandwich, Sehun took his hands back.

                “No. Just say ahhh.”

                “Excuse me?”

                “Say ahhh. I’ll feed you.”

                “Sehun, I still have hands.”

                “Yeah, and I do too. Now say ahhh!”

                Relenting to his words, Hana said ahhh, only to please him. However, she could not stop the red colour from flourishing her fair cheeks when Sehun patted her head while saying “Good girl!”

                They ended up taking bites of the egg sandwich alternately, with Sehun feeding Hana until it was finished.

-

                After the Chemistry class, all the students of 5 A-1 which was Hana’s class went back to their classroom. When the class monitor yelled that the next lesson was Mathematics, everyone groaned in unison.

                “Ugh, I hate Maths!”

                “Who don’t?”

                “Can’t we just skip it?”

                “Good afternoon class!” The teacher good-naturedly remarked while walking into the classroom, oblivious to the pained expression on each of the student’s face.

                “Good afternoon, teacher.” The whole class half-heartedly replied, except for a few, with Hana being one of them.

                “What’s with this atmosphere? Are you guys too bored of Maths now?”

                The students did not even bother to deny the somehow true statement so the teacher just laughed it off.

                “Anyway, I have the results of the pop quiz that I held last week. Congratulations, Oh Sehun, you obtained a 100, again.”

                The whole class erupted into thunderous claps and whistles from mostly the girls. Hana glanced towards Sehun and she could see him smiling a bit but still acted relaxed. Hana was puzzled. She remembered Sehun asking her the solutions of some Mathematics questions, even the easy ones on top of that. She would have to ask him about it later.

                “Okay, calm down. Don’t get too excited. Just know that there’ll be another test next two weeks.” The teacher announced a little bit too enthusiastically.

                Most of the students dropped their heads on the tables with a cry.

-

                When the last bell rang, shouts of joy could be heard throughout the school. Hana wondered whether this was an everyday occurrence or not but she was not complaining one bit. She was just ecstatic to be able to live the life of a normal student.

                After she finished packing her things into her bag pack, she hauled the pink bag onto her back. Adjusting the straps, Suzy tapped her shoulder while passing through and uttered a joyous ‘Bye! See you tomorrow!’ She replied with the exact same sentences with a relieved heart. At least she still got someone she could consider as a friend.

                Before exiting the classroom, she looked back towards Sehun and saw him with Krystal by his side but she was busy rearranging her hair pins. Upon meeting eyes with Hana, Sehun mouthed a ‘You go first’ and Hana nodded her head as a response.

                By the time she arrived home, it was already four in the evening. While riding the elevator, she briskly planned of cooking mango chicken and buttered prawn as an early dinner. Upon entering the penthouse with the second card that Sehun had given her, she put her bag on the dining table and went straight to the kitchen to start cooking.

-

                Sehun arrived home at nearly seven in the evening. Earlier, Krystal had begged him to send her home, giving the excuse of her car still being at the workshop. When they had arrived at her mansion, Sehun wanted to quickly drive away but Krystal mentioned how her mother had always missed Sehun and how he recently had stopped paying them a visit. He wanted to say no, but Krystal gave her those puppy eyes and he had always been a weak man for that particular expression, even when they were still kids.

                After engaging in a lengthy conversation with Mrs Jung and her daughter, he hastily drove his car back to his penthouse. But fate had another plan. He was stuck in a traffic jam and thus that explained his lateness in arriving home.

                “Hana?” He shouted when he did not see her in front of the television. Usually by seven, she would be in front of the entertainment device to watch the daily drama.

                As he trudged in, there still were no answers. His eyes detected the wrapped dishes on the dining table and unconsciously, he smiled with his heart filled with warmth and pride.

                Sauntering towards Hana’s bedroom, he caught a glimpse of Hana at the study table with her back facing him. The bedroom door was left slightly ajar and it left enough spaces for Sehun to lean on the doorway. Even from outside, he noticed the wire peeking from her pocket and he figured that she was listening to music. That definitely reminded him of his intention to scold her of the habit of listening to songs during cycling.

                Slowly stepping towards her without a sound, he stood directly behind her sitting posture. Swiftly, he yanked the earphone out of Hana’s right ear.

                “Wha- Oh, Sehun. You’re home.” She gave him one of her blinding smile.

                Sehun almost felt sorry to scold her. Almost.

                “This habit of yours need to stop.”

                “What habit?”

                “Listening to music in dangerous situations. You did it this morning too, while cycling.”

                Hana was baffled. She was pretty sure she was alone during her whole ride to school.

                “You saw me this morning?”

                “Yeah, only for a few seconds though.” Yeah right, Oh Sehun.

                Cocking an eyebrow, she let it go and said, “Okay. Will do. But how in the world is now a ‘dangerous situation’?”

                Grasping for words, he mumbled out, “Yeah, you were… what if… and if… You were supposed to be waiting for me!”

                Hana stood up while chuckling to herself. “Okay then. Let’s eat.”

                Sehun stopped and spun her to allow him to see her face.

                “How was today?”

                Despite the unfriendly classmates and some missed lessons, Hana still thought that her first day was perfect so she answered with a “Terrific.”

                Sehun was appeased by Hana’s reaction. Pinching her cheeks, he replied with “I’m glad.”