Rᴇsᴜʟᴛ

Mᴀʀᴋ Tᴜᴀɴ Cᴏʟʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴏɴ | ᴏɴᴇ sʜᴏᴛs; ᴅʀᴀʙʙʟᴇs; ғɪᴄʟᴇᴛs

FIVE; One-shot

Slight angst; fluff;
Continuation of Strangers

Mina had really gotten to know Mark and Jackson over the next couple of months, so much that she had met them at that same café three times weekly. She had really hit it off with the two of them and Mark was really starting to grow attached to her. He often would take her home if he had the time, and as an insider, it was difficult for Mina to see just how into her Mark was.

In all honesty, Mina was sure that Mark was just a friendly guy, not that Jackson ever said otherwise.  

Today, Mark was a little late so Mina sat with Jackson in the small café while they waited for him. Jackson and Mina sat on opposite sides of the table, leaving the seat next to the both of them open. Nine out of ten times, Mark would choose to sit next to her, but in the chance he wanted to look at her more often, he would sit across from her.  

The thoughts didn’t cross either of their minds as Mina and Jackson enjoyed their drinks, joking back and forth with each other until Mark entered. Mina’s eyes perked up so Jackson could just guess that it was Mark as he pulled his sunglasses off his face. He looked around the café before spotting the two.

Mark’s thick lips pulled back over his pearly white teeth in a grin. He had looked so much better since Mina intervened with Sandy. His face looked brighter, his smile wider, his eyes livelier. He looked like a whole new person now that he had finally rid his prison ball.  He approached the table with long strides before he grabbed the seat next to Jackson as he watched her eyes.

She smiled at him regardless of his decision before he smiled back at her, deciding to take a seat next to her instead. He threw his arm around her shoulders, shaking her awake.

“What’s up, girl!” Mark called, watching her giggle as he shook her gently. Jackson just laughed at the look on Mina’s face before interacting in the typical guy slap and fist bump with Mark, greeting each other.  “Has Jackson been doing a good job keeping you under the radar?” Mark asked. Since day one they had been worried about some type of scandal leaking out about her and really, they cared more about her safety over their own.

“Me! What about you! You’re the one who always takes her home!” Jackson accused, pointing a finger at Mark after leaning halfway across the table. Mark laughed but agreed it was a risk. It was common for paparazzi to be lurking around every corner. Actually they were surprised that something hadn’t come out already, what with all of the driving her home and walking her to her door.  

It was easiest that way. Mina would take the bus to work in the morning, walk across the block to the café to meet them there, and Mark would take her home.  Mina didn’t mind, really. Mark was always so fun and entertaining in the car. There was never a silent trip.  She smiled and bit her lip as she averted her gaze from the two of them, waving them off.  

Mark reached over and pulled her curtain of hair behind her ear. “What are you having today?” he asked after a server had come by to take his drink order.

“I’m not telling you!” she replied, “every time I tell you, you copy me or buy it for me! You don’t need to do that, you know,” she told him, finally her eyes meeting his again.

He just smiled back. “I will forever owe you,” he replied simply.  

“Can we just call it even, already? We’re all people here, besides, I’m not even the—”

Mark brought a hand over to keep her voice down. There were plenty of people there, but they were all older and understood the meaning of privacy. As Mina said, they were people, too, and deserved to be treated like them.

Jackson laughed, “Yeah, try convincing him of that one. When he says he forever owes you, it will not go down in flames,” he explained to her and Mark just laughed in response.

“How will I be splitting the tickets today?” the server asked with a polite smile as she set down Mark’s drink.

“I’m on my own today!” Mina piped up but Mark just looked at the other girl and shook his head.

“She’s on mine as usual, and he’ll be on mine, too,” Mark told the girl. Jackson looked at him incredulously—he never wanted this to happen. If any of them though it was difficult to have Mark in debt to them, it was even worse to be in debt to him. Jackson whined in protest, Mark was being malicious now.

“So just a single check today?” she asked, and Mark nodded. She took their orders and Mina wanted to punch Mark in the arm, which she did gently as soon as she could get enough distance to wind up on him.

“You’re such a brat,” she told him and he turned to press his nose into her cheek.

“I’m your brat,” he said, a total slip of the tongue, but she laughed in response anyway. Jackson’s heart panged for Mark. He was so sweet to her, the absolute perfect thing for her, but from the insider point of view, it was so hard for her to see it. She just treated him like her best friend and while Mark was slightly content with that, Jackson knew it wasn’t good enough. He has offered multiple times to talk to Mina about it, but Mark refused every single time, telling Jackson that it was his burden and that he would take the step eventually.

Dinner went by quickly and it wasn’t long after that Mark wanted to take Mina home. Jackson could tell by the look in Mark’s eyes as he looked at Mina that today was the day he was going to take that step. Jackson wiggled in his seat for Mark—he was so supportive and honestly was very excited for Mark to have a girl in his life that was nothing but loving and supporting. Mark was his family and Jackson would never wish anything but the best for the older male.  

After paying the check, the three of them exited the small café and Mark and Mina bid Jackson a safe drive home before Mark opened the door for Mina, the same way he always did. She plopped into his low whip before he closed the door gently and swung around to the driver’s side.  

Mina felt weird, though. This drive was the only quiet drive they had ever had, but she could tell Mark was nervous about something. His hand was gripping the center console as he stared straight ahead, driving more cautiously than normal. She reached over and touched his hand to which he flinched and looked over at her.

“Are you doing okay? You’re kind of tense; is there something going on?” she queried concernedly.

“I’m fine,” he replied quietly as they pulled up to a red light. His eyes were finally able to look at hers seriously and they looked at her reassuringly. “I promise it’s nothing,” he told her with a smile before the light turned green. When they finally pulled into the parking lot for her apartment building, Mark was slow to even think about getting out. He seatbelt remained on as he sat there.  

Mina was nervous now as she looked at him. He had barely looked at her all night, which was unusual for him. They both exited the car after some coaxing from Mina and they stepped into the elevator of her building, taking them to her floor.  When they came upon her door, she was still uneasy about him—she knew he had something to say, something to get off his chest.

“Thank you again for dinner, Mark,” she told him appreciatively. He nodded with a grin, hands shoved in his pockets, which wasn’t normal either. Usually they were entertaining her hands or her hair, or at least supporting him as he leaned against the wall.  

Mina turned to unlock her door and Mark was beginning to walk away before she turned around just in time to grab his wrist to drag the taller male into her apartment. She closed the door before turning to him, a little irritated with his attitude.

“Let’s talk, Mark. You’ve been weird with me all night and I want to know what’s going on,” she finally said, calling him out on his behavior.

“It’s nothing,” he replied simply.

“Okay it’s not nothing. You’ve been quiet and distant; you were normal when you showed to the café, but ever since then, things have been falling apart,” she told him, knowing that he knew exactly what she was talking about, but was going to humor him with an explanation anyway.  

Mark’s hands rose from his sides finally to cup her face, his warm palms on her cheeks as he stared into her soft eyes. “I’m sorry, I’ve just got a lot on my mind, that’s all,” he said, “I haven’t meant to be strange with you, that’s never my intention.” She looked into his eyes; they were nothing less than stressed and unsure.  Her hands touched his hips as she stepped to him, wrapping her arms around his waist to press her ear against his heart. It was uneven, beating strangely.

“I should get going,” he commented to her, his hand having cupped her head for only a moment.  

“I know what this is about, Mark,” she finally said, pulling back to look up at him.

Mark shook his head; she wasn’t going to bluff him into telling. “You don’t know anything about it. You’re trying to bluff me into telling you, but it’s not going to happen,” he told her, his hand in his pockets again.

“You’ve got things going on with your heart that you don’t get. I get it, all you have to do is say so,” she said, turning away from him. “Have a good night, Mark. Thanks for bringing me home.” Mark’s fake smile faded as she guessed him right. But now she was walking away, frustrated beyond belief with him; he was losing her. Mark stood in the entry way for only a moment, looking down at the shoes she was wearing before he slipped his own off.

Mark entered her home quickly, following her to the middle of the living room before he snatched her wrist, pulling her back to him and spinning her around until his hands found her cheeks. He cupped them gently as his lips pressed against hers so softly and sensually, Mina’s knees buckled slightly. His heartbeat was even again, just faster than normal as his lips slid against hers, adjusting the kiss for a more comfortable position. With his head slightly tilted to the side, nose pressed into her cheek, eyes closed gently, his hands left her face to gather her closer to him, feeling her arms wrap around his neck.

Mina’s brow drew together at the gentleness of Mark’s kiss as she leaned into him, his warm fit body letting her melt into him. He lifted her gently, standing her on her toes as she squeezed her against him, pulling her lips a little tighter to his before they finally parted, Mark’s head tilting down to brush his temple against her cheek.  

“I know exactly what’s going on with my heart,” Mark told her quietly, breathlessly.  Mina’s eyes still hadn’t opened as her fingers played with his hair.  Mina slipped back to standing flat on her feet, bringing her hands away from the back of Mark’s head to slide down over his broad shoulders.

“I guess I do, too,” she replied to him, her eyes finally opening. He looked at her from under his fan of lashes before raising his head entirely to look her directly in the eye.

“I know I was weird today, but I was trying to find the best way to tell you,” he explained, his hands entertaining hers as they held them, playing with her fingers as his eyes cast down towards them. She ducked down, capturing his lips once more to bring his face back up.

His eyes, they were so soft as they looked at her, like she was going to break if they looked at her too harshly. “You’ve had my heart since the day you set me free, Mina,” he expressed, his right hand coming up to caress her cheek with the back of his fingers. “I have been unable to express how much that meant to me, you freed my heart, and even though it belongs to you, it still feels free.”

“I know you would never do anything to tie me down; you’re perfect. You’re the love, support, and compassion I need. I want to formally ask you to be my girlfriend,” Mark articulated, watching her face for a reaction.

“I would like to formally accept,” she replied to him after a few minutes, her eyes looking deeply through his. Mark didn’t have anything to say, his heart so relieved and overjoyed, he leaned in for their first kiss as a couple, and damn did it feel good.