Final

Pick Me Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I’m sulking when I look at the car window. I sit in the back seat, and this car is driven by my father’s personal driver.

I'm really angry and resentful. This car passes through the green, green, and green area. Who is the person who put forward the theory that the green color refreshes the eye and the mind? Bull! The green color makes my eyes sore and my mind becomes chaotic.

Where is the gray skyscraper that usually I passed? Where is the shopping center which I usually visit?

Oh! I forget. It’s not Seoul. In fact, it’s not even a city. It’s a rural, where rice fields are the main land use. you, green color! You’re so annoying!

But my father is actually more annoying here. That old man casually threw me into this shabby village just because I was fighting at school. Hell! The wounds in my face had not healed, and I've been kicked out of the house.

So what if men fight? Moreover, fighting is my hobby. A hobby should not be challenged, right? I don’t understand that wrinkled man’s mindset.

All over the world also knows that this Kim Jongin is a fighter, but why that old man was shocked when I fought yesterday? Since I became a high school student, I used to fight, right? Fighting is a part of my life. Then, why now I am disposed to this village just because I broke the nose of an albino man named Oh Sehun? It’s clear that the pigment deficiency boy is my sworn enemy since forever, so it’s natural when we were both throwing fists.

But my father may have felt tired because every day I destroy his reputation. His reputation as a successful entrepreneur was destroyed by the most handsome youngest son. Maybe someday I will not get the legacy of the old man. Maybe Joonmyeon hyung will inherit everything.

But who cares? I don’t care about the mounting number of treasures. The most important thing for me is I can live freely. That's enough for me.

Can I live freely in this village after I separated from my father who was very strict? I don’t know and I’m not sure about that. There’s one thing in this village that makes me hesitate about my free life.

“We’re here, Young Master,” the voice of Uncle Han—my father’s personal driver—interrupted my thoughts.

True enough, we've arrived. Now my father's luxury car has stopped in front of a one-story house and whitewashed. Although it consists of only one floor, but the house is fairly large-sized. I take the time to look around, and it turns out the houses in this area are only consists of one floor.

But the house which is right in front of me is the biggest, with a spacious yard and a large tree growing in the yard. The house is very beautiful and clean.

Suddenly I’m struck by the motion of Uncle Han who opens the car door on my side. "Sorry to surprise you, Young Master. You seem to forget a little of this area, so you had been silent in the car and think hard."

Actually it’s not just a little, but I really forget this area. I left this village was only seven years ago, but there is absolutely no inherent memory in my mind about this village.

Maybe my head is too often beaten with wooden and iron by my enemies so that I become forgetful like now.

Needless to say, I finally step out of the car, and my suitcases also been issued by Uncle Han from the trunk of the car. I actually dumped here, huh? A seventeen-year old boy accustomed to luxurious living, starting today will be the village youth? What kind of nonsense? Even there’s no phone signal here. I'm really going to die!

But I still don’t say anything though Uncle Han has started walking in front of me by dragging my two large size suitcases. The contents of those suitcases were just my clothes. My father didn’t even give me money. Even my cell phone was confiscated. But who cares about the cell phone? The cell phone will be useless because there’s no phone signal here. Seriously.

I decide to walk behind Uncle Han who had walked ahead. My two hands tucked in the pocket of my pants, and I must have looked imperious at this time. But, what do I care?

But suddenly my footsteps stopped automatically when my eyes caught the sight of an old wooden swing that seemed familiar to me.

The swing is in the yard of a house that located right next to the house which I’m going. Those two houses are only separated by a navel-high wooden fence so that I can still clearly see the swing.

I tilt my head and try to remember about swing it, but I don’t remember anything about that mysterious thing.

Finally I give up and just shrugged my shoulders dismissively. Anyway, I was born here and I have had my childhood here, so it's normal if my brain save a little vague memories of this area.

"Jongin ..." a weak call greeted my ears, and that sound makes me look forward, in the direction of the house that will become my home. Who knows for how long. Maybe forever.

I see an old woman sitting in a wheelchair being driven by Uncle Han. They both are on the front porch, smiling at me. I don’t smile back, and in the silence I step over them.

"Oh my God! My grandson has grown up now!" my grandmother—the old woman—talk again when I’m standing right in front of her.

This is the reason why I'm still not going to live freely here. There is my grandmother who would replace the role of father to watch me here. And worse, my father gave me orders to take care of this old grandmother. All this time my grandmother was cared by a nurse, but why suddenly I was asked to care for the elderly? My father was really intended to punish me.

I bow my head to stare at my grandmother who’s still smiling at me. My grandmother is very worn. She’s already four-fifths of the century, so it’s natural if now she is very weak and helpless.

I did not meet with her for seven years, and it turns out she is getting older. I thought she wasn’t able to grow old again when I, my older brother, and my parents moved to Seoul seven years ago.

"You don’t want to hug your grandmother, Nini?"

What the hell! What kind of nickname just given by my grandmother? That nickname sounded like a nickname for pets. Oh! I’m reminded of Monggu—my dog—that I left in Seoul.

But I decide not to question that ridiculous nickname. Maybe that’s my childhood nickname. Now I have a better and cooler nickname, Kai. Everyone at my previous school called me ‘Kai’ because I never want to be called by my real name. My real name is too plebeian. Too stupid.

I finally embrace my grandmother because she'd been looking at me expectantly. "I don’t know why Grandma call me Nini, but from now on Grandma can call me by my new nickname, and that’s Kai."

Suddenly, my grandmother took off my arms then she looks at me confusedly. "Why did you change your nickname? You used to be very fond of the ‘Nini’ nickname."

I must admit that my grandmother is great because she doesn’t seem to have a hearing loss when her age isn’t young anymore.

"I liked that stupid nickname? That’s impossible, Grandma."

My grandmother flicks my forehead because of my words just now. "Don’t you dare to mention that name as a stupid name!" it looks like my grandmother is very angry with me because now she looks at me with a very dreadful gaze. "That name was given to you by someone who is very special for you."

I immediately frown after my grandmother finished her speech. "A very special person for me? Who? My mother?"

Hearing me mentioned the word mother makes grandma’s expression turned into sad expression. "Don’t ask me about who it is. Try to remember by yourself who it is," after saying that, my grandmother spins her wheelchair and moves it to enter the house.

I sigh. My eyes still look at my grandmother's departure. My grandmother must have felt sad because of what I said. Who’s not sad at the thought of her only daughter who had died?

Yes, my mother is the biological daughter of my grandmother. My mother never parted with grandma from the beginning. So, it isn’t surprising that I and Joonmyeon hyung was born here and grew up here even though we moved to Seoul seven years ago.

Two years ago my mother died of cancer. At that time my grandmother also came to Seoul, but I didn’t see her because I didn’t want to get out of the room. I'm very close to my mother, and her departure was completely destroyed me.

My mother's death made me change. Before my mother died, I was a boy who was cheerful, warm, and kind. But since my mother died, I was instantly transformed into a quiet, cool, and delinquent boy.

My mother used to defend and protect me when my father was abusive and dictatorial. After she left, I felt alone. No one defend me and love me, so I chose to rebel. I turned into a bad boy.

My mother is the most special person to me, but it seems that she is not the person who was referred by my grandmother. Then, who had been referred by my grandmother if that person is not my mother?

"Young Master..." the voice of Uncle Han broke down my thoughts again. "I have to go back to the town before it gets dark. The trip takes about five hours, so I have to come back soon. Tomorrow Young Master can start the school. A bicycle for Young Master had been prepared in the garage."

“What? A bicycle?”

"Yes, Young Master. The distance from this house to the school can be reached within ten minutes by bicycle. Now I have to go. Goodbye, Young Master."

I really can’t say anything in response to Uncle Han’s speech. Bicycle, he said? I have to go to school by bicycle? I can’t even ride a bicycle, stupid!

But Uncle Han had entered the car, and the car moves away from grandma's house. I can only stare blankly at the departure of the black car. Really. My life is really like in hell. In the end I can only sigh resignedly, and I intend to turn my body and entered the house.

But I stop when my eyes found a wooden swing at the neighbor's yard is not empty anymore. There, on top of the old swing, sit a petite boy who bows his head.

The black-shirted man seemed to be in peace at the top of the swing. I try to see his face, but he ducks so I can’t see his face.

I don’t know why I’m curious about the mysterious boy. My heart feel intrigued to find out about him, but I also hesitant to approach him. Perhaps the man is living in the house next door. Maybe tomorrow I will see him and greet him properly. So finally I decide to truly turn and walk into Grandma’s house.

 

 

"Grandma..." I called my grandmother after we both finished dinner. My grandmother looks up at me, and I speak again. "Did Grandma know about the boy who lives in the house next door?"

I really can’t resist the urge to inquire about the boy who sat on the swing this afternoon. Somehow, the man's shadow seems to haunt me until I feel very curious about him. There’s an invisible magnet that attracts me so that my mind focused on him.

Do not be mistaken. I'm a straight guy. I was even known as a playboy who likes to play the women’s heart. I used to have a lot of female lover. It's just that I've never felt what now I feel. I feel strange, but I believe that I’m still straight. Maybe I’m just curious about the little boy.

"Why did you ask about that, Nini?" Once again my grandmother called me by that name. I'm actually embarrassed, but I don’t have the right to scold an old lady, right? My grandmother could have a heart attack and had to be rushed to the hospital if I scold her.

"This afternoon I saw a young man who probably my age, sitting on an old swing that was in the yard next door. Did Grandma know who is he?"

Grandma for a moment trying to think hard, before finally she answering my question. "The house next door has long been occupied by the Do family. But this time there’s no young man living in the house. Maybe you're mistaken."

It’s my turn to think hard. How could I be wrong? Clearly I saw a young man in the yard next door. Or perhaps, the young man was not the occupants of the house next door, and only visited the house next door to play with swing? Ah, I don’t know! I got headache thinking about it all!

 

 

This morning I reluctantly pull out a worn bicycle from the garage. I thought there would be a new bicycle, but it turns out there is only worn bicycle here. Damn!

With a heavy heart I lead this ugly bicycle out of the grandmother house's yard.

And now I've been in front of grandma's house, and I don’t know what I should do. Since childhood, my mother never let me learn to ride a bicycle, so I was never be able to ride this two-wheeled object.

"Hi," a soft voice suddenly greeted my ears.

I finally take my eyes off my battered bicycle toward the right side. And there I find a man who has a petite body, pale white skin, and black hair, smiling softly at me. I observe the man with the black costume. Perhaps black is his favorite color.

He has a charming face. His face adorned by a pair of large eyes which is very gorgeous, a beautiful nose, a pair of adorable chubby cheeks, and don’t forget about the thick pink lips that look kissable. Oh! I start to thinking about nasty thing.

But really. I feel very familiar to the charming man in front of me. Looks like I've seen him before, but I don’t remember when and where.

But I don’t feel like trying to remember things that have been missing from my memory. The guy in front of me seemed to grab all my thoughts. The beautiful man makes my body stiff and difficult to be moved. Only my heart that’s still moving to pump blood to all parts of my body.

What's wrong with me? Am I interested in a man? Do I begin to change into abnormal? Oh, God! In fact, it is less than twenty-four hours I stayed here, but I've changed very extreme like that?

"Um...are you okay?" The little man waved his hand in front of my face because it looks like he find me daydreaming.

"A—ah. Y—yes, I'm fine," damn! Why did I suddenly become nervous? Kai was never nervous before!

But fortunately, the tiny man in front of me doesn’t seem to laugh at my ignorance. He even smiles sweetly at me, very sweet. "I've never seen you in this neighborhood. You just move?" I innocently nod silently to answer the question, and then he speaks again. "Well, welcome to this neighborhood. My name is Do Kyungsoo. I lived in that house."

The tiny man—Kyungsoo—pointed toward the house which is right next to my grandmother's house.

Immediately, I wince. Last night, my grandmother told me that there are no young people who live there, but why Kyungsoo said that he lived in that house? Is it true that Kyungsoo is a boy who was sitting on a swing yesterday? Their postures are similar, anyway.

"Hey...are you daydreaming again?" Kyungsoo waved his hand in front of my face again.

"No," I replied quickly. "Did you live in the house for a long time? My grandmother told me that there are no young people who live there."

Once again Kyungsoo smiles sweetly. "Your grandmother is Grandma Kim? Ah~ she often forgotten me. Forgot is a natural thing for an old woman, you know? But it was only appropriate if your grandmother thought that I was not here, because the past two years I attended school in the city, and I would only return when school holidays as it is now."

Kyungsoo chuckles smoothly. Oh, God! His lips parted to form a perfect heart shape, and it's really tempting me! Sound of his laughter is also very beautiful! Why did I become like this?

I try to control myself for a while before I respond Kyungsoo’s explanation. "Ah, I understand now," I try to smile at him. You're lucky, Kyungsoo. I never smiled like this before. "My name is Kai, by the way," I continued while I reached out to him to shake hands.

I don’t have to wait too long until his little hand in contact with my big hand. His tiny white hand really fits to be in my big brownish hand.

But I feel something odd here. Why Kyungsoo’s hand feels very cold? Though it's been towards the end of Spring, and the air temperature is getting hot. Is it because it was still early morning so that his hand is still cold?

I still want to think, but Kyungsoo’s small hand already shifted uncomfortably in my hand. Looks like I was holding his hand too long until he felt uncomfortable.

"S—sorry," I immediately take off my hand and rub my neck awkwardly. I really feel stupid. Each person's body temperature can be different, so I should not make an issue of it.

"It's okay," the soft voice bounced back in between the sides of the beautiful mouth. "By the way, Kai is your real name? That name sounds quite strange to native Koreans."

I smile back. I don’t know why I can smile easily at people who just meet me. "My real name is Kim Jongin, but I prefer to be called by the name of Kai."

I don’t know if this is just my imagination, or did Kyungsoo facial expressions become gloomy for real. But then Kyungsoo speaks again and I listen to him carefully. "But I don’t like the name Kai. May I call you by a different name?"

Normally I would be angry at the person who acted arbitrarily and don’t approve of what I said. But somehow I don’t get angry although Kyungsoo behave arbitrarily. I’m not wrong if I call it arbitrarily, right? We don’t know each other well, so very strange if he asks for a thing like that.

But once again, I’m not angry. "You want to call me by the name of what?" That's the question that I ask to him. I feel very strange.

"I want to be close to you, so I want us speak informally. Do you agree with me?" Kyungsoo looks at me with his adorable puppy eyes. How can I say no if he’s looking at me like that? So, do not be surprised if I nod, and it makes him speak again. "I'd love to be close to you. Um...can I call you by Jonginie?"

I really can’t prevent my eyes to not to be enlarged. What? Jonginie? What kind of nickname? The name was too cute and ridiculous, right?

If not Kyungsoo, I would have immediately said no. But this is Kyungsoo. A beautiful creature who looks like a very adorable owl and makes me budge. "Sure you can," I even answered his question with a smile. Really stupid.

But my ignorance seems to have a positive impact, because now I can see Kyungsoo’s sweet smile that flew hundreds of butterflies in my stomach. It’s so fun and makes me want to keep on smiling. I’m crazy.

"Anyway..." Kyungsoo’s voice is played back. "You want to go to school, Jonginie?"

Somehow I shudder to hear that nickname. But I don’t show it in front Kyungsoo, and I nod curtly. "Yes, but I do not know how to ride a bicycle. I purposely set off early to learn first," Once again I rub my neck awkwardly. I just unload my shame that supposed to make me feel very embarrassed. Why I'm too honest with him?

And the result of my honesty is the advent of Kyungsoo’s melodious laughter. "You're funny, Jonginie. Your body is tall, but you can’t ride a bicycle. What if I’m going to ride your bicycle, then you can sit calmly in the back seat?"

Honestly, I was surprised to hear that the idea from Kyungsoo. How could a small man give an idea like that? My body is definitely much heavier than his body, but he suggested the idea? Of course I can’t bear to see him run into trouble while riding a bicycle and carrying my body weight.

"I am a strong man, Jonginie. Don’t you dare to look down upon me," without warning Kyungsoo grabs my bicycle from my left hand, and then he immediately sits his y on the front saddle. "Hurry up!"

I still can’t digest the command from him, and I'm still speechless. But instead he’s glaring at me with his big eyes, and I immediately jump up the back pillion of my bicycle. Actually, his bulging eyes are not scary at all. Those big eyes are too adorable for me. It's just I don’t want to keep him waiting.

"Hold on, Jonginie. I always go fast with the bicycle, so I don’t want you to fall," reflex, I move my two hands to hold the side of Kyungsoo’s shirt.

I was a little hesitant because this skin ship feels so weird. Despite actually I'm just holding the little part of his shirt, but it's still weird for me. I’m nervous!

But Kyungsoo seems don’t want think too much about it. He instead began to pedal fast. Apparently he’s really not kidding about what he said before. He really rides this bicycle very fast.

Instinctively I put my hand on the Kyungsoo’s abdomen because he really doesn’t know the word slow, and I don’t want to fall out of this bicycle. I could have broken my arms and legs if I fall, right?

But then again I feel the cold sensation when I accidentally hug Kyungsoo’s belly from behind. It seem

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter