Sweet Life

Pinksbloo's Collection of One-Shots

A/N: So I wrote this for a class assignment actually, but I wanted to share it here since it was a new style writing I tried.  It's written in Drama format.  I hope you guys enjoy this simple story!

Genre: Slice of Life, Happy, Drama

---

Characters

Jim Franco (92 years old)

Sarah McLaine (85 years old)

Alatea Rodriguez (47 years old) – Nurse Shift Supervisor

Kina Smith (19 years old) – CNA

            The sweet melody of Beethoven’s Symphony No. 5 plays quietly from the record player outside of the patio of the large building.  An old man and old woman sits on the plain white chairs with a round small table in between them.  The grass is as green emerald.  The sky, as blue as the ocean.  The warm air wraps around them as do the atmosphere of sweet remembrance. 

Jim [smiles while looking at the far distance]:  How about that, huh?

Sarah [turns to look at Jim]: What are you talking about now?

Jim:  Just look at the view in front of us, dear.

Sarah looks forward.

Jim:  The sky and the green plains meeting.  That must be what people call the silver lining.  Just like how you and I met.

Sarah [giggles]:  Oh my.  Just thinking back to those days are making me feel so nostalgic.

Jim:  Oh yea.  Just like the sky and the land, you and I are so different.  Yet, look at us.  We’ve met, married and stayed together all these years. 

Sarah:  You were so silly.  Kept following me around like a little puppy. 

Jim [retorts]:  Yea right!  You kept trying to find ways to charm me after you spilled your coffee on me in that small café.

Sarah [looks at Jim in disbelief. Then smiles.]:  You’re so old you don’t remember anymore.  But it’s true.  You even wrote me a letter long ago, telling me how you were so blown away by my beauty that you knew you had to marry me. 

Jim:  Hm.  You’re right.  I don’t remember.  But it’s true, my dear. [Reaches over to grab Sarah’s hand.]  You’re still as beautiful as ever.

Sarah:  Oh just thinking back to the time you proposed to me, you were so dashing.

Jim nods, agreeing with Sarah’s comment.

Sarah:  Kids nowadays will never know how beautiful love used to be back then.  Even without a ring, I’ll still marry you again, over and over.

Jim:  I did too get you a ring.  A diamond, at that.  I even got on my knees and waited for what seemed like a century for you to say yes.

Sarah [Looks at her hand and sees a plain gold band wrapped on her ring finger]:  What ring?

Jim:  Well, you must have lost it!  Oh, I should’ve known.  All these years, you’ve kept that a secret. 

Sarah: No, no.  You bought me a plain gold ring for our 30th anniversary, but never proposed to me with a ring.  Trust me, if I had a diamond ring, I’d remember that for sure!

Jim [sneers playfully]:  Fine, let’s just make it seem like I didn’t get you a diamond ring.  No point in arguing now anyways.  Just like they say, happy wife makes a happy life.

Sarah [laughs]:  Who in the world taught you that?

Jim [smiles]:  Let’s just say it was an old advice from Todd before he left for the Army and never came back.

Sarah:  Uncle Todd?

Jim [looks at Sarah confused]:  Uncle?  I’m talking about our good friend.  He was the best man at our wedding.  Remember? 

Sarah shoots back a confused look.

Jim:  Some would think you’re older than me based on your memory.  How can you forget the best man at our wedding?

Sarah:  Oh stop it!  You know better than to tease an old lady about her age.

Jim [giggles, kisses the surface of Sarah’s hand]:  I’m sorry, dear.  You know more than anything that I’ll always love you no matter what age you are. 

Sarah smiles at Jim.

Jim:  Even thinking back now, I still miss Todd.  Sure, he was a loudmouth, but he sure was an honest kid.  Back then, no one had the guts to tell me that my gold tee made my face look bigger.  I still can’t believe how young he passed away.  Just serving our country like any young healthy man should have.  If only I was able to serve at that time.  Although I’m pretty positive if I had served alongside Todd, I probably wouldn’t be sitting here next to you.  [looks at Sarah while she listens sincerely]  I still remember Todd’s exact words before he left.  With his gruff voice he told me, cherish her, pal.  Love her in every way you can, and give her everything you have.  Everyone knows, a woman is the reflection of her man.  A happy wife makes a happy life, bud.

Sarah:  Well, those sure are wise words.  It just makes me a bit sad that I can’t remember him.  Todd must have been a great friend to you and me, both.

Jim: He sure was.  Great man, he was.

Sarah:  Speaking of Todd, you don’t remember Uncle Todd?  He used to always send the kids Christmas presents up until he got Alzheimer’s. 

Jim:  Hm.  Surprisingly, I don’t.  One would think you’d remember such a giving man.

Sarah [hits Jims’ arm softly]:  Uncle Todd would be rolling around in his grave after hearing you say that.  He loved the kids as if they were his.

Alatea Rodriguez walks over and places two cups of water on the table. 

Alatea [hands over two pills to Jim]:  Time to take your medication Mr. Franco.

Jim [takes pills and water]:  Oh my, you’re looking as young as ever.

Alatea:  Oh please, Mr. Franco.  I just turned 47 last month.  Can you believe it?  I have kids running around calling me abuela already.

Jim:  Abuela?  You must be Hispanic!

Alatea [smiles while closing the pill bottle]:  I am.  I know you two are enjoying the afternoon, but we’re leaving to the community park soon, so in ten minutes we have to go.

Sarah [smiles back]:  Of course, just tell us when we’re heading out, hun.

Alatea walks back into the building.

Sarah:  Sweet woman she is.  Must be new here, I don’t remember her.

Jim:  You don’t remember anything!

Sarah [shoots a glare at Jim]:  Why of course I do!  You just don’t remember the things I do!

Jim:  Okay, okay.  Let’s just sit here for a few more minutes before we head back inside, my dear.

Jim reaches out to grab a hold of Sarah’s hand again.  From inside the building Kina looks over at the two elders.  Alatea walks over.

Alatea:  How do you like it so far?

Kina [startled]:  Huh? Oh, I’m sorry.  It’s great.  Everyone’s really sweet.  [looks back outside]  It must be less lonely living at a nursing home with your spouse, huh?

Alatea [looks outside]:  Oh, they’re not married to each other.  But they do keep one another company.

Kina [surprised]:  They’re not married…to each other?  But…

Alatea:  Yes.  It’s very sad actually.  Mr. Franco’s been here almost seven years and Mrs. McLaine came to us about four years ago.  Since then, neither one of their family members came to visit.  Mr. Franco’s wife passed away some time ago and Mrs. McLaine?  Although we know she has one, she has never spoke of her husband.

Kina [in realization]:  Oh.  They seem so lovely together.

Alatea:  Yes, I know.  That’s why it’s sad.  They always speak to each other about their past memories.  Although we all know it’s their own memories and that they don’t actually share those memories together.  [looks at Kina]  All we can do for them is let them enjoy everything to their best ability. 

Kina looks at the two, with pity in her eyes.

Alatea:  Oh dear, don’t worry.  All you have to worry about is doing your upmost best with your job here.  And, lucky for you, I’ve been working here for 22 years.  So if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Kina [smiles]:  Oh, thanks so much Alatea.  I’m sorry for being distracted.  I’ll get back to putting these away.

Alatea flashes a smile at Kina before walking towards the lounge where everyone else is gathering.  Kina turns back to look at the elderly man and woman outside one more time.  The man holds the woman’s hand while she smiles sweetly at him.

Kina [smiles, in a quiet voice]:  They look so happy.

Kina turns back to her task at hand.  She pushes the cart of towels towards the hall where the rooms are.