Under the same tree

Spring

Spring is one of the four conventional temperate seasons, following winter and preceding summer. Which is characterized by flowers and warm air. The season filled with bright and happy people running under the blooming trees.

But not for her.

Her class had just finished. And her feet brought her to that place.

She received a text. A simple text. The text that she didn't received for a long time. The text she'd always wait. The one that brought a little heartbeat, butterflies, and make her day bloomed. Just like flowers in spring.

But not anymore.

She recalls how the texts used to made her like the luckiest girl in the world. But now, the text pulled her by force, and stifling her breath every time she stepped closer to that place.

That place, the place that no longer being her favorite place. Though she still want to consider it as a special place.

And there she is, stood under the same tree.

Just like a year ago, the same air, the same person.

"Mianhaeyo, Victoria-ssi,"

She curved her lips to a smile. Not a real one. But enough to make everyone believe.

He changed a lot, even though he is still the same. He's still charming with his beautiful big brown eyes, glowing under the sun light. Reflecting his sincerity and innocence that once she knew.

He wasn't a stranger for her. Even she could find out what happened to the young man just by looking at his face. But now, he felt so far, so different. Like they had never known each other before.

"You don't need to apologize, you did nothing wrong,"

"But, still.."

If she could, she wanted to throw herself into his arm. Removing the guilt on his face, grasp his hand, and said that everything will be fine. 

But she knew it wasn't hers anymore.

"Tiffany is a nice girl, you wouldn't want to hurt her"

If only she had not looked away those days. If only everything goes well back then, she knows that no one should feel the guilt. No one should apologize. No one should forgive.

But once a glass broken, it never be whole again. Regret is only a narrow mind which hinder us from the future.

"I can't let myself to hurt you more than this,"

The pain that he was talking about is still residing in her chest. Increases in very second, every minute. Getting more and more in every word that comes out from his mouth. But she chose not to say anything.

"I'd be lying if I told you it wasn't hurt. Yet humans learn to treat their pain,"

That's what she believe. Despite the fact, that pain she felt it's like a grains of bullet pierced her heart.

"I'm sorry for all those things that has happened. You don't deserve it"

"I know,"

"Victoria-ssi,"

She remembers every moment the young man called her that way. The voice that she would miss the most. 

She knew it was also not hers anymore.

"Once, i learned to love you. And I hope I can learn to remove it too,"

She smiled again. This time she tried to smile from her heart. Hiding the pain that strikes the back of her eyes.

"And, Nichkhun-ssi, I know you've done it. Now, I'm the one who should do it "

"Victoria-ssi,"

She shook her head. But she enjoyed it. The last moment she could hear the young man calling her name.

"Would you grant my last wish?"

She never forget a single time that she spent with the young man. And not even once she ever ask something from him. She never even ask him to stay. And she knows this will be the first and last for both of them.

"Once we're both gone from this place, and when one day we meet again, will you act as if we never knew each other before?"

She saw the young man tighten his eyebrows as if it had just made him stabbed. Though everyone knows he's not supposed to be hurt by this.

"I can't do it,"

The young man said.

"I can't do things like that to you,"

She closed her eyes and breath. The young man could always say things that sounded really good. But it did make the tightness between her lungs.

"You can, you can do anything,"

"Victoria-ssi"

She smiled again. This time it really will be the last time she heard it.

"Thank you for a year you gave me, Nichkhun-ssi.."

She said.

"..You've given me a lot of things that had become a precious thing i ever had. And now I can see that you've found it too. But it wasn't with me, but with Tiffany Hwang."

In the past, she never imagined that he would see him with another girl. There is only her and the young man in every dream in her wake. However now, she mentions his name with another girl's name. And she doesn't regret it.

"Although after all this time, the feeling of happiness when I see you smile will never change, Nichkhun-ssi"

She closed her eyes again, and took a heavy and painful breath that she ever had.

"Farewell"

Though she is saying things that would end their story, she decided to say it with a smile. Leave such an impression for them both. She then  turned and walked away from what is not hers anymore. Giving up what has been missing from her grasp. The wind carries her away from all the memory that has been made by both of them, make it into beautiful memories that are considered as never existed.

She sat on the bench far from that place. Letting the tears flow across her face.

She never thought their story would end up like this. The story is ended in the middle of the book in a way she never imagined.

Now everything on the previous page will be eroded bit by bit. 

Just like like flower petals, carried by the wind of spring. 

And she had to leave it that way. Leaving all the pages that wrote all about her and the young man disappeared.

In the same season, under the same tree.