Under the Christmas Lights

CNBLUE Christmas : One-Shot Collection

     The weather is nice, Shinhye thought, taking a deep breath as she strolled down the path of the park, the snow dancing its way down to the ground. Ah, the air is so crisp.

     She admired the beautiful scenery--the trees decorated with lights and snow, the sun as it was just about to set, and as she looked to her right, she saw a figure sitting on top of a horse. It was a small horse, a pony perhaps, but the person sat on it even though he must have outgrown it years and years ago. His back was facing her, so she couldn't tell who it was.

     It's Christmas, she thought. Why isn't he at home?

     Shinhye strayed off the park trail and stepped onto the sand of the playground towards the pony (of course it wasn't a real pony, did you think it was)? It was a little black pony with a spring on the bottom for children to bounce on, not for dark figures to perch on during Christmas day. As she grew closer, the figure sensed her presence.

     Without turning around, "Don't come any closer," he demanded. 

     Disregarding his command, and recognizing his voice, Shinhye became surprised. "Yonghwa-ssi?"

     Finally turning his back, she realized that it was Jung Yonghwa, the boy from school, the most childish, playful, and lovable boy in her class. But what was he doing here, being the opposite of himself? 

     "Oh, hey," he greeted awkwardly. "What brings you here?"

     "Just taking a stroll," she replied. "What about you? You're not going to celebrate Christmas with your family?" 

     "I don't like Christmas," he said bluntly. "It's just not fun anymore." 

     "Well, why not? Whatever the reason, you should at least bear with it and spend time with your family during this time of year," she told him.

     "Stop telling me what to do," he sighed. "I barely even know you, okay? I've seen you around school, sure, but that doesn't mean I'm your friend, so stop acting like you care."

     Shinhye walked around to the front of the pony and petted its head. "You're sitting on my spot," she said, looking up at him and giving him a bright smile.

     "Well, I don't see your name on it," he denied like a five year old.

     She chuckled at his response and pointed to the pony's mane where the words 박신혜 were etched into the metal. "I come here when I'm upset. I was just about to sit on this little guy, but it seems like he's helping you out instead." 

     "Why are you upset?" Yonghwa asked, ignoring her name on the mane.

     "More alone than upset," she replied, her smile slightly subsiding. "My mother and father flew to Japan for a business meeting, and my grandparents are asleep right now... My friends made plans without me."

     "Oh," he said simply.

     "Yeah, so that leaves me with you," she said nonchalantly and paused. "Then what about you?"

     "What about me?" he responded, knowing exactly what she meant. 

     "Why don't you like Christmas?" she asked. "Something happened, right?"

     "Well, uh..it's embarrassing," he replied, turning away to avoid direct eye contact.

     Shinhye stepped aside and gazed up at him expectantly. He glanced up from the ground and caught her stare. Why are her eyes so big and innocent? he thought. Ugh, how annoying.

     "Okay, I've never told anybody, so don't go around blabbering about this at school, arassoyo?" Yonghwa warned.

     "Gosh, just tell me already," she teased. "How bad can it be?"

     He sighed and hopped off the pony. "Come, walk with me."

     Shinhye followed him as he led the way to who knows where. They left the playground quickly; she had to walk briskly in order to keep up with his pace. I ask the guy a simple question, and I have to do all this exercise now, she thought, slightly annoyed. But then again, I have nothing better to do. 

     Yonghwa stood in front of the recreation center and swung the door open, stepping inside before Shinhye could. "There," he said, pointing at the inflated Santa that was sitting by the makeshift chimney. The pine tree was dotted with all sorts of ornaments and shimmered with tinsel and lights, all topped with a golden star, and the ceiling was lined with assorted Christmas lights. It was a very joyful sight.

     "You don't like Christmas...because of Santa Claus?" she asked, bewildered. "What kind of reason is that?" 

     "It's not just 'cause of Santa," he said. "It's the lies and complete falsehood of his entire being."

     She raised an eyebrow at him. "Are you being serious right now?" she asked.

     "Does it look like I'm kidding?" he challenged. "I believed in Santa with all my heart. He became a hero to me, but how can I idolize someone who's just a myth? He's basically a figure of deceit used by parents to manage their children."

     "That's pretty much it," Shinhye said with a shrug. "I never believed in him, but I guess I can relate to what you're saying right now. You feel betrayed, don't you? Like you trusted that person with all your heart, just to discover that...they're just a lie."

     "Exactly," Yonghwa admitted. "I tried explaining this feeling to my family before, but they only laugh at me. How did you understand?" 

     "Remember those friends who made plans without me?" she recalled. "I overheard them talking about making plans for the holidays and their success in hiding those events...from me." 

     "Ah," he replied awkwardly. "But why would they do that to you?"

     "That's exactly what I want to know," she chuckled. "I believed our friendship was strong, but I suppose it wasn't quite strong enough." 

     "Maybe you should talk to them," he suggested. "They could just be trying to surprise you later on."

     "How do you know? Did Santa do the same to you?" she asked.

     "Thinking about it now, he did surprise me," he recognized. "As I sat on the pony out there, I realized he isn't just a con. He's a person we should all remember, old or young. Because he was the one who spread so much joy. He didn't give us the gifts under the tree; he gave us the gift of innocent memories only a child would know. As for your friends, you should give them more trust. I'm sure they wouldn't just turn your back on you like that."

     "I guess," she said, feeling reassured. "Wow, you thought about all that tonight? Besides, how did you find out Santa wasn't real after all?"

     "Well, this is a story I've only told family, but uh, alright," he agreed, catching a glimpse of Shinhye's large eyes and innocent demeanor for the second time. Why are her eyes so huge? he thought. 

     "So when I was twelve," he began. "I was a hardcore Christmas-goer."

     He believed in Santa until he was twelve?? she thought. 

     "A lot of people in Korea really aren't so enthusiastic when it comes to Christmas, but thankfully, my family is," he continued. "I wrote a letter to Santa. I can still recite aloud:

Dear Mr. Santa Claus,

            It's that time of year again! I'm sure you've worked tremendously hard this past year, and it'll be that time when you distribute gifts to everybody in the world in just a week. I've been a relatively good boy this year, and I was hoping to receive a scooter this Christmas. I am so grateful that you sacrifice so much for the children of the world. I love you, Mr. Santa Claus.

Love,

Jung Yonghwa

     "That's impressive," Shinhye acknowledged. "How can you still remember what you wrote all those years ago?"

     "I must have re-written that letter twenty times," he answered shyly. "Anyways, I was especially excited because it was the Christmas Eve I was determined to stay up by the chimney and give Santa his milk and cookies in person. At around 10 o'clock, I snuck out of bed with my camera and tip-toed to the living room, but that's when I saw."

     He paused a moment for dramatic effect. 

     "I saw my father under the Christmas lights of our tree. He wrapping up the last of the presents--my scooter. You can't imagine how devasting that is for a child," he said. "I was miserable for weeks. 'Santa isn't real' was all I thought."

     Shinhye couldn't hold it in anymore. She burst out laughing and turned around as to not meet the eyes of the person who lost his innocence so mercilessly. "Oh, oh, that's hilarious," she laughed out loud, covering with her hands. "My goodness, how can you be so serious while telling that story?"

     "Why are you laughing so hard?" he asked. "It was a dark time during my childhood!"

     Yonghwa's statement only prolonged Shinhye's laughing period.

     "Ugh, you have no repect!" he kidded. 

     As he watched her laugh subside to a chuckle, he began to laugh alongside her. "Hey, why are you laughing now? I thought I had no respect?" she teased.

     "It's just your laugh is really contagious," he snickered, looking around at the Christmas decorations. "Hey, look at that."

     The two of them tilted their heads to the ceiling where a mistletoe hung on the Christmas light. They looked back at each other and made the same expression. 

     "Nah!" they said in unison.

     "I barely met you," Shinhye said. "That's really weird."

     "I know, right," Yonghwa said. "I mean, I love Christmas, but this is kinda extreme."

     "Exactly," she agreed. "You're just a friend too. Besides, there's no rule saying we have to!"

     "Yeah," he said. "Hey, you wanna go grab some dinner or something? I'm pretty hungry."

     "Yes! I'm starving," she admitted. "I'm craving some soup right now."

     "Come on, I know this really good place," he said, holding the door for her.