17 Years Past

The Dark of the Moon

17 years in the past

 

 

Isabel sits crosslegged on the attic floor and blows the dust off yet another picture. She glances at it but puts it away quickly. 5 years, and she still missed her parents terribly. They said the pain would fade with time.

 

It hasn’t.

 

She should be rejoicing, anyways. Her sister is having her second baby soon, and Isabel is cleaning out the house for the soon to be bigger family. The first child was a son, adorable Taeyang, Tae for short. He is two years old right now, too young to know about the coming of his new sibling.

 

Isabel’s been given naming rights once again. She was responsible for Taeyang’s name, and everybody had agreed that she was good at naming, at picking those special words that would make up a person’s identity.

 

Taeyang had been named for the sun, and Isabel hopes that the new baby will be a girl, Dalbich, named for the moon, so that both her sister’s children will carry brightness with them.

 

Sighing, she reaches for the next object, an old blue vase. Her fingers meet crumpled paper instead and her face crinkles in confusion. Isabel unfolds the old yellow parchment carefully and read the words that inked on in a flowing script:

 

Here be angels, of dark and shadow

Here be the moon-named, of light and song

But come the day when the moon meets the shadow

Then the pair will fly

To the dark of the moon...

 

Isabel clutches the prophecy to her chest. She knows nearly nothing about such things as prophecies, only that they will be fulfilled, no matter how many eons may pass.

 

The child will be a girl, then.

 

Isabel will protect her.