I'm Home

Convenient Encounter (HIATUS)

Soft footsteps were approaching the room. I sat with my heart in my hands, almost breaking my face with the large smile I had glued on my face. The footsteps grew louder and louder until I heard my brother scream my name.

“[Name]-noona!” he squealed, before tackling me in a hug. His brown hair brushed against my face as I laughed along with him. “You’re back!” he exclaimed.

“Yup, came back this morning!” I tousled up his hair. He broke out of the hug and sheepishly smile at me.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” he pouted.

“It was a surprise.” I shrugged. Too bad that was a clear-cut lie that he could identify right away.

“Liar! I heard you talking on the phone to mom yesterday!” he giggled mischievously. So this little midget was merely baiting me.

“Wow, how mean, Lee Jungwoo! How dare you eavesdrop!” I , before poking his shoulder.

He only grinned before taking a seat on our family’s cream couch.

“Guess what?” he suddenly changed the topic. I looked over at him, eyes questioning.

“I’m going to graduate in two years, y’know! I won’t be the little kid next to you all the time now! I’ll be in middle school, almost catching up to you!” he mused. I laughed.

“Y’know,” I mocked, “I came back to Korea for my senior year and to enter college here! You’ll get to middle, and I’ll get into college. You won’t be catching up so soon!”

He paused for a moment, thinking, before scowling at me.  “You’re evil!” he mumbled, sulking. I could only laugh.

“I’ll always be here for your challenges though.” His eyes widened, before looking down at his feet, giddy.

“You mean you’re going to stay?”

“Dang it, Jungwoo, did you even listen to a word I said? I’ll be attending college here!” I sighed.

He laughed, before clutching onto my arm. “What are you going to be?”

I shrugged. I was so unprepared, and I wasn’t even going to deny it. It was already senior year, the ‘hell year’ considered in Korea. I don’t even know why I came back, but one thing was clear, I really wanted to see my brother and mother. 

My parents were divorced, my dad living in America with me, and my mom living in Korea with my brother. My dad was the rich one, therefore he took me to Americas to pay for a high education. I failed him a couple of times, leading to great disappointment. I wanted to come back to Korea to show him I could do it, it’s just that I couldn’t focus in America as well as my homeland Korea.

My dad recently got remarried to some lady, giving all the attention to her children to earn their favor in him. Tired of his actions, I decided to go back to Korea to complete my education. He stopped me at first, telling me I was too young to travel back by myself, but I convinced him by telling him that I was of legal age in America.

That’s how I ended here, waiting with my brother in our house for our mom. To be honest, my mom doesn’t even know I’m here. I told her I was coming soon yesterday, but not that soon, as in two days. She’ll probably have a heart attack once she sees me…

“NOONA!”

I jumped, clutching my chest, looking at Jungwoo in surprise. “What in the world?” I stuttered.

He pouted, then laughed.

“You’re still the same as ever! Always dazing off and then reacting in such huge ways.” He giggled. I glared at him playfully.

“Yah, you little brat!” I grumbled, before I tackled him onto the couch, tickling him. He screamed, laughing.

At that precise moment, I heard someone close the front door, and walk into the living room.

“Oh my—“

“Ah-“

“Mom!”

I froze, while my brother jumped off of the couch and ran my mom’s arms.

“[Name]?!” she exclaimed, while hugging my brother. I haven’t seen in her 5 years, her face looking weary and tired. I couldn’t even form the words to greet her.

“Oh my goodness—“ my mom continued. Her eyes were wide, and the bags in her hands were forgotten on the floor.

What was I supposed to say to her? Dammit, I should’ve planned this out more carefully.

“Hey, mom.” I muttered sheepishly, standing up from my seat. I rubbed the back of my head, smiling nervously at her.

I walked towards her, wondering why I felt so awkward.

There was a silence as I stopped in front of her.

“I’m home.” I said, watching my mother’s reaction. She paused, tears evident in her eyes, before she opened to say something.

I waited.

“You…”

My eyes lit up in anticipation.

“…You little piece of crud, get here you!” My mom suddenly shouted, catching me in a headlock. I wheezed.

“MOTHER—“

“Whoa, mom!?” my brother exclaimed.

“How dare you just decide to drop by without saying anything!?” she shrieked. I fumbled speak.

“W-well, I did say I was going to stop by soon—“

“You little—“

“M-mom!” I spluttered, before struggling out of her grip. I hesitantly laughed, before scratching my head. “Sorry, I came so unexpect—“

“Aigoo…” she muttered, before grabbing me into a hug. She stayed like that for a moment and patted me on the back, before turning on me.

“Enough with this chit-chat, let’s get dinner cooking.” She merely said, as she grabbed the bags she dropped earlier into the kitchen. I grinned and my brother laughed.

She hasn’t changed at all in the past 5 years. Straight forward and always strong.

That’s a relief. 

 


First chapter (more like a more detailed introduction), haha.

Thank you to those who subscribed even before the first chapter was posted!