Stranger

Convenient Encounter (HIATUS)

Today was my first day. Hair done, dressed out in comfortable, but decent clothing, I was ready to go out to my job. Time check? 9:30AM. It was a Saturday and I was ready to work all the way to midnight.

I biked to the store, greeting my boss when he waved to me. I parked my bike, and bowed correspondingly.

“Hey there new-timer,” he grinned, patting my back.

“Hello,” I responded, politely. He waved me into the store, giving me instructions right as I passed the door. He told me to beware of shop lifters, how to work the cash register, and where everything was.

“That’s pretty much it!” he clapped, grinning. He was such a jolly old man. “I also have another part-timer here, her name is Sooyoung. She’s older than you about maybe two years, so I hope you guys get along well. Let’s start working now, yes?” he told me, as he opened the door to exit the shop. “Contact me through my number if anything. Good luck!” he waved as he left. I waved, before looking over the store.

What if I fail?

I shook my head as the thought came to me.

‘Don’t be an idiot.’ I told myself. I stood at the counter for about 30 minutes, before I finally gave in a pulled out a chair.

“Damn, this store be empty as heck,” I muttered as I rested my head on my left arm on the counter.

Finally, at around 12PM, someone came in.

“Aish, those hyungs…” I heard someone mutter as the door was being pushed open. My mind, which was half awake, shook my body up as I clumsily stood up, greeting the customer.

“Welcome to SagiLee!” I manage to mutter out. The person, who was not facing me, turned around and blinked.

“Oh?” he muttered, as he stared at me. This stranger was wearing an oversized black t-shirt, ripped jeans, and a snapback. He looked like he was about 18, maybe 19? “You’re not Soo-young,” he stated.

‘Nice detective skills, Sherlock,’ I irritably thought. I dearly hoped he wasn’t some shop lifter because I can’t be dealing with that on my first day. Plus, putting me in a messed up chair for about 2 hours wasn’t any help either. My motivation to work was disappearing. There we go back to the ol’ lazy [Name]. And here I thought I could be a different person.

“Yes, I’m new here. Are you a regular customer?” I asked. The stranger nodded, and shyly gave me a smile. He’s kind of cute--- not that I should be thinking that.

“I haven’t seen anyone but Sooyoung and Gramps here since I came here. Yeah, I work, well, train in the YG building. I’m a trainee and I visit often. I don’t suppose you know me, right? Unless you’re a fan…” he quietly added the last part.

I shook my head.

“Sorry, I don’t know anything about YG or their trainees…” I apologized. He laughed, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

“That’s fine, I was just wondering. Most girls try to work here have an intent to see the BIGBANG hyungnims or 2NE1 noonims,” he pondered, “What’s your name? I come here a lot, so we might bump into each other often.”

“I’m [Name],” I pointed to my nametag. His ears turned red.

“Sorry, I didn’t see it—“ he began to apologize, before I stopped him with a laugh.

“Nah, it’s cool.” I said casually. Oh shoot. Big mistake. In Korea, you’re supposed to speak politely until you get closer to speak casually. “I mean, no, it’s okay. I kind of just—sorry.” I finished lamely.

He gave me a sheepish smile before asking, “Are you from Korea?”

“Lived in America most of my life, so I’m sorry if I come out a bit rude. It’s hard to adjust to the super polite Korean structure…” I confessed. He nodded, before stepping into one of the isles, specifically the energy drinks isle. He grabbed about 9 before coming to the counter.

“I’m Kim Hanbin. You can address me casually if you’d like.” he said out of the blue. I blinked.

“Nice to meet you, errr—Hanbin. You can address me casually too, if that makes it fair.” I said, as I scanned his drinks. I placed them in a black bag and he handed me the money for it.

“Thank you for shopping at Sagilee’s.”

“Thank you,” he replied, before leaving the store quietly.

Strange, but friendly guy.