Final

Doppelgängers

Jongdae was so ready to save the Word Document and get the hell out of the office. It was already pretty late in the day, the only people left were his normal rowdy coworkers who, for some unfathomable reason, liked to stay back. As he read through the proposal once again, Jongdae thanked every god out there that there it was finally done as he saved the file. 

While he attached the file and wrote out a prompt email to his supervisor, he heard his name being called out by a low voice. He can guess that it’s Chanyeol. Jongdae doesn’t respond until he’s sent the email and shut down. Grabbing his blazer that’s hanging on the back of his chair as he stands, Jongdae lets his eyes scan over the floor, looking for Chanyeol. 

 

“Jongdae!” 

 

Luhan’s perky smile appears from behind the cubicle wall and Jongdae almost gets a heart attack.

 

“Jesus Christ, Luhan!”

 

The older rolls his eyes and he removes himself from the cubicle and moves to stand in front of Jongdae. Casually, Luhan lifts his hands and fixes Jongdae’s crooked tie before pulling on it, loosening the tie around his neck. He continues by ing the first 2 buttons of Jongdae’s dress shirt and presses his palms down flat on the lapels, making Jongdae look like the picture boy for y office boy. 

 

“Um, Luhan. You know I think you’re pretty attractive but uh… What do you think you’re doing?”

 

Almost like the answer is obvious, Luhan laughs and gives Jongdae a harsh pat on his chest. 

 

“You’re such a dummy Jongdae! You know I have a boyfriend, plus it’s not like I find you attractive enough to cheat on him. Anyways, me and the rest of the guys are going to this club a few blocks down and we were wondering if you wanted to join? Seeing as how you’re already dressed for the part.” 

 

Luhan smirked with his last sentence, giving Jongdae an obvious once- over. Jongdae gave Luhan his best annoyed expression, before he knocked Luhan’s hands away from him and pulled on his blazer.

 

“I have better things to do than screw around with you guys.”

 

“Ouch, that hurt.”

 

Despite what he had said, Luhan was still smiling. Just then, Sehun, their new receptionist with fluffy hair and a devilishly handsome face appeared from behind Luhan.

 

“You should come. I’ve been there, and trust me, there is some serious eye candy.” 

 

Then Jongdae remembered that he hadn’t yet to tell his colleagues about the recent addition to his life. Just a few weeks ago, he had met and started dating Zhang Yixing, a seriously charming and handsome man- definitely what Jongdae would consider eye- candy- who’d moved in next door. In short, Jongdae hadn’t told his so- called friends that he had no need to ogle at other eye candy anymore. 

 

“Not tonight, Sehun. I’m not interested in looking at eye candy anyways.”

 

Luhan scoffed.

 

“That’s not what you said last month when that intern joined the financial department.” 

 

That was before Yixing. Besides, in comparison to his almost- boyfriend, Jongin was not that handsome at all. Mostly. 

 

“Yeah, well, things change, Luhan.” 

 

Luhan made a face at the way Jongdae practically bit his name out. But before the oldest of the three could reply, Baekhyun yelled from the other side of the office. 

 

“Aw, take that stick out from your and have some fun, Jongdae!” 

 

The rest of the office sniggered as Chanyeol elbowed his boyfriend for being rude. 

 

“You don’t have to come if you don’t want to, Jongdae. Don’t worry about it.” 

 

“Chanyeol, shut up. No, Jongdae, you have to come!” 

 

It was after a lot of arguments and some half- hearted escape plans that Jongdae found himself walking into the club Luhan had mentioned earlier. Turns out Luhan’s boyfriend owned the club and they only had to show Luhan’s pretty face before they were allowed to walk straight in without lining up. 

The whole room was filled with people and it seemed that the club was nicely designed to give dancers space to actually move. There were only tables way at the back of the club, and 2 bars at two complete ends of the room. There were raised dais where one or two people were dancing with more skill than the whole club put together, and the music that was pumped out of the speakers was actually decent. 

His friends- if he really wanted to call them that- pulled him along until they reached a booth at the back, by the air- conditioning. 

 

“Minseokkie is going to be here soon, so you guys can either sit tight and meet my wonderful boyfriend for the first time or you guys can go along and go at it like rabbits on the dance floor.” 

 

Luhan eyed some of the couples who looked like they were just about ready to have right on the dance floor. The amount of grinding some people incorporated into dancing made Jongdae wonder how either of the partners could still remain standing. 

 

Jongdae had already had the pleasure of meeting Minseok. He was a nice- enough guy, who invested in a lot of things and actually had a lot of money for his image of well- to- do salary man. Oddly enough, Jongdae thought they made a pretty good pair, despite Luhan’s occasional bouts of insanity. 

Sitting down, Jongdae pulled his phone out from the chest pocket of his blazer. There were no missed calls but there were a few new messages. Still in the early stages of a relationship, Jongdae let the smile spread on his face as he unlocked his phone and read Yixing’s messages.

The Chinese man had texted him several paragraphs of how his day went in several different messages, ending his last message with a cute “I hope your day went well, lets have lunch together tomorrow.”. 

Jongdae quickly began replying to each message, cringing at himself but not having the heart to backspace when he wrote something especially cheesy. 

 

It was during one of those days, where Jongdae felt like he was going to pass out before he even reached his apartment, let alone his bedroom. It was after a long overtime at work- no thanks to Luhan, who had decided to call in sick- and it was nearly 11 in the afternoon the next day when Jongdae dragged himself into the elevator. It was a Saturday and Jongdae was planning on hibernating until Monday rolled back around.

He had just pressed the button to close the doors when a loud shout made him cringe and a pale hand stuck its way through the two doors. The doors reopened and behind them stood a man definitely taller than Jongdae, and definitely not Korean. He had pretty black- brown hair that dipped into his eyes slightly and dimples as he smiled. He carried several boxes piled atop each other with one hand, seemingly nonchalantly while he pressed the button for the 5th floor, Jongdae’s floor. 

His nearly comatose mind made Jongdae feel a little paranoid. How did the man know where he lived? Of course, it never occurred to him that the foreign man might be living on the same floor. 

 

“How are you today?” 

 

The formal and slightly accented voice of the foreigner startled Jongdae out of his insane judgements. He turned to look at the other man, who was almost half a head taller than him and was lithely built. He wore a sky- blue button up with a white- stripped collar and pressed cargo shorts. The moccasins he had on only further admonished Jongdae’s initial impression of the man- he was a hired assassin that was out to kill Jongdae for whatever reason. Still, his foggy mind had the decency to reply. 

 

“Like death.” 

 

Jongdae had replied only when they reached the 5th floor, the other man stepping out first. When Jongdae slowly shuffled out of the elevator, only then did the foreigner show a slight hint of emotion. 

 

“Are we neighbours?”

 

He accented all the wrong syllables and the dimple that showed when he smiled was rather distracting but Jongdae still managed to understand and reply coherently. 

 

“Are you moving onto this floor?” 

 

A happy nod and a wider smile only further piqued the growing curiosity for the other man in Jongdae, who only replied with a dumb smile and offered to help with the moving, even though he looked as if he was about to drop dead any second. 

 

“I’m Yixing.” 

 

And Jongdae found out that he was one of those photography types that he had never really understood, nor cared about. Yixing was the new “imported”- as Yixing had called himself- photographer for some editorial magazine Jongdae briefly recognised the name of but couldn’t place. 

 

Since then, Jongdae had offered to show Yixing around Seoul, showing him how the different systems of public transport worked, where to eat, where definitely not to eat and which route was the fastest to get to his office. They both worked pretty close to their apartment, a blessing for both as sometimes they could have lunch together. Although they could act like it, they definitely weren’t friends. Yixing’s dimples were too endearing, his eyes too captivating and his voice much too melodious to just be a friend. 

 

They had shared their first kiss a few weeks after they’d met, when Jongdae had just walked Yixing right to his doorstep. Jongdae had sheepishly stuffed his hands into the shallow pockets of his dress pants as he bid Yixing goodnight and was about to turn, almost blushing from just the attractiveness of Yixing when the man called him back. Jongdae had turned and Yixing had stepped forward to plant a firm kiss on Jongdae’s lips. 

It was a simple peck, just lip- on- lip contact but it was enough for both men to establish a more- than- friends relationship. Since then, they had shared deeper kisses though that was all. They hadn’t addressed each other as their respective partners but both seemed to understand that they were pretty much in a relationship. 

 

A hard nudge into Jongdae’s side made the man grunt and pocket his phone as he looked up into the sparkly eyes of Baekhyun. 

 

“So, Jongdae, got a new beau, do we?” 

 

Jongdae had only cleared his throat, before he decided to change the topic. 

 

“Oh, look, is that Chanyeol checking out one of the dancers on the dais?” 

 

The mousey man had immediately turned away, sliding out of his seat and leaving Jongdae as quickly as he had come. Mentally chuckling at Baekhyun’s possessiveness and gullibility, Jongdae decided to get up and order a drink, though he wasn’t going to dance. He was only going to order a coke. 

With Yixing living next door, he didn’t want the other to see him - faced drunk and stumbling home. Plus, he had work tomorrow. 

 

As Jongdae leaned against the edge of the bar, he simply smiled at passing club- goers as they lifted an eyebrow at his solitariness. They took his polite smile as rejections and carried on their way while Jongdae waited for his drink. It was a busy club and he knew Minseok could probably live his life off the profits of this place alone. He was just surveying the people around him, the amount of empty glasses on the bar which the bartenders struggled to clear, and the random dancers on the dais. There were a total of 4 dais situated evenly throughout the floor of the club. 

 

Jongdae was currently a few metres away from one, the same one he’d sent Baekhyun running to earlier. He noticed that there was a rather tall individual on the dais,  and the way he moved made Jongdae unable to tear his gaze away. The song was currently a fast one, the type commonly played at clubs and targeted to make the audience dance. And damn was the dancer dancing. Jongdae had little knowledge about dancing but if he had to take a guess at what type of dance it was, he would describe it as hip- hop or maybe street? 

The point was the dancer was practically on fire and Jongdae needed to get his drink soon or he would burn up. But even after the bartender had tapped his shoulder, Jongdae couldn’t look away. He wasn’t dancing sensually or smoothly like some of the other performers but something about the way his feet slid on the floor, the way he just followed the beat of the song made Jongdae feel like asking him out. 

 

That was when he hit himself. He was currently in a relationship with Yixing- sort of- how could he think like this? Jongdae thought he was a pretty loyal guy but obviously he’d been wrong. But then again, he was just looking, he wasn’t going to do anything. That’s right, Jongdae thought as he picked up his drink and left some bills on the counter. However even as he sipped his cola, his eyes only drifted back to the dancer. The song had changed and now Jongdae realised he was showing his face more. 

The song seemed to reach a and before Jongdae could put down his drink, the dancer his hips forward, a hand suggestively trailing down his navel. Jongdae dropped his glass. Then he pulled away and threw his head back as he laughed and the moment was broken. Without bothering to answer the bartender who asked if he was alright, Jongdae pushed through the massive throng of people watching the dancer as he bowed and hopped off the dais. 

 

The moment had been broken because when the dancer had thrown his head back, Jongdae could have sworn it was Yixing. But it couldn’t have been him. Yixing was sweet, quiet and a little reserved. He only spoke loudly or laughed when he was completely comfortable and Jongdae was convinced it was a doppelgänger. As convinced as he was though- which wasn’t very much, he had to admit- he still wanted to see the dancer up close. 

It just couldn’t be Yixing, but the way the dancer was dressed, in a loose white button- up and faded fitting jeans was an outfit Jongdae was familiar with. Standing on the tips of his toes, he noticed the dancer shake hands with the next performer before picking up a very recognisable letter jacket. 

 

Jongdae must be hallucinating. Yixing was a photographer who liked to take portraits of people in their quiet moments, he liked to eat in the comfort of their own homes, he listened to soft music suited for OSTs to cute rom- com dramas. He wasn’t some club- going, amazing- at- dancing, y performer. 

But once he had tailed the dancer all the way to the staff- only rooms, he was still sure it was Yixing yet at the same time certain it wasn’t. His hair was the exact same shade of black- brown and the way he walked was alike. 

 

Deciding to just forget about it, since Jongdae was probably just hallucinating from the stress of work, he headed back to his table. 

Most of his friends were seated, with the exception of one or two who were out dancing. Baekhyun and Sehun were both absent from the table but it didn’t seem to make their group any quieter. As Jongdae sat down, Luhan looked away from Minseok. 

 

“Jongdae! I thought you left!” 

 

Jongdae only gave a small smile before he shook his head. He should probably be heading home, then call Yixing. He would probably find the Chinese man answering while sitting in bed, going through his photos on his laptop and ready to sleep. 

 

“Oh my god guysdidyousee that superamazinglyhot dancer on that platform thingy near the table?”

 

Jongdae knew he was talking about the dancer who looked like Yixing.

Sehun was the first one back, with Baekhyun trailing behind. They both looked exceptionally warm and Sehun had even opened up the first few buttons of his shirt. All of them had gotten used to the way Sehun sometimes mumbled or his lisp so they caught most of his words. 

 

“Crap, tell me about it! If I didn’t have Minseokkie over here, I would so tap that.” 

 

Jongdae froze. Luhan giggled at Minseok’s wry expression before he gave him a big kiss. The table groaned while Sehun laughed and pushed Jongdae further into the seats so he could sit down. He knew that the dancer wasn’t Yixing, so why was he getting jealous? The table continued to buzz with the other eye- candy they’d seen tonight, mostly circulating and returning to the dancer on the dais. 

 

He had to call Yixing. 

 

“Hey, guys? I’m gonna head home, okay?” 

 

Groans and objections immediately erupted from the table but nobody really tried to fight him. They all knew that if he wanted to go home, he couldn’t be persuaded to stay. 

 

Standing outside the club and waiting for a taxi to round the corner so he could flag it down, Jongdae buttoned up his shirt and fixed his tie. He shrugged on his blazer then decided he would give Yixing a call now. It was just so amazing to have seen that doppelgänger, he was sure Yixing would be amused. If it wasn’t actually him. But it wasn’t. Yixing wasn’t like that. 

 

He counted 4 rings before he heard Yixing’s voice come through.

 

“Hey.” 

 

It was simple and usually Jongdae would feel so amazingly happy at just hearing his voice, like he’d just been given a shot of dopamine. But tonight, Jongdae could have sworn he could hear the muffled strains of the same song playing in the club as he had left. Pushing away his paranoia, he jumped straight to the point. 

 

“Hey. Listen Yixing, you won’t believe what I just saw, and where!” 

 

He heard a chuckle on the other line and just as Jongdae was about to relax and imagine the other man safely tucked into bed, he heard a yell of excitement in the background. 

 

“What was that?”

 

Yixing hmmed. 

 

“I’m not at home right now, a couple of other photographers dragged me out to this club. Can you believe it?” 

 

No, Jongdae couldn’t. 

 

“Yeah? What club?” 

 

A taxi zoomed past and Jongdae only turned around to stare at the brightly lit name of the club, blatantly ignoring the long line full of impatient club- goers. Club Answer.

 

“Club Answer. Why, do you want to come too?”

 

Jongdae could swear he felt his heart stop. 

 

“Um no. I just. Do you dance?” 

 

There were more yells and shrieks of laughter and Jongdae could tell Yixing was trying to contain his laughter too. The background music got louder and Jongdae surmised that Yixing had probably left whatever quiet corner he had retreated to, to answer Jongdae’s call. 

 

“Yeah, a little. Nothing too impressive, really.”

 

Are you sure. 

 

“Oh. Well. What are you wearing tonight?”

 

There was a snort before Yixing replied. 

 

“I didn’t know you were that type of person, Kim Jongdae.” 

 

“That’s not what I mean-”

 

“I’m wearing a white button up and faded jeans, plus my trusty old letter jacket. Why?”

 

At this point, Jongdae knew there was no denying it. The dancer on the dais was Yixing. And Jongdae didn’t know how to react at all. The dancer had been teasing, outgoing- well you had to be, to be dancing on the dais- and surprisingly y.  It was quite the opposite of Yixing. 

 

“Actually I’m right outside Club Answer.”

 

The background noise on the other line quietened down and Jongdae guessed he left or something. 

 

“Turn around, then.” 

 

Jongdae was almost scared to turn around. In a split second, he had imagined Yixing was some ex- psychopathic serial murderer and was wielding a massive cleaver above his head, ready to bring it down and- 

 

“You should have told me you were here! I would have come and met you earlier.” 

 

And there, in all his glory, was Zhang Yixing. He looked really y, with his button up shirt ed a few buttons and untucked from his faded jeans. His hair was a mess and for the first time since they had met, Jongdae felt like completely ravishing Yixing. 

 

“I saw you. Dance, I mean. In the club.” 

 

Yixing dropped his gaze from Jongdae’s and raised his hands to cover his face slightly. Jongdae had never seen Yixing blush but this was his equivalent to blushing, and where Jongdae used to think it was cute and where he had an instinct to protect Yixing forever, he now thought it was the iest move Yixing could possibly pull and he could barely contain himself. 

 

“Oh. My. God. It was a dare and oh my god I can’t believe you saw ugh-“ 

 

Jongdae peeled Yixing’s hands away from his face and watched as Yixing looked up, wide- eyed at Jongdae. 

 

“You were really, really, ing hot.” 

 

Jongdae almost laughed at how Yixing’s eyes seemed to bulge. Then he noticed that there was a sort of pink colouring around Yixing’s cheekbones. Was it the lighting or was Yixing actually blushing?

 

Yixing only responded with a light kiss before freeing his hands and wrapping them around Jongdae’s waist. 

 

“I’m glad you liked it. I didn’t tell you that I was a dancer before I was a photographer, but I was.” 

 

Jongdae laughed.

 

“I have to say, I never expected it. I was really trying to convince myself that it wasn’t you and that it was just a doppelgänger. But I can’t believe it’s you.” 

 

They continued to chat with one of Yixing’s arm around Jondgae’s waist and with one of Jongdae’s arm around Yixing’s shoulder. They were waiting for a cab and Yixing was glad to finally be able to tell Jongdae about his interest in dancing. Jongdae had just spotted a cab turning the corner when what sounded like a crowd of 20 people burst through the club doors. 

Yixing turned towards the burst of sound first, as Jongdae stepped away and got ready to reach a hand out to hail the cab. 

 

“Jongdae!”

 

At the sound of the gleeful cry, Jongdae turned around. Yixing seemed to gravitate back towards Jongdae, dropping a hand to hold his. 

 

Luhan immediately singled in on the joined hands, his eyes lighting up and his smile almost eating his face. Minseok was by his side, grinning as he realised what his boyfriend was staring at. Jongdae’s other colleagues started to wolf- whistle and say a bunch of embarrassing things as Jongdae buried his head into Yixing’s shoulder.

 

“Do you know them?”

 

Yixing had asked in a very quiet voice but somehow Baekhyun had heard and from where he stood, with his hand tucked snugly into Chanyeol’s back pockets, said: 

 

“Honey, we’re his only friends!” 

 

Jongdae lifted his head to scowl at the shorter man.

 

“They’re my colleagues.”

 

“Kim Jongdae I can’t believe you’re taking someone home from the club and without telling us! Oh my go-“

 

Luhan had pretty much shouted and Jongdae tried to ignore the people waiting in line turning to face them, wondering where the loud noise was coming from. 

 

“I didn’t pick him up, Luhan, don’t be so gross. He’s my… boyfriend.” 

 

Yixing had squeezed his hand in response and Jongdae didn’t have to look at his face to know that Yixing was probably smiling adorably from being introduced as Jongdae’s boyfriend. In turn, it made him smile just from thinking about it. 

 

“You had a boyfriend this whole time and you never told us? I could cry at how fast my baby is growing up, Minseokkie, hold me.” 

 

Luhan was amazingly dramatic and Jongdae rolled his eyes. Just then a cab seemed to appear out of nowhere, and Yixing hailed it down. 

 

“Minseok, control your man. I’ll be seeing you guys in the office tomorrow, okay?” 

 

There were more cries and hollers as the couple got into the car. Jongdae buried his face into his hands, wondering what he had ever done to have Yixing meet his insane colleagues- friends- so soon into their relationship.

 

“You’re really my boyfriend?” 

 

Jongdae lifted his face and turned to face Yixing. He could barely see the Chinese man’s face but he was sure that he was smiling and he was very sure that he looked impeccable right in that moment. Jongdae lifted his head to kiss Yixing’s cheek lightly. 

 

“Of course you are, and you are mine, right?” 

 

“Definitely.”