Final

Baby

Seunghyun had just exited the bathroom when he heard the baby cry. He turned into the nursery instead of his bedroom, and the dimmer switch. He peeked into the crib to see Joo-hyun, his little perfect love, awake and sobbing.

 

“Shh, little angel, Daddy's here,” Seunghyun cooed, scooping Joo-hyun into his arms. Her cries softened into whimpers as she buried her face in his neck.

 

Seunghyun carried her to the changing table, making a face as he lay her down. “Is that for me?” he asked softly, pulling off her dirty diapers. “Baby give such smelly presents.” Seunghyun made a face, tossing the old diaper for a new one.

 

 

 

Once clean and re-dressed, Joo-hyun was still fussy, so Seunghyun figured a bottle was in order. Jiyong hadn't come in- probably slept right through Joo-hyun's cries. Seunghyun didn't mind. Jiyong had been so exhausted with caring for Joo-hyun that Seunghyun had no problem letting his husband sleep. Seunghyun padded into the kitchen to fish a bottle out of the fridge. Joo-hyun's cries had stopped, probably knowing her bottle was coming. They sat at the table, Seunghyun staring at his perfect daughter.

 

 

The fact that he and Jiyong were able to create something so stunning and perfect and whole was just beyond him. Those first few hours after Joo-hyun were born, Seunghyun would stare at his daughter, then stare at his passed out husband, then back to Joo-hyun, then back to Jiyong, simply amazed that this small living person had come from the person he loved most. Joo-hyun's sighs brought Seunghyun back to the present. He loved these moments- just the two of them.

 

 

The bottle finished, Seunghyun carried Joo-hyun back into her bedroom and flipped on the iPod dock. Soft classical music filled the room, and Seunghyun swayed with Joo-hyun. He gently rocked as he moved in circles, not even stopping when he spotted Jiyong in the doorway.

 

“Hi,” Seunghyun whispered, holding a hand out to Jiyong. “Did we wake you?”

 

Jiyong smiled and took Seunghyun's hand. “Not at all,” he whispered. “I just woke up to an empty bed. I guess I'm just used to getting up with her at this time.”

Jiyong wrapped one arm around Seunghyun, resting his head on his shoulder. The other hand he placed on Joo-Hyun's back, right below his husband's. They stayed like that, slow rocking back and forth, wrapped up in each other and their new, perfect love.