Baby, It's Cold Outside

Winter Wonderland

It was days before Christmas Eve as Tiffany breathed heavily and rushed through the snow-filled streets, holding her scarf past to escape the cold.

"Ugh, of all days to be stuck outside..." The redhead groaned. Snow fell all around her as she searched for a way out of the storm that kept trying to blowing her off course. Her eyes scanned the street in front of her until she saw blinking Christmas lights nearby, indicating the only sign of civilation around, it seemed.

Oh, thank god. Tiffany cheered as she hurriedly made her way to the building. The bell on the door jingled as she pushed it open and scooted her way inside as quickly as possible. She forced the door closed to keep the cold wind from following her inside.

Tiffany took a deep breath as warm air enveloped her almost instantly. She looked up to see that she had entered a cute little cafe, with cute lights hanging all around and Christmas music playing that gave a warm, cheery sort of feeling. There were only a few people in there, including one couple, that Tiffany could only guess were also taking refuge from the outside.

A soft voice broke the quietness of the cafe. "Hi, miss, how can I--" Tiffany looked up to see a brunete worker at the counter, now staring at her. Tiffany raised her eyebrows and smiled, "Excuse me?"

"Oh," The brunette blinked and returned a smile, "Would you like a drink?"

Tiffany sighed happily and nodded, "Yes, please." Tiffany sat down at a table near the counter and just watched as the worker began to fix her drink. She squinted her eyes and found the nametag that hung on the worker's shirt.

Jessica.

Tiffany smiled and rested her cheek on her fist. That's a nice name. 

 

"Here's your drink." Jessica brought Tiffany's drink and set it on the table. Tiffany looked up at her and smiled widely. "Thank you," She nodded. As Tiffany reached into her bag to get her money out, a hand stopped her.

"You don't have to pay." Jessica smiled with a twinkle in her eyes. Tiffany raised her eyebrows and tilted her head, "Why not?"

Jessica shrugged and casually took a seat with the redhead. "It's the first snow of the year, it's a storm, and I thought you might need a refreshment."

"Thank you," Tiffany hummed with content as she held the warm beverage in her hands. Jessica looked at her and crossed her arms. "What's your name?" She asked curiously. Tiffany let a smile cross her face and she met eyes with Jessica. "Tiffany," She stated, "And you must be Jessica?"

Jessica furrowed her eyebrows and leaned back some. "How did you know that?"

"Nametags work wonders." Tiffany gestured toward said tag with a grin and bit back a laugh. Tiffany could see a certain shade of pink make its way to Jessica's cheeks, but the other girl cracked a smile and nodded.

"Well, Tiffany," Jessica mocked with a smug smile, "It's a good thing you found the cafe before you turned into talking snowman like Olaf or something."

Tiffany let out a laugh and shook her head. "I know, right? I can't stay for long, though." She said as she played with the handle on her mug. Jessica cocked her head to the side and furrowed her brows, "But it's cold outside."

"I've got to go meet my famiy and friends somewhere," Tiffany shrugged with a small smile. "Although," She sighed, "It doesn't seem like I could go anywhere."

"Seems a litte too cold to go anywhere, anyway." Jessica said nonchalantly while leaning back in her chair. And for whatever reason, with every word that came from Jessica's mouth, Tiffany couldn't help but beam a smile at her. 

"This evening has been very nice, though." She hummed softly, "This cafe is calming and warm."

Jessica took a breath and leaned forward in her chair, "Good thing too," She added as she softly took Tiffany's hand, "Your hands are like ice."

Tiffany's cheeks quickly shaded pink as she held in her urge to squeal. A loud thud was heard outside suddenly, and the storm was still high and loud outside as both girls looked out the front window. A large clump of snow had fallen from the rooftop and in front of the door.

"My friends are probably worried." Tiffany murmured. Jessica nodded, "Mine too. My shift was out an hour ago." Tiffany looked at her and let out a laugh that brought a smile to Jessica's face.

"What's your hurry?" Jessica questioned. 

"I have an early Christmas party to get to. The snow kinda threw off my whole schedule." Tiffany smiled and slowly began to stand, "I think I should go now before the storm gets any worse."

"No, don't go," Tiffany felt a gentle tug on her hand as she stood, "I doubt the storm could get any worse than it is." Jessica informed as she looked up at the redhead.

Tiffany hid behind her hair so the other girl couldn't see the smile she had on her face. "Maybe I'll just finish my drink." Jessica let out a small breath and smiled, "Okay."

Tiffany sat back down and began to sip at her mug while still conversing with the brunette in front of her.

"Hey, what's in this drink?" Tiffany asked with an intrigued look on her face. Jessica furrowed her eyebrows and pulled back, "It's a caramel coffee. Sorry, do you not like caramel?"

"No, I do!" Tiffany interrupted with a nod. Jessica raised her eyebrows and chuckled, "Good, I do too."

Tiffany stared at Jessica with wonder in her eyes and sighed to herself. From just sitting and talking to her, she's felt like she's known her for so long already. And the longer she observed Jessica, the less flaws she seemed to notice.

What kind of spell do you have on me? Tiffany asked herself.

"Tiffany?"

"....."

"....Tiffany?" 

"O-oh!" Tiffany snapped out of her thoughts and shook her head, "Sorry. Yes?"

Jessica laughed and gestured to Tiffany's head, "I said your hair looks really nice."

"Oh," Another smile crossed Tiffany's face, "Thank you." She squinted her eyes at Jessica and smirked, "Maybe I should've said 'no' to spending time with a sweet-talker like yourself." She joked and mimicked Jessica's pose of crossing her arms. Jessica only shrugged and scooted her chair closer, "I'm just full of charm."

"Well, since I'm already late, I'll just say that I tried to make it on time before the storm hit."

"Aw, you'd hurt my pride like that?" Jessica frowned with a fake cry and then a chuckle. Tiffany shook her head with a grin, "But I really can't stay."

"It's too cold outside to go anywhere. I think it's lucky that you decided to drop in on my boring shift." 

"It was more of a forced action rather than a decision," Tiffany chimed, "But I'm glad I dropped in."

Jessica diverted her eyes for less than a second and whistled. "Look out the window. Man, this storm is terrible." Tiffany followed her gaze and gasped in the same manner before taing a sip of her warm coffee.

"I've got to get home.." Tiffany groaned. Jessica shook her head in disbelief, "But you'll freeze out there."

"Would you lend me a coat?" Tiffany teased and crinkled her nose. "Well, I would," Jessica shrugged happily, "But if I did, then you'd be able to leave. Y'know, if the snow wasn't all the way up to your knees." Jessica peeked down and furrowed her eyebrows. "Oh, nevermind, that wouldn't be very much snow, would it?"

Tiffany gasped and smacked Jessica's hand. "You're the same height as me!"

Jessica laughed until her stomach ached while Tiffany sat with squinted eyes and a smile that she tried to hide.

"Your company has really been great." Tiffany sighed delightedly, "But don't you see-"

Jessica pouted and tilted her head, which interrupted Tiffany's thoughts and made her go quiet. "How could you do this to me?" Jessica did her fake cry once again and earned yet another giggle from the redhead.

"People here are gonna think we're a couple." Tiffany pointed out as she scanned the near-vacant cafe, "Or, at least, that's what they'll imply."

"That's good then," Jessica blew air from her nostrils with a smile, "I can only imagine my sorrow if we weren't."

Tiffany her dry lips and shook her head, "How many smooth-talking lines do you have stored in that head of yours?"

"For you?" Jessica asked like it was the dumbest question to ask, "It's limitless." Tiffany only grinned and Jessica watched as she took out a piece of paper and a pen. Jessica wondered if she was actually writing her pick-up lines down.

The storm seemed to have calmed down in those next few minutes, from what the girls could tell.

"I had a wonderful time," Tiffany smiled as she checked the weather and stood, "But I think I really have to go now."

"What if you catch pneumonia and die?" 

"Jesus, Jessica!" Tiffany gasped and looked at her with more shock than humor. "I'm just kidding," Jessica laughed as she removed her own coat and swung it over Tiffany's shoulders, "But I'm giving you my jacket to make sure you don't."

Tiffany's cheeks warmed up as she beamed a smile towards the other girl. "How will I give your jacket back?"

"You know I work at the cafe now. So, come by soon and bring it then." Jessica replied. Tiffany looked at Jessica and pulled a piece of paper from her pocket, handing it to her with a cute, eager expression.

"Or you could just call me. Then I'll remember better." She attempted to flirt back with the smooth-talker. Jessica raised an eyebrow and nodded, smiling, "That'll work."

Tiffany bit her lip and her heels, making her way to the frost-covered door slowly. Her hand was rested on the handle when Jessica's voice called out.

"Hey, Tiff."

"Yeah?"

"Be careful. It's reeaaaallly cold outside."