(end)

flight booking

 

Boarding on the A380, a stewardess welcomes the passengers. You walk straight, a little bit pressed among an old couple in front you and a hyperactive toddler behind. Irritated, you tip toe a little to find seat 18E. Three row of seats later, you squeeze into your seat and finally rests your bum.

Making yourself comfortable, you adjust the seatbelt a little loosely. You hug your little black pouch bag and exhales, waiting for the plane to settle down. The passengers are still sliding their bag into their cabins. You are admiring a young couple trying to calm their crying infant. The stewards are preparing for the flight.

Stunned by the environment around you, you barely notice a young woman muttering ‘excuse me’ to you. You scoot over, giving the pale woman some space to her pass by window seat. She plops herself and puts her handbag on her lap. She stretches her legs and look over the window.

A teenager sits on your left complaining about her flight. “How dare she send me to grandpa’s house? She thinks I’ll be better there when I’ll just be worse. Ugh, I hate her!” Terrified by the swearing teenager, you turn deaf ear and instead focuses on a stewardess explaining about their safety. You once again check your seatbelt to be sure of it being firm.

The three hour flight to Gwangju is starting to bore you. You quickly regret your decision of putting your notes in your luggage. You could’ve study them and maybe even adds some points for your new book. You look around you. A man around your age must’ve downloaded a movie and are watching what seemed to be a Johnny Depp movie. Ah, he’s clever, you say and mentally hit your head for not thinking of the same idea. The annoyed teenager beside you had cooled down and even drift away to Neverland.

Still feeling dull, you remember your chocolate that you bring in your black pouch. You were supposed to eat them when airplane is about to land. You often experience a painful ringing in your eardrums due to the air pressure difference that you always have to have a candy or chocolate to eat to reduce the pain. You your pouch and takes out the Vochelle cranberry chocolate. Tearing the end just enough to fit the small sizes of chocolate, you mums it as it melts in your mouth.

You look to your right, considering to offer the attractive woman some of your snack. You reject the idea once you see the woman engrossed in her novel. Another brilliant idea to avoid being dull on a flight. Ugh.

You try peeking over the novel’s title as she folds the novel to two. As she flips to another page, you could see the title. And the cover. And the author.

It’s Candy Scented Blood. And you are the author. You quickly feel giddy of the sight of seeing someone reading your book. You have seen people buying your book (a hard work of staying at a bookstore all day long) and you knew it was in a good sale because your publisher keeps you updated on its sale. As of now it has sold for 10 000 copies and you were quite satisfied of it.

Ironically, you are flying to Gwangju for a book signing in Kyobo Book Centre. You quickly wonder if she is flying for your event and again felt touched. You take a good look in her expression, trying to guess her feelings. You hope she is satisfied of your book. You did not accept any criticism on this book, even having a professional reviewer rating it 4.5 stars. Probably because of the lack of dark fantasy books in the Korean market, people appreciate your effort of bringing a fresh genre.

Guessing from her tensed expression, you assume that she is reading the of when Jisoo isn’t what she seemed to be. Readers must have hated you so much for fooling them from the get go. But on the other hand, that’s probably what makes your book addictive.

“, what the hell man?” the young lady murmurs under her breath. She slams close the book and let it lay on her lap. You decide to greet her. “Hey.” She looks at you. “Want some chocolate?” She nods and says thank you before taking two of it. “I sure need this. This is one hell of a book.” Mortified, you couldn’t decide whether that’s a bad comment or a tough compliment. You stay put as she mums her chocolate. “Is it a good book?” You stutter.

“Yeah, so good I almost hate it.” You are still confused. “You know how good actors play bad characters, they’re so good at acting that you hate them even though it’s just a play? Yeah that’s how I feel.” Still confused. “Oh okay.” She thanks you for the chocolate and picks up her book to continue reading from where she left.

Well, that’s the first mixed review you received.

 

You smile at the tall gentleman in front you as he skids his (your) book for you to sign. “Hi.” You greet and sign at the first page. “It’s such an honor to meet a talented young man. Your book is excellent!” You laugh, feeling thankful. “Thank you sir. Always a pleasure to hear a reader’s feedback.” The gentleman nods. “Is there going to be a sequel?” He asks. You think for moment before answering. “There will be more of the twisted tale genre from me but it’s not going to be Jisoo and Jiae.”

“Ah it’s a relief. I will support your next book.” You thank him again and ask to whom he is signing for. The gentleman answers Park Rae Him. They chat some more before he finally left.

The book signing atmosphere is quiet and calm. You felt grateful for your readers who are willing to come. As one by one of your reader greets you, you quickly recognize a lady in red shirt sitting at the far right. You smile, looking forward to the lady’s turn.

You beam when the lady greets you. The lady beams back before she recognizes you. Stunned, she said nothing. “Hey, I saw you on the plane!” you greet her brightly. She lowers her head and stutters. “Ah. Yes.” You smile. “One hell of a book yeah? “ You . She quickly responds. “Yeah but in a good way! A good hell. A heaven?” She nervously says. “Forget what I say. It’s a good book! It really is.” You look up. “And to whom I’m signing for?”

“Jiyeon. Park Jiyeon.”

“Nice name.” You smile, your single dimple showing. She blushes as she fidgets at the corner of her shirt. “Maybe you can make your next hero name Jiyeon.”

“Maybe.”

You sign her book before she left. She looks at your sign and your little note.

 

“Hi Jiyeon :)

Thank you for reading Candy Scented  Blood!

Rarely I see (live) of a reader enjoying my book.

Would love to have dinner with you sometime!

Cheers,

Your author.”