Relapse

Behind the Bathroom Door

Minah had been making excellent progress after her counselling session. She was finally back to a weight of around 120 pounds and had a healthy glow about her. Minah walked down the stairs to the kitchen where her mother had made her a healthy breakfast. A chilled glass of orange juice and a bowl of oatmeal were waiting for her on the table. Minah made a face when she saw the oatmeal and wiggled her spoon around in it. It looked so unappetizing.

 
“Minah, will you stop playing with the oatmeal and just eat it?” Her mother complained. Minah grudgingly lifted a spoonful of the lumpy food and put it in . Thankfully, it tasted much better than it looked and she shovelled it in. 
 
“Thanks for breakfast, mom! See you after school.” Minah called as she went out the door. She was running late, so she didn’t have any time to see Jungkook or Jimin in the seating area. She headed straight to her first class, which was P.E. She placed her gym bag on one of the benches in the locker room and ped it. Several of the other girls in her P.E. class were already there and in the middle of changing. Minah changed out of her jeans and into a pair of athletic shorts, then proceeded to take off her shirt.
 
“Minah, you look different…” a girl named Nana said. Minah looked down at her stomach, which was now much fuller, but still flat. “Have you gained weight?” she asked. Minah was hurt by this comment, how could someone be so insensitive?
 
“Um, not really.” Minah lied. She didn’t want anyone to know anything about her past. Nana’s comment started a whole discussion about weight.
 
“Oh my God, I gained a pound last week. I feel so fat.”
 
“Same. I weigh like 122 pounds now. Ugh”
 
Words about Minah's biggest insecurity spun around in her head. She tried to block out the other girls but it was too much- she couldn’t take it anymore. Minah dashed out of the locker room and to the nearest restroom, which just so happened to be empty. She hurried into a stall and kneeled down. Tears flowed from her eyes as she gasped for air. The pressure had finally got to her. She ed her fingers down her throught and emptied out the food she had consumed. burned as she coughed up bile. Minah tried to stand back up again, but her knees buckled beneath her. All that progress, all that work, literally went down the drain. She felt so ashamed of herself. How could she tell Jungkook and Jimin? She knew she had to, but it was so hard. Minah gathered up the courage to send Jungkook a text. She typed with shaky fingers “Meet me in the seating area, we need to talk. It’s an emergency.” Immediately after sending the text, she headed over to the meeting spot. Soon after she sat down at one of the benches, Jungkook ran in. Minah stood up.
 
“What is it?” Jungkook gasped. Minah was about to speak, but no words came out- only sobs. Jungkook wrapped his arms around her. “Minah, whats wrong?!”
 
“I did it again. I’m so sorry…” She croaked. Jungkook sighed deeply.
 
“It’s okay. I know you’re a strong girl, you can recover. You did it once already, right?” he said.
 
“Yeah…” she mumbled, wiping a few tears away.
 
“Minah, whenever you break our promise you break my heart. But thats not the point. You have to do this, for me, for Jimin, for your family, but most importantly, for yourself.” Jungkook said. Minah nodded, calming down a bit.
 
“Okay. I’ll try again."