Progress

Behind the Bathroom Door

“Minah, you know whenever you get the urge again, you can always come to me. Don’t let what those girls say get to you.” Jungkook said, looking straight into Minah’s eyes.

“Okay. Thank you for listening.” Minah said, planting a gentle kiss on Jungkook’s soft lips.

“I’m always here for you,” he said after they pulled away from each other, “but we should really get back to class. We are skipping, you know.” Jungkook laughed.

“Oh, right! Sorry, see you later!” Minah called, running back to P.E. She pushed open the door to the locker room where the last couple of girls were finishing up. Minah put on her socks and gym shoes, tied the laces, and put her hair up into a ponytail. She then exited the locker room to join the others. Being the last one out, she missed some of the explanation over what they were going to be doing in class today. “What are we doing?” Minah whispered to Nana.

“Dodgeball.” Nana answered. Finally, something Minah liked. They hadn’t played dodge ball in forever, and Minah was really good at it. Coach arranged the girls into two teams and set all the balls on the line in the middle of the gym. He explained the rules, then blew the whistle, beginning the game. Minah sprinted for the half court, but quickly realized she was lacking in energy. She stopped, trying to catch her breath, but she was having difficulty. She hobbled over to where the Coach was standing.

“Coach, I’m not feeling too well. Mind if I sit out this round?” Minah asked politely. Coach nodded, and Minah sat down on the bench taking small sips from her water bottle. After the first round had ended, Minah was feeling well enough to join the game. She didn’t have a strong throwing arm, but she was almost impossible to hit. Minah ran across the gym over and over, but nobody was able to hit her with the balls. She jumped, ducked, and swerved away from every single one. Finally, she was the last one standing.

“Woooo! Minah!” the girls cheered. Minah laughed and bowed. She hadn’t had that much fun in a long time.

                    —

A month had passed since the last time Minah broke her promise to Jungkook. Since then, she hadn’t purged herself even once. Jimin and Jungkook kept their eyes on her at all times, buying her lunches in the cafeteria and telling her to take her meds. They were like two bonus mothers.

“Minah~ I got your lunch!” Jungkook called as he set the tray on the table. He had brought her a peanut-butter sandwich, a fruit and yogurt parfait, and a bottle of water.

“Thank you, Jungkook.” Minah said with a smile, taking a big bite out of the sandwich.

“You look so much healthier now. Its amazing.” Jungkook commented. Minah blushed. If it weren’t for Jimin and Jungkook’s support, she wouldn’t be in such good condition. She would probably be hospitalized. Minah owed it all to them and her mother. Even though she was proud of herself for coming this far, she was still not quite comfortable with her body yet. She wasn’t used to the way her stomach looked; how full it was. Jungkook constantly told her she was beautiful, but she was still having a hard time believing it. Minah brushed the negative thoughts aside and tried to enjoy her time with Jimin and Jungkook at the lunch table.

“So Minah, will you come over today?” Jungkook asked with a mouth full of food.

“Yeah, I’d love to.” Minah answered, poking Jungkook in the stomach. He almost spit out his food, causing Jimin and Minah to nearly choke on their food in the midst of their laughter. The bell rang, ending their time together in the cafeteria. “See you later!” Minah called, waving them goodbye and proceeding to her next class.