i. C

Infinitely Christmas

C - Cherry


Sungjong wondered why he hated the rain.

 

There she was playing in the rain, splashing puddles here and there, not having a care in the world. While, he stuck here in a café with her annoyed little sister.

 

“Hey, don’t you think she’ll get sick?” Sungjong’s brows creased in concerned, as he kept an eye on the older girl outside. The younger girl scowled at him. “Even if she does get sick, she won’t let you stop her.”

 

The boy nodded, still watching over the girl outside. After a while, his phone suddenly rang, indicating it was time for him to leave. He bit his lips, not wanting to leave so soon. The lad then put on his coat, and tucked his phone safely into his coat’s pocket.

 

“I’ll be going now, Minhee.”

 

The younger shooed him away, as if asking him to hurry on his way. Sungjong grunted in annoyance but ignored her nonetheless. “Don’t forget to tell Minjoo noona I said goodbye.” She nodded nonchalantly, her face down still sipping her drink. Exasperated, he left the shop. He opened his umbrella, and started well on his way. All the sudden, he felt something hit his head. “You forgot your mittens simpleton!” He turned his back, and saw Minhee dashing through the rain with no umbrella. He smiled at the sight, finding a little encouragement from the sight.

 

Post%2Bdivider%2B1.png

 

“Sungjong, could you recall what exactly happened?”

 

The lad curled his fists; already impatient asked the same question over and over again. “I told you, I was running late from my part-time work at the time, and it was late at night. I heard a scream, and it was all blurry afterwards.”

 

The man before him sighed and closed the document before him. Another man in the room seems to be even more intrigued by his story.

 

“Did you hear a male or female scream?”

 

“It was a female, I’m sure of it.”

 

“Could you hear where it was coming from?”

 

The exasperated policeman now became more interested in the conversation between the two.

 

“I was sure it was from the alley second to the grocery store I worked from. I was passing through it when I heard a scream.”

“The person knew there wasn’t any CCTV there,” one of the policemen said.

 

“But the CCTVs everywhere are hidden, there’s no way that person would have a clue!”

 

“Well it’s either by luck or knowledge,” the policeman who questioned Sungjong concluded. “But, I’m betting my chances on the latter. Go and check who is knowledgeable over the CCTVs whereabouts.”

 

The other nodded and left the room immediately. Sungjong then sighed in relief, satisfied everything is finally over. The policeman who remained chuckled, and patted his back. “Having a rough day?” He nodded, putting his hand into his coat pocket. “Don’t worry son. If we catch the person after this, it’s all over.” Sungjong nodded once more, trying to smile at the very least. “Then we’ll able to know who did this to you as well.” His fists clenched once more, having felt something ignite inside of him.

 

Post%2Bdivider%2B1.png

 

Screams could be heard throughout the whole house, and that would mean only one thing. “Lee Sungjong!!” Minhee’s shrieks filled the whole house. “I’m sorry! I’m sorry!” he shouted back, trying to avoid her punches. Minjoo could only shake her head, as she continued working on her laptop. She doesn’t even want to be involved in their argument. “Why did you enter my room without permission!” she yelled. She chased him up and down the stairs, fury in her eyes. “I’m sorry! But you weren’t or anything so I don’t see anything wrong!” he accidentally spurts out. Minhee’s face fumed red, and her screams were louder.

 

“Lee Sungjong!! You ert!!!”

 

They chased each other to the patio, and Minhee nearly tripped over the stairs. The girl nearly shrieked, if not for the sudden impact she felt. She then saw Sungjong heaving her up, concern filling his eyes. The lad sniffed her cherry scent, and something inside him stirred, but he remained quiet. “Be careful! Why are you so careless?” He checked her body for any bruises or such. He saw a scar in her arm, and he got the scare of his life. “Minhee! You’re hurt!” She tried to pull back her arm, but it was firm in Sungjong’s grasp.

 

“Wait here, I’ll go grab some first aid.”

 

Sungjong hurried to the kitchen, and took the first aid kit there. He carefully dabbed some ointment on it, as she hissed with pain. He then blew to her wound, and carefully clothed her wound. He noted that the wound wasn’t new, but he did not want to ask her about it. “Be careful next time! Don’t be so reckless and – hey are you crying?” Minhee’s eyes water, as she wiped her tears away. “N-no, I’m just sweating through my eyes.” Sungjong softened at the sight, and took out his handkerchief. “Hurry and wipe your sweat, you look like a pig.” Enraged, she chased him once more, but this time only laughter and smiles filled the air.

 

Post%2Bdivider%2B1.png

 

“Sungjong! Minhee! Hurry here and stop bickering!”

 

Minhee glared at Sungjong, as he did the same to her. Minjoo sighed, massaging her temples. “What will I ever do with you two?” They said a word of prayer, before finally diving in to Minjoo’s dishes. “These are delicious noona!” Sungjong said, filled with awe. “These are your favorite food right?” she said. “How did you know?” The older smiled, patting his head. “I was told.” Sungjong brushed the topic off, continuing to enjoy his food, praising Minjoo, and bickering with Minhee.

 

The two then sat in the patio, as the older insisted that she wanted to do the dishes alone and asked the two to go and play. Minhee had to laugh a little at that. If it was Sungjong, she doesn’t think she would be able to do so. The two remained silent, gazing at the starless sky above.

 

“Hey Minhee.” The lad earned no response, so he continued on. “Why do you hate me?” Minhee seem to remain nonchalant, although Sungjong caught her eyes getting bigger in a split second. “I don’t know, maybe you’re just annoying,” she whispered. Sungjong’s eyebrows furrowed, slightly upset at her answer. “But how am I annoying?” he asked, genuinely curious. She tried to remain calm, but she was on the verge of screaming. “You just are.” She stood up, and ran upstairs.

 

Sungjong sighed, knowing very well that the girl needed space. He then felt something cool touch his cheek, and smiled seeing the older girl. “Here, drink some juice.” He whined, saying about how he’s already old, and that he wants something stronger. The older just shook her head.

 

“To me, you will always be my favorite little brother from another mother.”

 

She smiled and ruffled his hair. She drank some of her juice, unaware of Sungjong’s stares. “I guess I’ll never be pass that sibling zone.” “Did you say something Sungjong?” the older asked, unaware. “Nothing,” he forced a smile. “Thank you for the drink, noona. I’ll be going now.” “Do you want to stay over? You could sleep at the room beside Minhee’s,” she suggested. He smiled, and shook his head. “No thank you noona, thank you for the meal!” he bowed his head, and left the house. The older sighed, knowing exactly how the younger felt. “Sorry, Sungjong. But in time I’ll tell you, when you’re ready.” She gazes at the starless sky above her, and enjoys the silence of the night.

 

Post%2Bdivider%2B1.png

 

The boy groaned, snuggling his blanket closer to his ears. Hearing how his phone refuses to give up, he finally reaches out and grumbles out a “hello”. “Sungjong, we caught the criminal!” His eyes widened, sitting up straight. “But there’s something you might want to see. Come by the station quickly.” Sungjong furrows his eyebrows, but agreed nonetheless. He hangs up his phone, and an eerie feeling fills his heart. He quickly showered, and took the bus to the station.

 

“Sungjong, you’re here,” He nodded his head, and sat on the chair before the policeman, who he came to know was Mr. Kim. “We’ve caught the culprit.” He sighed in satisfaction, thankful that this was all over. “He was charged with allegations,” he looked up to him. “As well as attempted murder.” Sungjong’s eyes doubled, his head suddenly hurting.

 

“He attempted to murder you, but that wasn’t the reason I called you here.” He turned his computer screen to face him. “Apparently there was another CCTV in the opposite side of the road, which was quite recent so the culprit did not know of it. And we found this.” He pressed the play button.

 

It was late at night, and Sungjong had just finished his shift. He sighed, wanting to hurry home immediately. He said his goodbyes to Woohyun, his co-worker and was well on his way. As he was walking down the lane, he heard an agonizing scream of a woman, which halted his steps. Without any second thoughts, he quickly ran towards where he heard the scream, and saw a man trapping a woman in his arms. Sungjong suddenly realized what he was trying to do, and attempted to call the police for help. He silently stepped back as his hands were on his pocket, ready to dial the police. He accidentally kicked a can behind him, catching the attention of the criminal. Alarmed, he quickly scrambled from the scene, seeing how the man’s eyes were raging with fury. He quickly got on his feet, and dialed the police on his phone.

 

“Hello? Yes, this is L-Lee Sungjong. I’m reporting a r-r- on Gong-il Central District 5. Yes, I just saw it with my two bare eyes! Please hurry! I think he’s chasing-“ Sungjong heard an engine roar towards his direction, and he dropped his phone in shock. His eyes closed, getting ready for the impact, but he felt someone pushing him off. The scent of cherry and blood filled his nostrils, as he saw a body on top of his. She groans as she lifts her head, smiling at the slightest towards him. Sungjong’s eyes widened, it was Minhee. “Are you okay?” she croaked. Sungjong felt blood oozing out of his head, before shakily nodding. “Thank good-“ she passed out, and not long after he did too.

 

Sungjong’s head throbbed tremendously, and not long after he was lying on the floor screaming and gripping his head for his dear life. He heard people panic, and started to call for the hospital. But all he had in his head was how Minhee had blood all over body.

 

Post%2Bdivider%2B1.png

 

He slowly peeled his eyes open, awake to the smell of antiseptics and white. He groaned stirring to his right, when he felt something grip his hand. Sungjong then sniffed something close to his heart, and he immediately softened. He saw a girl with her face laid on her folded arm, and the other holding his hand. He removed her bangs from her face, and saw dry stained tears on her cheeks. Sungjong’s heart throbs as he carefully traces the dried lines. Her eyebags had sunken deeper into her pale complexion, and the rim of her eyes were red. Slowly, her eyes fluttered open to his touch, and she sees him smiling towards her.

 

She immediately faces up, straightening her hair and posture. Her eyes doubled when she saw she was still holding his hand, and tried to pull her hand away. But, Sungjong did not let go. “Please don’t let go,” Sungjong pleaded. Minhee hesitated, but nodded nevertheless. The lad sighed as he sunk back into his bed, still facing the girl. Using his free hand, he traced the scar on her right arm. The girl’s face contorted a little from the pain, which Sungjong did not fail to miss. “This was because of me right?”

 

The younger shooed him away, as if asking him to hurry on his way. Sungjong grunted in annoyance but ignored her nonetheless. “Don’t forget to tell Minjoo noona I said goodbye.” She nodded nonchalantly, her face down still sipping her drink. She was holding back her tears afraid it would be exposed. Exasperated, he left the shop. He opened his umbrella, and started well on his way. Minhee then spotted his mittens left on the table, and hurriedly dashed out the shop. All the sudden, he felt something hit his head. “You forgot your mittens simpleton!” He turned his back, and saw Minhee dashing through the rain with no umbrella. He smiled at the sight, finding a little encouragement from the sight. Minhee then turned her back watching him leave, letting the rain mask her tears.

 

“N-no, I got it because I was a little careless and slipped through the stairs, that’s all.” Sungjong stared right through her, and his grip on her hand tightened. He saw her eyebrows furrowing, and immediately caught her. “You’re lying. Why?”

 

They chased each other to the patio, and Minhee nearly tripped over the stairs. The girl nearly shrieked, if not for the sudden impact she felt. She then saw Sungjong heaving her up, concern filling his eyes. The lad sniffed her cherry scent, and something inside him stirred, but he remained quiet. Minhee felt nostalgia hitting her back, and her eyes started to moisten. “Be careful! Why are you so careless?” He checked her body for any bruises or such. He saw a scar in her arm, and he got the scare of his life. “Minhee! You’re hurt!” Minhee panicked, as she was scared he might remember about the accident, so she tried to pull back her arm. But, it was firm in Sungjong’s grasp.

 

“I’m sorry, the doctor said you might receive tremendous pain if you remember about the past. I did not want you to experience that trauma again, so I’d rather lie.” Her tears flowed down once more, as she wiped her tears of with the back of her hand. Sungjong pulled her into his embrace, letting her tears soak his shirt. “Don’t cry, don’t cry.” He could fill his own tears spilling as well, as he pulled her closer.

 

“Hey Minhee.” The lad earned no response, so he continued on. “Why do you hate me?” Minhee seem to remain nonchalant, although Sungjong caught her eyes getting bigger in a split second. Minhee never hated him, how did he get such an idea? “I don’t know, maybe you’re just annoying,” she whispered, lying. Sungjong’s eyebrows furrowed, slightly upset at her answer. The girl did not fail to miss it, but she’d rather have Sungjong to believe that lie rather than having to know how much she cared for him. “But how am I annoying?” he asked, genuinely curious. She tried to remain calm, but she was on the verge of screaming. He wasn’t annoying! He was the one she loves! “You just are.” She stood up, and ran upstairs. She quickly locked her room, not wanting anyone, especially Sungjong, to see her in her current state.

 

After she calms down, she sees Sungjong’s sad stares towards her sister, and she smiles bitterly. “At least, you’d forget about me that way.” Her heart clenches, so she quickly confines herself in her room, and spends the rest of her night in her tears.

 

The door to the ward then opens, and Minjoo steps in smiling softly at the both of them. Minhee wipes off the last of her tears, and stands up. “I’ll give you two some privacy now,” she croaks. Just as she was about to leave, Sungjong grips on to her arm making her sit, and he then asks Minjoo to be excused. The older seems (pleasantly) surprised, and she walks out of the ward.

 

“Hey, I’m giving you a chance to confess to her, why are you letting it slip by?” she bites her lip, not wanting more of her tears to spill. “I’m not letting it slip by,” he responds. Minhee’s face contorts, and she gasps when he suddenly kisses her forehead.

 

“You’re the one I love.”

 

I hope this was good and enjoy this holiday season!