8th December

25 Days of December

Taekwoon pushed open the door to the coffee shop with a trembling hand, welcoming the rush of warm, fragrant air that knocked back the icy wind swirling around him.

His eyes immediately found Wonshik behind the counter, working the till as he took customer's orders and passed them on to the other staff members. It took a while for Wonshik to notice him in the queue but, when he did, Taekwoon felt the smile spreading across Wonshik's lips warming him down to his toes.

When the time finally came for Taekwoon to make his order, Wonshik seemed to have trouble meeting his eyes.

"I finish in ten minutes. I can make us both a drink and then we can walk home together. You know. If you want to."

He looked so nervous and hopeful, as if he thought Taekwoon would be able to say no to him. Was it not painfully obvious that that was the reason Taekwoon was there?

"I'll wait," he answered and Wonshik's smile had his heart buoyant in his chest.

He moved aside and sank into an empty chair, content to watch Wonshik for the remainder of his shift, absorbing the brand of smile he displayed to the customers, the small furrow in his brow as he worked the till. Taekwoon found he was leaning his chin on his hand as he watched him, entranced. He was quick to snap out of it when Wonshik emerged from behind the counter.

"What do you want?"

"Just a hot chocolate." Taekwoon held out some money but Wonshik waved him away.

"Don't be silly. It's on me."

He gave their drinks to Taekwoon to hold once he was finished as he removed his apron and wrapped up in his coat, scarf and beanie and, when he was ready, they braved the sullen winter evening together.

Their walk home was unhurried despite the bitter weather and Taekwoon liked that Wonshik didn't feel the need to fill every silence with insipid conversation, as many people did. He just hoped that it was because Wonshik was as comfortable as he was instead of feeling that their silences were awkward.

They finished their drinks long before they reached their apartment building and by the time they got to their doors, Taekwoon was extremely hungry, though he didn't want to say goodbye. They lingered outside, Taekwoon's keys jangling as they hung from one of his fingers, but he made no move to unlock his door.

It felt to Taekwoon as if they were at the end of a date and he his lips when he realised he wouldn't mind if Wonshik were to kiss him.

Sadly, Wonshik didn't seem to have as much trouble saying his farewell but, with the promise that he'd see him tomorrow, Taekwoon didn't feel so despondent as he watched Wonshik's door shut behind him.