Final

Mistletoe Kiss Test

Woohyun always enjoyed the holiday spirit despite the fact that he never really celebrated it much. And also due to the fact he had finals in a week and his roommate was most likely going to kill the younger male for distracting him from studying.

 

Not that the Woohyun would mind that either. He had a kind of obvious crush on his roommate. Hoya, his best friend from high school would often make fun of him saying that he should just kiss him and see what happens. But he couldn’t do that, he still had a few more months on his lease! What would happen if Sunggyu refused to let him back in?

 

Despite Woohyun’s attraction to the red head who was currently looking adorable in his thick black rimmed glasses practically sleeping in his anatomy and physiology book, the elder had shown no interest when it came to romance.

 

“After I graduate. That’s when I plan to take relationships more seriously.” Sunggyu said, his fingers dancing around the rim of his coffee cup when Woohyun asked about what Sunggyu thought of dating someone.

 

It made the younger a bit discouraged at the time but in another semester Sunggyu would be graduating (hopefully the elder would add when they spoke of his graduation) and it would mean the younger had a shot soon.

 

❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅

 

“What do you think he’s going to do when you ask?” Dongwoo, a year older than both Hoya and Woohyun asked as they spent their normal saturday morning drinking coffee instead of studying like they always said they were going to.

 

“I feel like a girl.” Hoya groaned leaning back into his seat again. “Then don’t talk.” Dongwoo hushed. Dongwoo was a friend of Sunggyu’s from high school but was pretty much a walking hug machine. He quickly got along with Hoya and the four of them just seemed to click pretty well over the year and a half the four had known of each other’s existence.

 

“I don’t think I could ask him. What if I chicken out? Maybe I should just go up and kiss him?” Woohyun offered. “That’s what I said.” Hoya interjected, “A real man would take charge of the situation.” Hoya sighed. Although his best friend was completely straight and felt a little awkward when it came to Woohyun showing affection to another male he always made time to listen to Woohyun’s troubles.. Needless to say Woohyun always appreciated the effort he made.

 

“Not a good idea. He may not think of you like that.” Dongwoo shook his head taking a sip from his coffee which was mostly cream. “And who cares about real men? They are both men.” Dongwoo said with a smirk. “This is why I don’t know why I come here.” Hoya said actually pulling his music theory book from the table.

 

“Oh we must have said too much. He’s actually studying.” Dongwoo smiled with a laugh before putting his cup of coffee down as well. “We’re going to fail this final aren’t we?” Woohyun asked looking at the book. “Nah” Dongwoo shook his head opening the book once more. “Okay maybe.” The dino looking male said with a sigh.

 

❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅

 

“Back so soon?” Sunggyu asked looking up at the clock on the wall that was hanging up in the living room of their 2 bedroom apartment. It was true the younger male was back sooner than normal.

 

“Just accepting fate that I will fail this class.” Woohyun said with a sigh, his backpack falling from his lifeless shoulder with a thud making Sunggyu grimace. “Nice to see your hardworking spirit is carrying you far in life.” Sunggyu smiled removing his glasses from his face.

 

The elder was settled on the floor in front of the coffee table, papers covering most of it while his laptop and a package of cookies took up the other half. “Nice to see you are really focusing on that diet you said you wanted to start.” Woohyun smirked toeing off his shoes.

 

“I’m a stress eater!” Sunggyu whined pulling the cookies and putting them under the table away from the gaze of the younger. “I’m just kidding, hyung.” Woohyun smiled. The younger sprawled out on the couch behind the male and looked over the elder’s notes.

 

Sunggyu’s messy writing was all over the pages and even in the margins of some of the pages. “How do you even study all of that?” Woohyun asked picking up a page and looking over terms and phrases he couldn’t even begin to sound out.

 

Sunggyu was a medical major trying to be a doctor. He was hoping to look into becoming a pediatrician since, despite the fact the elder would get angry often with Woohyun, he loved working with kids. “You can’t read it?” Sunggyu asked, slipping another cookie into his mouth, not really even noticing the younger behind him.

 

“No.” Woohyun shook his head again trying to look over the page again but it only made his head hurt. “That’s because you’re stupid.” Sunggyu sent a smirk over his shoulder to tease the younger.

 

“I am not stupid!” Woohyun said throwing the page back on the table. “Oh yes, because you can’t even handle musical theory you are clearly not lacking brains.” Sunggyu laughed. “Hey some of us just sleep through boring classes okay?” Woohyun groaned leaning back on the couch.

 

Woohyun closed his eyes in mock anger. This was another reason why he was worried about confessing to the elder. Did Sunggyu really not respect his decision on wanting to be a music teacher? What if it was too beneath him for a doctor to date a mere teacher?

 

Woohyun noticed the shift in the couch and opened his eyes to see the elder staring at him curiously. “Are you really mad?” Sunggyu whispered leaning close to the male. “A little.” Woohyun lied turning to his side away from the elder. In all honestly he wasn’t mad at all. Not when Sunggyu was leaning this close to him. He just hoped the elder couldn’t hear his heart beating like crazy.

 

“I’m just playing around Woohyun. I tease you because I want you to do better.” Sunggyu pulled on his arm a bit trying to get the younger to look at him. “Who ever heard of a music teacher who didn’t even know music theory huh?” Sunggyu offered again giving him a little shake.

 

Woohyun made no move to reply and Sunggyu got mad, his patience already at an end. “Fine! Then fail and I’ll just leave you behind.” Sunggyu growled falling back down to the floor to study. “Already wasted a half hour worrying over your sorry .” Sunggyu mumbled to himself before placing his glasses back on and putting his headphones on. Now that sparked Woohyun’s interest.

 

❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅

 

“So what do you think that means?” Woohyun asked putting his coffee down on the table. Dongwoo was sitting on the edge of his seat fully following Woohyun’s story whereas Hoya already had his English book on his lap. “I think I am going to fail all of my classes.” Hoya groaned writing in his work book. All three males had finished about 2 finals that day and were already waiting for the results while studying for the last 2 classes.

 

“I think you have a chance!” Dongwoo cheered clapping his hands together in joy. “You think so?” Woohyun leaned in his seat feeling excited. If Dongwoo thinks he has a chance than maybe he does.

 

“Sunggyu hyung really only worries about himself and his studies. And we both know if his glasses are off then he is not studying.” Dongwoo said, eyes sparkling in excitement. Woohyun nodded totally believing it. “So he must have been waiting for you knowing that you were going to be home soon from studying.” Dongwoo continued.

 

“But he didn’t do anything after that.” Woohyun frowned thinking back to the other night. “Oh.” Dongwoo frowned as well sitting back in his seat. “Well tis the season. You could always mistletoe kiss test it.” Hoya offered making both males to turn and look at the otherwise quiet male.

 

“I’m sorry a what?” Woohyun asked looking at the male. “Mistletoe kiss test?” Dongwoo repeated Hoya’s words looking as perplexed as Woohyun. “You guys never heard of it?” Hoya asked making both men shake their head no.

 

“You know mistletoe right? Green leafy you hang to make people kiss you?” Hoya asked. Both of the males nodded for the youngest to continue. “Well they call it the mistletoe kiss test. Hang it up above the doorway, if you meet and he kisses you on the cheek then it’s a no go.” Hoya explained.

 

“But if he kisses you on the lips…” Hoya smiled leaving his sentence open ended. “Then he totally wants you! Oh my goodness how come I hadn’t thought of this!” Dongwoo was jumping in his seat in excitement.

 

Woohyun’s face was burning red. Sunggyu kissing him under the mistletoe? Now that really would be a Christmas miracle.

 

❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅

 

Woohyun hung up some lights around the ceiling of their living room. He was hoping maybe he could trick the elder into thinking the mistletoe was just part of the decoration and not just a ploy to get the elder to kiss him. Well he hoped.

 

Woohyun hung the mistletoe above the door into the kitchen. It was the room closest to his own so if the elder rejected him it was the easiest room to run into and hide from the elder. He was formulating the plan in his head since Dongwoo took Woohyun to the store and bought some mistletoe to hang.

 

If Sunggyu rejected him then he would run into his own room, call Dongwoo and ask him to talk Sunggyu down so that he won’t kick the younger male out for the night. And if he kissed him on the lips? Woohyun’s face turned red again at the thought.

 

“What is this this crap?” Sunggyu’s voice breaks Woohyun’s thoughts about the romantic holiday break he could take with Sunggyu. “Oh hyung! I figured we could celebrate the season together. You know since you can hardly make it back over the break.” Woohyun smiled plugging in the last set of lights sending multiple colors around the ceiling.

 

“And you wonder why you will fail all of your classes.” Sunggyu shook his head heading towards his room. ! This was not going as planned! He wanted the male to be over joyed at the thought that Woohyun would think of him at this time of the season.

 

“Hyung?” Woohyun asked after he climbed down from the little step stool and headed towards the hallway that was were Woohyun and Sunggyu’s room was.

 

“You always complain about failing yet you waste all your time doing silly things like this.” Sunggyu said leaving his room and heading towards the kitchen. “What do you mean silly?” Woohyun asked eyeing the mistletoe hanging carefully right in the middle of the doorway where Sunggyu was currently standing.

 

“Silly things like decorating. This is just going to make our bill go up. And you never stick around over the holidays anyway. So why bother? I’m not going to turn it on after you leave.” Sunggyu said crossing his arms.

 

Woohyun had been moving in closer to the elder not really paying attention to him but noticed the frown on his face. This wasn’t what he wanted. “I’m sorry hyung. I just thought that maybe you’d like to have a little more cheer.” Woohyun said watching his feet with interest.

 

“You should spend more time studying.” Sunggyu shook his head brushing back the younger male. Woohyun sighed as he watched Sunggyu go into his room. “Well so much for that.” Woohyun sighed reaching up to untape the green leaf above the door.

 

“And another thing-” Sunggyu started once again, probably about to start up on one of his long rants when he noticed Woohyun with his arms up in the air fiddling with the mistletoe. “Ah-! Hyung, it’s not what it-”

 

“Is that mistletoe?” Sunggyu asked walking closer. Woohyun could almost feel the tears coming now. This was NOT how this was supposed to go at all. “Yes?” Woohyun called out meekly, arms starting to feel sore from being held above his head.

 

Sunggyu looked up at the mistletoe then back down to Woohyun again. Woohyun’s heart was beating fast as Sunggyu leaned in and placed a small kiss on Woohyun’s lips. It was quick and Woohyun’s heart almost stopped as he looked at Sunggyu with wide eyes.

 

“It’s tradition right?” Sunggyu’s face was bright red and probably matched his own at the moment. “Yes…” Woohyun mumbled, his arms falling to his sides. It was awkward between the two before Sunggyu took a step back from the younger.

 

Woohyun was feeling courageous and took a step forward. He caught Sunggyu’s wrist and pulled him closer and held onto his face before bringing him into a more heated kiss. Sunggyu’s hands were pressed against his chest but made no move to push him away. When Woohyun pulled away he smiled at Sunggyu’s red face.

 

“Sunggyu, you don’t like the lights or decorations but a mistletoe is okay?” Woohyun smiled looking at the blushing elder. “Idiot! If you wanted to kiss me you should have just said so.” Sunggyu pushed away from the younger and started heading towards his room.

 

“Wait hyung! Does that mean you like me?” Woohyun asked making the elder stop in his tracks.

 

“No!” Sunggyu shouted a little too quickly which made Woohyun smile even more. “I only like smart guys!” Sunggyu slammed his door.

 

❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅

 

“What the hell is that?” Sunggyu asked looking above his door the next morning. There seemed to have been mistletoe hung over his bedroom door as well as Woohyun’s door and every doorway the elder could see from his hallway.

 

“Morning hyung!” Woohyun smiled placing a kiss on Sunggyu’s cheek and handing him a piece of paper before heading to the kitchen. Sunggyu frowned looking down at the paper. It was Woohyun’s music theory final exam paper. A nice big red 'A 100' was placed on the top of the page. At the bottom a note read ‘I am going to be a great teacher and boyfriend’ written in Woohyun's handwriting.


“Nam Woohyun!” Sunggyu shouted, already red faced following after the younger.


Hello everyone! Thank you for reading my derpy little one shot that I thought up of when watching a Hallmark movie with my grandmother. Yes the idea of the Mistletoe Kiss Test came from there. But this is just my little take on it as well. Anyway I hope you all enjoyed the little story. Thanks for reading once again and Happy Holidays!