Chapter 2: The Wish Box

The Ugly Wish
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Wish Box

 

I’ll turn 17 tomorrow. Oh, how time fast flies. 12 months to go and I’ll finally free from this hell called my own house. I’ll finally legal to do anything that I want without thinking to do house chores and keep some food for my parents when they come back from work. Who cares about mom or dad, they never think about me anyway. In their mind, work is more important than anything. I always wonder if they actually realized that they have a daughter at home. Not only that, they always forget my birthday. I never mentioned it before to anyone, but I’m actually quite sad that I have to be alone every time my birthday comes. Don’t they ever think of my feelings?

As I get up from my bed today, I get ready myself to school and head to the kitchen as I saw a small note with a 100 dollar note stucked under a pink wrapped box on the dining table. Not far from the items is, surprisingly, a plate of finely served Bimbap of my favourite fillings, salmon and egg. This is so unusual of my parents to prepare a breakfast for me. It is usually either bread or nothing. Mom must have an extra time to prepare this before going to work. I take a bite of the Bimbap before reading the note they left earlier. It says;

Dear Lee Eun Ah

We’ll be away for a month. Guess what? They have found some interesting items in Kyoto recently and we are responsible to examine and investigate about it. Oh, I am so excited >.< Make sure to take care of house. Oh and I forgot to tell you. We found a parcel delivered for you in front of the door last night. Weird, they usually will ask us to pick up for ourselves at the post office. Anyway, don’t forget to study for exam and college entrance, it’s nearing and there’s no time for you to play. Stop hanging around with your friend.

 We’ll be back.

Mom and Dad

Yeah, and once again, they forgot to wish for my birthday. Mom and dad . I won’t be waiting for them to come home. It’s good if they don’t come home. It’s not like we’re going to meet or anything.

I look at the watch and I almost choked my food. I only have 10 minutes left to reach school. I hurriedly buckle up my shoes and cycled myself quickly to school, leaving everything behind. If I’m late for school, I’ll be finished.

 

****

Thank god that I am not late to school again today. Last week, Mr. Oh, our school’s iest discipline teacher had warned me to not coming late to school again or my rating in school will dropped. Like I care. This never happened to the popular Kingkas or queenkas though. How unfair my stupid teachers can be.

Before entering my classroom today, I saw Daehyun walking to the abandoned old building near our school, alone. I saw him carrying something like a box too but since I have short sightedness, I couldn’t get to see what it really is. It’s weird, nobody ever dare to reach the building ever since that rumor spreads, not even the teachers. The rumor of the non-headed girl. Because of it, the old building have been closed, even before I enter the school.  Even a prestigious school like mine has a creepy history. It was said that whoever dare to enter the building, their life will be haunted by the ghost.

However, when I entered the class, my eyes widened as I saw Daehyun chatting and laughing loudly with his friends. I started to have mixed feelings-wasn’t he down there just now? Or was it all just my imagination? But I’m really sure it was him! The same hair, the same body posture… I must probably in my daydream mood again. Sigh, I must be so tired with all the schoolworks and exams. I should take some rest. Thank god it’s going to be 2 long weeks of holidays. Really need it though.

****

The long school hours have finally ended and now I am on my way home. Although it has passed for hours, I am still wondering what the hell did I just saw this morning. I hope it was just one of my delusional imaginations. If it really have something to do with the infamous non-headed girl, then it is not too pleasant to know.

As I am cycling slowly down the road, my eyes are attracted to two familiar figures standing, heading towards each other near the post box. The girl, who has long wavy dark hair and a petite-sized body is looking downwards while a tall guy with brown hair is looking at her. I know them very well. It’s Daehyun and Minah. They seem like conversing something really seriously that even I could feel the tension from afar.

As I cycled passed them, Daehyun suddenly shifted his eyes to me and we did an instant eye contacts, that I could feel my cheeks are burning in tomato red and my lips automatically forms a creepy yet happy smile to him. He smiled back to me. Adrenaline started to rushing about in my body. I couldn’t think very well. My heart is thumping real hard, my hands started to shake as well as I could feel butterflies fluttering in my stomach. But just as my mind started to float in cloud nine, I then come back to sense and cycle carefully. I nearly hit the lamp post in front. That was really close.

Today is really a fortunate day for me. I still feel in delight whenever I think of the small scene I had with Daehyun just now. Now that I think of it back, I still have a chance to talk to him.  I need to do it!

****

I arrived at home not long after that. It is getting dark. I parked my bicycle at the garden behind my house and immediately enter the house and heads to the kitchen because I feel so thirsty from all the school matters and cycling. After grabbing a can of Pepsi from the refrigerator, I noticed a medium sized box on the dining table. I then suddenly remember that mom had mentioned that someone had sent something for me. Weirdly, the postman posted it right in front of my house instead of posting it into the mail box like they usually do. I examined the box to find the address of the sender but I found nothing, making it more suspicious. I decided to take the box to upstairs so I can open it up after taking a bath and doing my homework. The weather is getting hotter these days!

****

I take a glance at the clock. It is already 11.00 at night and it is raining cats and dogs outside, making it cold this night. I just finished my schoolworks, although there’s no school until the next two weeks. I couldn’t sleep. It is 30 minutes to go and I’ll finally turn 17. I stared at the white ceiling as I try to memorize how many people actually remember my birthday. My birthdays always fall on holidays, so not many really can wish me a “Happy Birthday” and congratulates me like others do. Not many know that my birthday fall on the 14th of February. It’s because nobody seems like they really care. Not even my parents remember it. Only Sungjong and Keiko took care of it and will eventually wish me every year with their sweetest messages or phone call

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter