Chapter 1

The Ugly Wish
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When you are not pretty, no one gives a damn on what you do or what happens to you. It’s true. That is what I’m currently facing into.

Ever since I was a 5 years old toddler,  I was taught on being the best and never disappoint everyone who depends on you. But when they got what they want, they will eventually leave, or just left me hanging and go through all the risks by myself. My parents are always not being around me because they are always busy with work. They are never here when I wake up before going to school and were never there before I went  to sleep every night. I don’t even  know what are their occupation but from they want me believe from the notes and messages they left on our grey refrigerator and under the food cover, they are working on a research that have something to do with our country.

Sometimes I forgot how they look like. It has been 10 years already.

If you ask me if I miss them, of course I do. I really do. I need them almost everyday. But they are never there.

At school, the story is almost the same. I am an achiever in school. I am always on the top 10 of the whole school and been praised for being the champion of the Mathematics’ Olympiad championship last year at a very young age. I still remember how happy they my friends and teachers looked like when I answered the final question that not even the opponent who became the champion last year could answer, and I was proud that the screw in my cerebrum suddenly worked and brings us the main reward that rise up the title of our school. Our school now topped the other schools in South Korea because of the championship.

But not me.

Although it was me who was responsible for winning the competition, the one who was being looked up to and always being the talk of the school is Minah. Everyone thinks she does. Ever since the competition, teachers have been telling the whole school to be like Minah. Be like her, study like her. Minah, Minah, Minah. The whole school must be Minah. It is always her.

To me, she is just a filler in our team. She literally did nothing. She only answered one stupid question and bang! Now she’s everyone’s favourite. She does not deserve to be in the team at the first place. Mrs. Hwang, our teacher chose her because Minah is her niece and she is the captain of the cheerleader and plus we are lack of team mates.  I don’t really like her diva-ish attitude. She is a pain the neck.She was never there for practice. She is never be in the team. So why is she the face of our team?

Simple, because people are too blinded by looks and fame. And what am I? Well, I don’t look like the other girls. I’m not pretty. I don’t have S-lines, V-lines or other lines that other Korean thinks are pretty or adorable. My personality is full of negativity, because I talk what my mind thinks are right. I’m rebellious, just so you know.

 I don’t act cute like Minah nor Sunny. I’m just as cold as the stone.

Hi, I’m Lee Eun Nah, and I’m turning 17 in a few days. I’ve heard so many good things about being a 17 years old teenage; we’re going to experience stuffs like having matured face and mind, lady like attitude and people will love us more.

Talking about appearance, I don’t have a babyface skin like the rest of my Koreans society have. My face is a bit darker with pimple scars everywhere that makes me look the same as one of the grumpy monsters in a horror movie I watched when I was little. My nose is big, my eyes are too slanted, I don’t have double eyelids and my hair is a huge mess. I wear thick lens spectacles all the time because it’s easier than wearing contact lens where only “cute and confident” girls wear in school. I must admit I am a faithful eater of junk and fast foods, but I ain’t an obese, just an overweight. But I do admit that I look ugly. I don’t really care.

Not caring  at all until I knew Jung Daehyun, the new boy in school who just moved from Busan last February.

Daehyun in my eyes is not as perfect as anyone would think he is. When he first introduced himself, his accent was thick. The whole class laughed loudly, even the quiet girl Hyorin laughed at his accent. Even his odd appearance became the talk of the school.Nobody wanted to befriend with him and I still remember that he got a week of distortion by the whole school that he skipped lunch at the c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter