Chapter 2

In your Memories

Sungyeol groaned in pain at the feeling of blood not circulating in his arm. He found it strange that his arm felt like it was being squashed but thought that it was because of the poor blood circulation that was going on in his arm. Turning his body over to his side, he opened his eyes and jumped to the corner of his bed, nearly screaming out of the top of his lungs at the sight of a certain ghost watching him intently as he grinned for the good reaction.

“What are you doing here? I told you to sleep on the sofa!”

“Uh… no you didn’t. You asked me, ‘who said you’re sleeping with me?’ Plus, I’m not even sleeping with you. I was just observing you the whole night.” The other said not worrying about the horrified look Sungyeol had on his face that moment. “Weren’t you going to school today? I believe you’re late.” Myungsoo said

“W-what? What happened to my alarm?!” Sungyeol exclaimed as he rushed to get himself ready.

“Alarm? Oh, I turned it off cause it looked like it was disturbing your beauty sleep.” The male answered while playing with his hair.

Sungyeol smacked the ghost on the head before running out of the house. His surroundings were all a smudge in his eyes as he ran like his life depended on it. He couldn’t afford to skip any of his classes or his father would order him to return. Arriving at the school, he noticed there weren’t any students roaming around and guessed it was because school had already started. Going up the stairs, he was beginning to find the fact that there was barely anyone in the school, weird. Knocking on his classroom door, he slid it open; revealing an empty classroom.  Cautiously sitting down on his seat, he turned to his phone to look at the time. Rage overcame him when it told him it was still six thirty. He was thirty minutes early. Eyes snapping to a certain ghost who lay lazily on the teacher’s desk, he complained, “What do you mean we’re late?! Cause it seems like we’re - really early!”

Instead of an expected apology, Myungsoo had a stupid grin on his face (according to Sungyeol) as he responded with a, “Just wait for it.”

Before he could question the male’s words, he heard the door slide open, revealing a familiar brunette. Eyes widening at the ‘coincidence’ he turned to look at the other, who made a peace sign. “Talk to him while I try to see if I can retrieve my memory or something.” Myungsoo said, getting closer to the brunette.

“K-Kim Sunggyu, right?” Sungyeol started a bit too awkwardly.

“Yeah and you?” Sunggyu replied nonchalantly, not having that much interest in socializing with his classmates.

“Lee Sungyeol. So how do you find this school?” He slightly cringed at how awkward that had sounded.

“There isn’t much to say about this school. Now I would like it if we could just mind our own businesses.” Sunggyu replied not bothering to glance at the other as he pulled out his phone.

Sungyeol looked at Myungsoo- who was staring intensively at the brunette- as he mouthed out his complaints. It had been a long time since he last actually held a conversation and so he had no idea what he should or could say; especially when the other person was a person like Sunggyu- who had no interest in continuing the conversation. Taking a deep breath, he tried again. “Why did you come here so early?” He bit his lips when he heard a sigh.

“I prefer the silence than noise.”

‘That didn’t respond my question!’ Sungyeol thought, wanting to end the agony of having this conversation that was clearly going nowhere. “Ask him why he transferred here!” Myungsoo said as he fixed his gaze on the brunet’s head.

“What? That’s obviously stepping in his comfort zone!” He retorted forgetting that Sunggyu was right next to him- earning a glare and a look of someone who was clearly creeped out. Clearing his throat he tried making the question come out as natural as possible, “Um… so what made you transfer here?”

“Not you.” Sunggyu answered coldly. “Now can we please just stay in silence?”

‘Well someone’s going to have a lot of friends. ‘ Sungyeol thought, bitter at the treatment he was receiving. It made him want to quit the whole thing but imagining a lonely Myungsoo, wandering around being ignored by people made him regain his strength to continue. ‘Should I just get straight to the point and ask him about you, Myung?’

“Alright. Just… make sure to be slow about the way you approach it.” He heard Myungsoo say from behind the brunet.  

Preparing himself, he cleared his throat. “Kim Myungsoo.” He mumbled.

It was obvious to anyone in that room that the color from Sunggyu’s face drained. Sungyeol could hear the other’s breath starting to get uneven. By the way Myungsoo was giving him a look of disbelief and worry; he guessed this wasn’t the best way to approach things. Getting up from his seat, he stepped closer to the boy. Seeing Sunggyu leap out of his seat and grab him by the collar he assumed it was once again a wrong choice. “How do you know him?!”

Sungyeol felt that he should try and calm down the other. Raising his hands he acted as if he was genuinely confused and bewildered by the response. “I was t-talking to myself! He was my friend in middle school. How do you know him?”

Sungyeol let out the breath he was holding in when the brunet finally calmed down and let go of his grip on his collar. Sunggyu sighed and slumped back on his chair. He gave Sungyeol an unsure look but started talking anyway. “Never saw you between his friends, but I guess I never saw him behind his smile. The fake one. The one he always used on me to reassure me. Was he also like that with you?”

“Y-yeah. He was always like that.” Sungyeol forced a small smile while forcing on a sorrowful look. “I wasn’t actually friends with him. I was just an admirer. I had countless nights of tossing and turning when that a-accident happened.”

Sunggyu’s face hardened. Gritting his teeth he glared harshly at him making Sungyeol think he said something wrong. “Accident?! He had cuts all over his body!” Sunggyu opened his mouth to continue but immediately shut it up and covered it with a hand. Standing up in a rush, he knocked over a chair.  He hurried out of the classroom.

‘What was that?’ Sungyeol raised a brow at the other’s actions.

“He remembered a memory… it was pretty bloody.” Myungsoo said, taking a seat in front of him. “It was blurry so I don’t recognize much.”

“What about your memories? Anything flicker?”

“I do sort of remember about my school life. I just don’t have a clue about my family.”

Sungyeol nodded and both of them stayed in silence. Thinking about it, He thought he should understand more about how Myungsoo was in the past. It would help his lies with Sunggyu or whoever he met work better. “So, tell me about what you remember about yourself.”

Myungsoo gave a small shrug, “It isn’t all that grand. It seemed like I was pretty popular- with both genders. Teachers didn’t seem to hate me. Grades were pretty average. It’s just that I haven’t seen Sunggyu anywhere in my memory. Maybe he was a neighbor? Or a childhood friend?”

“What was your personality like? The same as now?”

Sungyeol frowned when Myungsoo nodded. This wasn’t going to help them much. He knew in order to get more information; he would have to become much friendlier with Sunggyu. It was going to be hard for someone who barely socializes with anyone.

The footsteps and shouts of students startled him out of his steps. Realizing he was still at school, he shook the thoughts away and took out his books. He was planning to focus on studying. It seemed like Myungsoo had gone to check on Sunggyu seeing as he was nowhere to be found in the room.

 


 

The bell ringing got all the students packing their bags, ready to leave. Sunggyu hadn’t appeared for his classes, his bag still left next to his desk. Grabbing the bag, Sungyeol headed toward the infirmary- doubting that he’d still be in the bathroom puking.

Sliding the door open, he peeked in the room. Checking the absence of the school’s nurse, he entered the room. It was all white, with three beds with curtains on each side- parallel to each other. Looking through each bed, he found Myungsoo floating on top of Sunggyu. His face was about an inch away from touching the guy’s face. A strange bitter feeling spread through his chest area. The feeling was foreign and unwelcome to him.

“Oh! Sungyeol, you finally came!” Myungsoo floated away from the guy and grinned. “Gladly, he puked only once before coming here and going to sleep.”

“Did you read his mind? Can’t you read what he’s thinking right now?”

“Sadly, I can only read someone’s mind through their eyes. It’s sort of hard to read his eyes. I mean, it’s… a bit small. He also had his eyes closed for most of the time too. I think.”

Sungyeol bit his lip. This was going to be harder than he thought. Looking back at the sleeping figure, he decided to wake him up. “Hey Sunggyu, it’s already time to go home.” It didn’t do much good for a person who was deep into sleep though. This time shaking him, he repeated in a much louder voice. “Sunggyu! Wake up!”

Sunggyu groaned, rubbing his face. Lifting himself from the bed, he leaned on an arm. His eyes slightly widened when he noticed the unexpected presence. “Sungyeom? What are you doing here?”   

“It’s Sungyeol...” The apologetic he earned made him forgive the other. “You left your bag in the classroom so I brought it. Since I’m alrady here, let’s go home together.” Sunggyu had one again an unsure look on his face but Sungyeol’s small smile seemed to have convinced him somehow.

Handing Sunggyu his bag, they headed out of the school- a ghost right on their tails. It was quiet between them, Sungyeol not wanting to ruin their blossoming friendship with careless words and Sunggyu seemed to be lost in his thoughts. They were halfway to the subway when the other started speaking. “Hey, you said you admired Myungsoo right? What was he like at school?”

Sungyeol was glad he had asked Myungsoo before about it and repeated his exact words. “Didn’t he ever have mood swings?” He heard the other ask. He tilted his head in response, a gesture that meant he didn’t understand the question.

“Most of the days he would be cheerful, but there were these days where he wouldn’t talk and glare. It wasn’t frequent but it happened about once a month. Did that never happen to you?”

Sungyeol obviously didn’t know what to respond to that. He decided to play the admirer card again. “I’ve only seen him sometimes. On all those occasions, he seemed to have always been cheerful.”  Thankfully, Sunggyu stopped prying and focused on the road. Wondering what else he could ask, a question came to mind. “Hey Sunggyu, what was your relation with Myungsoo?”

Silence filled the air. He saw Myungsoo walk backwards as he stared deeply into the eyes of the guy next to him. It seemed like Sunggyu was contemplating between his answers. He looked almost scared to respond. Before Sungyeol could call of the question, they arrived at the subway. The brunet quickly waved goodbye, walking away from him.

“He was totally waiting for this moment, wasn’t he?” He muttered mostly to himself.

“By the way he was scared to respond, maybe we were lovers? Or maybe he had a crush on me?”

Sungyeol frowned. The bitter feeling he had almost forgotten about from earlier started to slowly come back. Breathing in and out he turned to look at Myungsoo who was looking at him in a questioning way. “What?”

“Do you… hate gays?” Myungsoo asked, eyeing him cautiously. Confused by the sudden accusation he stared at the other in silence, hoping he would get the hint and do him a favor of explaining. “I mean, when I suggested that Sunggyu could have had romantic relations with me, you made an ugly face. So I was just wondering.”

“I don’t really mind. I mean it’s not like that’ll change anything. He’s gay for you, not me.” He said in a jokingly manner.

“But then, why the ugly face then?”

Sungyeol didn’t know how to explain what he had just felt and concluded it would be better to keep quiet about it. “Are you calling my thinking face ugly?”

“I’m just saying.” Myungsoo laughed as he floated up into the sky shouting, “LAST ONE HOME IS A ROTTEN EGG!”

“THAT IS SO CHILDISH!” Sungyeol screamed back, rolling his eyes, “AND UNFAIR!” His eyes darted to the ground when he realized people were staring at him. He dashed home grinning like a madman anyways.