Of White and Black Keys

Of White and Black Keys

Kyuhyun looks at the still organ located inside the apartment. He had never thought of using it or even opening the closed lid again and for the past years after he had played with it he surprises himself when he lazily walked to the stool and sat on it, having the nostalgic feeling running inside him. He opens the lid and gape when he sees the organ keys all painted in white, he furrows his eyebrows as he sees a piece of paper. He opens it and tears started to stain his face.


'Kyuhyun-ah?' Sungmin mumbled as he opened his eyes and heard the sweet notes played by his little lover. There was no answer so he sat up only to find Kyuhyun sitting on the piano stool, big t-shirt hanging loosely on his shouldrs and his hair messed up quite hotly. Sungmin got up and trailed towards the latter.

He s his arms around Kyuhyun who had his eyes close as he trail his fingers over the white keys. Sungmin nuzzled deep in the back of his neck and scented in the sweet smell of lavenders and of Kyuhyun. 'Why up so early?' Sungmin asked and the sitting man still didn't answer him. Instead, he continued to play with the white keys alone and create sweet yet hanging music.

'Always the white key, Kyuhyun-ah, why don't you try pressing the black keys, too?'

The latter looked at him but still play, never the less. 'You are the black keys, hyung,'  Kyuhyun explained, 'You are to complete my broken music.' He added and looked back staring at the notes.

Sungmin smiled and pulled up as he rest his chin on the latter's shoulder and placed a light kiss on his cheek. Kyuhyun leaned his head and stopped playing as he gazed towards the older man.

'Play with me, hyung,' Kyuhyun sweetly whispered and Sungmin nodded as an answer. He pulled back his arms and sat beside the the lanky man. 

Kyuhyun started off with a note of C and Sungmin followed next, pressing keys of black as he went trailing notes in white. The two of them matched and paired together, a song played won't be the same if one or the other is missing. Playing an organ won't be of use at all if either the black or white key is left unplayed. Kyuhyun looked at Sungmin and shyly smiled.

Sungmin smiled back as he leaned near and kiss his lips as he press lingering black keys. 'Let's play like this Hyunnie,' Sungmin mumbled in between kiss and Kyuhyun replied by pressing another minor white key and a genuine smile.




Kyuhyun looked at the organ and trailed soft touches on the keys. He was the white key and never in his entire life with Sungmin he had dared to touch the black keys. It was Sungmin's role and Sungmin is the only one who completes him. It won't be the same, he thought. So he really is shock to see all keys painted in white and can't help but cry.

He looked at the letter and reads the words Sungmin had written for him before he passed away. He smiled and tried to play a sweet melody they used to play together. And as if feeling Sungmin's presence, he continues to play, playing and hitting the notes with all might, happiness and all the wonderful memories he had to spend with the older guy flashed inside his mind and he can't help but cry some more and smile at the same time.

He thought that it still wouldn’t be the same. Feeling Sungmin beside him as he play everyday back then and knowing that Sungmin is there to play with the black keys with him, won't be the same again. But he relaxes and continues to play, playing it for him and for Sungmin; playing it for their undying love.



Hyunnie,

I may be gone, but I'll watch over you always. I want to hear your sweet music, still. So I'm painting it all white. You can play for the both of us even though it's only you who's playing.