X-Man.

Pinocchio

*Some time in October, 2004*

 

The Korean variety show, X-Man. A show watched by many. And here I am, on the set, greeting my sunbaes. How did this happen? I'm not even good at doing variety shows. How will today go?

Jinhye stands in the back corner of the room while her manager introduces her to the director of the show. The old man holds his hand out and Jinhye shakes it while bowing. "So, Jinhye, I know this is your first variety show. I'm sure that if you just do whatever you think is funny, even if it isn't, everything will be fine." The director smiled, but the grip on Jinhye's hand tightened.

"Yes, sir. I will do my best." She smiled and bowed once more after his hand left hers.

After the man walked away, her manager, Sungjae turned to her. "I'm sure your sunbaes will make it into a funny situation even if you do screw something up." He patted her on the back. "Shinhwa will help you along, so don't worry."

A woman came over and began to give Jinhye the instructions for when she goes out. "So, you'll be in the middle of the line that will go to the right. Just follow everyone when you go out. I assume that you've seen the show, so you know what will happen next. When Jaesuk calls your name, just get up on the platform and dance a little. It doesn't have to be too long. Just make it as y as you can."

Jinhye nodded and the woman wished her luck before leaving to instruct others. "We're on in five!" Someone shouted and Sungjae led her to the back of the set to get ready. Yoo Jaesuk, Kang Hodong, and Kim Jaedong went to the front to do the opening. When they finished, everyone came out from the back with Jinhye following Oh Yoonah. She was on the Kang Team with Ji Sangryul, Andy, Eric, Hyesung, Oh Yoonah, and Lee Youngeun. The first person to be called up to dance was Yoon Eunhye from the Kim Team.

Just like expected, Eunhye danced really well, and when Junjin was called next, Jinhye began to wonder why Jaesuk was calling all the good people first. This thought was answered when Ji Sangryul made his way to the platform and began dancing strangely. It made her laugh and she began to relax a little, but it was short lived when her name was called next, "Variety newbie, Jinhye!" He pointed to her and Jinhye tried to dance ily to the platform before stepping onto it and changing her style to a cute dance. Her ending pose consisted of her hip jutted out, a hand on it, and her other hand by her eye in a peace sign.

She heard Eric laugh and returned to her spot beside Kang Hodong and Oh Yoonah. She put her hands in front of her face in embarassment and Yoonah patted her back, laughing along with Youngeun.

After everyone was finished dancing, the X-Man had to be chosen. Each person from both teams went up to the stand and placed the earbuds in their ears. Finally, Jinhye made her way to the front and just like everyone else, she put the buds in her ears. "You are the X-Man." Although it didn't show on her face, Jinhye is surprised by the unexpected sentence. In her mind, the producers would never chose someone like her to be the X-Man. It just wasn't logical. Thankfully, she could control her emotions, though.

When the X-Man selection was over, everyone went to get changed into the pants and shirt provided for them. Jinhye went to the bathroom and finished changing before all the other girls. She wanted to get out of the crowded room as quickly as possible. The girls were fixing their hair because they needed to put it up and didn't want the guys to see them while doing so. Jinhye, who could care less, walked out of the bathroom while braiding hers to the side.

"Hey, Chaemi-ah." She jumped and turned around quickly after letting her hair go half-finished. Dongwan was leaning against the wall from beside the bathroom door, his hands in his pockets.

Chaemi put her hand on her chest, over her heart, to stop herself from hitting him. After all, he is her sunbae. "Hello, Dongwan-sunbae." She bowed and when she uprighted herself again, he was no longer leaning against wall. Actually, she could see him already halfway down the hall, satisfied with his prank. "I swear-"

"What?" For the second time she jumped, and this time didn't stop her fist from flying. Chaemi gasped when Junjin stoped it from hitting him straight in the chest, with his own hand wrapping around hers. His teasing smile went straight to her head and she pulls her hand away from his before bowing silently and turning around to begin walking back to the set. Jinhye finished braiding her hair and put a hair rubberband on the end.

When she got back to the set, all the guys were standing together, talking to one another. Yoo Jaesuk smiled at her and waved her over. Jinhye walked toward him and he began talking to everyone around him again, "See, isn't it better when a woman is present? Everything brightens." Jinhye laughed at his joke and the rest of them nodded in approval.

Eric put his hand on Jinhye's shoulder, "That's my hoobae for you, always saving the day." He smiled and she laughed. The conversation between everyone continued when Eric took his hand away and Jinhye became silent again. Being the quiet, observant person she is, she took notice of Andy across from her, laughing before his gaze met hers. She smiled and he returned it.

"Okay, let's get ready now that everyone's back." The director announced and everyone went to their spots. This time Jinhye was placed in the middle of the line in between Hyesung and Youngeun. When the cameras Jaesuk introduced the next game, Horse Riding and to decide the order of who rode first, Pushing will be played.

To Jinhye, both games were stupid. She could't understand why causing someone pain made people laugh. But there she was, on a variety show that lived off of causing celebrities pain and discomfort. Maybe this was why SM didn't want her to participate in these things. The company knew that she was a calm and relaxed person who would rather stay in a small space and work on her music. So the question was: Why would they put her in the lineup of the show?

Either way, she had to do it since she had already started.

The first person from each team was called up. Eric represented the Kang Team, while Dongwan was called forward for the Kim Team. They exchaged a few words upon Jaesuk's request before starting the game. Eric attacked right when Jaesuk blew his whistle, causing Dongwan to flail his arms before falling forward.

Every Laughed at how easily the man fell, especially after telling Eric how badly he was going to beat him. Even as Dongwan sullenly made his way back to his spot, the laughter didn't stop. When everyone had finally stopped their banter, Jaesuk asked Jaedong to announce Eric's next opponent. Eunhye stepped out and Jaesuk made a remark about how she beat Hodong and was very strong. Just like Jaesuk hinted at, Eunhye won.

Next was Jinhye's turn, and to be honest she figured it would be cut out because she planned to win this round. Althobut ugh she was the X-Man she really wanted to win this round. She promised herself that she would lose the next round. So, when she stood in front of Eunhye, she said, "Don't go easy on me, sunbae."

"Aren't you two the same age?" Hodong asked.

"Yes, but Eunhye-ah debuted earlier than me. I really respect her." Jinhye said to Hodong before meeting eyes with Eunhye and smiling. They both got in position and waited for Jaesuk to blow the whistle.

When it happened, Jinhye didn't even hesitate. She pushed with all her strength, knowing that Eunhye had the ability to push her flat on her face. Jinhye didn't even make a sound as she fell foreward. When she sat up, Jinhye looked to Jaesuk, who said that she was the winner.

Thank God, I didn't make a fool out of myself by losing after being so arrogant.

 

**A/N: Sorry that I didn't update this. I was trying to make the chapter perfect (but ya know, that isn't possible). Anyway, I won't be updating for a while because I'm going to be going on vacation in a couple of weeks and I have to get my school work done (for the most part). Thanks for reading Pinocchio and I hope that you enjoyed the first chapter! Love ya guys!<3