Yes, I'm fine.

The Vengeance of Justice

Jongsuk opened the door to the stairwell with a sigh. It was about the only private space he had left and he desperately needed a space to clear his head. He sat down on the steps and massaged his head as he tried to relax. It had been a long day filled with endless meetings and Jongsuk still wasn't at his best condition after the accident. In the silence he suddenly heard vibration. The sound startled him and he called out in alarm. "Who's there?" There was no response so he called out again. There was still no response but the vibration continued. He walked cautiously towards the source of the sound and it led him two floors down, where he found Shin Hye lying unconscious on the ground. His heart beating rapidly in his chest, Jongsuk ran towards her and shook her. "Shin Hye ah, wake up." When he touched her he realised that her head was bleeding and she had bruises on her body. Judging from her position she had fallen down a flight of stairs and hit her head. Jongsuk picked her up gently and carried her to the nearest exit. 

In a few minutes, they had boarded an ambulance and were on the way to the nearest hospital. It was only whrn they were safely on the way did Jongsuk notice Shin Hye's vibrating phone. It was Sora on the line and when Jongsuk picked up Sora was frantic with worry. "PARK SHIN HYE where are you?? You've been gone for an hour!" "Sora sshi, Shin Hye is with me now. There was an accident and im bringing her to the hospital now." Sora was shocked into silence but immediately asked which hospital they were headed to. 

After ending the call, Jongsuk stared in silence at the still unconscious Shin Hye. Even the paramedics were getting worried about her unconsciousness. "The injury to her head isn't that serious, she should have woken up a long time ago." One of the paramedics commented softly. Jongsuk grabbed her hand tightly. "What happened, Shin Hye? Pkease be okay..." 

Shin Hye felt herself drifting between her nightmares and reality. On one hand she was aware of Jongsuk's presence beside her but on the other hand she couldn't tear herself away from all the memories that she was receiving. It was as if she was experiencing an alternate universe, in which Jongsuk and her were lovers who had met first in university, then working together in a law office. They started off as good friends, but after a drunken confession by Jongsuk that she had accidentally overheard, she had started to reciprocate his feelings. They had their first date at Yeuido Hangang Park, where Jongsuk had appeared in  a dashing suit and with a beautiful bouquet of lilies. She had worn a white dress that her deceased mother had left for her and when Jongsuk saw her he was speechless. That date was romantic and sweet, and it ended with Jongsuk kissing her on the forehead. From that day on her life was changed by Jongsuk. He made her smile everytime she saw or thought of him and she started to look forward to going to work. However, Jongsuk was chosen to go to London to further his studies about law. Although he didn't want to leave her, she persuaded him to go, because it was for his future.  She thought that she had persuaded herself that she would be ok as well, but when he left it felt like her world was torn apart. She had lost interest in everything and spent her days counting down to the day he would return. It was during this time that her father was involved in a murder case. The best lawyer from her firm was employed to help him fight the case, but it was stopped halfway because more evidence had surfaced, suggesting that it was a high ranking detective who had committed the offense. 

Shin Hye was initially relieved that her father was in the clear but when she realised that the detective was Jongsuk's father, she was at a loss of what to do. She told Jongsuk about the situation and told him to come back as quickly as possible but even when he did, he couldn't do anything about it. What made matters worse was that Jongsuk's father was sentenced to death. To protect her relationship with Jongsuk, she didn't tell him that Park Ji Sung was her father,  but he found out anyway. That night, when Jongsuk's father had been sentenced to death, Jongsuk had called her out and broke up with her. She knew the reason why and she didn't hate him for it, instead she hated her own cowardice, and so she let him go. She went home depressed that night, only to overhear her father on the phone, boasting that he had set Jongsuk's father up. She was horrified at the truth but was unable to tell Jongsuk about it. It was the biggest dilemma of her life and she regretted her silence deeply. When Jongsuk's mother committed suicide, it became the greatest regret of her life. She was the one who had driven Jongsuk to madness, she realised, and that day when Jongsuk had driven the truck to kill her father, she knew that she had to pay for her actions. With tears in her eyes she had ran forward and pushed her father out of the way. It was her way of atoning for her sins. 

When Shin Hye finally opened her eyes, they were tear filled and her clear eyes were gone, filled with a heavy darkness. Jongsuk, who was sitting patiently by her side, was more than startled to see this change. Shin Hye's heart ached when she saw the pale faced Jongsuk because of the return of her memories. To be able to recover from those horrific events this way, Jongsuk was indeed a strong man. She didn't want him to crumble again because of her, so she faked indifference and sat up gingerly. "Where am I? Ahh my head hurts..." she touched her bandaged head carefully as she realised that the impact on her head had jolted the return of her memories. "Are you okay?" Jongsuk asked in concern. "Yes, I'm fine." Shin Hye answered.