Blanket's Heartbeat

Blanket's Heartbeat

 

Kyuhyun looked at the small barista before him and tried his best not to laugh or get annoyed because who couldn't resist teasing him more when he's blushing madly in front of a customer.

 

He repeated his order and sighed at how the barista could be a slowpoke at times especially when he's in a hurry. “Iced mint blend full-leaf brewed tea," he instructed him and the man behind the counter nodded hurriedly. He asked for the size and immediately grabbed the venti cup. “Y-your name please?"

 

“Blanket," the man in corporate attire responded and grabbed his wallet. Stashing out the payment, Sungmin reached for the hand and stiffened steely feeling the customer's skin brushed against his. He shouldn't be stuttering and shaking in front of a customer, and especially in front of him--of all people! He'll realise that he has a crush on him and that would be just embarrassing.

 

“Are you new here, Sungmin?" Kyuhyun asked and he had to stop himself from pinching those cute puffed cheeks. His eyes are just as adorable as his pout too. He had to keep his laugh to himself because seriously, this barista is too good to be a barista. He’s smaller than him and has a very smooth white skin. He’s brown silky locks fixed in a hot manner.

 

“Sorry," Sungmin diverted him and asked, “How do you spell your name, Blankcet? or Blanket?" he frowned. Just when he thought he can get the man’s name! Or is it his real name? Who would’ve named themselves blanket! Blanket’s too innocent for this good looking man.

 

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes and grinned at him teasingly. He sure was in a hurry but the barista in front of him is a total tease. “However do you want to spell my name," he replied casually and the latter frowned confusingly. Realizing that he wouldn't just give in, he scribbled the letters b-l-a-n-k-e-t on the cup and handed it over the next counter.

 

Kyuhuyun smiled at him, getting a stern look from the other man and grabbed the receipt.

 

Sungmin served his drink and shouted Blanket’s name and Kyuhyun appeared swiftly. He grabbed the drink in a flash and left the cafe in an instant.

 

He scowled to himself and shook his head. “You embarrassed yourself in front of Blanket, Sungmin you stupid!" he whispered as he greeted another customer who was looking at him questioningly.

 

 

 

 

It was one in the afternoon and Sungmin leaned against the counter lazily feeling sleep daunting into him. The barista let out a yawn and removed his cap. It sure has been slow these few days, he thought to himself and it’s been a while since he last saw Blanket. Little by little he can feel his eyelids getting heavy when he heard someone coughed. He surprised himself and accidentally hit the cookie stand above him. The suspect laughed a little and Sungmin blinked his eyes a few times, a bit teary and red from sleep and pain.

 

“Sorry," the latter commented and looked at the boy worried, “Did you hurt yourself?" came the words, and Sungmin stiffened quite when the man reached for his head over the counter. He felt the long slender fingers run their way to his hair and the latter looked at him surprised.

 

 

“I was slacking off that's why," and the man with brown curly locks smiled warmly at him. Sungmin can feel his heart in his head! Kyuhyun dropped his hand and the barista can’t help but blush.

 

“One Iced mint blend full-leaf brewed tea please,” Blanket instructed and Sungmin quickly took the venti cup without even asking. Kyuhyun smiled as he wrote the word Blanket on the cup. He really believed that it’s his name. Upon paying, people swarmed in and Sungmin hurriedly gave Kyuhyun’s order before attending to the next customer. Kyuhyun frowned as he sip his cup and stood aside. He wasn’t able to talk to him a bit longer this time.

 

 

It has been weeks and Sungmin hasn’t still made a move to talk to Kyuhyun because he rarely see the guy and his schedule had been changed to night shift. He yawned as he made his way to the coffee shop, a couple of blocks away from his other job. He teaches kids to play the guitar. And the 6-12 midnight shift is a total bummer because his body clock was still not used with this routine. 

 

He latched his bag over his shoulder and crossed the street sleepily totally forgetting the red stoplight. Ignoring the blue truck about to hit him, he continued crossing. He stood surprise when he heard a loud honk and was steered when he can’t feel his legs move. “,” was all he can mutter when he felt someone grab him from behind, hugging him securely and pulling him away the street.

 

His heart was banging loudly in his ribcage that any moment now, it might break. He held the arms before him and for some reason, he just burst into tears and felt the hug tightened. “It’s alright,” he heard the man spoke behind him and he just continued sobbing. “It’s alright. I’m here. You’re safe now,” he assured him. The man turned Sungmin around so he can face him.

 

“Sungmin,” he whispered and the latter looked up at him, “You’re safe now, everything’s okay now,” he repeated and the other man just closed his eyes and hugged him tightly. He must be exhausted, the man thought and just wrapped assuring arms around the barista.

 

After a few minutes of crying and waiting everything to settle down, Sungmin looked up and hiccuped when he saw Blanket. Blanket was actually hugging him! He was hugging him all this time!

 

“B…blanket,” Sungmin mumbled and Kyuhyun had to smile. He can’t resist flashing his bright and warmest smile to this alluring and ever so wonderful man. 

 

Kyuhyun wiped the tears on Sungmin’s face with his palm and kissed the man’s corner of the lips. “Come on, I’ll walk you to work.” The latter just hiccuped and mindlessly tugged on Blanket’s hem of his shirt. Kyuhyun smiled and held the cold soft hands in his warm ones instead.

 

They walk in silence and once in a while Kyuhyun would steal glances to the smaller man who’s still shocked but half-smiling as they walk past the stores and people. The taller lanky man smiled to himself.

 

 

It has been a habit of Kyuhyun to drop by the coffee shop, making sure he would see Sungmin, they exchanged numbers so the barista would contact him whenever he’s on duty. They’re just friends and it’s normal between friends to exchange numbers, Kyuhyun defended. And when Sungmin asked him why he would wait for him at 6pm outside the Music centre and would walk him to the coffee shop, Kyhyun simply said that it’s normal for friends to act like this. But Sungmin didn’t believe him and Sungmin didn’t mind because now, he can spend more time with Blanket and Blanket seems to not to noticed his little, or not so little crush anymore on him.

 

When Sungmin was on night shift and was busy with work he would look around and spot Blanket where he could be once in a while. He didn’t know what has gotten into the man but Sungmin can’t help but feel loved and cared for when he would see Blanket flash him a smile behind the book or newspaper he’s reading.

 

If he has to work in the morning, Kyuhyun would drop by in the morning and in the afternoon, will order the same venti drink and will walk him to the music center by 3pm. Sungmin would always ask him why go with so much trouble and Blanket would just ignored him and excused that it’s normal for friends to do such things. Sungmin had never felt so elated.

 

 

One night, it was raining cats and dogs and Sungmin was the only worker present because the other two baristas had to go home because of other important errands to attend to. Sungmin promised them that he’ll lock the store himself and can take care of everything. Kyuhyun was sitting on his usual chair at the corner of the store reading the newspaper. Sungmin was busy cleaning the tables when he approached the man.

 

“You know,” he muttered as he wiped the tables near the man clean, “You should go home, it’s raining very hard.”

 

“And leave you here?” Blanket replied following a small laugh. The barista pouted at him and Kyuhyun had to flash his wide gummy smile after placing the newspaper down.

 

“No one reads the newspaper now except you,” Sungmin commented when a loud thunder banged the city and  everything suddenly turned pitch black. Kyuhyun froze for a short time and adjusted his eyes. He wondered what happened to the electricity. He quickly grabbed his phone from his back pocket and turned the light from the back of his phone on. He scanned it around the room and frown when he found no Sungmin in sight.

 

“Sungmin?” he asked in the wind and heard nothing. He searched under the tables and found none. Kyuhyun tried walking slowly, careful not to bump himself on the tables or chairs. He heard someone fidgeting and he smiled to himself.

 

“Sungmin, where are you?” he repeated again and he began hearing small puffs of air coming from the corner of the room or was it the other corner of the room?

 

He flashed his phone and found the barista hiding under the tray. His eyes were closed tightly and he’s definitely shaking. Kyuhyun walked towards his direction. “Sungmin,” he said leaning down and another loud thunder followed suit. Sungmin jumped off his place and still with eyes closed bumped onto Kyuhyun’s forehead. Kyuhyun let out a loud yelp and before he can grasp the idea, they’re already on the floor with a shaking Sungmin above him.

 

Feeling the body beneath him, Sungmin automatically wrapped his arms around the man’s neck when another thunder sound came. Kyuhyun smiled as he reflexively ensured protective arms around the smaller man. “Blanket,” Sungmin mumbled and Kyuhyun tried to sit up while hugging Sungmin with him. He searched blindly for his phone and frowned when the phone didn’t turn on. It must’ve broke when we fell, Kyuhyun thought.

 

“Sungmin,” Blanket whispered on his right ear. The said man looked to him blushing madly upon realizing that their faces were only centimetres apart. “Blanket,” he whimpered as he got teary staring at the man.

 

Kyuhyun kissed the corner of his lips and drew assuring circles on his back, “We need to lock the door.” Sungmin pouted. The rained hasn’t stopped yet and because of the black out, people might do something stupid when they figure out that the store is still open.  “But,” Sungmin whined and Kyuhyun had to stop himself terribly from kissing the other man.

 

“Don’t leave me,” Sungmin pouted. He was shaking visibly and Kyuhyun nodded in understanding. He stood up carefully and grabbed Sungmin’s hand. With both hands, Sungmin held Kyuhyun’s hand and together they walk blindly towards the front door. After reaching and locking it, another thunder came and Sungmin let out a loud scream before clasping his arms around Blanket.

 

Kyuhyun blindly searched for the counter. After adjusting his eyes in the dark and accomplishing the task slowly, he led the barista down the floor. He can hear the other man hiccup in fear and he smiled to himself. He sat first still holding Sungmin’s both hands. When he had adjusted to a comfortable situation, he pulled Sungmin’s arms slowly and guided him to sit on his laps. The other man obliged willingly and continued shaking as he make his way to Blanket’s laps. He placed his legs on the latter’s side and sinked his face on the taller man’s chest.

 

Kyuhyun wrapped his arms around him and kissed his forehead.

 

“Blanket, aren’t you afraid the rain? or the thunder?” 

 

Kyuhyun fell silent for a bit and kissed his forehead again, “No, I like rains. I don’t mind the thunder too.”

 

He can feel Sungmin’s lips form into a pout and kissed his forehead yet again, “Is this normal for friends to do?” Sungmin mumbled and Kyuhyun rubbed his ears ever so lovingly.

 

He cupped the barista’s face and pressed his forehead against his, “Yes,” he answered. Sure it's normal to let someon sit on your lap and kiss him anytime you want, Blanket. Yes that's normal--very, very normal.

 

Sungmin tried to adjust his eyes to scan for Blanket’s silhouette. He touched Blanket’s face and accidentally poked his eyes. “Ow,” Kyuhyun sneered and Sungmin apologised.

 

“Blan-“ even before he could finish whatever it is he’s going to say,  Kyuhyun crashed his lips on the soft plump ones lightly and Sungmin started hiccuping again. Kyuhyun thought that this is irresistibly cute as he hugged him closer and continued kissing him feeling no rejection from the other man. Sungmin placed his arms on Blanket’s locks and kissed back passionately. Totally forgetting the thunder and the heavy rain Sungmin just kissed back with his all heart, feeling delighted with the other’s lips.

 

Breaking apart to get air, and just in time because the lights turned back and Kyuhyun smiled seeing the barista’s flustered face before him.  

 

“Is this normal between friends?” Sungmin hiccuped looking down and clasping tightly on Blanket’s shirt who was leaning against the counter table. 

 

Kyuhyun let out a sigh, “I don’t know. I don’t think so,” he replied and Sungmin felt sad.

 

Blanket leaned near and kissed his still red cheeks, “But I think this is normal between lovers,” he assured him and Sungmin smiled his ever bright and cute smile.

 

“Blanket,” Sungmin whispered and Kyuhyun ruffled his hair.

 

“It’s Kyuhyun,” he kissed his lips quickly, “My real name’s Kyuhyun.”

 

Sungmin kissed the tip of his nose, “Eh? You meanie!”

 

The taller man laughed and the barista giggled as he kissed Kyuhyun’s cheek.

 

“Kyu…hyun,” he whispered and Kyuhyun sighed happily replying with hmms.

 

“Kyu-hyun,” he mumbled again and kissed Kyuhyun’s eyes. Kyuhyun replied with another hmm.

 

“Kyu-hyun,” he repeated and this time the man opened crashed his lips against the barista for another round of passionate lip locking. “Kyuhyun…” he mumbled lowly and moaned afterwards as he hugged his lover close and drown himself to the new addicting sensation.

 

 

“Iced mint blend full-leaf brewed tea for Kyuhyun!” Sungmin called out and Kyuhyun stood up from his seat and approached the counter.

 

It was a sunny sleepy afternoon and only few people occupied the coffee shop. Sungmin smiled warmly when Kyuhyun reached the counter. He leaned closer and kissed the lanky man’s lips swiftly. Momentarily Sungmin can’t seem to get enough with Kyuhyun’s name ever since he found out that Blanket wasn’t his real name. He just love how it perfectly roll into his lips.

 

“Kyuhyun,” Sungmin whispered and Kyuhyun leaned against the counter and planted himself for quite a while.

 

“Blanket,” Sungmin whispered and Kyuhyun smiled in between kiss.

 

“Kyuhyun,” Sungmin whispered yet again followed by another quick kiss. Kyuhyun slapped his cap lightly making him stop and to go back to work. Sungmin pouted at him and smiled, “What?”

 

Kyuhyun grabbed the venti cup and kissed the barista for the last time and walked back to his chair. Sungmin called out his name not too loudly for the last time.

 

“Kyuhyun,” Kyuhyun looked back and Sungmin smiled widely, “I love you.”

 

He almost choked himself and a small hint of pink tainted his cheeks. He walked back towards the smaller man and kissed him on the forehead. “I love you too.”

 

 

A/N: I seriously don't know what happened with the unity and fluidity of this fic, but I really am hoping that it made sense, everything made sense. Please do comment ^^